- Text Size +

CHAPTER 38 - THE WORDS AND ACTIONS OF THEIR FATHERS...AND THE SON


BARN - SAME TIME


BEN


“They’ve just left the cafe. They should be here in about an hour.” Justin looks up from sweeping. He’s actually not said much since they left. “You alright?”


“I was thinking. About Jack.” He sighs. “Maybe they should…”


“Go and see him? Me too, get it all done in one.” I’m about to reach for my phone when it rings; it’s Brandon. I nod at Justin, his relief mirrors mine. 


“So what are we cooking for them?” I ask after hanging up. “It will most likely be an early dinner by the time they get back.”


“What about something new? You know about Brian’s…”


“Yeah. I think that a new dish is an excellent idea, that one is for just you two. Just like the spaghetti is for Bran and me.” I feel the blush creeping up my neck. “Have known about that being his fave for a while.”


“I see. So what do they have in common food wise?” He grins, then we lapse into silence. 


“What are you guys doing?” Debs frowns as she comes in. She nods in understanding when we explain the situation, but smiles at our dilemma. “Oh, that’s easy! For dessert, sticky date pudding with banana praline, for the main, they both love ribs or wings, with citrus marinade, so maybe try that? Let me call Hunter and get him to take the kids to his, Leda can stay with them.” She takes the broom away from Justin. “Mel, can decompress Jewel.”


“Alright. Oh, what about cocktails?” Justin frowns. “Instead of wine?”


“Sazerac will be perfect.” Debs declares. “Now come on, you two, let’s get your men fed.”


JACK KINNEY’S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


JACK


I’m just staring. Staring at Brian and Brandon. I never thought they would come to see me. After I spoke to their friends and made my recording, I figured that would be it. “Um, do you want a coffee or something?” 


“No thanks.” Brian replies as he looks around. “I get what you meant earlier, it is smaller.” 


“Yeah.” Brandon mumbles. “We went to see JJ.”


“Oh Jesus!” I look at Brian carefully. “She got to you?” Brandon looks surprised. “His twitching, left eye. He’d do that when trying to hold his ground.”  


“So do you know how she managed to adopt us?” Brandon asks. “We have a friend that can look into it, but figured that you might know a bit more…”


“The ex.” I reply. “Okay, her I get because she’s still in love with Carl, but him, it’s odd…”


“What do you mean, the ex?” Brian frowns. “Whose?”


“Your mother’s. Matthew.” 


BRANDON


“Novotny. Matthew Novotny? How did they get connected?” I demand.


“Not sure. Just know that he was the person she reached out to when she decided on adoption.” Jack looks between the pair of us, we wanted to face him alone. “Nasty little man. Could not stand Carl…okay, before we continue, Brian, listen. Not here, not now, not ever...now repeat that.” 


I go to speak, but then Brian does. “Not here, not now, not ever.”  


“Say it again.” Jack orders; although his tone is authoritative it is not harsh. He reminds me of Dad. Once more, he does as he’s told and I can see the tension leaving him. “Better?” He nods then mumbles his thanks. “Welcome…”


“What just...” I begin.


“Nightmares. When he first got here, he would have nightmares. You both did. She would bring you to our bed, but Brian, she would leave to cry.” He sighs. “He would beg her to check under the bed for monsters. I ended up doing it. It’s what my dad did for me.”  He wipes his hands on his jeans. “Are you sure you don’t want something to drink?” I look at the glass on the table. “It’s just water. I’ve got something stronger if you want it.” Brian and I exchange looks. “I am still sober, I just couldn’t get rid of it.” He looks a little sad. “It was the last drink I had.” 


“You still have that?!” Brian looks stunned. “Can I see it? Why did you keep it?”


“He gave me a bottle of whiskey for my birthday, a year before he ran.” Jack explains. “Said he saved up for six months. She wanted to share but Brian said that only monster catchers could have it and she had never saved him from them.” They share a look, and briefly, I feel a flash of jealousy, but then I realise that to him, now that he remembers, Jack’s a hero. I just had her dripping malevolence all over my life. “So, do you want some?” 


“I will if you will.” I nudge Brian who nods; we both gape as Jack pulls out a large bible, and inside is a bottle of whiskey. “What is it with bibles?!” 


“What do you mean?” Jack carefully pours two glasses, puts it back in the bible then on the shelf. “I just like to know it’s there…” He looks abashed. “...I haven’t touched it ever since you left.”


BRIAN


I see the pain flash across Bran’s face. I know this sounds mean, but at least he now knows how I felt. No, it’s not his fault, but I can’t help that feeling. “So the next person we need to speak to is Novotny. Find out how he knew what he knew.”


“They are both the same, him and JJ. Both so jealous: her of your Mom, and him of your Dad. He must have been delighted when she fell for his dubious charms. Could not believe it myself. Like I said, nasty little man. Cute kid though, thankfully more Debs than Matthew. Wonder how he turned...shit! He’s your half brother?!”


“Yeah.” Bran sighs. “As for how, not very nice.”


“Sorry to hear that. When did you meet him?” 


“Me, about a year or so ago, Brian’s known him for over 15 years, but didn’t know he was our half brother until my boyfriend connected the dots. But how do you know of him?”


“Boyfriend?” Jack’s eyes widen...okay here it comes! “How’d she take that?” 


“Not well.” Bran replies. 


“You happy?” He asks. When Bran nods, he clinks his glass. “So what about you? You got a fellah in your life?”


“I’m gay too!” I exclaim.


“I know, hence the fellah part of the question.” He sits back and snorts softly. “Knew from when you were about eight.” 


“And...you’re not…”


“Angry? Ashamed? Disappointed? Nope. You see, that’s the other ‘problem’ with you, Brian, you are unashamedly you. Always have been. No matter what, you were you, and she couldn’t get you to change. Brandon, she could, because quite frankly, she babied and favoured, but never showed her true colours to him. Now back to the half brother...you met him here once, doubt you remember. You would’ve been with us for a couple of months, but were still adjusting to your new surroundings. It was their one and only visit.”


“Why?” Bran sighs.


“Because, whilst I was taking the three of you for a trip to the park, they were screwing. She said it was a drunken mistake, but I never believed that. Nobody gets that drunk or that hot that quickly.”


We fall into silence, then jump when Bran’s phone beeps. “It seems we’ve had our hour. If we’re not out in ten seconds, she’s coming in.” 


“Who’s…” Jack begins, only to be interrupted by loud bangs on the door. “...do I want to open that?”


“It’s best you do. The last guy that pissed her off ended up with a battered car and in jail.” I smirk, but after he opens the door, Jewel slams him against the wall. 


“Ow! Who...”


“Quiet! You boys okay?!” She hollers as Jack tries to breathe whilst goggling up at her. “If you have harmed one…”


“Jewel! Put him down!” I order, but she doesn’t let go. “Jewel! We are fine, let him go!”


“Aunt Jewel! You need me?!” Gus is in the doorway with, of all things, a cricket bat in his hand!


“Where the hell did you get a bat?! Give me that!” I shout, snatching it off him. “Get back in the car!”


“Not without you two!” Jewel has lifted Jack off the floor. “Bran, get out here!” 


“Put him down! I’m not a cop, but I can still perform a citizen’s arrest, which would not be good for a person who has just finished community service.” Dad winces as Jack is dropped swiftly. “You alright? Nothing injured but your pride?” He asks as he helps him up. He nods whilst still looking warily at Jewel. “As for how I am here, I followed you. No, your Mom doesn’t know I am here, let’s keep it that way for now. So what did I miss?”


CARL


I have been caught up, and although I should be surprised, I’m not to find out that those two were in cahoots. I will be telling Debs the moment I get home. She’s gonna be pissed anyway, might as well give it to her in one dose. Everyone is now in the lounge, Gus and Jenny are cooing over the pictures of Brandon and Brian as children. It’s amazing how much Gus looks like his dad. When I came out of the session, I was skeptical about his intentions. Why after all this time would he do this, so I got a friend to do some digging. He really turned his life around, and just wanted to make amends. 


“Look, we’ve got to go. You need help putting these away?” Brandon gestures at the photo albums and a couple of video reels. 


“No, I’ll be fine, but if you could do one thing for me, I would appreciate it.” 


“Jewel, stop staring at him like that!” I order, then tap the back of her head. “You imp, you’re no longer mad, so stop scaring him!”


“I didn’t say I was scared!” Jack protests.


“But you didn’t say you weren’t.” Pearl counters with a grin; soon the room is rocking with laughter.


MATTHEW NOVOTNY’S HOTEL ROOM - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MATTHEW


I close the door behind Michael and sigh in relief; I was beginning to get a headache, he’s not lost that whine he had since he could talk. I lean against the door before heading to the lounge and pouring myself a scotch then stretch out on the sofa, closing my eyes for a few seconds.


“Dad! Hey wake up!” George’s voice finally reaches me. “You were out for a while.”


“Sorry son. You okay?” I sit up, but he says nothing. “George? Where were you?”


“Went for a run. To clear my head.” He mutters before his face crumples. “He didn't even look at me!” He wails whilst collapsing in a heap. “I’ve loved him all this time and he acted like he doesn’t remember me!”


“Son. It’s been years.” I try to reason once more. “Besides, doesn’t he…”


“Dad!” He snaps hauling himself to the other end of the sofa. “I don’t care how long it has been! I love him and I am going to get him to love me!!”


“George, you’ve told me about the Stud of Liberty Avenue and how he operates, what makes you any different to his previous conquests?”


“He was my first! I have had nothing better since! Can you stroke my hair? I am so sad!” I recoil inside but pat my lap, soon he starts to calm down. “So much better. But I need a plan, to get my man.”


“Yes you do.” I reply whilst wiping my hand discreetly on the cushion. I wince when two things happen; first his post-exercise stench seeps into my very soul then my stomach grumbles. “A man cannot plan on an empty stomach, whilst you go have a shower, why don’t I order in?”


“Ooh yes, can we order from Woody’s or Diamond Stores?!” 


“Sure. The pies were nice, let’s get them.”


“Great! Am going to have a bath instead! So maybe wait twenty minutes or so?” He bounds out of the room and my nostrils rejoice.


I lean my head back and give the last few weeks some thought. Debs is still a fine looking woman, I would give my eye teeth to take her off him again, and I know just the woman that can help me. I pour another scotch then reach for my phone. It rolls to voicemail. “Hey JJ, it’s me Matthew. Matthew Novotny. Can you give me a call when you get this message please? Look forward to speaking soon.”


BATHROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


GEORGE


I strip off as the bath sets, I was so furious during the dinner. The moment I saw how that guy was pawing at Brian, the more I was put off my meal. When Michael told me that he’s living with him, I could’ve screamed. This should be me. And it will be me. 


As the water surrounds me, I think about my next move; which is how the hell do I find out more about the pretender to my throne? 


 


Sazerac: https://www.liquor.com/recipes/sazerac/

Ribs and chicken with spicy citrus marinade:

 https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/grilled_spicy_citrus_ribs/

Sticky date pudding with banana praline:

 

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/sticky-date-pudding-banana-praline/hyoqc565

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx