- Text Size +

CHAPTER 7 - THE REUNIFICATION IN GERMANY AND THERAPY

 

BRANDON

 

“So I take it that Brian knows?” I ask Mom and Dad and they look puzzled. “How you two go back together again?”

 

“Oh!” Ben chuckles. “Well that was the greatest reunification since and in Germany, bittersweet in a way.”

 

“Why?” I hand Mom a tissue as she starts to tear up. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Your Uncle Vic died soon afterwards. Oh, he would’ve loved to have met you. It was because of him that Carl and I got back together.” She blows her nose. “When he found out he was sick, he said that he wanted to go knowing that I was happy with the man that made me the happiest, so he set about tracking Carl down. It took a good few years; said he had nothing better to do.” She tears up again and Brian rubs her back. “Carry on, Carl.”

 

“Okay. So after we let you boys go, we were devastated, but it was the best course of action…” He frowns. “...did you get the letters?”

 

“What letters? “ We ask at the same time.

 

“We gave the adoption agency letters for you that explain.” Dad now gets teary eyed. “You never got them?”

 

“Nope.” I reply, and Brian shakes his head sadly. “What did they say?”

 

“As I said, we explained why we did it, where we were from and our names.”

 

“Maybe if they had given it to us I would’ve put two and two together?” Brian sighs.

 

“Maybe, but it’s together now.” Ben nudges him gently.

 

“So how’d he find you? Uncle Vic, I mean.”

 

“The strain of it all got too much. We were young and it just crippled us. We split up; I applied for the army and got in immediately. Took the first posting I could, to get away from the pain of losing the three of you.”

 

“And where was that?”

 

“Germany. I hadn’t seen her for almost 30 years, but the moment I did, everything came flooding back and that was it. I got transferred back to the US and have been with her ever since. I helped her to raise Michael. Her having another son didn’t bother me. It’s how he’s turned out, because of his selfishness, that’s what bothers me!”

 

“Speaking of Michael, what are we going to do about this?” Lindsay interrupts. “We have to discuss this as a family surely?”

 

“Yes. Yes we do. Look, Debs, call him. Call everyone and we will meet for dinner Friday night. Close the diner so that we can have a proper chat. Agreed?” Dad asks, and Mom just nods. “Right, enough of this, let’s eat. We have some serious celebrating to do!”

 

EMMETT’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

EMMETT

 

I put the phone down crossly and go to pick it up again but change my mind. No, I will have plenty to say to Michael Charles Novotny when I see him later. An appalling way to behave; then have the nerve to try and blame Ben for him being pissy about it.

 

“What’s with the face?” Jewel ambles in with a smile.

 

“Oh, other family troubles.” I sigh, then smile. “Actually, what are you and Pearl doing tomorrow evening? Are you available for dinner? Let’s get the meet and greet over and done with.”

 

“Yeah, we can be there. How much are we telling?” Jewel loops her arms over my neck, our faces level, then nuzzles my nose, instantly taking me back to our childhood, when this is one of the things that our families found so ugly about us.

 

“As much as you wish.” I nuzzle her back and hold out my arm to a sighing-with-happiness Pearl, who joins us in our embrace.

 

“Then I shall tell all. I can’t wait to see their faces when I tell them I knocked up an Amazonian when I was 15!”

 

BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER

 

JUSTIN’S COTTAGE

 

BRIAN

 

Between Mark and I, we managed to bust the front door down when we heard the screaming. We were doing our usual walk around when it started. Mark is running back to the house to call Jennifer. I had no idea Justin was back. I look around the lounge, but the screams are coming from the bedroom.

 

“No! Stop! Please no!” Justin screams, and I run inside. He is in the throes of a nightmare, judging by the thrashing and attempts to defend himself.

 

“JUSTIN! JUSTIN! WAKE UP!” I bellow, not sure that this is going to help.

 

“Help! Help me, please!” Justin screams as I dash to his side. Taking a chance,  I grab a flailing arm and pin it to the bed, but his other hand catches me such a hard thwack across my face that has my eyes watering, but I manage to grab it and hold it down. “Get the fuck off me, you bastard!” He snarls.

 

“It’s Brian! Wake up!” Mindful of his wrists, I move my grip to his biceps and his eyes fly open. “That’s it! Look at me! See Brian! See Dark Storm!” I don't know why I said that or where it came from, but immediately he goes still and his eyes begin to focus.

 

“Brian!!” Mark yells.

 

“Bedroom!” I shout back as quietly as I can.

 

“What are you doing?!” He demands, then quickly shoves me off the bed. “Never ever attempt to wake someone up above when they are having a nightmare, they will…” He looks at my face. “...yeah, lash out.”

 

“Did you manage to get hold of Jennifer?” I rub my cheek and feel it beginning to swell. “I will put ice on it in a second. Jennifer?”

 

“Left a message. I think…”

 

“What are you two doing in my room?” Justin sits up rubbing his eyes. He frowns and looks around. “Yep, definitely my room. You promised you wouldn't enter uninvited. You promised.”

 

Mark and I look at him and then each other. “Justin? Do you know what happened just now?”

 

“You came into my room uninvited…” He shivers slightly. “...did you leave the front door open? If so, could you close it and be on the other side of…”

 

“Justin, you had a nightmare and was screaming the place down, begging for help.” I tell him.

 

“I did not and was not!” He denies fiercely. “Now leave!”

 

I am stopped in my rebuttal and refusal by Mark’s phone ringing. “Jennifer…”

 

“You called my Mother?!” He exclaims. “What on earth…”

 

“Be quiet, Justin, I am trying to listen!” Mark orders. Although he glares and folds his arms, he does remain quiet. “Okay, yeah he did. Right, when can we expect her? An hour? Alright. Thanks, Jennifer.” He puts his phone in his pocket and there is a few beats of silence. “She's sending Jewel. She will be an hour. You need to shower, Justin.”

 

BRIAN'S MOVIE ROOM - NINETY MINUTES LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

“This!” I splutter, gesturing angrily at the screen and pacing. “This is a heinous invasion of my privacy! How could you do that to me?!” I scream at Jewel, stopping in front of her.

 

“What was the first thing you did when they told you?!” She shouts back with tears in her eyes and my heart starts to pound. “You denied it, Justin! And you’ve been like this on and off for months! When you wake up, it's as if nothing has happened.” She finishes quietly. “We had to do something, we needed proof.”

 

I stare at the floor and feel the tears clogging my throat. “It's too painful.” I whisper. “The wounds have healed, but the...the emotional and mental pain is too much, I can't think about it. It takes me right back there, and it's like I’m…”

 

“Being attacked all over again.” Brian interjects gently and I nod. “You have a mean right hook.” He laughs and rubs his cheek.

 

“So what are you going to do, Justin?” Mark asks. “I mean, you’ve done the hardest part, admitted you are suffering still. Maybe…”

 

“Don't say therapy.” Jewel sighs. “We had to have him taken against his will and watched by a gorgeous tyrant to get him to do his physical exercises.”

 

“Jewel!” I go puce with embarrassment.

 

“Whoops, sorry. But it is what you said...twice, in one day.”

 

“Oh, that's nothing, Brian calls him a nugget of nubility.” Mark declares.

 

Neither Brian nor I look at each other and the quiet stretches on.

 

“Now that's out there.” Jewel smirks. “Back to the matter in hand. What are you going to do?” She gently pushes me to sit down. “You can't keep getting blindsided by a nightmare every time. You will run yourself into the ground.”

 

“Come to an appointment with me.” Brian suggests, and whilst that stuns me he just shrugs. “Not many people know. Obviously. I’ve been going for about a year now.”

 

“For what?” I gasp out, then look mortified. “Sorry! I shouldn't have intruded!”

 

“It's okay. Child abuse at the hands and sometimes feet of my former foster dad.”

 

“Christ.” Jewel breathes. “Sorry to hear that.”

 

“Apology not needed, but it's nice to have it...them.” He smiles at us and I relax a bit more. “So will you come? Just for one. You just have to try it. It's got to be better than that!” He points at the frozen image on screen still.

 

I finally look at it properly and see what they saw, me terrified; fighting for my life and my sanity. “Okay, I will go.”

 

“And go there correct. Don't pitch up and say nothing!” Jewel orders firmly.

 

“I will, I promise.” I tear my eyes off the screen then take the remote and switch it off. “Right, first things first. What is the name of your doctor, Brian? I’d like to do some research.”

 

“Chanders. Dr Daphne Chanders.” He replies. “She is the best in the business.”

 

“I shall tell her you said that.” Mark remarks dryly.

 

“Tell her?” I look across at Jewel who looks equally puzzled.

 

“She's my wife.” Mark beams proudly then it falters. “I used to hear Brian in his sleep and was so worried that I talked to her about it. She got herself invited to dinner and diagnosed childhood traumatic stress in seconds.

 

“I almost fired you for that.” Brian tells him.

 

“I know. But if I may make one more suggestion?” He clears his throat. “Maybe Justin should move to the West Wing. It was only by chance that we heard you.”

 

I gulp. Live in the same house as Brian?! I couldn't, could I?!

 

MARKO'S BAR, OFF LIBERTY AVENUE - LATE EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

I hang up feeling much better, much freer. I was pissed when I found out about Hunter being Ben's son, and even more pissed that it wasn't Ben that gave me the warts. I would've demanded a hell of apology for that, I wouldn't have dumped him, as I loved that house. I think I might have caught it during the brief gap between me and Graham and my current hottie. Oh, he is gorgeous, talented, and younger than me, so I can still pull the twinks. He is also very demanding of my time, but that is more than Ben was! And the sex...getting to top is awesome! Again, something Ben refused to let me do.

 

I look around the bar and sigh. I can't wait for Woody's to open up again. Smirking, I finish off my drink and head to Babylon, whistling. Yeah, Brian and Brandon, well not so much him, being twins and my brothers is still shocking to me. I had always known about her having two older boys, but for it to be them!

 

I look at the very long queue outside and decide to use my familial connections and head to the doors, ignoring the grumbles.

 

“Where's Kinney?” Fred, the regular doorman, demands as he stops me from entering.

 

“No idea. Now excuse me, I have to dance!” I frown at him when he continues to impede my progress. “What were you doing?! I am Brian's best friend and…little brother. I think he will be most…”

 

“Pissed that you are spreading personal information about him without his permission.” Brandon drawls as he comes up behind me. “Yes, I think he will be.”

 

I turn to face him, my dislike of him intensifying. “I have always gotten in with Brian, why should that change in light of these developments, brother dear?” I enjoy the sounds of shocked murmuring.

 

He doesn't bat an eyelid. “Brian is not here to get in with, and you sure as hell aren't coming in with us...will you hurry up?!” He calls over his shoulder, my jaw drops as Ben strides down the street. “Have a message from Brian…” He looks at Fred. “...Michael doesn't get in for free, and he also has to queue like the rest if he doesn't have one of his big brothers with him.” Fred nods and then points to the back of the line. “See you in there, Warty Boy!” Brandon calls out over his shoulder as he saunters in.

 

“How dare you call me that?!” I ball my fists in fury and humiliation.

 

“How dare you catch them in the first place?!” Ben sneers before following him in.

 

“Uh, you might as well go home. Nobody is going to go near you until that clears up!” Fred declares.

 

Fuming, I turn on my heel and stride back to Mako’s, hoping that I can get there before the gossip does! Ten minutes later, I am hailing a cab to go back to Ma’s. I can walk fast, but texting is quicker!

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kidn and constructive. Thanks.