- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - ANOTHER FOR JUSTIN AND HELLO SAPPHIRE


JUSTIN’S COTTAGE - EARLY FRIDAY MORNING, A WEEK LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

MARK

 

He looks exhausted but finally he is moving to the main house. I watch him check that there's nothing left behind then silently close the bedroom door. He gives a small smile as Daph comes in. They met on Wednesday after his second nightmare this week. Brian was away, and it was just us when we heard the screams.

 

“Ready?” She questions, and clutching onto his pillow tightly, he follows her out.

 

JUSTIN'S WING OF BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

DAPHNE

 

“Justin. I know we haven't started our sessions properly, but I need to ask you something; no, I need to tell you that I think I know something.”

 

“What's that?” He replies, straightening the throw just so.

 

“Ethan.” He tenses up but I have to continue. “I think that Ethan made you, didn't he?” He is still and quiet. “Just because he persuaded you doesn't make it any the less…”

 

“It wasn't rape!” He exclaims. “I said yes, I let him!”

 

“I wasn't going to say rape, I was going to say qualified consent. You said yes to please him, but you really didn't want to.”

 

Slowly he turns to face me. “No. Then he said it was awful. That I was unresponsive, frigid even.”

 

“And…”

 

“We didn't have full sex after that; he refused. We had been waiting for the right moment to have sex for the first time and he said I ruined it for him. We would get each other off, you know wanking, but nothing more. We hardly ever kissed, not even on the cheek, and that's one of my favourite things to do. To be connected to a guy.” He sighs sits down, then to my surprise blushes! “You can't tell anyone, not even Mark!”

 

“Friend and client confidentiality means absolutely not.”

 

“I am glad you said friend first.” He picks at the throw.

 

“You don't have to answer this, but did you bottom or top, and how long has it been since you had full sex?” I sit next to him and link our arms.

 

“Bottomed. Well tried to. Never doing that again. Eighteen months.” I gape at him and he shrugs. “You get used to it.”

 

“Yikes! So when did you start talking to Brian, or Dark Storm as you knew him then?”

 

“About a year into...into what I thought was a relationship, but it was just a power thing for him, wasn't it?”

 

“Yep it was. And you are no longer under his control. I think he saw that, especially when you said yes to the show; instead of waiting for him to reach your level. So he sought to drag you back down, but you pushed back and the cheating was the last straw for you. So he…”

 

“He beat me up.” I think he is going to cry but he shakes it off then his jaw drops. “But he is wrong…” I say nothing, wanting him to come to the realisation himself. From what Mark has been telling me about their contact and how gentle he was when massaging his hand; their looks at each other when they don't think the other is noticing. “I am not frigid. I...I didn't...I…”

 

Come on, just say it!

 

“I didn't fancy him! I...I don't think I ever did, he paid me attention and I was flattered, more than flattered, but the more I got out and met other people and...and spoke to Dar...Brian. The less sex mattered, so I just channelled my frustration elsewhere.”

 

“Did you two, you and Brian I mean, ever speak, before you met at your Mom’s?”

 

“No. We were going to; well I was going to ask for his number as I was going to tell him about my show, but I couldn't wait so I...” He blinks a couple of times. “I told Brian before I told Eth-Eth-Ethan. Before I told Jewel or my Mom, I told Brian first. Does that mean something?”

 

“Not necessarily, but can I ask, what I suspect will be a very personal question?” He nods. “Why did you blush a few minutes ago?”

 

“I...I twitched.” He mumbles.

 

“Twitched? What do you mean twitched?” Then I realise. “For real…”

 

“Yeah. First time in ages.”

 

“That definitely means something!” He starts to grin. “It means there is nothing wrong with you, it was all him.”

 

“Yeah, I know. I know that now, the blame is squarely where it belongs; with Ethan!”

 

I lean across to kiss his cheek, because for the first time he didn't stammer or refuse to say his name!

 

ALLEGHANY PARK - SAME TIME

 

PEARL

 

Mom is running back to the car. We had come out to do some shopping really early, as she and dad are going to be cooking this evening. Dinner had to be postponed because Gus's dad had to go on a last minute business trip. We decided to go for a walk around the park because it was such a nice day, and then I found it. That is the biggest bunny I have seen in my life, and it is also in distress. I approach gingerly, making soothing, I hope, noises and then I see it, the ripple of her belly!

 

“Oh my god, you're in labour!” I gasp, and look up the path to see where Mom is.

 

“Hey kid, you okay?” A deep but concerned voice asks and I turn to face the owner. Now I am in more shock. For standing there is Drew Boyd, the ex Ironman, Drew the hunk Boyd! “You okay?” He repeats.

 

“The…” I point to the bushes and he steps forward to have a look. “...I think she’s…”

 

“In labour and judging by that struggling breached!” He declares, and rips off his coat. “Are you by yourself?! Do you trust me?!”

 

“No and yes. My Mom is with...coming now!” I point at the jeep as it pelts down the path.

 

“Great! Been with her long?”

 

“Since I was born!” I reply, thinking what a stupid question.

 

“I mean the rabbit!” He returns with a grin.

 

“Oh! About half an hour, she was in a sack and I saw it moving…”

 

“Some fuckheads call themselves human!” He growls and picks up the sack I pulled her out of. “We need to get her to the office! Let's get her on this!” Slowly and quietly we get her on the sack and lift her up then make our way to the car.

 

“Okay, Drew Boyd, how?” Mom demands as she hops out and opens the rear door.

 

“Fangirl later, save bunny now!” I order. “Now what office?”

 

“Mine. I am a vet now. Oh, sorry for swearing. Can I drive?”

 

“Sure.” Mom hands him her keys and gets in with me in the back.

 

TENDERHANDS VETERINARY PRACTICE - AN HOUR LATER

 

JEWEL

 

I don't know what she is fetching about more, the bunny or the fact that Gus has not replied to her text! It would appear that his birth mother has upset him again, but Pearl has not said what she’s done.

 

The door to the surgery opens and Drew’s nurse steps out; we both stand up. “It was close, but all four of them, well five including Mom are fine. She’s cleaned them, so the bond is there and they are feeding.”

 

The front door opens and Ems comes tearing in. “What happened?! One minute you are shopping for dinner and now you are at the vets! Explain!”

 

“We found a massive bunny in a sack and it turns out she was in labour in the park and then Drew Boyd happened up on the bunny and I….” Pearl takes a breath. “...well, he drove, brought her here, and there are four of them and...finally that bonehead has replied!” She grouses as her phone beeps. Ems and I exchange indulgent looks and wait for her to fill us in. “And once more she's grounded him!”

 

“What the hell for this time?!” Ems fumes. “These days if she’s not trying to turn him in to Stud Muffin Junior, she is almost wet nursing him again!”

 

“Dad!” Pearl shudders.

 

“What? She wears those bits of material low enough!” He quips.

 

“Again, Dad!” Pearl chuckles, and biffs him on his arm before reading some more then nodding. “Barn is almost finished.”

 

“Barn is...oh, I see.” Ems sighs and I clear my throat. “Gus is moving in with Brian, but into the barn, which Lindsay wanted, well still wants, to use as her studio.”

 

“So she figures that by constantly grounding him, it makes him look bad to Brian and he changes his mind?” I suggest.

 

“Exactly. If she can't have something then nobody else can in her world. I so feel for Mel. She’s barracking her too for supporting Gus in the moving out.”

 

“Ahem, ladies.” The nurse reminds us of her presence and we look sheepishly her.

 

“Sorry, you were saying?” I ask.

 

“So the thing is, where are we going to house them?”

 

“House them? Who them?” Ems queries.

 

“And then of course there is the one that was in breach, he is the runt of the litter, even though he came out first, so he needs extra special care.”

 

“Again the who?” Ems demands.

 

“This young lady found a Flemish Giant Bunny, very young, think this is her first litter.” The room goes quiet as Drew Boyd comes out and, sadly, does up his lab coat.

 

“Thanks, Christa, I can take it from here.” She nods and heads back to the office. “Do you know they are bred for their meat and fur? Just fucking disgraceful! Well, they are obviously going to be here for at least a week for monitoring, but then we have to find homes for them...what are you staring at?”

 

“You are kidding us with that question, right?” Pearl, for want of a better word, drools. “You are absolutely built, beautiful and love animals. The only thing that would make you perfect is if you were single!”

 

“Uh, thank you. And I am, but back to the…”

 

“What a coincidence, so is my Mom!”

 

“Pearl!” I squeak with embarrassment.

 

“What? You are single, and have a very hot spot for him as you have told me many a time.”

 

“Pearl, stop!” Ems guffaws.

 

“I am Pearl...as they have said, she is Jewel and he is Emmett and also my Dad.”

 

“I can see the pair of you in her and you guys can call me Drew; but back on topic. The rabbit and her kittens need to be…”

 

“Can we see them?” Ems asks suddenly.

 

“Sure, follow me, but you have to be quiet.” We follow him in and are faced with the most beautiful sight ever, they are feeding. “Isn't that gorgeous?” He whispers.

 

“Yes it is. They all are.” I reply, and just about stop myself from stroking her foot, which is poking out of the cage.

 

“Dad, you have lots of space, you can take them!” Pearl exclaims as quietly as she can.

 

“Yes I can, and yes I will.”

 

“Well that was easy!” Drew grins.

 

“Too easy. What you plotting?” I demand.

 

Ems sighs. “You know that Justin is drawing again? But now he is refusing to move into the house”

 

“Why?!” I fume as he had said that the place wasn't set up properly!

 

“Had another couple of nightmares according to Mark.” Some of my anger leaves me. I am still pissed he lied though. “And I think…” He points at the runt of the litter and smiles. “...he needs something to focus on. To care for. And this little bundle of cuteness will be perfect.”

 

“Uh, Ems, how is that going to work?” I frown.

 

“Because Brian loves bunny rabbits, they are his Kryptonite. Seriously, the moment he sees them he will want at least two.”

 

“And…” Drew prompts.

 

I start to smile at his subtle matchmaking attempts. “They will be living in the main house with Brian.”

 

“And Brian is?”

 

“Brian Kinney. He is going to be Justin's next boyfriend!” Pearl declares quietly; before looking at Drew intensely. “Are you busy later?”

 

“No why?”

 

“Can I interest you in dinner, to thank you for saving Sapphire and her kittens, whose names I will come up with shortly.” He thinks for a bit before nodding and smiling. “Good. Now can you give my Mom your number so that she can firm up the details?”

 

“Is she always like this?” Drew laughs.

 

“Yep.” I chuckle as she smirks with pride. “With us as parents, she couldn't turn out any other way than direct and on point.”

 

“Here is my card. I look forward to your call, Jewel, and to getting to know you all better. I’ve not made many friends since I moved here. Building up my practice.”

 

“Okay, let's leave him to it. We have food to prep!” Ems declares and bustles us out.

 

INSIDE JEWEL AND PEARL’S JEEP - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER

 

PEARL

 

I look across at Mom as she concentrates on the road. I sit up straighter in the seat the tap her hand.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“You saw it too, right?”

 

“What?” She frowns looking briefly at me.

 

“Dad was casting looks, and he's never wrong. Also, the rumours had been circling for years...”

 

“Ah that. Yeah, saw it. First time since Godiva, I think.”

 

“So you gonna be Drew’s beard?” I grin at her.

 

“Of course, I would do anything for your Dad.”


 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.