- Text Size +

CHAPTER 52 - THE GODFATHER GIVES BRANDO A RUN FOR HIS MONEY


LEDA


I laugh at the text I’ve just received then show it to everyone, I reply and wait for the fun to begin.


LINDSAY


I bridle with jealousy as Mel tries to get inside Jewel’s pants; but back to the matter in hand, showing them who I know! I smile at Renwick which he returns, but he also discreetly removes my hand from his thigh. Placing it on the table, patting for emphasis. Did Lynette smirk?! Oh, she better not have done, I can get Zach like that; I’ve just not been trying! Ah, she’s not looking at me, she’s looking at the bar; she and Zach are and looking most pleased, well that display of debauchery needs a dash of cold water!


“May I take your drinks order?” The waiter asks.


“Oh, will you order for me, please, Renwick?” I ask. “Lynnie and I need to powder our noses.” She takes her time standing, then, when I wave her ahead, she starts going to the bar. “Lynnie, I need to talk to you!” I hiss.


“I need to speak to Justin; see you in there.” She calls back. Seething, I stamp off.


TEN MINUTES LATER


LYNETTE


Brian’s right: she will be a mass of piss and vinegar by the time I get there. I compose myself as I go to join her; she should be inside now. Three times I saw her peeking around the corner to check what I was doing. 


Whatever invective she was about to spout, my phone being to my ear stops it but not her foot tapping. “Hi, this is Lynette Peterson, may I be put through to Marius Duke, please?” 


Foot tapping replaced with gaping toad expression!


“Oh, hello, Marius, how are you? Great, just great. My apologies for my late calling; it’s about the Justin Taylor Exhibition, can we firm up the details over dinner week after next? Yes, he’s looking forward to it. It will be myself, Justin, Brian Kinney and their legal representation, most likely Melanie Marcus or her partner, Leda Miller. Sorry, you’ll be where that week? Texas. We should be able to do that. If you could send me your hotel information tomorrow, we’ll get ours in place. Excellent.” I take my time putting away my phone and taking out my lipstick. Once I reapply, I smile apologetically. “Zach was right about this shade, it’s perfect for me. As for Renwick; he's a fine looking chap.” I look at my watch. “Okay, we’d better get back lest they think we’ve escaped out of the window or gotten into a catfight.”


“You delayed the conversation! Now, how can I put this tactfully? I've noticed that you and Mel seem to be forming a closer attachment. I find this concerning.”


“Well we don’t. It stands to reason that we’re getting closer. If we have anything to do with it, I’m going to be her mother-in-law.”


“Mother-in-law?!” Her eyes go flinty. “Mel and I are still married. In the event of us making our split permanent, it will take some time to divide our assets.”


“You and Mel are no more still married than Gregory and I; or don’t you remember you and Michael coming to her cottage to announce your intentions to divorce her?” I return her frosty look. “Was there anything else?”


She pulls me to the alcove as another patron comes in. “Yes. What was that call about? When did you become the patron of all things art?! The one person that needs to be at this meeting is me, with my extensive knowledge.”


“Then come, why don’t you?” She looks surprised. “You raise a good point, your knowledge could be of some use. Shall I add you to the roster?”


“Yes, please do.” She rasps. 


“Great. Once the dates and times are confirmed, I shall send you the details for booking for the flights and hotel. If we go premium or business class and stay in a  five star locale, it should make some inroads in the amount you owe me.”


“You're seriously insisting I return what you gave?” She gasps.


“Yes, I’m dead serious about getting every penny you lied to get.” I start to leave but she needs to know one more thing. “And they knew you lied, especially Daddy, about everything, so he provided a contingency. At least he had the confidence in and love for her that you didn’t.” 


LINDSAY


“Excuse me, ladies.” A waitress enters. “I’ve been sent to check if you’re coming back as they’d like to order.”


“I’ll come with you.” Lynnette declares, leaving me perplexed and pissed off.


I give what she’s said some thought then brush it aside for its pure absurdity. Although she’s absolutely right about the love, and gallingly, the pride and respect they had for Mel.  Mother admired her maternal nature and Daddy, her work ethic, but what possible contingency could they have instigated? For years, I whispered in Mother’s ear about how I, as the one with the family to continue the Peterson line, should inherit the bulk of the estate. She saw the merits of my argument, of course! 


Grimacing, I put back my lipstick. I have to admit that the lipstick is perfect for her. However, just like everything else in her life, since I want it, I will get it.


The grumble of my stomach hastens my return to the table. As I approach, my annoyance is twofold: one, we’ve been joined by everyone else, and two, Leda is sitting next to Renwick, who is talking to Mel. 


“We hail your benevolence!” Brian raises his glass; he's followed by everyone else. “Thank you for agreeing to sponsor our trip to Texas. I know how wrapped up you can get in the art scene, so I’m giving you fair warning, he's to do only one meeting a day, and nothing in the evening.” 


I want to throw the water, vase and all, in Lynnette’s plain face! She’s put me in this position, I can’t wait to take this out on Mel in the courts. Renwick must know some shit-hot attorney that can punish her as I see fit.


“Do I have your word, Lindsay?” Brian demands.


“Of course you do, Brian.” I return, taking the nearest seat, which is in a draught and close to the swing door. However, as I sit down, the waitress approaches


“Excuse me, Ma’am, I will have to move you, that’s the dumb waiter seat.” She advises. “There's a seat spare.” Stone faced I take it, I had avoided this one because it is opposite a canoodling Mel and Jewel. “Thank you, Ma’am.”


“We’ve got witnesses to your promise, three of them attorneys.” Justin drawls. “I will be beyond pissed if you in any way get in the way of my cowboy and barn fantasy.” 


“Or mine.” Jewel giggles whilst Mel blushes.


“I’ve got a great idea, why not have the rest of the family, friends, kids and animals to the ranch whilst you guys are in Texas?” Drew looks around the table. “It will give me a chance to get to know them better. Renwick, you up for that?”


“Well, that’s very kind of you. I think that would be great.”


“Oh, the more the merrier!” Emmett enthuses.


“You’ve bonded quickly with my friends, Renwick, this bodes well.” I raise my glass and take a sip, it takes everything not to spit it back out. Coughing slightly, I dab my mouth. “Well that’s an interesting concoction, what is it?” . 


“Leda said it's your favourite, though I’ve never seen it come in that glass, have you?” Renwick peers at it. “Mind you they do tend to make it differently, depending on the barman. You know, you’re the first person I've met who likes a Biscotti Martini, far too sweet. So shall we toast? To making new friends, Justin’s show, and to Mel’s new venture.” 


I’m gagging on the cocktail from the taste and his toast. I glare at Leda. She knows I hate hazelnut liqueur. I follow it quickly with water, drinking until the taste fades.


“Renwick, what do you mean about Mel’s new venture?” Lynette asks, I shoot her a censorious look. “And also can you recommend a good divorce lawyer?” I gape at her, but he’s nonplussed. “I know it's a huge liberty to talk shop now, but mine is dragging his feet.”


“Indeed, I’ll text you some names. I take it Zach is the reason for the speed?” I grip the glass at everyone’s indulgent smiles. “As for Mel, he spoke so highly of her and told me to snap her up, but, alas, Canada got to her first.”


“Who did?” Zach frowns.


“Supreme Justice Aragon.” He chuckles at our incredulous expressions. “He’s also the one I’m doing a State case favour for, and I'm looking for a partner firm  with local knowledge, so will dinner persuade you to assist Mel, Leda?”


“Yes!” Mel squeals before flinging her arms around his neck. “Oh, I'm so sorry! It's a huge honour to be asked!”


“The honour is all mine!” He squeezes Leda’s hand, then regards Lynette a little warily. “Before I send you the names, those who I will recommend only represent the injured party.”


“That is me for sure; he had an affair with a family member.”


“How repulsive!” He exclaims. “I too experienced the sting of betrayal. I know just the person!” 


“Who?” 


“Me. I’ll do it!”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx