- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

WARNING: this chapter has recollections of physical abuse and miscarriage

CHAPTER 39 - PARENTS, ICE CREAM, SISTER AND DAUGHTER!


BRIAN’S WING - NEXT MORNING


BRIAN’S ROOM


BRIAN


Carefully, I open the curtains. I don’t want to annoy him too much with the sunshine. On the way back, there was a huge accident, the result of which meant we weren’t back before ten. We were all too tired to do anything but go to bed. 


When the door knocks I open it as quietly as I can. “Hi.” I whisper to Jennifer as she enters with someone else. “He's…”


“Awake.” Is muttered from the bed. “Curtains need to close.”


“And you need to lift your head.” A voice orders, which makes Justin sit bolt upright. “Don’t be mad. I knew there was something wrong, but then broke my damn leg!” The guy grumbles as he limps in. “Still not right, but here I am.” He sits at the top of the bed. 


“Idiot took three planes!” Jennifer gripes as she carries in with a footstool. “Okay, lift your foot.” 


“He’s my boy, I would take as many as I could! So officially, I’m Craig. Nice to meet you, Brian, or should I call you Dark Storm?”


“How much did you tell them?” I demand of Justin as I hand him his fizzy when he comes back from brushing his teeth.


“He didn’t tell me about that, which will be discussed.” Craig shifts a pillow into his lap and points. Justin lies down, I cover him up, which raises matching smiles. That little bit of concern that I had always seen leaves his demeanour immediately. “I will fix this, nobody harms my son.”


“Brian is fine.” I extend my hand; Mom had told me there was a visitor for Justin, but said it was nothing to worry about. “I’m going to leave you all to talk, okay?”


“Thank you, Brian, but before you go, you need this.” He hands me a piece of paper. “Never fails to raise a Sunshine smile. The equipment is downstairs.”


Within seconds of closing the door and reading it, I’m dialing Mom and hollering for Ben!


JJ’S HOME - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


JJ


I’m smiling as I hang up. If there is one thing I can’t be faulted for, is my ingenuity and determination. If I want something bad enough, I get it. I’ve just been speaking to their parents. For years those of that Jewel giant had no idea where she has been. His, on the other hand, have always been aware, but their shame of him, of them, has meant they don’t want to know. I was shocked when I pointed out that he was with Drew Boyd and they just hung up. 


I pour some more vodka, then call Matthew back. When we finish our call, I’m annoyed. He never mentioned at all that he had married up or had children since we were last together. In fact, he said that the kid was his nephew. As for the daughter, she sounds like a real firebrand, but my interest is now focused on his lady friend that he has acquired. I didn’t enjoy the smugness in his tone or that he is now back in Michael’s life! I wanted the irritating witch to be alone, but of course she slithered her way to Carl like the snake she is! 


But this Jewel person, her parents are furious with how she has ended up, I can work with them. I drain my mug and am about to pour some more when the door knocks. I make myself presentable, then go open it.


“Hello Mother.” My heart almost stops at the sight of my daughter, Claire!


BRIAN’S WING - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN’S ROOM


CRAIG


I wipe his tear stained cheeks and sigh. I know he’s just napping, and I curse my work. I spend most of the year travelling overseas, but I'm always back for birthdays, our anniversary, Christmas or any emergencies. But like I said broke my leg, ironically tripping over the suitcase rushing to pack. 


“I told her not to say anything.”


“I know, dumbass. Up shuffle.” I order and he leans against my chest. “I know you don’t want to talk about it, right now but we will. Understand?” He nods. “It suits you.” I remark, tugging on a tendril as his hair has gotten longer. “So we’re going to do the other him. You share rabbits.”


“Tonka and Beam.” His smile is wide and full of warmth, a sure sign he is happy. “They’re in the barn, can show you later.” 


“That would be nice. Do you know rabbits are one of the few animals whose scrotum is in front of the penis?” 


“Welcome home, Craig.” Jennifer snickers as she hands me a mug of coffee. “I shall tell Brian it’s you.”


“What’s me?” I relish the taste of proper coffee.


“Where he gets his PSA habit from.” Jennifer replies and Justin laughs.


JJ’S HOME - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


CLAIRE


I enjoy her flinch as I almost ‘accidentally’ knock over her mug. “Oops! Sorry, Mother.”


“Accidents happen.” She returns. “So, to what do I owe this pleasant but unexpected visit?”


“Can’t a daughter spend time with her Mother? It’s just a couple of weeks, you’ve got room haven’t you?” 


“I suppose so. What about your boyfriend? Is he coming too? What about the boys?” She demands.


“No it’s just me. Just think how nice it will be to catch up on all you’ve missed in my life? And everything I’ve missed in yours. Want me to get you some more water? That is water isn’t it?”


JJ


“Yes, but I’ll get it, you’re my guest after all.” As I head to the kitchen, I try to work out how to get this spanner out of my works, but then again I have some time, her parents said they won’t be able to meet for a week, and Claire will be back where she belongs by then!


BRITIN - EARLY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


BRIAN


“It’s gonna be boiling, don’t do that!” Mom swats my hand away from the pot of caramel. You know this would work in Babylon…”


“Not…” I begin.


“And Diamond Stores, take out only. Let me make a copy, then speak to Blake later. Taste the ice cream.” She orders. When I do, I know it is perfect, and they will both love it. I just nod, whilst Ben, much to my annoyance, demolishes the rest of the cone. “So the caramel goes in the hole that the spoon makes…” She plunges the end of the wooden spoon into the middle of the cone, then pours in the caramel. “...okay, the original recipe called for chocolate, but in the brief time I’ve known him, he does like his caramel.” She covers up the hole with more ice cream. “So pour the caramel into a jar and let it cool before putting it in the fridge. Next thing is to quickly dip the…”


“You’re making me that?” We all turn to Justin’s awestruck voice. “How did you even know?”


“Your Dad told me.” I reply, before pointing at the counter. He gets comfortable. Seems to be his favourite place to sit when I cook. “Move down a bit.” I order gently. 


“Caramelised nuts as well?!” He gasps as he shuffles further away. 


“Yep. Now let me learn.” I order, before Mom plunges the cone into the hot sauce then rolls it in the peanuts, before setting it in the holder. “Now what?”


“Let it set.” Craig limps in with Jennifer’s help. “Jennifer and I are going to California, Brian, to see this Ethan character. Not sure what attorney to use, but I know a whole host of them. Actually, come to think of it, wonder what she’s doing now?”


“Who?” I ask as I slide the bowl of chocolate sauce towards Justin. “Can you let it cool a bit?” He nods and waits for all of three seconds before picking up the spoon. I forgive his impatience when I see his tongue work!


“Melanie Marcus.” Craig answers; Jennifer’s jaw drops as do ours. “What's with the astonishment? Nancy said she was a great attorney, highly combative. Could never stand the daughter. Said to…”


“What is wrong with Jenny?” Ben growls.


”Is that what she goes by these days? Well, before I knew her as Lindsay. Cantankerous when denied what she thinks is hers. I said to Ronald, she’s catfishing that poor woman. Such a shame about him and Nancy.” He then notices our expressions. “Again the astonishment?” 


“She’s Jewel’s girlfriend.” I explain.


“Who, Lindsay? How did they meet?” He frowns.


“Dad, let me get you up to speed a bit more.” Justin takes the bowl to the table, then proceeds to tell him who’s who in his expanded group of friends. “So are you going to speak to Mel? Still can’t believe I almost met Lindsay before I moved to Cali.”


“A bullet well dodged, methinks.” Jennifer grins; I can’t help the nod of agreement, then realise something. “We’ve been thinking the same thing, Lindsay’s been far too quiet.” 


“Who’s we?” I ask, finally managing to get a spoonful of chocolate, Justin's breath catches as I take my time cleaning the spoon.


“All the girls, which is why Lynette is going to make nice with some bait.” Mom declares with a smile straight from the devil!


LINDSAY’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


LYNETTE


She lit up like a firecracker when she opened the door and found us on the doorstep. “This is a surprise, come in, come in!” 


“After you, my dear.” Zach steered me ahead of him. “I believe the phrase is pearl before swine.” He smirked. “I took the liberty of bringing a couple of bottles from my vineyard, red and a champagne, in honour of this occasion of reconciliation.”


Zach and I are sat next to each other, whilst Lindsay polishes the glasses


“They look lovely. Shall I open red first? Oh, who's driving?” Lindsay coos.


“Neither of us, the car will pick us up when we’re ready to leave.” Zach replies.


“A vineyard? Oh how nice.” She places the glasses in front of us, whilst I watch that information be filed in the cabinet mind of hers. “So how have things been left with Gregory?”


“Like I said, divorce.” I keep the shuddering to a minimum at her choice of wine. The ones that Zach brought were swiftly put away. “But Zach persuaded me to see that whilst husbands and wives can be replaced, sisters cannot.” 


“Thank you, Zach, but how did you manage that?” She makes a point of showing off her legs before smiling at me.


“I had a relation that I almost lost. We’re on a much better footing.”


“Oh. and who was that?”


“Jewel, she’s my daughter.” 


“Is she now? Interesting.” Lindsay smiles, and I catch the moment that she starts to formulate how to make Jewel either her stepdaughter or her girlfriend!


JJ’S HOME - MID MORNING NEXT DAY


CLAIRE


“It will give me time to get to know the area, and for you to rest. You just said you were still tired. Please?” I plead in my ‘best’ voice, finally she relents.


“How long will you be?” She asks whilst looking at her watch then me with ill-disguised revulsion.


“An hour or so. Thanks, Mom!” I kiss her cheek and leave. Breathing a sigh of relief, I adjust my purse and head towards the park. It doesn’t take me long to get away from there. I can smell the air getting cleaner as I walk. I find the park bench and enjoy the silence. I chuckle at two birds across the water. I’ve been planning this for ages, ever since I found their files. I scratch my wrist. Although the scar is faded, the memory, or should that be memories, are still there.


“Hello, are you Claire?” I look up at the nervous looking older gentlemen.


“Yes I am, you must be Jack, Jack Kinney?”


“Yes.” I shake his hand. “You must be wondering…” 


“Yes. Nice to meet you.” We sit in silence for a few seconds. “So why are we meeting exactly?”


“I’m your ex-wife’s daughter, Claire.” He looks stunned. “And she’s the reason my ex-boyfriend almost killed me five years ago.”


JACK


“Let me give you a bit of our back story.” Claire states, as she scratches her head. I see the scars, but say nothing, just hope that JJ didn’t do them. “At first I thought we had a good relationship, albeit with sporadic contact. But when my boyfriend hit me and I told her, she said I shouldn’t antagonise him.” My eyebrows go up. “I endured many a beating but one day I had enough, I just packed up and left. I headed straight to her... but I didn’t stay there long. Instead, I went to a refuge, stupidly trying to keep her from his temper.”


“Meaning?” I pray with every fibre of my being.


“I only told her, so she must have told him where I was, how else could he have found me? Once he dragged me back to our place, he beat me so badly that I was unrecognisable for a good few weeks...he locked me in the room, found out later that it was her that helped him with the clean up.”


“I am so sorry.” I take her hand, she gives me a small smile. “Where’s the ex?”


“Dead. Been about three years. Not by my hand, sadly. He was killed in a car accident, DUI.” She reaches into her purse and pulls out a phone. "The only good that came out of our relationships with her are our sons, well that's what I think."


“Who are you calling? Your sons?"


“Nobody, I need you to listen.”


I watch her fiddle with the screen before she clicks on the phone contacts, then the voicemail. 


“Hello John, it’s JJ. Claire’s mom, long time no speak huh?. Listen, I’m not sure what’s happened, but that little madam is here at my home spinning all kinds of tales. I know you’ve always treated Claire right, but I can’t have her here - can you come and get her? I’ve not been feeling well, but we’ve agreed for her to stay till the end of the week. I’ve told her I’m going to call you and will leave a key under the back door mat on Friday afternoon. I’ve moved recently, and my address is…”


She cuts the call. “She doesn’t know that he’s dead.” Her face hardens. “Because she called this number ten minutes after I left her house.”


“As a matter of interest, how did you find me? And may I have that?” I gesture for the phone. I know exactly how to put a spoke in her vicious wheel, she smiles in understanding.


“I work as an archivist in the CPS, purely by chance I came across the files.”


“Is that true?” I take in her ‘Bambi eyes’.


“No. Been stalking her ever since he died, keeping below radar. She took away my child. The day he dragged me back, he beat me so badly that I miscarried.”


Chocolate and peanut covered ice cream cones: 

https://tasty.co/recipe/homemade-chocolate-covered-ice-cream-cones

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive, thx