- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Warning - this chapter has details of abuse and child death.

CHAPTER 41 - JJ GETS VISITORS AND CARL CONNECTS THE DOTS


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


CARL


Well, so much for the six of us! Between the diner incident and now, more recipes have to be decided on for Baylon, so it’s testing day. Emmett is setting up the ‘drinks pairings’ whilst the kids are in the lounge. Both the butter and the tuna were ruled out by our sons, but at least the sliders can stay on the menu.


“Remind me again why the tuna and butter were a hard no?” I ask Brandon.


“Because they’re so good and we’re being entirely selfish.” He grins. “Seriously, me and Bruh almost got into a fight over the last scraps. In the end, Justin had to call Jewel for the recipe!” 


“Uncle Carl!” Pearl calls out. “Why do you have this TV package? It’s for sh...rubbish.” 


“It’s got the sports, and…” I begin.


“Aunt Debs, what do you like, apart from soaps and QVC?”


“Lifetime movies, cooking shows, obviously, cartoons…”


“Cartoons?” I gasp. “Since when do you watch cartoons?” 


“When you go bowling.” She looks embarrassed. “It was banned in my house. My Mom would…”


“What was?” Brian wraps an arm around her shoulders.


“Tom and Jerry. She said it was too violent. After the pair of you, then Michael, I was so busy that I didn’t have time. Unlike Carl, Matthew never helped. I know I’m pathetically reliving my youth via TV, but…”


“Never had you down as loving the Animaniacs though.” Gus is going through our list.


“The who?” Debs frowns.


“There’s loads of eps of Animaniacs saved.” Gus replies.


“Um, that’s MY guilty pleasure.” I blush. “And Disney, the old stuff like Jungle Book, Fantasia, and Dumbo.”


“And, let me guess…” Pearl sighs. “...you two have never watched a cartoon or Disney together?” We both look sheepish. “Okay, well that rubbish stops today! We...the media savvy teens...will get you off this crapola package and onto something that feeds your imagination and rekindles said youth. And from next weekend, set aside an evening a week to watch them together.” 


LYNETTE’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER


ZACH


Lynette says nothing, as once more Lindsay shifts in her seat. She’s been here six times since we last met at her house; each time her hems have got higher and her tops lower. 


“I apologise if I’ve interrupted any plans you two had today in dropping by?” She says even though her expression is clearly stating ‘as if’.


“Oh, no problem at all. I dropped by too, so no set in stone plans were made.” I reply. “I’m hoping to persuade Lynette to assist in helping me buy Jewel a birthday present. I’m not all that savvy when it comes to her.” 


“I see.” She twitters. “Well, let’s put our heads together and see what we can come up with. I would be more than happy to help too.” 


“What an excellent idea.” Lynette replies as she stands. When we get to the car, I take the driver’s seat. Lynette says she’s ‘forgotten something’ and heads back inside. She’s not more than three minutes, during which time, Lindsay gets in the front seat, whilst blushing as her skirt rides up, but takes her time adjusting it.


“Did you find it?” I ask.


“Yes, thanks. So, what do you get someone who doesn’t actually want anything?” 


“Hmm…” Lindsay contemplates. “...methinks nothing food or wine based, given her profession, maybe jewellery?”


“Nope. Ems and Drew are taking care of that.” Lynette declares. “And Pearl is on sartorial…”


“Ems and Drew? As in the Iron Man Drew? Are they a couple?” Lindsay frowns.


“Retired Iron Man, and he’s their vet.” Lynette returns. “As for the status of their relationship, you would have to ask them. But back to the main purpose of our day, what about a watch?”


“Doesn’t that count as jewellery?” Lindsay raises an eyebrow at me, waiting for back-up.. 


“Not as far as Jewel is concerned.” I laugh. “A watch is a practical adornment that serves a purpose; jewellery is optional. A watch it is! Thanks Lynnie!” I grin at her in the mirror and hear the twitch of annoyance coming from the front seat.


“Now the question is where. Maybe somewhere like Tiffany’s…”


“No, she wouldn’t like something so showy.” Lynette asserts. 


“I didn’t realise you’ve gotten to know her so well.” Lindsay turns to face her. At the same time she puts her hand on my thigh, then gives me a coquettish smile. “When did this friendship spring up, perhaps the three of us, or even the four of us could do lunch one day?”


“I’m pretty sure that Mel would not want you there, and Jewel is not a fan of yours either…”


“What do you mean, 'not a fan'? We’ve got a perfectly cordial…”


“You were very dismissive towards Justin, her best friend. Besides, if you were going to follow ‘cordial’ with ‘friendship’, you need to set your position lower. You have a passing acquaintance, which she has no intention of moving to second base with.”


“I was teasing! I know exactly who he is, she just didn’t get my sense of humour, and…”


“You’re not funny. Ah, we’re here.” Lynnette announces as I pull into a parking spot. “I love this place.” 


LYNETTE


Whilst Zach gets out of the car, I gather my things, then check my lists. I shake my head and smile as Pearl has been very specific in her choices. She said she’s fully prepared for us to take a trip out of state to get what she wants for her mom. 


“Lynnie, did you hear me?” Lindsay calls out.


“No, wasn't listening. What did you say?” 


“Zach is interested in me, and after Gregory…” She trails off.


“If he’s interested, then go for it.” I smile at her; so quick to switch, I notice!


When Zach comes around to our side of the car, he opens her door first. The hair toss is overly flamboyant. “So where do we start? I don’t know about you, Zach, but I could do with a cool drink.”


“I could too, but the…”


“Oh great, let’s go! I’ll text Lynnie when we find it. She’s still sorting her....”


“There’s no need for that. Have you got all the lists, Lynnie?” He opens the door and helps me out. 


“Yes, I think, but I’m sure there was one from Reva, which I can’t see here. I’ll have to call her. Dammit!” 


“She sent it to me. Seems they found it in the garden. Tonight is iPhone 101, you have got to get to grips with that fantasticness that is your phone! It has lists on it!”


“Okay, okay!” I laugh before stiffening my spine. “As much as I love this place, it takes grit, determination and fortitude! And before anybody says anything, I know they could be defined as the same thing! So let’s…”


“I’m confused…” Lindsay interjects. “...who exactly are we shopping for? I thought it was just Jewel?”


“No, it’s Reva, Pearl, Jen, Mel, Leda, Ems, Justin, Brian, and Gus.”


“Gus? Well, shouldn’t I be shopping for my son?”


“Did he send you the list?” I ask.


“No, but…”


“There’s your answer then.” I retort. 


“Ladies, are we ready?” Zach questions; her answer is to get between us. “I say we go from the top down, military style, get in, get it done, get out! Agreed?”


“Absolutely.” She froths, whilst sliding her top back over her shoulder.


“Now, Lindsay, can you do me a very special favour please?” 


“Of course, Zach, what is it?” 


“Make sure she doesn’t buy honey bath bombs or oils. I want to get them. It’s my fault she doesn’t have anymore now.”


“I’ll try, but why is it your fault? And who are they for?”


“For Lynnie. I used the last bomb for a bath. I had dropped it in before…”


“You gave away the bomb I got you?” She pouts.


“No, I didn’t. Like he said, he used it in the bath.”


“In the bath?” She echoes.


“Yes, the one we had last night together.” Zach smiles. “Okay, let’s do this.” I’m surprised when he comes around to my side, but not as surprised as Lindsay, who comes to a halt, I look over my shoulder and can see her plotting, trying to figure out how to not be so obvious. 


“Lindsay, are you coming?!” I call.


“Yes, yes, just need to make a call!” 


“Okay. And the cafes are on the top floor, Angelique’s is where we will be.”


LINDSAY


When he holds her bag and they laugh at something, I steam. I’ve never understood, money aside, why anyone would want her compared to me! But I plaster on a smile and start to catch up with them. Whilst they manage to get into the lift, I don’t; when they laugh at something, I fume with jealousy then take the stairs, confident that I will make it to Angelique’s on the but it seems the world and his wife has had the same idea!


ANGELIQUE’S CAFE - TEN MINUTES LATER


LYNETTE


“Just what the doctor ordered!” Zach declares, taking down half of the fresca. “Ah, there she is.” 


“You could’ve warned me you were going to say you stayed overnight !” I chuckle as Lindsay comes through the doors, she fans herself before checking her reflection, I roll my eyes, she is so vain! “She’s asked permission to reciprocate your interest.”


