- Text Size +

CHAPTER 56 -  UNFRIENDLY FIRE AND ASSISTANCE


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - THREE WEEKS’ LATER


OUTSIDE COURTROOM ONE 


BRIAN


I feel like such a pathetic idiot. Mom, Dad, Daph and Bran head to join the others so I can make the call. My shoulder starts to throb as I wait for it to connect. He doesn’t answer, my heart sinks and I hang up. Swallowing down my tears, I dial again, this time I wait for his voicemail to kick in.


“Hey, Blue, um, I’ve, I need you to come home. I thought I could do this, but I can’t.” I press the phone to my throat and take a few deep breaths. “Everyone is looking at me with pity, which I get but can’t stand, except for Michael. He’s been looking so fucking pleased as she goes into exacting detail! Not sure how he even got in!” I step back into the alcove and grip my shoulder. “Please, please, just come home as soon as you can. Please.” I hang up and fight hard not to break down. 


“How mighty are the fallen!” Michael crows. “Look at the pitiful former playboy, weeping over a few boo-boos! The Stud’s a eunuch now! Or should I say the Cockblogger is a eunuch now? You’re him aren’t you?! Have to admit it’s a masterstroke! I can’t wait to tell all of Liberty Avenue that the Stud is also a gossipy snitch!”


Briefly, I cringe, wondering how long he’s been there, before saying as coldly as I can. “Fuck off, Michael.”


“Or what?” He taunts, stepping closer. “What you gonna do to me, now I know your secrets! A closed court was brilliant, however, me being your baby brother finally had a use. Had to be supportive, by keeping my laughter just between us?!”


“I know your secrets too, remember?” I retort. “You’re the one with the escort history, you’re the one who had anal warts, you’re the one that fucked his half brother!”


“The anal warts has been largely forgotten.” He blushes and mutters before looking thoughtful. “Tell you what, you keep quiet about me, I keep quiet about you. I think that’s fair.”


“He doesn’t have secrets!” Blue storms. I suppress my squeal of joy and relief. “Because what you'd do, no matter what you promise, is spin the truth sprinkled with lies, as always! Now you heard my fiance. Fuck. Off!”


His  usual loser sourpuss look fills me with joy, it's replaced by fury when he pushes past Justin. “Before you go.” I declare, he pauses, radiating defeat and resentment. “Face me.” He scowls at Justin’s jabbing. “That's better. One word gets out about what was said in court, I’ll know it’s you and will see you there next!” He tries to be scornful. “You had to sign an NDA to get in!”


“No I didn’t!” He pales at Justin’s smirking. “So what?! I can say what I want!” He gripes, but I see the fear and, for the first time in weeks, smile. 


“Try. Go out there and spew your poison.” Another nervous glance at Justin. “As you’ve often whined, I'm very protective of my reputation, and how I can be a total asshole. One word and I’ll bankrupt you!”


“Fucker!” He snarls before stalking away. Emmett, Ben, Drew and Bran block his attempts to leave. “Let me pass!” 


“Ask nicer, Warty Boy!” Bran returns.


“I’ll call the cops!” 


“What cops?!” Ben laughs. “You stayed back, wanting Brian alone, so you got hung by your own rope!” 


“Let him go!” Dad orders. They step aside, he scowls at Dad, who grabs his elbow. “Where we are, you won’t be, ever again!”


“You need to get a restraining order for that, Horvie!” He yanks himself free. “Besides, I’ve had my fun, onto the next fish!” He stops in front of Mom. “I’m so glad I got nothing from your gene pool.” She continues checking her phone. “Didn’t you hear me? You gave the, I suppose, best parts to those two. The ability to be sluts comes from you, doesn't it, fish?!”


Bran holds Dad back, whilst Justin does the same to me. “Let her handle it.” 


DEBS


I put my phone away. “You know what?” He continues. “I’ve had an excellent idea. I’m going to ask Joan’s attorney if I can be a witness against you two. I think that will help her case, to show the world your true characters!” I put my purse over my shoulder and head towards Carl. “Nothing to say?”


“Who to? I don’t know you.” I call back and return Carl’s proud smile.


MICHAEL


“Mr Novotny, can I help you?” I turn to DA Paulson and smile. “Well can I?”


“Yes, I was just wondering what the protocol is for closed courts?”


“Protocol, in what respect?” 


“Do all who attend have to sign a NDA?”


“Yes, the breaching of which is treated as contempt. The perpetrator will be dealt with most severely by the courts.” His gaze is cold and challenging. “Will you be facing me later?”


“No you won’t.” I mutter, and dejectedly make my way to my car, wondering why fate seems to conspire to spoil my fun.


“Shit!” I exclaim when I see the time. Gunning the engine, I make it to the store within the hour. When I see there’s nothing I want to do now, I decide to go shopping. 


As I head back to my car, someone taps my shoulder. I’m surprised to see Matthew. “What are you doing here?”


“Just going for a walk, where are you going?”


“Shopping. Have you heard from George?”


“No, and why are you going shopping? What about the store?” I shrug and carry on. “I don’t think that Lindsay will be happy with you shirking your duties!”


“Lindsay’s fine with how I work!” I call over my shoulder. He yells something, so I turn around. “We have an accommodation, you wouldn't understand!” I wave goodbye, then flick him the bird after he walks away.


MATTHEW


I‘m surprised to see Lindsay outside the store, looking pissed but radiant. “What are you doing here?” 


“Michael’s been going to the trial, so you know how charming he’ll have been to Brian.” I mirror her look of disgust. “I’m aware of the irony of me being upset that he continues to hurt him. However, Brian’s a good man, a trusting easy touch where we were concerned, but a good man and a good father - especially to Jenny when he wouldn’t be. This gift horse has been kicked in her mouth enough. Time to call Ben.”


ALLEGHANY MEETING ROOM - AFTERNOON


COURTROOM ONE


JUSTIN


I’m holding him close, whilst the bailiffs try to restore order. Thanks to Ben and Bran being behind him, he won’t be able to see her, should he twist around.


The moment Caligula started screaming when she was found guilty on all counts, Carl took Debs and Claire out, so she’s directing her hatred at him, calling him a faggot, the c-word and wishing him dead. 


“I want to face her.” He whispers, before clearing his throat. “I need to, please move, you two.“ I see everyone’s concern, but I know why he has to do it, the same way I had to face Ethan, to end that fear. 


“Ms Carpenter! Be quiet and sit that raddled ass down!” She’s so stunned that she’s easily put back in her seat. “I suspect if you could’ve had Mom dispensed with, you would’ve done, but we're here, free and with Dad, something that you will never be! Your jealousy and supposed piety has left you a murderer. You knew what he would do when he found Claire, but you told him anyway.”


“If God wanted the child to survive, it would’ve!” Those hatefully gleeful words silence the court. Jack goes pale and turns away. “He knows I speak the truth. It was God’s will, that man was merely the instrument, a way to its end.”


“Get her out!” The judge bellows.


JOAN


I’m furious! How is this possible?! As Frederick escaped punishment by dying, I’m facing this alone! However, it seems that he wouldn't have faced prison, typical of the turncoat to use his ill health to avoid responsibility. I still can’t see why I couldn’t see his body!


“Your attorney is going to be a few minutes.” The guard declares. “She’s speaking to the DA.”


“Who’s most likely a deviant like his client! I pity Carl for having a child like that!”


“Children, who you effectively kidnapped!” My attorney snaps as she enters. I glower. “Sit down and listen!”


I remain standing. She nods at the guard, but my efforts to stay that way are futile. 


“Here or the chair?!” He grunts, also clamping my arms to my side.


“Here!” I gasp in pain from humiliation and my scraped knees.


“I’d reconsider if I were you. You being a drunkard for many years has weakened your system. That floor’s cold and hard, much like your heart where the children and Mrs Horvath are concerned.”


“That child had the devil in him and his behaviour had to be corrected. As for that creature, I didn't do that. Those were at the hands of her partner, she was exasperating as a child, she got worse as she grew both up and out! These charges should be summarily dismissed!”


“They can’t be, you’ve been found guilty. How’s this not getting through to you?”


“I mean that you should sort out an appeal, of course!” I spit. My head joins my knees in throbbing. “I don’t understand why I was found guilty!”


“You admitted it and was so proud of what you did to your daughter!”


“I was confused. They tricked me. Used mind games!” I sit back on my heels, but am brutally pulled forward. “Let me up! This is abuse!”


“Oh, now it’s abuse, is it?!” He growls, whilst shoving me onto the chair. “One fuck-up in manners from you, and back you go!” She beckons the guard closer, they whisper, he snickers then smirks. “I won't be long, let me know if she gets shitty with you.” 


“I will.” She laughs, I glare at her, she curls her lip. 


The minutes tick by in silence, my heart and mind race. I start to tremble and sweat as my cravings clamour for relief. 


“If it wasn’t for who you are, I’d be more impressed..” Her smile is unsettling. 


“Meaning?”


“Given you’ve not had a drink in weeks, you’re coping very well.”


“I’m not a drunk. I’ve always been able to give it up!” I hiss, clasping my hands to hide the trembling. “Now, whilst you’re finding me another attorney to do the job you failed, I wish to return to prison.” I daren’t stand as my legs are shaking, so pretend that I’m waiting for her permission. “I’m injured at your behest, I need treatment! Everyone is entitled to medical aid!”


“She’s right, they are.” The guard states as he returns, holding my toiletry bag. “Thought you might want to freshen up before you go.” I snatch it close to my chest. “Bathroom’s three doors down, a woman guard’s outside.”


LADIES BATHROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


JOAN


My knees are badly scraped. I clean them as best I can, using my destroyed tights. I wish for the inane chatter of my fellow occupants to stop so I can think properly.


“Are you sure you don’t want it?” Someone asks.


“No, I don't like brandy.  Maybe you can give them to someone else?”


“But who though?” 


“Excuse me!” I call out. “What, what kind of brandy is it?” I scrabble to open the door. 


“Napoleon.” She replies. My heart leaps at the size of the three bottles, they're small enough to fit in my bag, which they've already checked! “Did you want it?”


“Yes, I’d forgotten a gift for my daughter, you’re a lifesaver!”


“Oh, no problem! Hope she enjoys it!” She smiles and they leave. 


I go back to the cubicle, my heart racing, I’ve hated every minute of the one time I went dry. I  would rather die than do that again!


Working in the infirmary and making friends has given me some access, but not of a high enough strength to satisfy me long term. But these, they can satisfy my needs if I eke it out, but first a quick nip.


“Carpenter! You okay?” The guard calls from the door.


“Yes, fine, just an upset stomach, you understand?”


“Upset stomach or not, you’ve got a minute before I come and get you!” 


“Coming!” I return, then making sure they’re secure, rinse my mouth twice with water, then soap and water. Which makes me retch, but masks the smell better! “Ready, will the van be long?” I ask, trying not to smile as the brandy warms my soul. “Or am I going to holding?”


“You’re going back to the courtroom.” She frowns then stares. “For sentencing.”


“That happens now?!” I gulp. “I thought I’d have a chance to appeal first.”


“Let’s go.” She orders. 


Steeling myself, I head back to face my fate.


COURTROOM ONE


MARK


I hide my smirk as she makes her way to her seat. Incredulous looks and muttering abounds. 


“Counsellor! What is the meaning of this?!” The judge bellows.


“I have no idea! She wasn’t like that a few minutes ago!”


“Wasn’t like what?!” She slurs. “I’m fine, let’s get this, this overdone with, over and done with, places to go, people to tend to!”


“Ms Carpenter, you’re drunk!” Her attorney snarls, shaking her when she seems to be going to sleep. “Wake up, for crying out loud, have you no shame?! Bailiffs! Help her to stand!”


“Oh, this is hilarious!“ Brian snickers as she sways before starting to dribble. 


“Your honour, perhaps some water for the defendant?” Jack calls. “I can pour, if it pleases the court?”


“Thank you Mr Kinney, as quick as you can!” 


“Of course, Your Honour!” He smiles. The shriek as he throws it in her face is ear piercing. “That should cleanse her spirit!” The bailiffs are so stunned that they let go, she lands in a heap then starts to snore.


“Well isn’t that special! Bailiffs, get her sobered up. Court is adjourned till tomorrow morning!”


WOODY’S LATE EVENING


CLAIRE


Brandon reaches across to squeeze Brian’s arm. “Hey, you okay?” 


“Yeah, a lot better now.” He replies, whilst watching Justin help Jewel get more drinks. “I was stupidly selfish, wanting him to focus on something nicer, anything other than this, because of Ethan. Didn’t want him triggered. Like I said, stupid, so stupid.” He looks rueful. “I’ve been bollocked and cockblocked for the rest of the week!” 


“The week?!” Emmett snorts. “Oh, that is one pissed off fiance!”


“Yeah.” He blushes. “So any idea how she got hold of the booze?”


“It was something that Mark found out after her attorney noticed something.” We turn to Dad and Mark. 


“Her attorney?” I echo.


“Yes, now go on, Mark, tell them.”


“She’s been getting bootleg stuff, which is why she’d not been going through the DTs. And Jack happened to mention that she's only been off booze once, for about an hour, was in severe pain, and swore never to do it again.” 


Dad looks around before winking, I gape at him, unable to comprehend what I think he’s done. “You?”


“I do believe you’ve got it, Claire.” He smiles and kisses my cheek. “A little bit of payback.”


“Got what?” Ben frowns. “What payback?”


“Between the three of them, they got her drunk so that the detox is mandatory?!” I exclaim, his grin widens. “Where’d you get the booze from?”


“It’s best that it remains one of our little secrets!” Dad laughs.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.