- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - MOTHERS, LOVERS AND BROTHERS

 

DINING ROOM - HALF AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

I am trying not to watch the clumsy flirty behaviour of Gus and Pearl. Whilst the practical get on with it side of me wants to say something, remembering how Lindsay was when he just said he thought a boy in school was handsome is holding me back…

 

Start of flashback

KINNETIC - A YEAR AGO

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

I am staring at Lindsay in disbelief and annoyance. “Well?” I demand.

 

“Well what?” She shifts in her seat.

 

“Explain why I have a highly pissed off son sleeping on the sofa in the loft.”

 

“I thought…”

 

“Yes, he did go to his Aunt Lynnette first, but then she started in on him - his words, not mine - so he escaped; he knew I wouldn't ride his ass over one innocuous comment, again his words.”

 

She looks out of the window and I can hear her gathering her thoughts to make this sound perfectly reasonable!

 

“Brian, I merely made friends with another mother at Gus’s school. Her son and Gus are friends…”

 

“No, they weren't, and now they won't be!” I want to shake her for being such a blundering ass over this. “Lindsay, he doesn't like him that way, neither of them do. Him passing comment on the looks of a boy does not make him gay!”

 

“Brian, you haven't seen the way he looked at him.” She sighs.

 

“I didn't look at him!” Gus’s snarl startles her and I smirk.

 

“I thought you said he was sleeping in the loft?” Lindsay blazes, her face mottled with annoyance and embarrassment.

 

“He is sleeping in the loft, I never said he was doing that now. He wanted to hear what spin you would put on it.”

 

“I wasn't putting a spin on it!” She stands and snatches up her coat. “And I have seen the way you look at Steven, I know the look of the first blush of…”

 

“How? How have you seen me look at him?! Have you been hanging around school?! Besides, his name is Stefan, and he has a girlfriend! And the reason I mentioned him being handsome was because that is my opinion, he is not my object of lust!”

 

“Gus, cool it.” I order and he puffs an angry breath before plunking on the sofa and folding his arms, then quickly unfolding them when I mouth Jenny at him.

 

“Thank you, Brian. Well, Gus, I am waiting.”

 

“What for?” I ask then grimace. “He does not owe you an apology, if that's what you are waiting for. You owe him one.”

 

“Me?! I did nothing but…”

 

“Lie and embarrass me.” Gus cuts in and stands up. “Now, because of what you thought and wrongly acted on, everyone thinks that I fancy the guy. And his girlfriend, who plays lacrosse, warned me off! Did I mention that she plays lacrosse?!” I bite back my laughter at the furious glance from Gus. “How could you tell his mother that I thought her son was hot?!”

 

“You told his mother that?” I glare at Lindsay, who goes redder.

 

“And you’re going to cancel this date you’ve set up!”

 

“Date? What date? With who?” I demand.

 

“It is not a date in that sense, it’s just two friends getting acquainted!” She blusters. “And I will not be doing that. Maryanna seems a very nice woman, she and her family have quite the social standing.”

 

“Sally-Anna. Her name is Sally-Anna.” Gus sighs. “Mom, can you just leave them alone?”

 

“You will not dictate who I am friends with!” Lindsay spits, and I can see this escalating into a full scale row, which I would rather not have in my office.

 

“And you will not dictate who I have a crush on, especially when I don’t have a crush!” He bites back. “Dad, I will see you at the loft tonight.”

 

“Okay, Sonny…” But he storms out before I can finish.

 

“He’s getting mouthier these days.” She grumbles and sits back down. “And you, like Mel, didn’t back me up!”

 

“Lindsay, he is fifteen, not five. You tried to set him up with someone he’s not interested in, that’s not mouthy that’s rightfully pissed.”

 

“I didn’t try and set him up!”

 

“You told the kid’s mother that Gus thinks her son is hot! Not handsome, but hot!”

 

“Fine! Cast me as the villain when all I want is for Gus to be happy and in love…”

 

“He’s fifteen, he has plenty of time for that! Now, speaking of time, I am done talking about this. And if you want back into his good books, cancel your play date with Sally-Anna!”

End of flashback

 

“So you going to tell us who’s who?” Jewel asks as she pours the wine. “Just their names, don’t give me any other deets. Want to form our own opinions.”

 

“I will chat, you rest your voice.” Ems orders, and I happily obey.

 

An hour later, I am heading up to bed, having told them that I am tired because of the amount of coughing I have been doing and nothing to do with the hair stroking or congee and chicken soup that is currently soothing my soul!

 

BEN AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - NEXT DAY

 

BEDROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

I watch for Ben from the window and can’t understand his grumpy mood lately. He says that he’s just tired, but if he’s so tired, why did he going for a run before we go to Britin? That makes no sense.

 

I turn my phone in my hand willing it to ring. I haven’t heard from him in a few days, he’s sulking, because I had to work most of the time I was in Cali. You’d think he would appreciate the chances I am taking, especially when he just dropped by unannounced. His mood was not improved when I couldn’t take him to the loft. I am still mad at Ben for blurting that out, although the fact that we’ve all been invited for dinner means, to my mind, that Brian’s calmed down and realised how much he has overreacted. Like I said, he’s not using it as much, if at all! But as well as hearing his voice to say that we are fine, we have something else to discuss.

 

“Oh you have got to be kidding me?!” I grumble as my phone rings just as Ben comes back in. Sighing, I send it to voicemail and join Ben in being grumpy!

 

BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

I hate to admit it, but I do feel so much better. I had such a good night’s sleep, which has nothing to do with the hair stroking of a certain nubile blonde, who...nubile, why am I thinking of him as nubile?! Get a grip Kinney, we are friends, definitely just friends! He was going to join us for lunch, but after the conversation I had with Ben this morning, he thought it best not to. He, Jewel and Pearl are going to have lunch with Ems instead.

 

I look up as I hear the crunch of gravel. Mel and Lindsay have arrived, and, judging by the tension in their faces, they’re still not quite at peace with each other.

 

“Good afternoon, Mel, Ms Peterson, Brian is in the lounge.” I hear Mark telling them as he lets them in.

 

“Mark, why do you call her Ms Peterson?” I ask as I come into the hallway looking hopeful.

 

“I shall put it in the kitchen.” Mel laughs when my eyes light up at the sight of the hamper.

 

“It’s okay, Mel, I can take it.” Mark smiles at her. “Because that’s how I’ve been told to…”

 

“No, that shit stops. She’s not being treated like a ladyship by proxy, just call her Lindsay from now on, okay?”

 

“Okay, Brian.” Mark smirks just a little and heads to the kitchen.

 

“Did you have to do that?” Lindsay pouts.

 

“Yes.” I retort and then smile as the familiar ping of Brandon’s tone chimes out and quickly read his text. “Ah. Brandon has gotten Ben and they are on their way.” I turn and walk back to the lounge, I wave the bottle of red from last night at them.

 

“I’m driving, so nothing for me. Mel, will you join me in the sobriety…”

 

“No, make mine a large one!” Mel exclaims,  flopping onto the sofa, I hand it to her and then sit opposite them, the only sound is of the keys to the loft jangling in my pocket.

 

“Did you say Brandon is bringing Ben? Why?” Lindsay frowns.

 

“Just said he’s bringing him. Debs and Carl are coming with Michael.”

 

“Are those the new…”

 

“Lindsay.” Mel warns, and I sip my wine. “Don’t push luck you don’t have where the loft is concerned.”

 

“Brian and I have…”

 

“We have not discussed it, because I wanted you and Michael to hear what I have to say at the same time so I don’t have to repeat it. And in front of Mel so I have a witness.”

 

“Really, Brian, don't you think this sulking has gone on long enough?” Lindsay grouses.

 

“If you thought there wouldn't be a problem, why didn't you ask if you could use the loft?” Mel counters. “You still haven't said why you didn't do that.”

 

“I didn't think…”

 

“Stop speaking, because doing so keeps you here.” Mel orders, and we both look surprised.

 

“Melanie! How dare you be…”

 

“Hello! Where is everyone?!” Debs calls out as she comes in, Lindsay's expression is a cross between confused and annoyed.

 

“Lounge! Put the pot roast in the kitchen first!”

 

“Okay, sweetheart!”

 

I start the countdown as the front door is slammed shut and Michael comes in.

 

“Hi all. Do you know where Ben is and how long has Ma had a key to this place?”

 

“Ben is coming with Brandon.” I reply. “Where's Carl?”

 

“Why is Brandon coming? When did you say Ma got a key again?”

 

“In about ten minutes and I didn't. Hey, Debs, you are looking well. Where's Carl?”

 

“Hey, you handsome thing!” Debs grins then pauses in her approach. “Kitchen, just putting the roast in. I take it you are no longer contagious? You sound like the Love Walrus!”

 

“Love Walrus? Who the hell is that?!” I demand as I open my arms to accept the crushing hug she will give me. “Ah, a Debbie special, a roast and a hug! Bliss!”

 

“The late, great, and sonorous Barry White. Now who needs a top up?” Carl asks as he comes in. “Mark shooed me out. Said something about wanting to get it on the table unnibbled. Have no idea what he is talking about.” He grins as he heads to the cabinet. “Top ups? And red or white for you honey?”

 

“Red please.” Debs gets herself comfortable. “Now did I hear you say Brandon is bringing Ben? You three have been spending a lot of time together I notice.”

 

“A lot of time, what does that mean?” Michael demands. “And when did you get a key, Ma?”

 

“Michael, if you haven't had the question answered on the third attempt by two different people, take the hint and stop asking!” Mel clips out, then looks at Lindsay’s still peevish expression. “Oh for goodness sake! May I, Brian?”

 

“Yes, you may.” I raise my glass to her.

 

“Debs has had keys ever since the first piece of furniture was put in.”

 

“What?!” Lindsay gasps. “But why?!”

 

“Needed someone to oversee the move, and…”

 

“I would've done that for you!”

 

“So would I!” Michael exclaims.

 

“But Debs doesn’t feel the need to nest build like you two do!” I bite back.

 

“Nest build?! What does…” He begins, then gapes as Brandon and Ben walk in, Brandon has a holdall with him, which causes me to frown but not question it out loud. “What is…which one of them has a key?!”

 

“Just putting this away. Won't be long.” Brandon calls out as he heads upstairs.

 

“Hey, Ben honey. You are looking well. Where have you been, you okay?” Debs opens her arms and he smiles before bending down to bestow a kiss and get a hug.

 

“Yeah, had a few things to do that kept me preoccupied, but now I am feeling like celebrating.” Ben hugs Carl. “Debs, do I smell pot roast?”

 

“Brian insisted.” Carl chuckles, no doubt remembering my flu filled whining that I needed nourishment, which I repeated to Mel, hence more chicken soup with Matzo balls.

 

“Celebrating what?” Mel asks.

 

Ben just smiles and helps himself to wine. “Red or white, Brandon?” He asks as he comes in.

 

“What are you drinking, Bri?”

 

“Since when do you call him Bri, Brandon?” Michael bridles. “And what are you celebrating, Ben? At least you are in a better mood, I could not get a smile out of him for the last few days. I would like a glass of…”

 

“I was doing some research for Brian and Brandon as they were so busy with work and being ill. The pot roast insistence suggests you have acknowledged this.”

 

“Yes, I was ill, with flu, proper flu not man-flu, I hasten to add.” I try to glare the smirk off of Brandon’s face but he just shrugs. “I had pills and everything!” I protest, and he snickers. “Oh, shut up, you wait till you’re sick, see how sympathetic I am!”

 

“I will get it myself then!” Michael huffs, then marches to the cabinet. “Lindsay, do you want anything?”

 

“Actually yes, I will have a small…”

 

“You are driving, Lindz.” Mel reminds her, taking a huge and noisy slurp of her wine.

 

“Very mature, Mel!” She snaps, before joining Michael by the cabinet. “I shall have a small glass of the merlot, please, Michael...no, Michael, it’s the red one.”

 

I smack Brandon in the arm when he laughs.

 

“So what were you researching?” Carl smiles.

 

“Family history. Turns out that the immediate bond between Brian and Brandon is because they are brothers.” I have never heard the room go so quiet. I nod at Ben to continue and find reassurance in Brandon squeezing my hand.

 

“Jesus.” Debs is the first to speak. “How long have you known?”

 

“Not very long, less than two weeks.” I reply.

 

“So you can rest the green beast that resides in your soul, Michael…” Ben taunts him. “...they aren't ever going to screw each other since Brian is neither into older guys or incest.”

 

“Ben!” Michael explodes going red.

 

“What? You've done nothing but bitch about their closeness and speculate about how many times and what positions…”

 

“I have not!” Michael almost screams.

 

“Yeah you have, but moving on.” Ben takes a sip of wine. “So Brandon is older than Brian by eight minutes and thirty three seconds.”

 

“I was doing my hair, I had to make the perfect entrance after all.” I quip, and Ben just shakes his head.

 

He stakes another sip of wine and his eyes shine. “So, Debs, Carl, how you feeling?”

 

My heart is pounding and Brandon’s hand squeezes tighter.

 

“Stunned.” Carl answers. “It is one hell of a shock, but I am glad you two found each other.”

 

“Four. You four found each other.” Ben grins. “And it is all down to you, Michael.”

 

“Me…”

 

“What do you mean four?” Debs frowns.

 

“It is a well known fact, and a source of pride for you that you did the best thing for your babies, right? And everyone knows that you, to your mind, have three children: the twins you gave up when you were fifteen and Michael, right?”

 

“Uh, yes.” She answers slowly.

 

“And everyone, well mostly, was delighted when you and Carl reconnected after all those years, right?”

 

“Ben…” Mel’s voice is filled with tears. “...are you saying…”

 

“Yep.” Ben sniffs then nods at Brandon and I. “You raised at least one of them, a little late but you raised him.”

 

“Oh my god.” Lindsay whispers.

 

We are all looking at Debs and Carl as realisation slowly begins to dawn. First they look at each other and then us.

 

“Our boys?” She whispers.

 

“Yeah.” Ben wipes his eyes. “They're yours.”

 

“Holy Christ!” Carl weeps. “Come here, you two!”

 

Twenty minutes later, we’ve stopped crying but neither Debs nor Carl, I mean Mom and Dad, have let go of our hands. Michael is just sitting there stunned, his wine untouched.

 

“How does it feel?” Ben asks.

 

“Brilliant, astonishing but fucking brilliant.” Mom kisses his forehead. “I don’t know…yes I do! We have to throw a party!”

 

“We will and I shall sort it, but I didn't mean you, Debs, I mean you, Michael.”

 

“Me? I am…”

 

“How does it feel to know that your hopes of a romance with Brian are forever dashed, and Brandon doesn’t like you...he said that you reminded him of an annoying little brother and now that’s true, well half brother.”

 

“Ben! What the hell is wrong with you?!” Michael explodes. “You have been a carping dickhead for days now!”

 

“You are cheating on me.” He stretches for his wine. “Don’t deny it. I have seen you and smelt you. How was Paris?”

 

“Ben, it was a one off mistake. I…uh, Paris?”

 

“Yes, you took him to Paris….for a week. That’s not a mistake, but save your apology and excuses because I lied too.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I reach shakily for my glass. He knows, and he’s lied about something. I swallow half the wine down and brace myself. So it was him.

 

“Well, partly lied. He is family, but he’s my son, not my cousin.” Ben looks...well, he looks relieved! As if the weight of the world is off his shoulders.

 

“Hun...Hunter is your son?!”

 

“And that’s the only thing I have lied to you about.” He frowns at me. “What did you think I was going to say?”

 

Well I kinda hoped you were going to say that you were the one that gave me anal warts!





Ginger chicken congee:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/ginger-chicken-jook-rice-porridge-29184

Korean fried chicken: https://mykoreankitchen.com/korean-fried-chicken/

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.