- Text Size +

CHAPTER 43 - PLEASANTNESS IN THE PITTS AND CLOSURE IN CALIFORNIA


GRACE AND REVA’S HOME - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


GRACE


Reva puts her hands on her hips. I raise my eyebrows, and she drops them to her side. “Now, mother, you have to appreciate that this reprehensible behaviour cannot go unpunished…”


“And it won’t, darling, but let’s not go in there all guns blazing but firing blanks!” I assert, which at least seems to penetrate her temper, and although she nods slightly, I am still not moving from the lounge door. 


“How?” She grumbles. 


“Admittedly, I haven’t quite worked that out yet, and…”


“Can’t he be done for fraud or something like that?” She pauses in the middle of her rightful rant to pick up a bottle of chilled chardonnay. “Where’s this from, and were you going to open it now?”


“Pearl, who got it from Zach, and yes I was. It's a Bread & Butter Chardonnay from California…” I chuckle. “...oh, can you imagine Pearl's reaction when she hears about this?”


She smiles as she opens, then pours two generous glasses. “Mom, come on, sit down. I’m nice and…”


“Drink that first.” I order, and wait; the beatific smile across her face means that George is safe for now. “Jewel sent Brian and Justin the Cabernet Sauvignon, which I have to admit to being slightly jealous of.” I join her on the sofa, then take a healthy sip. “Forget slightly, I mean very, if this is this good, my God what is the red like?”


“That’s one of the benefits of being in the trade…” Reva states. “...it’s the people you know, like the owner.” She finishes her glass and pours another. “But I think we should eat something before we finish the rest of that!” 


“What have I told you about having breakfast and, oh, lunch during the day?”


“To do so?” She looks sheepish. 


“Yes, and how many times?”


“Very many, need water!”


KITCHEN - 5 MINUTES LATER


REVA


Okay, this is why I should listen to Mom. It took three attempts to get up, and she’s poured me another glass of sparkly. 


“Still can’t believe it, do you?” She asks.


“What, that Brian was persuaded by Pearl to help with her project on famous Black chefs and restaurateurs? No, not at all. Who does she have so far, do you know?”


“George Crumb, Edna Lewis, and Barbara E Smith. She's going to get Justin to do the artwork. Jewel has already approached the families, and Zach is going to help her with the others on her list.” 


“You know a word I like?” Mom gives a slow smile. “Let me tell you, it’s ‘invidious’, which is how Lindsay must be feeling over Zach and Lynette.” 


“Stop dragging it out, what’s happened?” I demand, holding the bottle hostage. 


“Zach and Lynette are in New York, at a rather naughtily named Finger Lakes...yes, I grinned like that too when she told me! And she’s not the only one! Gregory is still hanging about, and has been trying to patch things up with Lindsay, but of course she wants what Lynette has, as usual!”


“Let’s just have a nice pleasant evening and forget about those pisspots.” She snorts. “So what are we cooking?”


“Well, since I knew you would be upset; halibut ceviche and summer courgette risotto.” 


I’m astounded. “How long have you known about what George did?!” 


“Since I told them this morning. He’s just like his father, mendacious little pipsqueak. So go grab the other bottle and let’s try to figure out what the hell he’s doing and why.”


BRITIN - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


I sigh at the empty chair opposite me. After Brandon told him what happened, he’s been out since this morning, and he isn't answering my calls. I smile at Tonka as he scampers across the hallway with Beam in hot pursuit. Although they have the run of the ground floor and, of course, the barn, the stairs are a bit too much for them. Drew said that they will grow to the same size as Sapphire, so upstairs will soon be theirs too! 


I try him one more time. Once more it rolls to voicemail! I’m starting to get more than a little bit pissed off when the front door opens. Before I can storm to give him a piece of my mind, tempered - but only just - with understanding, I hear a squeak, then stare at the wheelbarrow Brian has pushed to a halt.


“Something smells nice. Am I late for it?” He asks quietly.


Yes, I’m still steaming, but my curiosity begins to get the better of me, but I push it down for now. “Where the hell have you been? Why didn’t you answer me? I’ve been trying you all day!”


“So has every guy that I have fucked. In the end, I had to switch it off.” 


“Okay, that covers the why, but not the where.” I retort, but my tone is starting to soften at the scent invading my nostrils.


“To get a new number then to see Jennifer. She told me about them and where to get the best ones. I knew you wouldn’t answer a number you don’t recognise. I wanted to call you first, so may I?”


I take it out. “Now you may.” When it rings, I notice that the number looks weird. “Why is it laid out like that? And it has 13 digits without the area code.”


“Because it spells out my name without the vowels.”  


BRIAN


I watch him work it out. “Dark Storm. How on earth did you get that?!”


“Virginity Skylar Telecoms is one of my clients and I called in a favour.”


“Wow, that’s incredible. Oh, by the way, no you haven’t.” I’m about to ask ‘what’ when he gestures at the kitchen. “But before we eat, what’s in there then?” 


“Like I said, I went to see Jennifer and she said you’ve always wanted them. So et voila, you can instruct...”


“Brian!” He gasps, before at my nod, he gently starts to unwrap my purchases. Soon the hallway is filled with the sweet scent of his citrus trees. “Are they what I think they are?”


“If you’re thinking blood orange, Meyer lemons and Persian limes, then yes they are.” 


“And this?” He reaches into one of them. “Brian! The trees were enough!”


“No they weren’t.” I assert, watching him holding the phone like it’s a biohazard. “I should’ve at least asked you how you were feeling. And…”


“Yes, you should,  and I was hurt when you didn’t. So what’s yours like?”


“What makes you think…” I pull him into my arms. “...that I got a phone for myself?”


“Want to know what’s for, let alone eat, dinner?” Justin challenges with a grin.


“The purple to your blue. So what?”


“Chilli crab rolls, sweet and sour caramel chicken, and, finally, date and pecan loaf with pomegranate molasses. Also Jewel sent over the Bread and Butter cab sav. Mom gave us a bottle of pinot noir, with a smile; did wonder why. And in Jewel’s opinion, the cab is better than Apothic.”


“Is it?” I lift his chin. Although his eyes are defiant, he is blushing slightly. “How many glasses?”


“Half a glass, and yes it is.” He replies, standing on his tiptoes. I lower my head, the kiss is filled with apologies and desire; but having heard what he just said and how he tastes, I am wavering between him and the food, but then my stomach solves the issue by rumbling loudly. “You finish off my glass and freshen up, after you’ve wheeled them out.” 


“How long have I got?” I nuzzle his neck.


“45 minutes…” Again the look is challenging “...yes, I want a chance to play with my new trinket.”


“Fine. Go play!” I laugh, and heft the trees outside before heading back to the kitchen to grab his glass. 


AN HOUR LATER


Oh, I so needed that shower! I’ve heard people say that you should ‘wash away the day’, and now I understand what they mean. Quickly, I grab another glass from the lounge then head to the kitchen. I frown at Justin, he’s so still and pale, I’m too scared to touch him.


“Justin? You okay?” I call out. It takes him a while to turn to me. “Are you okay?” I repeat, slowly approaching and taking his old phone out of his hand. I can hear someone shouting down the other end, so put it on speaker. “Hello, this is Brian, who’s bellowing?”


“It’s Craig. Where’s Justin?!”


“Right next to me, what’s happened?”


“I’m not sure, but when we got here, we found out that the hearing had been cancelled last minute. Mel’s just come back and told us. I’m not sorry at all. I’m just glad it is over for Justin, although Mel is going to do everything in her power to show the world what he was really like, not let it be brushed under the carpet, just because of what is perceived as a...”


“Craig, what are you talking about?”


“Ethan’s dead.” Justin whispers, I hang up. “He decided to take up boxing again, he was always proud of the fact that nobody ever put a mark on him. But this guy did, just the one, and his lights went out forever.”





Grace and Reva’s dinner

Halibut ceviche:

https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/halibut-ceviche-mango-avocado/

Summer courgette risotto (dairy free);

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/summer-courgette-risotto


Brian and Justin’s dinner

Chilli crab rolls:

 https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/c/chilli-crab-rolls.html

Sweet and sour caramel chicken:

 https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/sweet-and-sour-caramel-chicken/

Date and pecan loaf with pomegranate molasses:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/baking-and-desserts/date-and-pecan-loaf-with-pomegranate-molasses/


Bread and Butter Wines: https://www.breadandbutterwines.com/


Pearl’s Bio subjects

George Crumb: 

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/george-crum-19370.php

Edna Lewis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edna_Lewis

Barbara E Smith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Smith


Lynette and Zach’s break

Finger Lakes, New York: 

https://www.decanter.com/wine-travel/north-america/decanter-travel-guide-finger-lakes-new-york-state-264396/


Smartphone

https://www.bellperre.com/uniq/

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.