- Text Size +

CHAPTER 63 - BEING SHOWN ONE UGLY TRUTH EXPOSES ANOTHER


BACK GARDEN OF BRITIN - SIX DAYS LATER


DAPHNE


“Leave it alone!” I laugh as Brian tries to move the flowers.


“I have rights!”


“That was to pick the suits, which you've done!” Carl beams. “Behave or I’ll get Jewel after you.”


“Behaving.” He busses Carl’s cheek. “At last!” He sprints back to the house. When he returns he has a silver box and looks excited. “Justin! Please come here for a second!”


“Can it wait?!” He shouts back. “I’m in the middle of a very delicate manoeuvre!”


“Blue, please!”


“This had better be frigging good. If anything happens to them, you can’t complain that it’s not perfect!” Justin stomps over, his histrionics could've been avoided if he hadn’t insisted on cooking their wedding dinner. He peers into the now open box, his expression goes from peevish to incredulous. “Wh…what, he’s serious?!” He hiccups, whilst Craig and Jennifer cautiously approach. I mouth ‘stand down’ at Mark, who, although puzzled, does so.


“As serious as I am about you.” Brian smiles, then turns the box towards Craig, 


“Holy mother of…darling, look!!” He gasps, Jennifer bursts out crying. 


“Come on, Sonny Boy!” Brian hollers and a blushing Gus approaches with the rest of them. I am so glad that he, Peter and John are firm friends and Clare insisted that Jack move in. “So that everyone can hear.”


“Justin, you’re going to be his husband. Will you be my Pops too, as in adopt me?”


“Yes, absolutely!” He flings his arms around them both. “The Kinney men have made me so happy!”


“But only I…”


“BRIAN!” “KIDDO!” Carl and Debs shout, he smirks whilst ducking the swats from his soon to be husband and son. “So when is this going to happen?” Carl shakes his head at his unrepentant expression.


“Can it be after my show but before our honeymoon, please?” Justin squeezes Brian’s hand.


“What honeymoon?” Brian frowns.


“Well…”


“Before you continue that…” Carl interrupts as Brandon approaches with a wooden box and a stool. “…Debs and I were entrusted with this task should she not be around on the happiest day of your life. We know you’d want Brandon to be part of it.” 


Brandon hands Brian a hanky and an envelope. “Mom said you’re going to need it.” 


He stares for a few seconds, the tug from Justin bringing him around. “It’s from Kiki.” He trembles as he opens it. “Hey, my boy, stop crying. Take a few deep breaths, remember stomach not chest is best. Now count to ten slowly, breathing in and out loud with each number, I’ll wait…” There’s not a dry eye as he does so. “…better? Good. These are my final bequests for you, and whosoever it is you're marrying, because despite all you said I knew you would get married and locking it down for life, these are the best bitters in the world from Fee Brothers, got you one of each. I know you always wondered why my drinks tasted that tiny shade better than yours, these are why. Now go get a glass each and pour two fingers…” Mark quickly does so, I signal Jewel and Mel, we start pouring for everyone else. “…add the whisky aged bitters to the ice, swirl then let it sit for a minute or so. Now taste it.”


“What the actual hell!” Justin gasps whilst Brian savours with his eyes closed. “I didn’t think Beam could get better, but this is next level! Does she say anything else?”


“Yeah, she’s left me money for a honeymoon, so where were we going?”


“Oh, I hadn't thought that far, I just wanted…” Suddenly he sniffs. “...oh no!” He rushes to the cook tent, we quickly follow. “Saved!” He gasps, checking out a massive bird in the smoker. “Can someone pass me a skewer, please?” He calls over his shoulder, he turns at our stunned silence. “They’re…”


“This is why I love you.” Brian wobbles. “Come here.” 


“Okay, okay, enough kissing, explain!” Craig laughs whilst the rest of us check out the array of food. “Seriously, save some for the wedding!”


“I’ve never had Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner.” Brian takes a canape. “Mmm, what’s this? I could eat that by the bucketload!”


“Greek salad tartlets.” Justin beams proudly. “That’s smoked goose, am also making olive oil and garlic mashed potatoes, then there’s the roasted carrots, the gravy from the drippings. The other canape is hoisin jackfruit lettuce cups, starter of roasted potato and smoked salmon salad. For desserts there’s three, pomegranate and orange parfaits - they need to be made fresh though, butterscotch and honeycomb bundt and mulled wine jellies. Oh, Jack, sorry I didn’t…”


“And you shouldn't have.” He declares. “This is your wedding, now what can we help you with?” 


“It’s okay, this is my gift to…”


“And your second gift will be a sex free wedding night!” Emmett declares. 


“Oh hell the fuck no!” Brian exclaims. “Gus, push back the vicar, everyone into ‘scrubs’ and let’s get this done!”


“You heard him, move people!” Lynette orders.


“Hey, Mom, where’s Uncle Renwick?” Pearl calls out, wincing as Emmett swats her hand then Ben fireman lifts her from the goose. “For gosh darn sake, I am chief taster of the family!” 


“Not of this!” Brian stands in front of it. “So where is he? Brandon, guard that with your life!”


“I was ensuring Michael took the deal.” Renwick replies, striding towards and stunning us into silence.


“What deal and I bet he didn’t do it without bringing up what Momma Jewel did to save Pearl?!” Jenny growls. 


“You know him so well, indeed he didn’t.” He knocks back the proffered by Debs glass. “And discovered that he is truly on his own when Lindsay denied all knowledge!”


“Any idea what she’s…” Zach frowns. “…what’s this?” He looks at the large envelope. 


“Let me tell you what happened in court and then I’ll tell you about that.” He gestures to the tables, we quickly sit. “I have to say Michael is very lucky that you are so well thought of, Carl. Once he heard who his stepfather is, the judge agreed to the deal I wanted to offer…”


“Me? What judge?”


“Archimedes Hollisell.” 


“Archie - he’s a judge now?!” He chuckles for a few minutes. “I bet Michael didn't recognise him?!”


“Nope!” Renwick giggles. “Okay, so what happened was…”


Start of flashback

ALLEGHANY COURTROOM 1


RENWICK


“We should’ve kicked him out before he got back from jail.” I hear Matthew grumble as Michael ignores his court attorney, Nathan Gage. “Still can’t understand why he thinks that Mel should let his behaviour slide and ‘help a friend out given our history’.”


“Hindsight is a great leveller.” Lindsay whispers. “He has his bail money plus a residence in us.”


My gaze flits between them and Michael. When he’s not glowering round the room, he’s looking revolted at them. I decide to take a chance. 


“Congratulations.” They look startled, I nod at their hands. They blush, but don’t let go. “There’s a deal for him, he either swallows his pride or loses his freedom.”


“You really think he will go to prison?” Matthew sighs.


“I’m prosecuting.” I hold his gaze. “Also the judge is very fond of his stepfather…” 


“Let me have another word.” She sighs, I wait a few seconds before following. She taps his shoulder, he curls his lip. “Michael, how are..”


“Are you fucking serious?! I am being charged with aiding and abetting! Can you try Mel again, she…” 


“Michael, there is a deal on the table, correct?” Matthew interjects. 


“Yes.” His sulking tone is so ridiculous on a man his age.


“You will avoid prison if you accept it. Given what you did…”


“But I didn’t do anything!”


“To stop Ethan, no you didn’t.” Nathan clips out. “You had an opportunity to call the police. Accept the deal, go on an ankle tag for a year or two, and everyone gets on with their lives.”


“Michael, surely you can see the folly of this?” Lindsay reasons. “Just agree to…”


“I’ll have nothing at the end of it! They’ve butchered my masterpiece…”


“You will have your freedom!” Nathan puts the papers back in front of him. “As for your masterpiece, you plagiarised the words, traced then slightly tweaked the artwork.” He folds his arms tighter. “And you should be grateful that I am court appointed, anyone else would cost you a fortune.” 


His gaze, at a couple of guys laughing, is so hateful that they stop, then move out of his eyeline. 


“You would rather go to trial to make him relive that wouldn't you?!” I'm not the only one surprised by Lindsay’s harsh tone. “Why do you want him to suffer reliving the trauma?!”


“I’m suffering too!” He hisses. “And you can’t talk, you’ve done exactly the same…” She looks shellshocked. “...they’re just not picking on you like they are me!”


“All rise!” The bailiff declares. “Presiding Judge Archimedes Hollisell to hear the proceedings. Your honour, this is the pre-trial hearing of State of California vs Michael Novotny in the case of aiding and abetting the attempted murder of Justin Cole Taylor by the late Ethan Gold.”


“Why is this in my court, DA Paulson?” 


“As the victim is in…”


“Why isn’t the defendant accepting the deal? His co-defendant, Philip Anston did, so at least one of them has common sense. Shame they didn’t show compassion and decency towards the victim.” Everyone looks at Michael. “Answer the question.”


“Your Honour, because it’s the length of time. And I don’t want to…”


“Not only are you completely ignorant of the law and most other matters; you’re unaware of my thoughts on the length of your incarceration; this…” He looks through the papers. “…is two years of community service.”


“Exactly! Two years! Why can’t I get what Jewel Johnson got?”


“What does she have to do with this?” Archie scowls.


“She only got months for battering his car, which by the way, her daughter did!”


“Swear him in.” We wait for him to get his pugnacious ass comfortable. “Explain that statement.” For fifteen minutes he holds the court in his thrall, looking pleased when Archie thoughtfully leans back. “An hour’s recess to fact check that statement. Unless you have someone to corroborate it?”


“Yes, Lindsay Peterson can. That lady there, Your Honour.”


“Mr Novotny is mistaken …” She declares, my heart skips a beat. “…I can only corroborate insofar as that is what he told me he overheard.” 


Archie presses his lips tight. “Is that true? You told her, you have no evidence to support…”


“I could’ve sworn you were there Lindsay. Anyway, it is true! Her arrest record will prove it.”


“The defendant will step down. DA Renwick and Mr Gage, approach.” I am fairly relaxed, Nathan not so much. “Do either of you have any objections to the truth of the matter being investigated?”


“Not I. Mr Gage?” 


“May I speak to my client first to see where…”


“No, either accept the investigation or the statement is retracted.” We turn at the huffing; he mouths ‘am telling the truth’ so Nathan nods. “Enunciate.”


“My client and I accept the investigation, Your Honour.”


FORTY MINUTES LATER


“Defendant to retake the stand.” Archie growls, I roll my neck. “Mr Novotny, three times during your testimony you stated the Jewel Johnson you referred to is the internationally renowned wine sommelier…” 


“It is Your Honour.” He crows.


“So explain why this internationally renowned woman does not have a criminal charge laid against her anywhere in the United States?” He gapes. “I have been reviewing your files and your antics lead me to believe that you have a vendetta against a lot of people, Ms Johnson being one of them. You even tried to get her reported for having dangerous animals!”


“I don’t, Your Honour! It is true, you need to get her in and make her testify! And they are dangerous!”


“No I don't, and no they're not. The animal is only as dangerous as it is trained to be! The only person that needs to do anything is you! You need to take the next minute to decide if you want to retract the statement and take the deal on the table or I will remove it for you. Then you will go to trial. What’s it to be?”


“Where’d Lindsay and my…”


“THE DEFENDANT WILL CHOSE NOW!” Archie booms, making him almost fall off the chair in shock. 


“I’ll retract and accept the deal, Your Honour!” He gabbles red faced. 


Archie nods, then peruses the papers. “The term of service is extended to three years and the case of the State of California vs Michael Charles Novotny is settled. Court is dismissed!”

End of flashback


PEARL


“So what is the term of service? And why don’t you have a criminal record, Mom, you were arrested?!”


“I do have one, under my real name of Mbaya Kito Akindawake. And the records were sealed, they’ll be expunged as long as I keep my nose clean for the next two years.”


“Mbaya Kito Akindawake? Where’d Jewel Johnson come from?” Justin frowns.


“Mbaya Kito is African for ugly jewel.” Dad scowls. “Her stepfather named her. So when I found that out I made sure to always call her Jewel and Johnson is her paternal grandfather’s surname.” I throw my arms around my Dad and Granddad in relief that this chapter is closed. “So where is he now? Are those two really a couple?” 


“Lindsay and Matthew? Yes, they are. As for him, he's in jail.”


“Oh the poor lamb, whatever for?” Jenny grins. “And why’d she lie?”


“Your sympathy for his plight is noted.” Momma Mel sniggers. “And that’s a good question? She had an open goal, why not shoot her…Zach are you okay?!” I look up at Granddad, he is white faced as he reads. “Give that to me!” He holds it to his chest. “Renwick, what is that?”


“The reason he is in jail and the trout is moving to California.” Grandma Lynnie fumes. “That absolute shitshow! Did she say why now and what led to the…”


“For fuck sake!” Uncle Brian sighs, snatching the papers. “I want to get married today, and…” He too goes pale. “…you were being kind, Lynnie, that pissing poontang!”


“Poontang?” Jenny looks at me, I shrug.


“Sonny Boy and Jenny, sit down please, Pearl pour two fingers each and nobody says a word until I’ve finished.” 


“Storm, wait…” Justin turns his face to him. “…shall we get married on Saturday?”


“Please. Daph you will be needed tonight. The cottage , your former home, was, is, yours. Nancy and Ronald put it in your names.”


MEL


For a few seconds, I am too shocked to speak. “Poontang…is another word for that word. “I want her arrested.”


“I was tempted when she told me. However, she hasn't committed a crime, just implied ownership.” Renwick takes the papers away from Brian, who watches Justin comfort Gus, whilst my beautiful Jewel hugs Jenny. “And it seems that the comparison from Michael was the straw that broke her back. She was there when he overheard what Jewel did. And as she no longer has residency, neither does he, so he’s in jail for a couple of nights until he can arrange somewhere else, which must be court approved.”


“Why California?” I feel sickened at her level of greed.


“Because that’s where Matthew lives…” He folds back the papers. “…and she wants this to happen.”


“She is not in a fucking position to demand anything!” Debs explodes.


“She’s not asking for forgiveness…” I choke out. “…she’s giving up her rights.”





Fee Brothers


Wedding dinner

https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoked-goose-recipe-335509

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015335-olive-oil-mashed-potatoes#

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/pomegranate-and-orange-breakfast-parfaits.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/hoisin-jackfruit-lettuce-cups.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/greek-salad-tartlets.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/mulled-wine-jellies.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/butterscotch-and-honeycomb-bundt.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/jamies-roasted-potato-and-smoked-salmon-salad.html

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spiced-sweet-potato-chocolate-fudge-cake.html



Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks