- Text Size +

CHAPTER 48 - WHAT’S THE PRICE OF LOVE


LINDSAY'S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I try to come to grips with the onslaught I’ve just been subjected to. She was unrelenting. I know I have work to do, and it’s going to be harder than I thought; but I will get everything I want when I want it. And having seen her angry, I can't help the jag of jealousy that Mel gets to work that out with her. I need to feel the warmth of physicality, it’s been such a long time that I’ve felt a touch other than mine. Even the husk that is Lynette is having more fun than me. I look across at my ringing phone. “Oh no, Michael, I am most definitely not in the mood to talk to you!” I seethe, sending him to voicemail. I think back to how I ended up sharing a cab with him and George…


Start of flashback

CLOTHES MINDED - TWO HOURS PREVIOUSLY


LINDSAY


“Everyone knows Brian Kinney.” Michael states. “And George is right, the receptionist most likely made a mistake.”


“Like you did with the unlamented pissbutt that was Ethan Gold? We know you remember? And I suspect you two brothers are of the same cloth…” Jewel sneers. “...never missing an opportunity to be nasty and selfish; oh, so very selfish!”


“Unlamented? How did he die? Why wasn’t I told?” Michael sniffs.


“Oh, come on!” Jewel barks. “Are we supposed to buy this grief? You’re playing to the wrong audience. Or have you forgotten how quick you were to scurry to Cali to get him to leave you out of the picture, under the pretext of reuniting with your father?!” 


I am as astonished. How does she know this? I only found out when he drunkenly told me about him and George.


“He was my friend, I ca...cared deeply for him, and…” Michael weeps. “...how’d it happen?”


“You know the tears are supposed to fall, right?” Brandon looks unimpressed. 


“He’s crying over the death of Ethan.” Jewel explains to a returning Ben, causing  him to roll his eyes. “I know right?” Her stretching gets an appreciative look from Mel and a wry smile from Leda. “Make sure they drop when you go visit Ethan’s folks to express your sympathy!”


“Come on, Michael, let’s get you back home.” George takes his arm. “I think you are very cruel, and…”


“I haven’t begun to get cruel with him yet.” Jewel sneers. “Go home, you vile vainglorious vipers. I’m sure you can find some way to make him feel better.” There’s silence in their wake. ”What are you still doing here, Lindsay? Shouldn’t you go with them? After all, wasn’t it you who was by his side when he gave up Jenny?” I make my way to the door, cheeks burning. “One more thing, about the birthday party….” I look over my shoulder. “...you need to get in the good books of everyone past and present to attend. Good luck with that!”

End of flashback

 

“What on earth did she mean?” I ponder. “People need, well apart from her and Pearl, need to be in my good books. I have the power, the looks and the influence. Granted, it doesn’t look like this right now, but people know deep down who reigns.” I pour myself another glass of wine, glancing at my phone when it rings. Again, I send Michael to voicemail. “I must set up a ringtone for him.”

 

NOVOTNY RESIDENCE - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I grit my teeth in frustration. Seems like Lindsey's being a waspy hornet. Well, I too have my sting. Scrolling through, I finally find Mel’s number, having changed it to ‘thieving twat’ when I got wasted the night I got my money back, money she stole. I’m still furious that she was allowed to keep the interest on it; that should’ve been mine too!

 

I hear the front door open and Dad comes in looking pleased with himself.. “Where have you been?” 

 

“Meeting an old school friend.” He calls back heading to the kitchen, so I join him. He’s pouring wine, looking like he’s going to finish the bottle, I cough then glower until he takes a glass out for me. “No George?”

 

“He’s got a headache; gone to bed.” I reply draining the bottle into my glass. 

 

“Thirsty?” He drawls, which for some reason reminds me of Horvath when he tried to exert his ‘authority’ after she gave him carte blanche to be a full blown fucker. I nod before gesturing to the cupboard; he scowls when he sees the bottle. “It’s red, we’re drinking white, let’s not mix. I saw some white in the lounge, why not drink that? We can put some ice…”

 

“I don’t want that. Go buy some white if you want it so badly?!” I snap, grabbing the red.

 

“You’re not speaking to me like that, Michael!” He booms, kicking the cupboard shut and getting in my face. “Apologise now.” 

 

“No. You’ve not been in my life long enough to be the boss of me, nobody but me is!” I waft my hand around, “Smells like you’re ahead anyway. Perhaps coffee?” 

 

He looks dead eyed as he drains his glass; smacking his lips he smirks. “He’s right, you know, but then again, he always had a good eye, saw you clearly. I had hopes. Shame you turned out so bad. Tell me, Michael, how do you intend to cope? He will get bored, I know him better than you! And then you’ll be left with no-one!”

 

“What are you talking about?!” I enjoy the crack and hiss as I open the bottle, returning his dead eyed gaze, I start to pour.

 

“If you thought for one minute I bought that ‘we only kissed' bullshit, you’re a bigger idiot than you look.” I stop pouring. “You ready to say sorry now?” He jeers. I swallow hard then clear my throat. “Don’t want it, knowing that I can tell anyone at any given moment is ‘apology’ enough.” He fills his glass with ice. “I’m going to finish the white. Three more bottles to be in the fridge by tomorrow morning. And get out your best outfit, we're going to dinner on Sunday.” 

 

“Just us? And where?” I sigh.

 

“Loverboy brother is coming too; we're going to your mother and stepfather’s with the school friend I was with earlier.” He snickers at my groan. “Practise your apolosing skills; first of many things you need to address is being such a wet nosed bratty wanker!”

 

I’m still standing there five minutes later. How the hell did he find out? My phone ringing gets my attention. 

 

“Mi...Michael Novotny speaking.” I shake my head to clear it. “Sorry, this is who?” I take a drink then it registers. “Oh yes, sorry, I’ve just woken up. Hello, Mr Gold, thank you for returning my call. I was…” I go quiet as he blasts my ear. 

 

Ten minutes later, I am trudging towards the liqueur store trying to work out which of my ‘friends or family’ called Ethan’s parents to tell them about me, and how I might want to ‘sympathise’!

 

JUSTIN’S SOON TO BE STUDIO, BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

The last of my paintings from Mom and the wing are in. I flick through them, feeling prouder and prouder as I see my progression. “God, he’s so beautiful.” I sigh as I take in his face.

 

“Thanks.” He calls from the door. He's holding another canvas, I frown. “I’m not sorry I took it. You too are beautiful.” I blush, it deepens when he turns the canvas around, it’s a self-portrait. “Is that pencil work? You never said you do that.” He rests it next to his. “How much?”

 

“No, it’s paint, just light strokes. You can have it, as long…”

 

“That’s paint? Incredible, just incredible. Like the Eccadentarist, I’m  going to pay you.” He asserts. “Name your price.”

 

“Fine.” I lean against him, whistling when I see the bottle he also brought. “Gout de Diamond?!” I take it gently. “Wow, this is supposed to be…”

 

“Yeah, it is sensational, a favourite of 50 Cent apparently. Considering how much it cost, his name is somewhat ironic.” We both chuckle. “May I offer you a case in payment for it?”

 

“Will it stop you from looking at it like that?” I plead.

 

“Like what? Like it's the most beautiful painting of the only man that I’ll ever be with? You’ve ruined love for me. I can’t and won’t have any apart from yours.” I slide down to my knees and pick up some twine. “What are you doing?”

 

“I’ve got my price.” I hold up the twine. “I want your name.”

 

“You have a deal.” He smiles as he joins me on the floor. “Let’s discuss where we’re putting them. They have to be together.”

 

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

No amount of the godawful sickly perfume can mask the smell of booze oozing from Joan. She is clutching onto Matthew with a stiff expression on her face. “I had no idea you knew Claire and...my grandchildren, Carl.” Her expression has not softened from the moment she saw them. “Such darlings, how are you all acquainted?” 

 

“You don’t have a darling, let alone three.” Jack snaps. “Shall I get that, Carl?” I nod, knowing who else is coming. “Oh, hi! What are you doing here looking so pleased?!”

 

“Jack, how lovely! Bruh said we had to be here…” Brandon’s hugging of Jack makes the gargoyle’s get uglier. “...hey, what smells so good?! Mom?!” He bellows, striding through to the kitchen, completely ignoring her. “Whoops, hold on, Dad, be right there!” There’s a few minutes of chatter followed by a crack. “Ouch! What the...that hurt!” He comes back out, sucking on his thumb. “I’ve got rights as the eldest son you know!” He embraces me tightly, laying a smacking kiss on my cheek. “Where’d she get that spatula? She wields it like Babe Ruth!” 

 

“Want me to kiss that better?” Ben snickers as he hangs up his jacket before opening the front door. “Where’s the beer, Bran?”

 

“Had to leave it in the car, when I said what it was Bruh refused to let me bring it in here, said it’s utter filth.”

 

“Brian’s coming? Justin too?” Debs asks as she comes out frowning. 

 

“Nah just him. Said he’s not staying long, needs to pass by on his way to town.” Brandon adjusting Jack’s collar makes all the veins in Joan’s face pulse. 

 

“Why? Carl, did you know about him coming?” Debs uses a cloth to clean the bowl; I shake my head then smile as she approaches Brandon with it. 

 

“To stop your mithering, here.” She hands it to Ben. “He can feed you, since you are such an injured soldier.” The sucker punched look Michael has as he does that makes me feel better, not sure why he's here though, would rather he wasn’t.

 

“Debs, is there anything I can help with?” Joan simpers.

 

“You can cook now?” Claire asks as she comes downstairs, having had to haul Peter and John upstairs so they didn’t claw Joan’s eyes out. “They will be down shortly.” 

 

“Were they taken ill? Shouldn’t you take them home?” Joan grits out whilst Matthew winces in her grip.

 

“They’re sickening for something; which will soon pass.” Claire returns. “Dad, do you want some Sipsmith?” 

 

“Please, dear.” Jack replies. “Anyone else want a drink?”

 

“I’ll take something.” Michael declares. “George, what about you? Fancy something?”

 

“To drink he means.” Brandon jibes as he and Ben battle for what’s left in the bowl. “You ate before you left, give me that!”

 

“So did you…” Ben retorts. “...told you not to just have my man juice.” Jack’s spluttering starts Debs off, giggling, Claire hands them both napkins. “It’s a protein shake!” Ben is puce with embarrassment. “Tell them, Bran!”

 

“Well…”

 

“Brandon!” Debs cackles. “Stop that!” She clips him around the ear. He winces, but does nothing to save Ben. “Why don’t you get the door and cool your face off, Ben?” 

 

“Thanks, Debs. And maybe you can make up the bed for your unwisely silent son, he may be staying…”

 

“Protein from veggies and stuff!” Brandon exclaims. “Kale, spinach, lemon, and avocado!” Ben looks smug and opens the door. “I can still come home, right?”

 

“Hmmm. Let me think a bit.” Ben teases as he lets in Grace and Reva. The looks on the Novotny mens' faces is a cross between sickened and horrified. “Drinks, ladies?”

 

“Reva, darling, what a pleasant surprise, I was hoping to see you.” Matthew almost has to gnaw off his arm to get away from Joan. His attempt at an embrace is rebuffed by Reva sidestepping him. 

 

“In order for me to be here, mom’s taking me shopping.” She sneers. “Try not to make it too expensive.”

 

“In other words, step back.” Grace’s cool tones float from the door. “Reeve, you good?” 

 

“Am fine, Mom, are you okay? You’ve been quiet all morning?” 

 

“Fine, just fine. Where are the boys, Claire? Why not have them get to know Pearl and the rest of them? Debs, Jack, could you do the honours?” Debs looks confused, but they go and get them.

 

“What’s that smell?” I sniff as for the fifth time since Joan’s arrival Claire’s fists tighten. “Claire, can you give me a hand, please?”

 

“Sure, Carl.” She flies into the kitchen. She is taking deep breaths at the back door. I rub her shoulder after handing her some water. “The way she’s looking at you...how can...”

 

“She can look all she wants. I’ve only got eyes for one person, have done since I saw her.” I take the glass. “Now, let’s go back in there.” I kiss her cheek, with a deep sigh she goes back. I wait a minute, then make a call. I scrub my face, the relief is all consuming after I hang up. “Show time.” I mutter. 

 

BRANDON

 

Reva is trying to avoid Michael, but given the smallness of the room, she can’t. He’s asking to work with her on something; judging by the grip on the glass, he’s dangerously close to an ‘emphatically painful’ no. 

 

“Michael, your sister is trying to have a good time. Leave her alone and come and sit here, right here.” Matthew orders, patting the seat between him and George; who immediately loses some of his surly expression.

 

The tromping of footsteps brings down Mom and the two boys. “Reeves, fancy doing some babysitting?” Grace calls out. I’m not sure what’s going on, but judging by that relieved look, the answer is yes. “Take them to Mel’s, I’ll call Pearl when you set off.”

 

“Why doesn’t Claire take them? She’s their mother; not needed here. In fact, neither is Jack, so he can go too.” 

 

“Sorry, you are?” Grace approaches, but Joan’s stench has her backing off.

 

“Grace, you remember me speaking of my dear school friend, Joan? Joan, this is the mother of my sons, Grace.”

 

“How nice to meet you.” Joan says to her, but is looking at Dad. “Claire, I really think that you and Jack should go with the boys, there’s…”

 

“Not leaving, Mother dear, neither is Dad. Because that’s who he is, isn’t he? Even though you said he wasn’t. He’s my real Dad.”

 

“Claire, I don’t know what’s gotten into you. Perhaps…” Suddenly she turns to look at Ben, squinting at him hard. “...you...I’ve seen you. You were at my house. You said you were her boyfriend! But how can you be her boyfriend and with my son? What is going on here?!”

 

“Not your son!” Dad barks, startling us all. When his phone beeps, followed seconds later by the door knocking, he storms to open it, almost taking it off its hinges. “Inside now!” 

 

“What are you doing here?!” Joan gapes at a man, who doesn't look at all well.

 

“So you recognise him?” Carl demands as two more officers follow.

 

“Yes, of course I do, it’s Frederick. He used to be a policeman when I was married to Jack, why?”

 

“Reeve, get going.” Grace clips out.

 

“Mom.” One of the boys looks fearful. “What’s happening?”

 

“I’ll tell you when I get home. Just go with her, it will be fine.” 

 

“I’m staying with you! I don’t trust that old biddy not to say or do something to get you in trouble again!”

 

“Oh, she won’t be doing that. You have my word.” Claire tells him, and after a hug, the two boys follow Reva out. 

 

”Them two. Gone.” Carl points at Michael and George. “They don’t want to be here anyway, now do you?”

 

“No, we don’t.” Michael snipes, casting a hateful look at me and Ben, which we return and seal with a kiss, which raises a brief smile from Dad. 

 

“Take them home, Matthew. I’ll deal with them, especially him, later.” Carl growls, glaring at George. 

 

“Uh, I don’t think I…”

 

“Home. Now.” Dad demands. 

 

“What do you mean, 'deal with'? I’ve got…”

 

“Shut up, Michael! Get in the car!” Matthew shoves him in the shoulder. “Whatever else they’ve done. They will apologise.”


“Oh, there’s no doubt in my mind that they will.” Dad declares.


“Carl…” Mom begins, but he shakes his head.


When they leave, Joan looks wrathful. “He was my lift, Deborah! Who is your friend? What authority does she have?” She snarls.


“What does him leaving have to do with Debs?” Dad demands. “I told him to go.” He clears his throat whilst jamming his hands in his pockets. “He how you found Jewel’s parents?”


“Jewel? I’ve no idea who or what you’re talking about!” Joan snaps.

 

“Enough of this bullshit!” Dad explodes, silencing the room. “You got in contact with him to find out about Jewel, same way you used him to find out about Brandon and Brian.”

 

"Find out about us? What do you mean Dad?"

 

"Sometihng Jack said got my interest. She hunted you down then deliberately kept you away from us, well not us, from Debs." He gets in her face. "Didn't you?" She bites her lip, I can see the sweat from here. "I want the letters back."

 

 

“Carl, they have them.” Jack calls out.


 

“Not those ones explaining about why and who. The ones telling them where!” 

 

 

“Where what?” I demand, going over to Mom who’s gone pale. “Oh my god, you told us where to find you and she hid that.”

 

 

Which when the cold hard facts are laid out is called kidnapping.” Claire is so calm. “And instigating a beating so severe that my daughter died is called child destruction, or to my mind murder.”


“You brought it on yourself!” Joan seethes. “Where is their father? Does he know about him?!”


“He’s dead, thank god.”


“Officers.” Dad beckons them forward. “Mirandize her and get them both out.”


“Carl! What nonsense has she filled your head and heart with?! I saved your children from where she put them!”


“We put them!” Dad bellows. “We, as their parents, made the decision that was best for them! We were young, we couldn’t cope; but you, you sought them out, hunted them down like prey, then you kept them. Jack said that you ran off with Brandon. I thought nothing of it at the time, you turning up with a kid. Just a school friend visiting!” 


“I was just visiting! What has this drunken fool been…”


“Sober, remember?!” Jack snaps. “Which is more than can be said for you right now. You stink!”


“You were going to try and get with him, using Brandon as bait?!” Mom is hauled back by Dad, tears streaming down her face. “What about Brian, how were you going to explain him not being there?! Did you expect Carl to forget he has two children?!”


“They should’ve been mine!” Joan screeches. “And look what I ended up with! Despite being my daughter, she’s like you! A slut!” The slap echoes around the room. Joan is on the floor, clutching her cheek. “Officers, arrest him!” She backs away from Jack, whose chest is heaving. “This is not the first time he’s…”


“First and last!” Jack’s voice is low and controlled; his gaze never leaves her. “You looked for their children. You abused Brian; not Brandon, because he as I said time and time again reminded you of Carl.”

 

“And I reminded you of Mom.”

 

“Bruh!” I fly to Brian’s side. “Look at me, look at me.” Slowly he turns. “Remember, she's not worth another thought! We have Mom, Dad and each other now. That has nothing! She is nothing!”


“You’re going away until the day you die.” Brian states. “The abuse was never reported, I suspect he saw to that!” He jerks his head at Frederick. “Didn’t you?” His silence gives us the horrifying answer. “Jack, is this the same guy that was looking for me all that time?” Jack nods. “What do you think she was going to do with me? If I was lucky, maybe she’d send me back. That would’ve depended on the day she was having, like she said, I’ve got a mouth on me!”


“I would’ve taken you to another state, I wouldn’t have let her…”


“Kill me? But beating me up was okay? Nobody is that good of a fuck. Nobody.”


“She said that you were hurting Brandon, and…”


“Who did you fuck to make Detective?!” An officer scoffs. “I’ve read the files! No way was that inflicted by a child!”


“What files?” I demand.


“You fool! Why did you keep them?! Now look what you’ve done!” Joan rasps like the malicious Medusa she is.


“I did nothing compared to you!” Frederick shouts. “Yes, I covered it up, but you did it. And I couldn’t live and won’t be living with it any longer!”


“What do…”


“I’m dying, Joan. All those years of boozing have finally caught up. I've got three months. AA taught me to clean up the messes I’ve made, and this was my biggest. Know it’s not worth much, but I’m…”

 

“Fuck you and your pathetic apology.” Brian cuts him off. “You heard our dad; arrest her. I’ll be down later.” Joan is hauled, weeping, to her feet. Nobody says a word whilst her rights are read. As she is led towards the door, Brian steps forward with a smile. “You always said that about me, that I’m a vicious little fucker. You're going to find out how right you are.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx