- Text Size +

CHAPTER 66 -  PERFECTLY PLAYED


MICHAEL’S HOTEL - LONDON - A MONTH LATER 


MICHAEL


I finish drying my hair, then flop back on the bed. I can't believe where I am right now! Even better, Brian and the nutjob have split up after he rightfully put me first. I open the door to let room service in with the food. “Thanks!” I grin. “Can you take the dry cleaning down for me, please?”


“Of course. When would you like these back by?” 


I give this some thought. The meeting with the publishers is Tuesday, first thing. “Lunch time tomorrow should be fine.” I hand him a £5 tip and close the door. “Wonder if they're awake or should I wait until later?” My growling stomach pushes aside thoughts of trying Ma or Brian, I pour the wine, it’s a bit early, but I don’t care. As I take in the London skyline, I raise a glass to recognition of my talent…


Start of flashback - a month prior

DINER 


MICHAEL


“Did you know about this?!” I demand of Mel. 


“We were as surprised as you were when we got there. Read the letter she left for you!”


I tear it open then slowly sit down. “Are you okay? Michael…Michael!” Mel shakes my shoulder.


“She and dad have moved to San Francisco! They’re going to make a go of things, there is no way I am having that slut for a stepmother!” I take a few deep breaths. “She said she’s given Ma my important documents; where is…”


“How was prison?” Hunter drawls. “You seem to be packing light, where’d she put the rest of your stuff?” 


“This is all I have to my name since they left my stuff outside to be destroyed!” I kick the holdall, with about a week’s worth of clothes in it. “I wasn’t in prison, I was in a custody house,  and…”


“The authorities put you in a place and say you can’t leave…” He jibes. “...sounds like prison to me!” 


I grind my teeth and go through my post. I have a few bills, nothing that I can’t handle. I frown at the thick envelope. “Austin Macauley Publishers…why do I know that name?” I mumble and open it. As I read, my heart pounds. “I can’t believe it! I just can’t believe it! Finally something is going right as it fucking should do!” 


“What are you on about, Warty Boy?!” Brandon bitches.


Before I can answer, Ma, her husband, the Dud and his nutjob enter. “Brian, I mean it, if you…”


“Justin, the fact remains that they saw the work, it is his work - the words no, the concept is his…”


“I finessed…” He looks like he wants to cry.


“ENOUGH!” Ma bellows.”I get why you’re all mad after everything he’s done. But Kiki and I raised Brian to do the right thing and this is the right thing.”


“I‘m with Justin, this is so wrong!” Her husband fumes.


“But fair!” Brian shouts. “So…” He turns to me. “..basically, someone saw the comic strip online and wants to recreate it as a standalone publication, and as the original writer, they need to talk to you.”


“That’s it, the wedding's off. Forget you ever know me!” The nutjob screams and runs out. 


“Brian, he's not worth losing Justin!” Her husband yells. “You can’t help him with this!”


“Kiki would be disappointed if I didn’t, and I can’t face that.”


“Brian, what are you doing exactly?” I demand.


“I’m going to help you get the life of your dreams.” He sighs. “Come on.”

End of flashback


Then it was a whirl. I had to contain my joy about the nutjob dumping him, especially when he called Reva, who used her contacts to tightened up my concept and arrange the meetings. Mel went over the contract; after some persuasion from my true brother, Emmett coached me, he made me practice over and over until I could do it without looking at notes. 


Now I am in London with one million dollars worth of investment from Brian! I pour more wine and stretch out on the sofa. When I see another text message from Lindsay demanding a call back, I decide to watch a movie instead.


SIXTY MINUTES LATER


The movie was so boring I dozed off. It takes a few seconds to realise that my phone is ringing, then more to find it. When I see it's Matthew, I try to send it to voicemail but answer instead. I keep quiet hoping he will hang up. 


“This is a video call.” He snaps. “We’ve been trying to speak to you for weeks, where are you?!”


“We? So you two are still together? No, I don’t want to know. I’m in London and you need to tell me where you are, so I can send you the bill for my stuff you destroyed by leaving it out…”


“We’re very much together.” Lindsay joins him. “We left your stuff in the house after Briain and Mel evicted us. Now what did…”


“You two got evicted!” I hoot. “So she bought the cottage and booted you out?!”


“The cottage belonged to the kids.” She blusters. “And they’ve evicted you as well!”


“No they haven’t. I’m back in their good graces…” I get comfortable. Their jaws drop as I tell them what has happened. “…so I’ve got final meetings with the publisher on Tuesday. Brian is back to being the Stud! Let me show you the view that’s Bond Street is down there, and this is my room!”


“But why would they help you?” Matthew frowns. “Reva never changes her mind. When she says no, she means it.”


“Don’t care, I’m finally getting the life and things I deserve, Brian even invested!”


“What?!” Lindsay looks green, I nod smugly. “I can’t believe that after all you’ve done, he gives you money.”


“You’re just jealous, Lindz. Jealous that he’s forgiven me and not you. And it's because of the meetings that I didn’t return your numerous calls.”


“Brian sponsored Justin’s exhibition, that says they’re very much together. I think you’re in serious trouble…”


“I know, he told me he had to sponsor it or the nutjob would’ve sued him!”


“No he didn’t, he could easily walk away unsullied! Brian has done something to you, this is too good to be…!”


“Enough of your jealous histrionics!” I top up my wine. “Was there anything else?”


“No, it’s worked out like you said.” Matthew bitches. “Now, Lindz, let’s get on with the rest of our lives. Good luck on Tuesday!”


“Yes, for once you’ve come out on top, Goodbye, Michael.”


“Later losers!” I crow. “Now to make that call…” I grab the bags from Selfridges, spreading out the contents. I’ve got a couple of suits, some shoes, an attache case, so much stuff, but I’m not sure what goes with what. “...I bet he’s gonna be impressed with what I’ve bought!”


MEL AND LEDA’S LOFT OFFICES - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN


“Stop it!” Bran chides as Ben pinches his ass.


“Then don’t bend down in front of me.” Ben laughs.


“Will you two get engaged and then married quickly?!” Ma grumbles, cutting her eye at me as she puts down another platter. 


“It’s not my fault that the wedding was put off!” I object.


“Who's at fault then?” Dad growls.


“Justin’s. I’ve…”


“Been saved from a fate worse than death!” Michael’s voice makes us jump, “Have made you guys hosts, why am I in the dark?!” 


“Because the cupboard is closed.” I sigh. “You’re a bit early…”


“Never mind. Let me see you; come on Bri, I’ve got stuff to show you and…”


“Fine.” I open the doors. Facing away, he whistles and hums as he moves stuff around on the bed. “Where are you staying? Looks incredible.”


“Nobu Hotel, it’s close to Selfridges where I got all of this from. Right, I think you can see everything now…” When he looks up, both his smile and his arms drop. “…Bri, behind you!” I turn just in time to be body slammed by Justin. “Don’t just stand there, get that psycho off him!”


“Be quiet, they need to reunite!” Dad barks. 


“Reunite?” His question, and everyone, fades to black as I drain Justin’s mouth. I pin him to the wall, he moans and grabs my ass, kneading and grinding. 


“Brian, Justin, you’ve got your honeymoon for that. Let’s deal with this then we can celebrate.”


“Aww, come on, dad!” I plead.


“No.” He replies pulling us apart. “Seriously, think of him and George to curb your enthusiasm!”


“For crying out loud!” Emmett winces as he brings in the champagne. 


“Worked though!” Dad laughs. “Okay, okay, sit together but hands to yourselves!” 


“Brian!” His mottled face fills the screen. “What is…”


“You’re out!” I snap. “Well you will be!”


“Of what? The publication? You can’t, I’ve got a contract!” 


“The good ole US of A. Your citizenship is being revoked. Best million I’ve ever spent.” I sip the mocktail. “That is nice, what is it?”


