- Text Size +

CHAPTER 35 - HER JEALOUSY AND LOVE...PART ONE


BRITIN - SATURDAY MORNING


JUSTIN’S ROOM


JUSTIN


I look across at Brian, then return to my drawing. After last night’s developments, once they were turfed out, he wanted to leave. We went out the back way at Jewel’s insistence. 


“Can I see risque one? Today is going to be rough.” His slightly groggy voice floats over from the bed. “Please?” I put my pad down and head to the cupboard, whilst he goes to the bathroom. Once I pull one out, I pour him a glass of fizzy. He leans against the headboard with a smile. “I’m ready.” I put it against one of the posts at the bottom of the bed, his eyes widen. “And when did we do that?”



“We haven’t. Want a closer look?”


“Please.” He sighs. When he takes it off me, he rests it on his knees. “So where did it come from?”


“Remember when you and Daph caught me…”


“Ah, the ottoman fantasy. Yeah, I remember, you tasted very sweet.” He strokes the pictures. “This is just exceptional. Which reminds me, I must sort out your showing, but first we should go and feed Tonka and Beam.” I am surprised at the abrupt change in his manner, it must show, as he places the picture against the bedside cabinet and lies down. I lay on top of him when he pats his chest. 


“The wait has been awful. I do and don’t want to watch it, do you understand?” I kiss his chest. “But whilst I am in this mood, the love making is not going to be good. I want to be…”


“Not dwelling on it. I understand. We’ve got plenty of time.” I smile at him. “Now come on, let’s get them sorted out and breakfast made!” 


KITCHEN - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Daphne has just called. She’s asked us all to come to her office instead. I am pleased about that, as it doesn’t sully our home. I pause at that thought...our home. Yes, we had the boyfriend conversation whilst in California, but to think of this as our home, feels...it feels good. 


“Morning, Dad, why are you looking so goofy?!” Gus laughs as he bumps my shoulder.


“I am not looking goofy, the very idea!” I retort. “Justin and I are about to do breakfast, you want some before you go over to Hunter’s?”


“Nah, thanks, Aunt Leda is making some of her infamous pancakes. Haven't had pancakes in a while. Then, when Aunt Daph comes, we’ll all be ready.” This causes me to stiffen a little. “Dad, I want to be there for you and Uncle Brandon, so no arguing. Will see you back here for one, the appointment’s at two, right? I know roughly what happened in your childhood, this is just the next stage of laying that ghost to rest. Okay?”


“Alright.” I sigh, and bump his shoulder. 


“Hey, Justin! Want me to feed the boys for you?”


“Hey, Gus! No, it’s okay. We were just going to do it.” Justin smiles as he comes in with their food. 


“Daph called. The appointment has been moved to her office, so could you do me a favour? Please call around everyone and let them know?”


“Of course, Dad will do that now, then go to Hunter’s.”


“Thanks, Sonny Boy.” I catch the look on Justin’s face. “What?”


“I am glad, glad that she moved it to her place. This is your sanctuary, where you feel safe, like at Debs and Carl’s.”


“Yeah, it’s our home. Let’s go feed our boys.”


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


CARL


I watch as she listens to Michael. He called about 10 minutes ago, and she’s been looking pissed ever since. “What’s going on?” I whisper.


“Hold it, Michael.” She puts him on mute. “He wants to come to Brian’s appointment today…”


“What for?! Neither Brian nor Bran will want that!” 


“Damn right they won’t! And on top of that, he wants you and me to meet up with him and Matthew for dinner this evening; guess where he wants to go?!”


“Oh no, not Woody’s?! No, not going to happen. We need to concentrate on Brian and Brandon, those two can definitely wait a few more days. Give me the phone, let me wrap this up, then we start cooking.” Sighing with relief, she hands it over. “Michael, it’s Mr Horvath. Dinner cannot happen this evening, nor can you come to the appointment. Why not? Because it has nothing to do with you. No it doesn’t! This is their business, or do you only remember your brothers when you think you can get something over or from them?!” I hang up, when he calls back less than a second later, I send him to voicemail, then turn it off. “Let me just text Brian and Bran and tell them to call me instead of you.”


“Thanks, sweetheart. Right, let’s get this started! First, I think we should do the congee.” She starts to pull out pans.


“Why that? I’d have thought that the Kiki dish would’ve…”


“Me too, but…” She smiles. “...it’s the first meal that Justin cooked for him when he was sick with the flu. And…” Her smile widens. “...Brian asked me to cook it for them, as they would most probably not be in the mood.”


“Them?” I look up from my phone. “So where’s the recipe?” 


“Here.” She waves a piece of paper. “Brian gave it to me last night, seems he’s had it once more since then, knows it by heart.”


BRITIN - FORTY MINUTES LATER


RECEPTION


BRIAN


I am getting a headache. Poor Gus looks so apologetic, but it’s not his fault. Seems that somehow Lindsay and Michael have gotten wind of the appointment, now she is in the hallway demanding that she be allowed to come, whilst Michael is going to see Mel.


“Dad, I really am sorry…”


“Don’t be.” I rub his shoulder. “She…”


“I have a name, you know?!” Lindsay carps. “If Gus is going to be there, I can’t see why I can’t be there to support my son!”


“But he’s not your son.” Justin scowls. “It is not Gus who is having the appointment, Brian is, and he’s not your son.”


“You know full well what I meant, Justin…” She grits out. “...this is going to be a very trying time for all of us, and…”


“Us? What us?” Justin frowns. “The only people that are going to be at the appointment other than Dr Chanders, Brian and Brandon are Ben, Debs, Carl, Gus, and I.”


“You? Why are you going?”


“To support Brian.” He returns, slowly my headache starts to dissipate.


“I think I am better placed to support him, having…”


“Known him longer? That gives you longevity, not depth of compassion or kindness, which in the short time I have been in your company, you have displayed a marked lack of towards both of them. You look down your nose at people until you can figure out how knowing them can benefit you, then your smarming snake routine comes into play. Well, as Brian’s friend, but more importantly, his boyfriend, I am telling you to slither off and be charmless elsewhere. Grab your fellow leech, so you can compare the fleas in your ears!”


“Brian, I am going to go, not because I was told to but because I don’t want to cause you and Gus anymore upset.” She heads to the door. “Good luck with everything this afternoon. I am always here for you both.” 


I wait for her to shut the door before turning to Justin. “Shit and double shit!” He groans. “I am sorry, Brian. If you don’t want me to…”


“No, I want you to come still.” I brush his cheek. “Sonny Boy, stop beating yourself up! Besides, by the time that she gets to the cottage, she is going to find that they both have a completely different issue to deal with.”


“Why?” They both frown.


“Mel had an overnight guest.” 


OUTSIDE MEL’S COTTAGE - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


I am about to start knocking, as she’s not answering her phone, when I hear Lindsay calling my name. “Judging by that expression, he said no.” I grumble as she gets closer.


“He did, and was backed up by his latest conquest, so humiliating. But rest assured, we will be there at the appointment, and…”


“No you won’t!” Mel yells from the window above. “Jesus, didn’t getting booted out of Woody’s give you a big enough hint?!”


“Mel, he is the father of my son, and…” 


“Can count on the fingers of one hand doing the peace sign the amount of times you have called him!” She spits. “If you are still there when I open the door, then the consequences are yours to take!”


“His erratic behaviour only adds credence to my case!” Lindsay shouts back, we both smile.


“Keep on dreaming!” Mel bangs the window shut.


“Exactly what are you two doing here?” A voice drawls. Slowly, we turn around, finding Jewel with her dogs. 


“Actually, that is a question that I should be asking you.” Lindsay retorts. “You know, since she is my wife?” 


“Shame you didn't treat me like one!” Mel snaps from the doorway. “Come on, boys!” She coos and they gallop in. 


“I am not happy with them being around Jenny!” I declare.


“Neither am I! They are listed as dangerous animals!” Lindsay adds.


“They are only as dangerous as they are trained to be. Ergo, it’s the owner you should worry about. So you ready for me?” 


“Ready for what?” Lindsay frowns.


“Not you, I am talking to Mel. I promised her breakfast in bed. Had to get ingredients, and the boys, since they are in deep smit with her. We worked up quite a sweat and an appetite.” She strides past us with an unbecoming swagger. “Something she said she never did with  you, Ms Peterson.” She calls over her shoulder before turning to face us. “A piece of advice. When you are as disliked as you two are, and when said dislikers know as much as they do about you, it would be wise not to piss them off further, so off you trot.”


“Come on, Michael.” Lindsay pulls on my elbow. “Let’s leave them to their debauchery. When you two have finished, tell Mel that I am going to instigate divorce proceedings!” 


“She’s an attorney who left you, don’t you think she’s ahead of that curve?”  


LINDSAY


As the door shuts in our faces, I resolve that three things will happen: Mel and the children will be back under my roof, obeying my terms; the barn will be my studio; and I will find out more about the man admiring Lynette. No way is she having him! I have taken many men off of her, what’s one more?!

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx