- Text Size +

CHAPTER 59 - PETULANCE, JOY, REPUGNANCE AND COMEUPPANCE


MICHAEL’S ROOM - HALF AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


How dare he take the beers away?! Thankfully, I had bought my essentials like Captain Crunch and Mrs Chips - since Lindsay keeps forgetting to buy them - more beer and a couple bottles of wine. They were recommended by a cute guy in the liquor store. He took my number, said to call him up when I’m next in town; which if all goes to plan I’ll have a fuckdate ready, willing and waiting for me.


Turning up the TV to mask the can opening, I contemplate their disbelief. It must be him, who else can it be? Although, I can see it being Jewel with Mel’s help; both vindictive bean-flickers. Oh, wait a minute, I know exactly who's working with that psycho prick, it’s Pearl and Jenny! Those two nasty terrors have had it in for me ever since I gave up my rights; I bet Daddy Ted helped too.


“Let’s see what they’ve been saying about me.” I grouse while logging onto the site. I gape when I see the headline. “Boyd married! Ex-Ironman Drew Boyd has broken hearts, but confirmed long time suspicions by marrying his love, reclusive millionaire Emmett Honeycutt. The ceremony was held two days ago with only a few people in attendance. Talking exclusively with Gay Times and a select other publications, including moi, the couple explained that they had progressed from friends to lovers over a period of time and it felt right.” 


I stare at the page for a few seconds, then scroll down and see the pictures. “A few people!” I scoff as I see that everyone who I once considered my family and friends was there, their smiles hiding the emotional and psychological knives they plunged into my back.


Hunger has me heading downstairs. I’m all set to stomp because they hate it, but their laughing gives me pause. Straining to listen, I fume as they assassinate everything about me. I’m horrified when Lindsay tells him about a time when she was in Woody’s and she overheard a guy saying how small and crap I was in bed - as clearly the stud gene skipped me because he’d slept with both Brian and Brandon! 


Over two hours later, I’m on my bed trying to ease the leg cramps, but it was worth it because my lover-brother called and gave Matthew his new number. I smirk as I crack open another beer then dial it. “Hey, George, it’s Michael. Oh, you're pleased to hear from me. Why’s that…”


JEWEL AND PEARL’S HOUSE - NEXT AFTERNOON


MEL


“Mom! Please put my Grandmom down!” Pearl blubbers. Whilst she stops swinging Lynnie, I hand Pearl a tissue, which she refuses, wiping her face on her sleeve instead. “You really got married, Grandpa? Really truly?!”


“Really truly.” He sniffs. “The second her divorce was finalised, we had the licence ready and a DA who happens to be licenced minister!” She cries harder into the stomach of Renwick. Jewel pours a brandy, and with a nod from Denzil, presses it into Pearl’s hand. 


Although she coughs a bit, she starts to calm down, which in turn eases the worry of Dempsey and Makepiece who have been looking for whatever it was that made Pearl scream the place down. 


“Okay, I’m fine.” She snivels, handing the glass back. “So the newbies I’ve acquired since we moved here are; a grandma, a stepdad, a godfather, a big sister, a bestie brother, a cool GBF, and an uncle who loves my uncle. Is that it?” 


“I think that’s all!” Brian laughs. “We’re still getting married after Justin’s show. Ems made me promise that you guys could plan that one.”


“Plan your and Justin’s wedding?!” Her shrieking upsets Dempsey and Makepiece, so much they growl at Brian. “Boys, it’s okay, Moma Jnr just happy!” She nuzzles their noses and after a warning look - from both at Brian - they head to the loveseat and settle down, but with an eye open and an ear cocked. “Nobody says another word until I come back with my iPad!” She orders, sprinting out. 


We take the opportunity to finish setting the table for tasting; Debs and Blake have come up with new menus for Diamonds, Babylon and Woody’s. Justin opens the door to Grace, Reva, and, to everyone’s surprise, George!


“What’s he doing here?” Carl frowns.


“Michael called.” George states. “I’m going to see him.”


“Are you crazy?!” Debs growls, whilst Grace holds Reva back. “That boy has caused nothing but misery to all concerned. You’d be a fucking idiot to go anywhere near him!”


“He thinks that Justin is the Cockblogger.” George rolls his eyes. “And that Pearl and Jenny are in league with the psycho devilish nutjob.” 


JEWEL


As usual, Pearl has impeccable timing. She looks from George to Reva, then Jenny. “Oh, and what does he intend to do about that?”


“Total annihilation.” Again he rolls his eyes. “I mean, he was drunk of course, babbling about how unfair everything is. How everyone has gotten everything apart from him. Of course none of this is his fault. Oh, and wanted desperate reassurance that he is more than average size and better in bed than you, Brian.”


“When the hell did you two sleep together?!” Carl bellows.


“As in the same bed!” Justin rubs his arm. “He took him home, but was too drunk, said he’d fuck him in the morning. Then, when he woke up and there was a condom on the floor, he assumed they had and tossed him out.”


“Finally, thank fuck!” Pearl and I grin in relief. “They’re talking to each other. Listening and understanding what lies where - he doesn’t affect their future.”


George, slightly red faced, nods in confirmation. “He’s going to expose Justin at his show.” 


Immediately, the clamouring starts, which Renwick waves into silence. “We’ll get a restraining order.”


“Seriously?” Carl starts to smile. “How long would that take?”


As he gives that some thought; I feel a burst of love for him. Ever since he came to the Pitts, he, Carl and Debs have struck up a close bond. “Kaumatuas, may I make a suggestion?”


“Kauma what?” Mel frowns.


“Kaumatuas, means elder statements or doyennes of society, which they are. Move here?” 


“Oh that's a great idea!” Carl enthuses. “You could, um maybe, where would…”


“Vic’s place!” Debs exclaims. “It’s been sitting empty, haven’t had the heart to do anything with it all this time, was waiting for the right person and you’re it!”


“Why haven't you offered it to Michael?” Grace asks.


“Because it was meant to go to Brian…” She tears up, we give her a moment. “...then Kiki bought the loft with her inheritance and gave that to him. I’m Vic’s executor, so what do you think, come see it?”


“Why not Michael?” Brian and Brandon embrace her, whilst Carl is struggling to contain his emotions. “What did he do?”


“Got mad about something or other and trashed it, then blamed you. I knew it was a lie, so I did nothing, which is why he was so pissed all those years ago, spitting shit about me playing favourites and preferring you to him.” Brian starts to grind his jaw, Brandon jerks his head, they step outside for a few minutes, the language that follows even makes Pearl wince. When they return, Justin and Ben immediately comfort them; again we give them the time they need. “You two okay?” 


“Yeah, it’s in the past. About this restraining…”


“So that’s what he was talking about.” George scowls. “When we were using your names, he said that there was no way that you, Debs, couldn't believe it. I didn’t know who Horvath was. Sorry.”


“No restraining order.” Brian fumes. “If he thinks that what’s happening now is bad, wait till he gets to the show.”


“But Brian, I don’t want him there.” Justin protests.


“I know, Blue, but he caused us so much fucking problems with that. Okay…” He holds up a hand. “...I didn’t help by trying to fix it without asking you to help me, but I’ve been nice long enough! But what - what the fuck can we do that will have him totally annihilated instead?”


“I dunno! It’s not as if we can have him put him in jail for accessory to attempted murder.” I despair. 


“Jewel!” Justin shrieks.


“I know, I know, spitball of frustration!”


“He knew!” Justin grabs my arms. “Remember in the diner, you recognised his voice, he called that night. That’s what led to him attacking me. And then when he came to Britin and found out about us, he said, he said, that Ethan was trying to defend himself against me, so he knew!” 


“Pearl, what did you do with the phone?!” Mel demands.


“I think it's in the office!” She babbles, we all rush after her, with the boys following and barking excitedly.


TWO HOURS LATER


RENWICK  

 

I hang up and smile thinly. “Nothing leaves this room. Anybody that speaks to him about this, I am looking at you George, will be arrested for aiding and abetting a criminal.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kinid and constructive if reviewing, thanks.