“Black Widow.” Jewel answers as she and Emmett go around the table. “The yellow one is Cloudy Tokyo, is coconut based; gonna run some savoury ones in all…”


“How can you revoke my citizenship?!” He shrills.


Mom points the remote at the screen. “I suggest having more wine, then checking out somewhere to rent or buy. That hotel is going to eat into your money if you behave like that lazy bum you’ve turned into. I’m going to mute you whilst we wait for Mel and Leda, then we explain.” 


MICHAEL


“No!” I cry, but it’s too late. Then I have an idea, I grab my phone and move to what I hope is a blind spot.


“It won’t work.” Ben giggles. “Your cell has been disconnected and is in the process of being factory reset.” I step back into view. “Sit down, have some wine like Mrs Horvath said, and wait!”


BRIAN


I pull Justin closer, he nuzzles my neck. I twirl his much longer hair. It’s been a month, a very long month, since he went to do his show. It was such a success that he then went to Italy for two weeks after he’d been holed up adding two more paintings. Getting rid of Michael gave me some much needed focus. 


“Sorry, traffic was terrible!” Mel declares as they arrive. “Is he on screen?”


“Yeah, but my mouth needs you more…” Jewel stalks up to her. “...here right now!”


We watch them melt into each other, I’m so happy for them. “Please, mother…” Justin slides into my lap. “...may I?”


“Oh, for god sake!” Mom laughs as she turns off the screen on his red faced objections.


MICHAEL


For the last forty fucking minutes that I’ve been waiting I’ve been googling. I sit back and smile as the screen comes back on. 


“You’re off mute now.” Mel states.


“Bullshit…”


“No, sadly we can hear you!” Shithead Ted snipes.


“I’m speaking to the bullshit asshole that is Brian! You had me going. Okay, the phone is dead, but I can get another one. I can’t revoke my citizenship without signing a load of forms and attending an appointment at either the US or UK embassy and I didn’t do that!”


“We know and you did…” Mel gurns. “...check your email.” My mouth dries as I read. “We got the idea from you.”


“Me?” I whimper.


“Yeah, it was in one of your many discarded drafts. I guess you gave up because it was too difficult to figure out!” Brian raises his glass. “As for the interview, remember when you read those panels? That was it. And returning your passport proves your seriousness.”


“I haven’t returned my pass….that was with the publishers! They…was that even real?!” I gulp. “You said you’d forgiven me for everything, you said…”


“...what you wanted to hear!” Brian snarls. “I wanted to punch you every second we were together! I could feel your joy about Justin dumping me...” They kiss again. “...as you can see, he didn’t.”


“In answer to your question, yes they are… Justin pauses to stuff his hole. “...the publishers and the contracts you signed are real.”


A woman I vaguely recognise comes into view. “Do you know who I am?” I shake my head. “I’m Claire, Millie’s mother, and to thank you for ‘help’ in finding her remains, I’ve spoken to my contacts in the embassy. They’ve agreed to expedite your application. It should be done in a month.”


“But you’ve invested five million dollars…”


“I’ve got another 495 or so left.” They all laugh. “It’s my last gift to you, see not the total asshole.”


“Gift to me…” I start to relax. “…then how is there a downside? I’ve got everything I need for a cushy life! Now why don’t you lot fuck off, I've got a publisher to prepare for...”


“No you don't.” Brandon sniggers. “You served your purpose…”


“My purpose?”


“Yes, you sold Justin’s work beautifully…” Brian sneers. “…well done you!”


“Justin’s?” I croak.


“Yeah…” He drawls. “…whilst you were looking at yours, they were looking at his. He’s gonna be the global phenomenon, not you. As ever, it would never be you! And the renunciation is irrevocable unless there are special circumstances, and you would need your birth certificate, which we have and to be vouched for, which no one will!” 


BRIAN


It's been five minutes since Leda cut off him saying he's sorry and he will change; we still can’t believe we pulled it off. 


“So now can we discuss your wedding?!” Pearl demands.


“Yeah, you can.” Justin beams. “But after I give him a taste of the honeymoon!”




Savoury Mocktails

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.