- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 - THE TRUTH FROM THE SISTER AND THE GRAVE 


LYNETTE


“You and Lindsay have been using the loft?” Brian frowns. “Why were you using it?”


“I never went there, I would not violate your privacy in that sense, oh the irony. I know what she was going there for. She was going for me, but I suspect now that she was going for herself. Which is why I have had them…”


“I should go.” The young man behind him suggests, Brian looks startled, as if he had forgotten he was there. “I will see you…”


“Stay. Please. Okay?”


“Okay.” He replies quietly, I feel even shittier because there is something in what they have just said, as if seeking reassurance and comfort. “Shall I make some coffee or pour something stronger?”


“Stronger? I think I need stronger, right Lynnette? Oh, sorry, this is Justin. This is Lynette, she’s Lindsay's sister.”


“Yes you do. So do I. Please, can we sit down, Brian?” 


“What will you have, Lynette?” Justin asks.


“Vodka if you have it.” I wait for him to pour the drinks. He sits down next to Brian and watches me carefully.


“Well?” Brian prompts, holding tightly onto the glass.


“I wanted a baby, but my soon-to-be ex wasn’t keen. And…”


“Please tell me you didn’t have her go through the trash for used condoms?!” Justin gasps, slamming the glass down so hard I am surprised that it doesn’t break. 


“No, Justin! Of course she wouldn’t have her do that!” Brian exclaims, then looks at me. “You didn’t, did you?” I swallow then slowly nod. “Are...are you bloody insane?!” He leaps up and takes some steps backwards. 


“It was my idea! Don’t blame her entirely for this, I haven’t used them. She said she was going to talk to you about it, and…”


“Them?! Talk to me about it??!!” He blasts, holding onto the dresser behind him.


“Yes, I obviously wouldn’t have used them without your permission.” I stammer, never having seen him so rightly furious before.


“But taking it without his permission is perfectly fine, is it?!” Justin snarls.


“No, of course not, but I was desperate!” 


“Then how about you speak to me before you steal someone’s spunk?!” Brian thunders.


“Stole his spunk?! Who stole your spunk?!” Another blonde man yells. 


“Nobody thank god! But the principle is the same!”


“She and Lindsay.” Justin retorts. “Where is it?”


“In a...um, who are you?” I stare at the man who has taken his place by Brian’s side and who also seems to be calming him down.


“His brother, Brandon.” He replies. “You doing okay, Brian?” He stills the rubbing of his shoulder. 


“Yeah.” He takes a few breaths. “So your ex...” He sneers. “...take it walked when he found out?” 


“He never found out. He left me for another woman.” I press my lips together to stop the trembling. “He left us I mean.”


“Us? What us?” Brian frowns.


“He and Lindsay were screwing each other.” 


“Screw...” Justin echoes. “Jesus, what a…”


“He said I was neglectful, and when I did want to do it, it was just for that. Said at least with her, one of us was looking out for his needs…” I sniff and try to blink back tears, as this is humiliating enough. I search in my purse for tissue as they start to streak down my face, but I can barely see. 


“Here.” I look up and find Justin holding out some paper towels. “The bathroom is down the hall and to the left.” I am surprised by the gentle tone. “When you return we will talk calmly. Please, can we do that, Brian?”


“It depends on what she says when she comes back!” He snaps as I head out. 


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I am about to check on her when Lynette comes back in.  “How did you get here?” I ask as I reopen the vodka.


“Took a cab, but no more, thanks. This will suffice.” She sits down and fiddles with the glass before looking around. “Where’s Brandon?”


“Working out in the barn.” Brian replies as he comes back in. “Ben is going to meet him there, but I have his keys.” He tosses them on the counter. “So your honesty moment is because?”


“I found out something else about her, which I need to speak to Mel about. And to apologise to Gus for any time I tried to get information from him about stuff he didn’t want her knowing. He wised up pretty quickly.”


“He’s smart, my son.” Brian scrubs his face. “Where are you going?” He frowns as I stand.


“Not far. Just outside the door. Am going to text Daphne. Okay?”


“Okay.”


I am less than a minute. Thankfully they are both still seated, and although the atmosphere is less charged, he has topped up his glass. I don’t want to say much, especially as he has started to rub his shoulder again. Retaking my seat, I put my hand on his thigh and squeeze it. He stops rubbing and covers my hand with his.


“What did you find out?” He asks quietly.


“She has more money than she said she had from the inheritance. She got three quarters of it, not half. Ironically, it was my husband that told me. I didn’t know either.”


“How did you not know that?” I frown. “Who was the executor of the wills?”


“Alistair French. He is one of my next visits.” She takes a deep sip. “Hmm, maybe tomorrow when I am less...yes less.”


“Two questions, Lynette…” I entwine our fingers in his lap and he gives them a squeeze. “...where is what she collected, and how long has she been doing this?”


She reaches in her purse and slides an envelope across to Brian. He looks at me and nods. I open it and read the contents. “This explains the where but not the how long.”


“About a year.”


“What?!” Brian explodes.


“We had to make sure the samples were…” She trails off. “...I just wanted a baby.”


“There are these wonderful things called adoption agencies!” Mel’s voice makes everyone jump.


“Mel?! When did you get here?!” Brian gasps as he gets between her and a very frightened looking Lynette.


“You had Brandon’s keys…” She regards Lynette with such hatred that I am truly scared for her. “...but you should’ve taken his phone. He called Ben and he picked me up.” She gets a glass from the cupboard and sits on the other side of Brian. She says nothing as she pours then takes a measured sip. “So, is there anything else you want to tell me, sister dear? And by that, I mean you will tell me everything or I will leave nothing but dust where you sit!”


LINDSAY'S HOUSE - THREE HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


I have been thinking about my newly single status, and am furious, especially as Ben and Brandon know about it! And even worse, I have been hearing on the street about them not only spending a lot more time together, without Brian, as I have always had my suspicions about him coveting what was mine, but Ben has now moved into the loft! Hunter, his irritant of a son, took great pleasure in sending me pictures.


I twirl my phone on the table, trying to think of something to do when the front door is flung open then banged closed.


“That utter wretch! Wait till I get my hands on her!” Lindsay screams as she storms in. 


“What’s wrong with you?!” I have never seen her look so furious.


“Michael! I didn’t think you would be in.” She paces for a bit. “Oh, just a family issue that needs to be sorted. How was your day?”


“A little less irritating than yours, but irritating.”


She snorts. “Want a drink?”


“Please. Want to talk about it?”


“Not really. It will all be sorted soon enough.” She pours us a glass of wine each and sits next to me. “So, about tomorrow…”


“There is no tomorrow. Mel has to go to court for something else, so we’ve moved it to Friday.” She looks surprised. “Didn’t she tell you?”


“Yes. Just not the day it was moved to. I have to shift some appointments to make it then. What time is it again? Oh how my mind is so jumbled with unnecessary Peterson family drama, gosh I miss my mother's calming influence.” 


“At least you had both your parents. I had her, and now Brandon and Brian are taking her away from me.” Again she looks surprised. “Now that they are a proper family, I am being forced out.”


“Debs wouldn't do that to you.” She pats my arm. “You are her Michael, her brown eyed bambino. Isn’t that what she calls you?”


“Not for a long time.” I sigh. “But enough of this. Let’s go!”


“Go where?” 


“A bar. Babylon. Anywhere to shake off this for shit mood we are in.”


She contemplates this a bit before smiling then standing. “Yes, why not? It isn’t as if this can get any worse, is it?”


ALISTAIR FRENCH’S OFFICE - MONDAY MID-MORNING


ALISTAIR’S OFFICE


MEL


Like Robert Duvall’s character in Apocalypse Now, there is a certain smell that fills me with joy. For him it was napalm first thing in the morning. As for me, it is the smell of oh shit sweat that permeates a room when I know I have someone right where I want them. And it is coming off of him like a rolling fog. 


“How long?” I demand again.


“Less than three months. She was grieving, and…”


“Oh please!” Abigail, his wife scoffs. “She was willing and I suppose you were just about able!  Now let us make this as easy as possible, shall we, Alistair? There is no impropriety proven against my husband from a legal standpoint. Is there?”


“No.” I reply. “But I am curious about your feelings on this.”


“I have none that I wish to divulge, but I have seen a rather fetching diamond necklace and earring set in Tiffany’s...quarter cut stone with emeralds. I will send you the link, darling, put a rush on it.” 


He nods then clears his throat. “So, the will from Nancy and Ronald does give the majority share to Lindsay, which cannot be disputed. She asked me to say it was split equally as she didn’t want Lynette’s feeling hurt at that time.”


“Bullshit!” Lynette snorts then winces, rubbing her temple. If she is expecting sympathy for her hangover, she will not find it from me. “She is a WASP, and everyone knows how a WASP mind works. She would’ve found a way to let me know. No doubt when she told me that Brian said no to the baby with me…”


“You are so right.” Alistair interrupts. “...Mel, this is for you, it is from Ronald…”


My hands tremble as I open the letter, tearing up as I see his familiar scrawl. I clear my throat and blink back the tears. “My dearest, Melanie, oh how it pains me to have had this in reserve, but I had to do it. You have given me two of the greatest things in the world, my grandchildren. Gus and Jenny are a credit to you and you alone. Nothing, nothing to do with Lindsay. She has and always will be all about getting one over people. I overheard you say that to her once, and it always stuck with me, because of the truth of the matter. Now, confession time, for I have always known this but hoped she would change. Alas, she did not. She is, and always has been straight. Not gay, not bisexual, not curious but straight. She went with you to annoy and embarrass her mother, but was shocked when not only did Nancy accept it instantly, but she fell in love with you for your passion, work ethic and just damn fine finesse. Consequently, she would not back out of the lie. And lie she did, to both you and us. I asked her once, are you sure this is what you want because it is unfair of you to be playing whimsy with other people’s feelings, as I could see that you loved her so. But she said yes, she was sure, but I knew. But what really stuck in her heart was Nancy's reaction to you, and what you did over the course of the relationship. Nancy saw that you and you alone keep trying to make the family that Lindsay has happy and loving, with Lindsay only stepping in to berate, bully and bludgeon. Now go do that without her, she will never be happy because you are not who she wants, and who she wants does not want her. And she can’t stand it. So, in the event of my death and your separation from Lindsay, you are to receive $5 million to set up your own practice and be the kick-ass attorney we know you are…” I can’t see for tears and it takes a while for me to stop. “...um, why wasn’t I...” I stare at the paper, the words a blur.


“Why wasn't she given it before? Was that what you were going to ask?” Abigail asks as she gets up and pours some water.


“Death and separation.” Lynette hands me a tissue. “I guess he wanted to provide for you because he knew she wouldn’t.”


“Oh I see. Um where was I?”


“Here, you were just here.” Lynette points to a place. “Kick-ass attorney we know you to be.”


“And...and know this, we are so proud to have had you in our lives for however long, as a daughter, a friend and the best maker of chicken soup with matzo balls in the world ever! In my heart and with my love always, Ronald.” I fold the letter and put it in my purse. “Does she know?”


“No. She doesn’t.” I turn to Lynnette in surprise. “I didn’t know about the letter either, but I knew about the love. And so did she, which is why she is the way she is with you. Like he said, you have made him the one thing she never could, and that is proud.”


“Do you think he would be proud of you?” I am not ready to forgive her, desperation or not, for what she did, but know now that Lindsay would not have allowed that to happen. She has always been proud, actually fiercely proud, of the fact that she is the mother of Gus. 


“No, I am not proud of me, but desperation makes strange bedfellows.”


“How was Gus conceived?” Abigail suddenly asks. “I mean, did they…”


“Oh no, that was by AI.” I smirk. “I made sure of that.”


“What do you mean?” Lynette frowns.


“Once she wore me down with Brian being the best option, I made sure they were never alone.”


“Speaking of Brian, who is Justin to him?” Lynette blinks at me.


“They are friends. Why?”


She smiles. “Oh, they are much more than that. So much more.”


BRITIN, BRIAN’S WING - LUNCHTIME


MASTER BEDROOM


BRIAN


I come to a halt as I step out of the en suite and find Justin sitting on the bed.


“You alright?” I ask, flinging the towel over my shoulder.


“Can I see?” He watches me carefully.


“You are seeing, due to me being naked.” 


“Don't.” He gets up and stands in front of me. I swallow hard as his hand rests on the towel. “As beautiful as your cock is, this is what I want to see. Will you let me?” His hand doesn't move whilst mine grips the end of it tightly. “Brian?”


“Fine.” I reply, and as he lifts it off my shoulder, immediately I break out in a sweat. He stares at the bite mark for a while. “Say something.” I try not to flinch as he traces it. 


“If I am ever there when you feel the need, hold my hand instead. Okay?”


“Okay.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks.