- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - OPEN CONVERSATIONS AND HOSTILITIES

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER

KITCHEN

JUSTIN

We’ve not spoken since Emmett dropped us back here. We did call Daphne and she said she would come around first thing. “Justin? Do you?”

 

“I’m sorry, do I what? I can’t believe it was Michael that Ethan was fucking around with.”

 

“I think a double is called for.” He pulls out glasses then heads to the freezer. “I don't want ice, but do you?”

 

“No thanks, what are we drinking?” I ask as he rejoins me at the table with the bottle and glasses. “Ah, I have never had whisky before.” He pauses in his pouring looking shocked. “What’s wrong with that?”

 

“You really are quite vanilla, aren’t you? So you are having a single.” He slides the glass over, but resumes pouring when I glower at him.  “You know you should do that more often, you look very cute when you’re pouting.”

 

“I don't know what I am more pissed at, the fact that you think I am vanilla, that this is pouting, or the fact that you have more in your glass than me. Level us up!” He grins and pours some more. I check before nodding.

 

“So why did you let him off the fuckdate set up?” He questions.

 

I splutter, then use the tea cloth to mop my streaming eyes. “I didn’t let him off!” I object.

 

“So the love bites were from you?” He queries, but it is his tone that is starting to rankle.

 

“No, they weren’t obviously! Like she said, he used his dubious charm on me, and…”

 

“How long was it?” He plays with the rim of his glass.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Between then and before.”

 

“Before what?”

 

“Okay, let's do it your way. When was the last time you two made love?”

 

I feel chills run down my spine. “How…”

 

“Stud of Liberty Avenue as well as Dark Storm, remember? I could remind you of a particularly interesting conversation we had when you said you were getting...” He pauses, smirks slightly, then indicates that I should drink some more. “...so?”

 

“Eighteen months.” I mutter, blushing. Now he is spluttering. “We did other things.” I add quickly.

 

“Like?”

 

“How have we gotten to this conversation?!” I exclaim.

 

“Because we have. So, like what?”

 

“Hand jobs.” I mutter, draining the glass then reaching for the bottle, but he pours for me.

 

“And.”

 

“That’s it.”

 

“No rimming, no blowing, no…”

 

“No! God no!” I shudder.

 

“Okay, you look like you want to vomit. Guess he was not one for cleanliness?” I grimace before nodding. “So I don’t want you to panic or take this the wrong way, but have you had your health check, sexual I mean?”

 

“No. What would be the point? I haven’t had full sex for 18 months.”

 

“Because Michael has anal warts.” I slowly put my glass down. “Yeah. Ben doesn’t, so am figuring he got it from Ethan or someone else, but...”

 

“Oh, I see. So back at you. Why?”

 

“Did I faint, or when was the last time I had fucked someone?”

 

“Interesting you said had fucked when it comes to you but say made love when it came to me, why?”

 

“Fucked because I am a single guy and that’s what I do, I fuck. For you, well you thought you were in a relationship, so you would call whatever little you did making love.”

 

“We didn’t even kiss properly, just a chaste peck on his lips or cheek.” I snap angrily, his brows rise. “He had the freaking nerve to call me frigid!”

 

“He never kissed that mouth? What an idiot.”

 

“I am also not frigid!” I point out hotly.

 

“Just before you came here. He wasn’t bad.” He tops up his drink with a sigh, I slide my glass nearer. “As for the other; I told you all earlier, he was hitting me, but then he bit me, I just lost it and picked up a bottle, ironically of whisky, and smashed it over his head. There was so much blood and he wasn’t moving. I just grabbed what I could and ran.”

 

“Sorry.” I give him a small smile.

 

“Why?” He frowns.

 

“You must have been terrified.”

 

“Yep, but he was fine. He didn’t even report me missing. I was gone for three weeks before Kiki went to get the rest of my stuff.” He gives a soft smile. “She just took one look at me huddled behind the dumpster, ordered me into the diner and fed me, then took me back to her place. A week later, I was introduced to Debs, Carl, and Michael as her nephew. They never questioned it.”

 

“Why should they?”

 

“Because Kiki was an only child and a man.”

 

“But you said she.”

 

“Transvestite.”

 

“How old were you?” I ask.

 

“Ten. She was the first proper family I had.” He whispers.

 

“Where is she now?”

 

“Alleghany Cemetery. She died when I was 22.” He is just running his nail up and down the table top. “I miss her so much. God, I hate that she never got to know that Debs and Carl are my birth parents.” I don’t know when I moved, but now I am holding a weeping Brian as tightly as I can. I rub his back as his sobs ease. “I will go and see her to tell her.”

 

“I think that is a good idea.”

 

“And you need to make an appointment with my doctors.”

 

“Okay.” I go to step away, but he tightens his hold much like me wiggling my fingers when he was going to stop the massage. “Will you come with me for the results?”

 

“Sure, but right now I think we should go to bed. Separate ones.” He adds quickly.

 

“Yeah. Goodnight, Brian.”

 

“Goodnight, Justin.” We slowly part, our eyes trained on each other, and still within touching distance. “You really need to go, we're both very emotional, and…”

 

“He is an idiot.” I interrupt. “Because I am an excellent kisser, and it is one of my favourite things to do…” He goes to speak but I shake my head. “...but now is not the time for that.”

 

BRIAN

I am staring at the closed door five minutes after he has gone, I can still feel his warmth. I jump out of my skin when my phone rings. My shoulders slump when I see it is Lindsay, I put her on speaker.

 

“Is this going to be quick? I am…”

 

“Not really.” She sniffs, and I want to scream as this is her normal modus operandi and she thinks that people haven’t cottoned onto it. “Brian, what am I going to do?!”

 

“Do about what? You threatened to throw them out of your house, and you confiscated their phones because you weren’t getting your own way, so they did what any normal person who keeps being bullied would do; they kicked back.” She stops sniffing and clears her throat. “Is that it?”

 

“Why are you putting them up at Britin? Why not the loft? It is closer for all of…”

 

“Gus, as you know, was always going to live with me.” I head to the cupboard and pull out another bottle of whisky. “So the real question is about Mel and Jenny, and, more importantly, the cottage. Now that Justin has moved into the opposite wing, it is free, and…”

 

“He has moved in with you?! What on earth for?!”

 

“Because.” I reply topping up my glass.

 

“Because what?!” She demands.

 

“I am hanging up now and going to bed!” I snap as I carefully pour the whisky back in the bottle. She is really fucking me off, and the one thing I never do when I am annoyed is drink, reminds me too much of him.

 

“Wait, what about Michael? He is your brother, remember?” She’s starting to get shrill. “He’s resting, he’s in shock. He’s just found out…”

 

“That the man he had no problem cheating on Ben with is a psycho? Oh, poor baby.”

 

“Brian, have some compassion!” She seethes.

 

“I do! For people who deserve it, and neither of you are them! Now goodnight!”

 

EMMETT’S HOUSE - SAME TIME

LOUNGE

EMMETT

I frown at a grinning Jewel. “You’re not really going to do that to her, are you?”

 

“Yep.” She replies, having gotten off the phone with a now pouting Pearl.

 

“So what are you going to have? And you do realise that you are supposed to love, nurture and cherish our daughter.” I remonstrate, then frown again. “Do you reckon that I, no actually Justin, could persuade Brian to have one too?”

 

“Yeah, and I do, but she taught Jenny the sneaky way of calling the idiot a C-word; ergo, she needs to be punished for it. Think it is only right.”

 

“But it was…”

 

“Sneaky.” She interrupts, staring hard at me.

 

“Come on, Jewel.” I protest. “I could understand you getting your tattoo without her picking it out if she had told her to flat out say it, but she didn’t.” She rolls her eyes then spins her phone, trying not to smile. “Oh, you devil!” I heave a sigh of relief. “So which one is it?”

 

“This one.” She excitedly opens her photo reel. “After her, of course!”

 

 

“Oh now, that is beautiful! Where you are getting it done, and in that colour?”

 

“Not sure about the colour, and have no idea where. Some research is called for, which I shall put Pearl in charge of then tell her I am doing her favourite.” She takes a sip of brandy. “Hmm, that’s better. So why suggest a tattoo for Brian though?”

 

“I have often wondered why he rubbed his collarbone, always when stressed out and always keeps it covered. So if he has a nice something there, then maybe…”

 

“Yeah maybe.” She leans across and kisses my cheek. “He’s going to get the very best of you.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Drew, of course!” She laughs, and I blush.

 

BRITIN - SATURDAY MORNING

KITCHEN

DAPHNE

I look up as the door opens and Justin comes in. He looks exhausted. “Bad night’s sleep?” I ask, pouring some coffee as he nods. “Brian’s the same. Mark has made some breakfast that you must eat. Brian won’t be long.”

 

“Where is he?” He looks worried.

 

“Gone to get Tonka and Beam. Why? Did something happen after we spoke?”

 

“Yeah, but I think it is something that we both…” He begins before the arrival of a bunny-less Brian through the door. “...I thought Daphne said…”

 

“It is too early to take them. Next week we can.” He sighs. “I was looking forward to welcoming them to the barn.”

 

“So…” I start briskly. “...who wants to go first, and where do you want to sit?”

 

“Here is fine. He needs to eat.” Brian declares, nodding at the oven. With only a slight pout, Justin pulls out the breakfast of bacon, eggs and sausages, and his face lights up. “Not all of that is for you, you know, two of those sausages are mine!”

 

I watch them make their way around the kitchen quietly, and after a few bites, I decide to get this started. “So, Justin was saying before you came in that something happened after we spoke. Can you tell me what that was?”

 

“We admitted we’re attracted to each other.” Justin replies, looking at Brian for confirmation. He nods around a mouthful of sausage, I try not to smirk at the irony of that. “We more or less said it and came close to kissing, but stopped. I think we have to fix ourselves first, well, I know I do because…”

 

“We both do.” Brian interrupts, smirking at me because my mouth is moving but nothing is coming out. “And this is where you step in, Doc.”

 

“Well, I wasn’t expecting that!”

 

“I think it was when I found out you are Dark Storm.” Justin chuckles. “I was attracted to the presence of you online, but then…”

 

“Uh huh, me too, I looked forward to our talks more than going out and getting my dick sucked. Oh, and the congee did it for me, Blue Angel.”

 

“But we also have another problem.” Justin rolls his eyes as Brian helps himself to a piece of bacon. “Apart from you taking food off my plate!”

 

“And that would be?” I prompt, astonished by the calm way they are behaving as  if they are talking about the weather!

 

“We're both tops.” Brian states. This time Justin’s jaw drops.

 

“I could see why that might present a problem, but…” I am interrupted by Brian’s phone ringing. He looks at it then sends the call to voicemail with a scowl, then the back door knocks. We look at each other but say nothing.

 

“So, should I open it?” Justin whispers.

 

“Why not? You live here after all.” Brian drawls as he starts to help himself to more bacon, but changes his mind when Justin raises his fork. “I should imagine it is either Lindsay, Michael or both. She called last night, weeping about her bullying backfire, and going on about how I should show Michael compassion. Oh, and she’s not thrilled about Mel and Jenny moving into the cottage.”

 

“Maybe I should move back to the…”

 

“No, Justin, you are staying here. Them having a problem with you, Mel and Jenny living with me is exactly that: their problem.”

 

I am about to agree when I hear raised voices in the hallway. “I am his brother, I can be here if I want! Besides, I need to tell him something about his new lodger, and he’s not taking my calls!”

 

“He is busy…” Mark tries to explain, but as always when it comes to him, he doesn't listen to anything but what he wants to hear.  

 

“Then I will wait in the kitchen! Something smells good, you can set me up a plate of whatever it is.” Michael snaps before striding in and coming to a halt on seeing us. “Well, isn’t this cosy? So, want to explain yourself?”

 

“Nope.” Brian replies, rubbing his shoulder.

 

“Not you, I mean him. Didn’t take you long to get in here, did it? Fucked him as thanks yet?” Michael sneers.

 

“No, I don't fuck around indiscriminately, and…”

 

“You don’t fuck at all from all accounts!”  Michael sneers. “Ethan never has that problem with me. And it was you, you gave it to him!”

 

“Gave him what? Anal warts? No I didn’t! He and you have one thing in common: your lack of cleanliness. I can see the dirt under your nails from here!”

 

I smile as he puts his hands quickly in his pockets. “Now, Mr Horvath, my husband has already…”

 

“My surname is Grassi, I will never see that man as anything other than Carl  and they are welcome to their daddy. Are you two going to change your last names as a matter of interest? Which brings me to my other reasons for calling you, Brian, I am still coming to the party she and he are throwing, do you have a problem with that?”

 

“Personally, no, as I begin to dislike you more each day; but will check with Brandon and our folks. Trust me, if they have a problem, you are not coming.”

 

“You seem to forget that I was her son first, since I have been in her life longer than you!”

 

“The party is for them being reunited, nothing to do with you!” Justin explodes. “I can’t believe you three are related!”

 

“Her taste in men improved, albeit briefly.” Michael snipes. “So just to be sure, there is no chance of you trying to reconnect with Ethan again, is there?”

 

“You are welcome to him, birds of a nasty feather fucking together and all that!”

 

“Good. Try to be polite to him.” Michael smirks as he starts to walk out of the kitchen backwards. “I would hate for my new boyfriend to be made to feel unwelcome.”

 

BRIAN

 

I stop rubbing my shoulder as anger starts to consume me, but then I think of him and tamp it down.

 

“He will be most welcome, Michael!” I shout out. He comes back quickly. Everyone is looking at me in shock and confusion. “When he will promptly be arrested. Due to his injuries, Justin could not press charges against him, but now that he is fighting fit, we are going to change that! Justin, go and get changed and call Jewel. She will need to make a statement!”

 

“You would do that to your brother?” Michael bellows. “Why don't people want me to be happy?!”

 

“I want you to be happy, Michael, but not at the cost of Justin’s safety and happiness!” I grab his arm then propel him to the front door. “Don’t you have a psycho to warn?!” I snarl, then shove him out. His stumbling gives me an opportunity to slam the door, but him being him he comes back and kicks it a few times whilst swearing. Two minutes later, I can hear his car starting and wait for the sound to fade.

 

I turn my head at the throat being cleared and a concerned looking Daphne is behind me, I straighten to release the tension in my shoulders. “How’d that feel?”

 

“I’ll tell you when we get back.” I return, and head to the stairs. “You going to be…” I begin to call up but Justin trotting down the stairs looking determined, stops me. “Take it you are ready?”

 

“Fuck yeah. Jewel will stay with me, you come back and speak to Daphne, alright?”

 

“Yep, perfect.”

 

KITCHEN - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER

DAPHNE

“It's started, hasn’t it? Them starting to heal, I mean.” Mark asks as we clear up the breakfast things. They’ve been gone for ten minutes. Brian forgot his phone so had to come back. “And how are you going to persuade them?”

 

“Yes it has. As for the bottoming, I am sure once they get past the kissing stage it will not be a problem!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.