- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24 - THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN AND LIKE FATHER LIKE SONS...


BRITIN COTTAGE - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


MEL


“When did you start to suspect?” I put the glass of water down in front of Jewel.


“Pretty much the moment we met them…”


“We?” I try to quell my panic.


“Me and Pearl.” She smiles. “I take it Brian knows, but Lindsay doesn't, nor does Jenny. The ickmeister clearly didn’t. Him losing interest in her had a pay off.”


“Indeed.” I sit opposite her, unsure what she is going to do with my, albeit reluctant, confirmation that Ted, and not Michael is Jenny’s birth father. “So…”


“Do you intend to tell Jenny before or after he officially adopts her?”


“After.” I reply carefully.


“Why? Why not just tell her and get it out in the open?” Again she smiles. “It was the greatest feeling in the world, hearing his voice, and them speaking for the first time ever.”


“Did they really tell each of you that you had died? How…”


“Yep. And because they could. Where we lived still exercised a form of segregation, though not in an obvious-to-outsiders way, but me and Emmett just fell in love the moment we met, despite me being older than him, as friends I might add. Ooh, they were peeved, and my family were the top dog family, richest by far in money, not humanity and compassion…”


“But to say you both died though.” I frown.


“We are dead to them, especially after Pearl began to show.”


“Show? I got the impression that you ran immediately.” I point at the coffee machine, she shakes her head. “Tea then?”


“Try again.” Jewel grins, and pulls a bottle of Barolo out of her bag. I grab the glasses and rejoin her at the table. “My regular taster is out of commission, so you are deputising.” She explains as she pours a tasting amount then waits. 


I take mine and swirl it. “It's got good legs.” I hedge.


“Yes you do, you should show them off.”


“Are you flirting with me?” I chuckle.


“Only if it is working.” She blushes slightly.


“I will let you know.” I return, and wave the glass at her. “Fill her up.” I order. “So…” I begin as she pours. “...will you tell anyone else?”


“Not until you say we can, but would tell those who know that we know, and also Blake suspects.”


“Blake, who’s Blake?” I look over the rim at her. She really is very pretty, a juxtaposition to Lindsey's coldness. I should imagine she is all heat! I gasp at the thought, and push it out of my mind immediately!


“What the hell is that look for, what were you thinking?!” She laughs.  


“Nothing!” I exclaim, and will the blush to recede. “So, Blake?”


“Blake Wyzecki, but used to be Throlstom, is the…”


“Guy that Ted is in love with!” I squeal.


“In love...now, Mel, I need you to be absolutely certain on this. He is in love with him?!” 


“Absolutely! He was devastated when he went to LA, but it was his one chance...why are you excited?”


She hands me her phone. “Because of this. What is in your fridge? This needs a belting marbled steak or chicken thighs. Any chance you have one of those and some bacon and cheese?”


“Both.” I state before putting her phone down and joining her by the fridge. We take the things she needs out in silence. I give a slight squeak when she pushes me gently back towards the table. “Uh…”


“Check out the phone whilst I make lunch, am going to make you a chicken thigh tendered bacon and cheese sandwich.” I start to drool. I don’t even know what chicken tendered is, all I know is that it sounds good, she looks great, and I am hungry! “Go and see what we saw every day.” She grins.


I retake my seat and look at the photo. At first, I just see is a kitchen, a guy, and lots of food; but then I spot it. “Oh my goodness! How sweet!” I cry then sniff. “Can you send me that?!”


“Why? So you can send it to Ted?” I nod. She grins, seems she grins a lot. “No, can’t do that. Check out the text messages to see why.” She turns back to the stove. I check them out and gasp. “Uh huh, terrible, terrible behaviour!”


I start to giggle as I take in the picture of Blake and Ted in bed, Ted is sleeping, and Blake has captioned the photo with ‘finally!’, and a slew of love hearts. “He was his muse…” I murmur as I think back to the first photo of Blake in his kitchen, and just to the side of the stove is a picture of Ted. “...so sweet!” I put her phone down and join her at my stove. “What do you need me to...what is that?!”


She chuckles. “This is chicken fat from the skin of the thighs, which I shall cook the bacon and thighs in, and the egg instead of cheese, I was going to put the skin on top, but this needs unctuousness, which you will get from the sunny side egg.” 


“They will kill me if I tell them about it,  but don’t know how to do it.” I whimper as the smell of the rendered fat hits me.


“Okay, first you bring the glasses and bottle over here!” I am back in a flash. “Oh, instant obedience, I like that in a girl!”


GREENHITHE RESIDENCE - AFTERNOON


SUMMER ROOM


JENNIFER


Debs doesn’t say anything for a while. She has just heard his ‘version of events’ from Grace, and let’s just say it is a vast difference between what he said and what she said. 


“Debs?” Grace taps her arm. “Are you alright?” 


“Hmmm. He followed in his father’s footsteps, but played it out differently. I mean, he lost interest in Michael, but hid it better. I’d say when he was about four.”


“Which is when I had…”


“George.” She looks annoyed, I am unsure why and it shows. “I liked the name George for Michael, but he hated it.”


“Ah, I see. Yes, he still does, but I told him, since I spent seven hours pushing him out, which was six hours and fifty eight minutes longer than it took to put him in there, his name was down to me!” Debs and I blink for a few seconds before we both burst out laughing. “At least you only did it once! Booze and a lack of batteries was my excuse for caving, but I got Reva out of that fifty seconds.”


“She is right!” Debs hoots.


“Who?” Grace chuckles, then tops up our glasses.


“Jennifer! We three are going to be great friends!” She cackles, and takes a deep sip.


GRACE


“Mom!” I roll my eyes as George’s voice makes my back stiffen.


“Oh great, it’s up!” I sigh. Jennifer squeezes my arm. “George…” I explain to a perplexed Debs. “...is back here after yet another failed relationship, which was entirely his fault!”


“Michael is the same.” She sighs. “But he is not living with us. Carl wouldn’t have that. He is living with the mother of my grandson.” 


“Now let me get this straight, Jen filled me in a bit, so your first born twin son became friends with Michael without knowing that they are brothers, and he, Brian, was brought up by your late and dear friend, Kiki?” She nods sadly. “And he's been behaving like someone puked up his dick ever since he found out?”


“Puked up his dick?” Debs repeats slowly. “I have to remember that, but yeah, that’s the gist of it.”


Mom! Where are you?! I need a favour!”


“Of course you do!” I growl as I rub my temple. “Can you give me a few seconds? He won’t take long, just like his father!”


“Ouch! Grace, for heaven's sake, stop it!” Jen splutters as she inhales her wine through her nostrils.


Before I can get to the door, George strides in. “Oh, there you are! Hi, Aunt Jen! And who is this beautiful lady?” He is all solicitation, but I know him! The moment they are gone, he will be bellyaching about them being here like he pays rent! “I would’ve remembered meeting such a divine lady as yourself.” He extends his hand towards Debs, but she doesn't take it. Instead, she puts her glass down, stands up, and smacks him across the face! “What the hell?!” He screams.


“Consider yourself Liberty Avenue slapped!” She steps closer to him, he scrambles back clutching his cheek. “And I am going to pummel you until you pay your bill! Nobody runs out on my diner!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.