“My interest? Good grief who does she think she is? And why is she so red in the face?” He frowns. “I think a much clearer signal is called for. What have I said about your hair, let me help you there.”  


After he loosens my chignon, he gives me a toe-curling, heart pounding, sweet as honey kiss, which is only broken by the glass slipping out of my hand and smashing on the ground.


“I’m so sorry!” I blabber to the waitress as she quickly clears it away.


“Oh, Lynnie, have you been a bit of a klutz again?!” Lindsay laughs as she sits down. “What caused it this time? And what happened to your hair?” 


“No problem, ma’am.” She grins. “I’ll just get another one, don't you worry none. As for what caused it, a-knock-you-on-your-ass-kiss. Seriously, I would drop things too, if my boyfriend kissed me like that!” She titters as she walks away.


“Who kissed whom?” She looks around.


“He kissed her, just after he took down her hair, a bit like Rapunzel.” The waitress answers as she puts down the glass. “And it was a humdinger!” 


“It was indeed!” I sigh and put my hand on his thigh, but unlike in the car, he doesn’t jiggle mine off, and less than an hour later, it is just the two of us, as she had to go home with a ‘headache’!


JOAN’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


JOAN


He cuts an imposing figure as he fills the room. “Your wife could not join you?” 


“She is just locking some things in the car. She won’t be long. Ah, that must be her.” He smiles as the door knocks. “Shall I get it for you?”


“If you could, please, that would be most kind.” I smile back; he’s a rather handsome fellow.


“Well, good afternoon, who might you be?” I hear him ask.


“I’m Claire, Joan’s daughter, and you are?”


Claire! What the hell is she doing back now?! I told her to not come back until six! 


“Wilson...and this is my wife, Thelma.” 


“Nice to meet you both.” Claire replies, then the door shuts. I paste on a smile as the three of them enter. “Hi, Mother, how do you know these lovely people? Do they go to your church?” 


“They go to a church, just not mine. You know how the ecclesiastical network works.”


“Which branch are you?” She turns to Wilson and Thelma, who seems to be looking down her nose at me. “Mother is Roman Catholic, and…”


“Oh, I thought something smelt off.” Thelma’s savage tone is matched by the look she gives me. “What is the purpose of this meeting? Are you another one of his paybacks? You said something about my daughter, can we get to the point? I don’t like being in this part of the world.”


I’m stunned by her rudeness, but rally. “As you wish. Do you know what she became when she ran away? She’s one of the foremost wine experts in the world, such a surprise for a woman of her circumstances.”


“And what would they be?” Claire asks...I can’t wait for her boyfriend to get here to curb that impertinent tongue of hers!


“Well, she had a child so young, she’s coloured, and…” 


“Coloured. Mother! You can’t say that in this day and age!” Claire exclaims. “I’m so sorry for her lack of…”


“Education?” Thelma suddenly stands; I don’t understand what is happening. “We’re leaving, this sot disgusts me!” 


She strides to the front door, banging it shut behind her. Within seconds it is just Claire and me.


“Get out of my sight!” I snarl at her. 


“You created the problem, Mother. As for out of your sight, gladly, but I would advise against chaining the door shut. You know, with my ‘heftiness’, I can easily break in! Who were you describing me to by the way?”


“I said niftiness, not heftiness!” I lie. “And I don't appreciate you eavesdropping on my calls!”


“Of course you did. Try to remember that I’m neither deaf nor stupid.” She snipes before walking out.


Oh, how I can’t wait for her boyfriend to come and get that heifer! But having her here does get me out of housework! As I pour myself another vodka, I wonder how in Christ’s name this went so wrong?!


PARK - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


CLAIRE


I adjust my sunglasses and smile. “Hello, Claire.” Thelma sits down, whilst Wilson locks the car. “Have you seen her?”


“No, but I know a man who has…” I wave at the figure approaching. “...this is Jack, he’s met her.” Jack sits down on my other side. “Show her.” I encourage him.


He pulls out his phone and shows her a picture of everyone that came to his house, and there she is, Jewel. “It’s a disgrace what they did.” She sighs. “Still can’t believe they’ve held onto this hatred. They were just friends…”


“With one benefit.” Wilson smiles. “Ah, they’re beauties aren’t they?! May I?” Jack hands him his phone, he stares at the screen. “Thank goodness we were house sitting when she called. Hell knows what they would’ve done if they tracked her down, the misery they would’ve heaped upon her.” 


“Have you tried to look for her?” Jack asks.


“Not after we dropped her off at the station.” Thelma replies, much to our surprise. “After we heard what they told her about Emmett, that was it for me. And the way they were talking about sending her to his mother, who makes the devil’s behaviour look angelic….”


“We made her promise not to contact us.” Wilson adds. “Despite us being adults, they still went through our phones for years. I think they suspect it was us that helped her, but can’t prove it. We found her walking up the back roads the night she ran, she looked so scared. That's what made up my mind, her fear for her baby.”


“Do you want me to give her a message?” Jack smiles. “I can get it to her via Brian.”


“Just that Aunt Thelly and Uncle Wilson send their love, and we’re proud of what you’ve become.”


“Thank you for all you did.” I gape at Jack then look up at Jewel. “Hi, Claire, can you give me a bit of room? I need to launch myself at a couple of people.” Ten tear soaked minutes later, we’re all a little calmer. “So, you ready, guys?”


“Ready for what?” Thelma frowns.


“Uncle Wison, just follow me.” Jewel orders. “Jack and Claire, you’re in my jeep.”


“Where are we going?” Jack asks as we follow her.


“To meet some very important people that are now back in his life.” She nods at Jack, who at first is confused, then starts to smile. “Yeah, when I said where I was going and who made it so, she said to bring them around.”


“Who did?” I frown.


“Debs.” Jack smiles as Jewel nods. “Always a class and a half. You’re gonna like her.”


“And Carl’s got some news for you.” Jewel adds as she pulls out of the parking lot.


“What could he possibly have to say to us?” Jack asks.


“He didn’t say.” She replies, and after making sure that Wilson is behind her, she drives us to the one person who made Joan’s life as miserable as she made mine, and I can’t wait to meet her!


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


CLAIRE


Reeling, I’m just reeling! We all are. Jack’s my dad, and he never knew! Neither of us did, she had always told me that it was a one off fling. 


“What kinda twisted meathead does that?!” Brandon exclaims. 


“Seriously, I want to crush her!” Jenny snarls. 


“How did you find this out?” I finally come out of my shock.


“She’s not the only one with contacts.” Carl smiles whilst pressing another glass of wine into my hand. “I saw the pair of you at the park near her home, and thought you were going to cause problems for my family, so I called in a few favours, and, well, found out about Jack and the other incident. I’m so sorry, to both of you.”


“Oh Jesus.” Jack cries as he realises; it goes quiet. “That was…”


“Millie, she was a girl.” I sniff before wiping my nose. “My late boyfriend was abusive. I ran away, she told him where I was. I never thought he would hit me whilst pregnant, but he did, so badly that….”


“He's lucky he’s dead.” Someone says, but I can’t tell who, because I’m crying so hard I can’t see, but can just about hear. “Let it out, that’s a girl. Let it all out.” The same person says, and for the first time since I lost Millie, I’m being comforted. I don’t know how long I was in her arms, but when I look up it’s Debs. “You know what? Wherever it is that you and your kids live, move. I know a place that’s coming up for rent, three blocks down. You need a proper mom, and that’s going to be me!”


“Do they know?” Pearl asks. “About Millie I mean.”


“Now they do. I was forbidden from mentioning her in their presence, he wanted to be seen as a hero.”


“He never hit the boys?” Debs taps the glass to get me to drink. I sip, and shake my head. “And I bet he never hit you when they were around?” I nod. “Like I said, lucky he’s dead.”


“Where do you go to remember her?” Pearl hands me a tissue.


“I don’t, she…” I take a deep breath. “...was taken away. Never got to see her, but they said she was fully formed. He said he would never have kicked me there if I had told him, said I didn’t look preggers, just hefty.”


“You still have his phone, correct?” Mel asks, I nod. “And that is the phone he had during the length of your relationship?” 


“Yes.” 


“Good. Give it to me. It will be entered as evidence.” 


“Evidence? What evidence?” Debs asks, once more tapping the glass.


“Child destruction, or in simple terms, murder.” Mel holds her hand out for the phone. “Thank you. We can’t do anything about him, but her we can, and we will!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx