- Text Size +

CHAPTER 65 - BEING HER FINALLY COSTS HER  DEAR…


BANK MANAGER’S OFFICE, NEXT MORNING


LYNETTE


We've been going through her accounts for the last two hours; every single cent that she has spent since she ‘inherited’ is beng accounted for. At first this was a delaying tactic on her part, but this has spectacularly backfired!


We knew that our parents were well thought of, their parties were legendary and their funerals were attended by almost five hundred people. Lindsay, of course, was in charge, crying prettily whilst bemoaning the ‘greatest loss of her life, which she had to shoulder alone’. 


“Lynnette...” I frown at Cedric, our bank manager’s tone. “…who paid for their funeral?”


“I did…”


“I had their wishes, so…”


“Wishes smishes!” He hisses. “She claimed the expenses, so you’re getting that from her share and…Helena, I said I was not to be disturbed.” His scowling at the interim elicits a sly grin from her, which he doesn’t miss.


“Apologies, but Judge Ichabod is here.”


“Oh, send him in, please; can you make some more coffee and call for pastries, you know his…” 


“Already got them!” Judge Ichabod strides in. “Just the coffee, please. Where are we?”


“Wondering why you’re here?” I enjoy her sickened expression.


“I’ve got her phone. So where are we?” He pulls a chair alongside Cedric.


“Your honour, why should you be privy to my accounts?!” She exclaims.


“Speak to your attorney about that…” He puts her phone on the desk. “...we’ll wait here, you’ll wait in jail for them to come and explain, during which time I will be privy to your accounts anyway.” Defeated, she dumps her phone in her purse. “Cedric?” He keeps his gaze on her whilst he’s caught up. “Ms Peterson, I understand your invidiousness towards your sister extended to an affair with your ex brother in law?”


It’s the quickly masked glee that’s the final straw.  “Yes, your honour, the thaumaturge that was her pussy eventually worked its magic. He did say as willing as you were, you weren’t that able.” I tap her shoulder. “Look at me…” I tap harder. “...I will be like a woodpecker until you do.”


She looks contemptuous. “Funny how you weren’t so talkative when you told me you knew.” 


I tinkle a laugh, which she loathes. “My dear…” Another peeve of hers. “...as if you wouldn't take this opportunity.” 


“Enter!” Cedric calls, Helena brings in the coffee. “A brief respite for you, Ms Peterson, to gather your defence ahead of Mrs Richards’ victim statement  if you have one.”


“Is there anything…victim statement?” Helena looks around the room. “Would you like me to take notes, Judge Ichabod?”


“Oh that would be excellent.” He grins. 


“Can’t this be recorded, please, your honour? I would really like to keep the circle of those in the know small.”


“It needs to be typed up for filing.” Helena stares coldly. “I would be bound by the confidentiality of the court anyway.”


“Request denied. Helena, please join us in thirty minutes.” 


“Yes, your honour.” She returns, striding out.


“You have another fan. What…” He pauses as his phone beeps, he strokes his chin as he reads. “...what have you done to upset her?”


“Be Lindsay Peterson.” Cedric retorts. “Was that anything to do with this?” He nods at his phone.


“In a way, let’s have coffee.” He smiles then winks at me.


I glance at Zach, he also winks, what are they up to?!


UPPER MORELAND POLICE DEPARTMENT - SAME TIME


DESK SERGEANT


“Total charges are $3,500, that’s for the ten speeding tickets, court processing fees and interest.” I smile as Novotny’s eyes bug out; he looks rough as hell. I hand over his personal effects.


“Where’s my card and phone?!” He clamours.


“In the deposit box, your attorney has the key. We’ve called him; be here in twenty minutes. Take a seat…”


“But I…”


“Can always wait in lock up.” I cut him off. Slump shouldered, he heads for the benches, then stares at the door. “Thought you’d do that.”


CEDRIC’S OFFICE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


HELENA


“Apologies for the slight delay.” I sit to Cedric’s right. “Are we ready, Mrs Richards?” She nods. “Is this the start or did I miss something…”


“Yes, my wife said the thaumaturge that was her pussy worked its magic, but she was crap in bed.” Mr Richards states. “Would you like me to define or spell thaumaturge?”


“I’m aware of both, thank you…” I remain impassive at Cedric’s ‘another reason to dodge that bullet’ muttering. “…please continue, Mrs Richards.”


“Your arrogance and jealousy…” She looks incredulous. “…that I am loved and respected, albeit briefly by my husband, made you so dogged in your determination to have everything that I had or wanted. At least we were in the same boat, because he cheated on you too, lest you forget. You really believe that you’re better than me because of your looks…”


“...Lynette’s the beauty, inside and out.” Zach interjects. Him moving closer makes her eye twitch. “Is there anything else you need to say, my love?”


“Just that you’ve thrown away some very good people. You discarded our parents the moment they were buried. Mel, Gus and Jenny you abused their love; with Brian you abused his trust; and now you will be looking over your shoulder, wondering when he’s going to leave, for at the end of the day, he’s his son’s father who left before. You have a common cause in getting away from Michael, just be prepared for a nomadic life.”


“What do you mean?” She hisses.


“That’s the end of my statement. Can we finalise the figure now, please?” She asks.


Cedric nods; we sit in silence for forty minutes as he and Judge Ichabod work. “So the full estate of Ronald and Nancy Peterson, to be shared between you originally, was fifteen million dollars…” 


LYNETTE


“Fifteen million? Does that include the money they set aside for Mel?”


“Yes it does. So the total in your accounts is…”


“I will contest, he was obviously not in his sound mind!” She steams.


“You could.” Helena interrupts. “But what’s left of your inheritance would be swallowed up in fees when you lose And what would you have to live off, as has been noted, you weren’t so able. Age will quickly wither those meagre talents.” 


“How dare you?!” Lindsay thunders. “As a valued cust…”


“Your assets were, you not so much. Now fuck off, you decaying strumpet!”


LINDSAY


“Helena…” Cedric turns to her, I sit back for the censure. “...you’ve put me right off that pastry!”


“Give me my money!” I snap, they laugh harder as I struggle to release my jacket from the chair. “I was able to bear children, something that will never happen for you, and for that I am glad!”


“Those born children hate you.” Helena states. “They love and adore Lynnie.”


“Um, how do you know that?” Lynnette frowns.


“Grace is my godmother and Reva my bestie.” She comes around and kisses Lynnette’s cheek. “I look forward to getting to know you better, Lynnie. I’ll leave you to that, gents.”


We're silent for a few minutes, then Cedric taps the desk. “Miss Peterson, your account’s closed, this is the totality of your assets less the amount payable to Mrs Richards.” I  scowl at the amount. “You are now left with…”


“She should not be privy to…”


“Three million dollars.” He blunders on. “Your honour, is there anything you wish to add?”


“Yes, please!” Judge Ichabod leans back, oh how I despise him. “An address is required so that Ms Marcus can serve your papers for the emotional damages; if an accurate one is not provided within five days, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.” He leans forward. “We will find you. Now is there anything else you need to say about this?”


“No there isn’t. How will…”


“What about your First National Bank account?” Zach interrupts. 


“How do you know about that?!” I gulp.


“I saw the card when we went for cocktails.She didn't mention that, did she?”


“So, what part of all your accounts didn’t you understand?!” Cedric seethes.


“Because it’s not with you!”


“You were told to disclose everything!” Judge Ichabod spits. “We're going to my office, perhaps that will loosen your honesty?!”


GUS AND JENNY’S COTTAGE - FIVE HOURS LATER


MATTHEW


“I’ll get that.” I open the door to an incandescent Lindsay. 


“Why doesn’t my key work?!” She thunders, storming to the lounge. I follow, hoping she doesn’t make things worse for herself. “What…what are you doing here?!”


“You’ve been evicted.” Brian smiles. “I heard you’ve had an expensive day.”


“Evicted? How? Who packed them?” She gestures the cases


“I did.” I reply as Mel returns with the attorney, I had to beg Grace to help me with. “They’ve carried out the final inspection, there’s nothing of ours left.” 


“But the papers were only served yesterday!” She cries. “I need time to...to take this all in.”


“Lindsay, I’ve booked us into the airport hotel; our flights to California are tomorrow night.”


“But I want to say goodbye to the children!”


“You did when they moved into Britin!” Brian snarls. “Where are you going to be in California? You need to provide an address.”


“Brian, Mel…please, I…” She chokes out.


“Need to be gone.” He states. “Mr Novotny, please contact Grace with an address where you two are, or should she be itchy, bitchy and twitchy where you last saw her so we’ve got a starting point.”


“For fuck sake, our friendship, our relationship…” She rails, they’re not the only ones getting impatient.


“Meant nothing when you were shitting down from a great height!” I snap. “Lindsay, let’s just go and start afresh.” She stares for a while before picking up a case. “Thanks for giving us a head’s start, we don’t deserve it.”


“You don’t.” Mel opens the door. “Piss off!”


MATTHEW’S CAR - TEN MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


“What head start did they give us?” I take another tissue. The tears are of rage, they even gave her money from my investments! “And I did not appreciate you snapping...”


“You deserved to be snapped at.” He sighs. “I really like you, Lindz, despite the traits you have. Make no mistake, your money won’t keep me with you. As for the head start, Michael’s being released tomorrow morning, his attorney got hauled into a murder trial last minute, so he was returned to lock up. I need to pack up my house, as that will be his first port of call. So are you coming or not?”


“Yes…” I reply quietly, squeezing his hand. “...I’m coming. What do you think of San Francisco?”


“It’s the gay capital of America, pick somewhere else!” He guffaws.


GUS AND JENNY’S COTTAGE - AN HOUR LATER


MEL


“That’s the last of his shit boxed up!” I take a cleansing breath. “I should’ve told her that I’ve dropped the suffrage case shouldn't I?”


“Yes you should.” Brian chuckles, dropping the box of glass collectibles, twice. “Michael can tell her about that when we give him their address.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks