- Text Size +

CHAPTER 45 - SHOPPING TRIPS - PART 1 AND ABOUT BEN AND LEDA


DAPH AND MARK’S HOME - TWO DAYS LATER


OFFICE


MARK


“Honestly, you think he’s fine?” I sip my coffee.


“Justin or Brian?”


“Both.” I reply. “Whatever ails Justin affects Brian, and…”


“You noticed that too, huh? However, I think once he is laid to rest, both literally and mentally; they will both be fine and will begin to look forward again.” She helps herself to a piece of banana pancake. “This is so good. I can’t wait to go, you sure you don’t want to come shopping?”


“Yes, I’m very sure!” I laugh at her enthusiasm to go to Babylon, specifically the Wine & Dine part. As it formally opens on Saturday night, she needs to get a fierce and fly outfit, which could’ve meant me having to be dragged to the shops, but luckily Jewel and Pearl have come to my rescue, having suggested she goes shopping with them instead. 


“Although I have to admit to not understanding why they’ve said yes to Lindsay coming too...”


“Coming? Coming to what?” I manage to get to the last piece of pancake, much to her chagrin. “I’m the chef, remember? It was my opinion they sought.”


“Be like that, but just remember actions have consequences.” She threatens before rising to plant a kiss on my cheek. “You’re going to need to put in a buffer?”


“A buffer? Why?” I pull her onto my lap. “How much are you intending to spend?”


“It’s not me, it’s Pearl. She’s ordered us all to hand over our cards in advance. Jewel said that it’s best to roll with that punch, because she will find a way of taking what she deems unflattering back; although it will be interesting to see how she dresses Lindsay…”


“Lindsay’s going shopping too? I wouldn't have thought that neither Mel nor Lynette would like that.”


“Oh, Pearl insisted that it was ‘all girls together’.” She grins, her eyes gleaming with mischief.


“Aww, now I wish I was going!” 


“Like I said, actions and consequences!” She gloats before getting up just as her phone beeps. “Make it big, we’re going vintage!” 


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


It’s his sniff that gets my attention, followed by the slap of his feet on the marbled floor. “What are you doing?” He sounds sleepy, I brush his cheek when he rests his head on my shoulder. “It smells good.”


“Making us some dark hot chocolate.” I reply as I make sure that the milk doesn’t scald.


“Dark? What’s the percentage?” He nibbles on my neck. I squirm as the sensation skitters down my spine and settles just above my butt.


“Minimum 72%, oh particular one…” He snorts whilst I grin at having discovered his secret. 


Yesterday, I wanted to process everything that had happened on my own, but he insisted I take a piece of him with me and lent me his jacket. I looked like a drowned rat, but felt so warm. I had been walking for about ten minutes when the munchies hit, which would’ve meant turning back. I was hunting for my phone to call him to see if he could bring me something, when I found it, buried in his inner pocket, some dark chocolate, although it was foiled it had no wrapper. I love dark chocolate, but could never find a really good one. When I took the first bite, I stopped cold; it was so good! It’s the kind that you slowly allow to melt in the mouth, to savour the flavour, nuances and texture. As I started on the third piece, I was determined to get my own. 


When I got back, I demanded he tell me where it was from. He was unsurprised, but most amused, when he returned a few hours later to find me putting my order away. Yes, I put a rush on it, and told him that there would be no sharing...since he never mentioned his love of dark chocolate to me in the first place!  


“Now, do you want honey or brown sugar?” 


“What does the recipe say?” He breathes into my ear before gently running his tongue over it. “Your tragus seems to be sensitive, wonder if it would like to be nibbled?”


“My what?” I sigh.


“Tragus, it’s the nubbin of your ear. I need answers to my, now, two questions.”


“Brown sugar. Why don’t you try and see what happens?” My breath catches and the spoon rattles against the pot. “That would be a hell yeah.” 


“Indeed.” He tilts my head up and we feast on each other’s mouths; tongues dance, teeth do not clash whilst I scrabble to turn off the stove. The only sounds are our breathing, soft slurping then the scrape of the pot as he moves it away from us. “Want to?” He looks down at me, eyes sultry, lips swollen...I should imagine I look the same. 


“Yeah...bend over.” I order as I push him back towards the table.


“It was my suggestion.” He protests, but starts to get naked. 


“This is part of your punishment…” I husk before nipping his nipple. “...for the chartreuse.”


“Ah, that…” He tries and fails not to smirk. “...but you can get it on Monday.”


My head shoots up. “How do you know that?”


“After you clicked off the site, I got a notification. Benefits of being a favoured customer, to say that...hey, where are you going?! In the middle of something, remember?!”


“Yes I do!” I declare from the doorway. “And we’re gonna ‘cum’ back to it, cos when I get the chartreuse...I want to use you as a spoon.”


“Just get dressed!” He orders, and we sprint up the stairs.


NOVOTNY/GREENHITHE RESIDENCE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER 


HALLWAY


MICHAEL


“George, will you hurry up?!” I demand as he dawdles. “The whole point of us going now is that we miss the crowds.” I huff. “George! What’s the matter with you? Christ, you’ve been distracted all morning.”


“I was just reading the Cockblogger.”


“Oh, so what’s good in the world of gossip?” I ask, sighing in relief as he pockets his phone. 


“Nothing much. The posting about you has finally come down.” 


I scowl, as I’m sure it was deliberate! They are normally only up for three days, but this was up for at least eight or nine. “But it’s what’s not there that is annoying me.”


“What do you mean?” I open the door, silently cheering when he finally heads through it.


“Nothing on the syphilitic Kinney.” He laments. 


“What do you mean nothing?” I ask as I lock up. “How can that be?” He shrugs whilst I fume; seems nothing touches the Stud of Liberty Avenue! “Well, something will have to stick, it’s the law of averages.” I state as we get in the car. “Where’d dad go so early?”


“Said he had to catch up with an old friend...speaking of friends…” He begins, I shake my head. “Why not?”


“George! We can’t, you know we can’t.” I sigh, never wishing so much that we weren’t related. Sex with him was great, especially as I got to top a lot more than Ben would allow. It had nothing to do with my ‘cleanliness’. None of my other lovers had a problem, he just couldn’t take my superlative skills. 


“But nobody who would tell on us knows.”


“Apart from your mom and your sister?” I point out. “Actually, my half sister, who doesn’t like us, so…”


“How is she going to know we hooked up? I miss you. I know it sounds creepy, but…”


“You don’t think I miss what we had as well? But with what the Cockblogger posted, I’m a virtual piranha, I mean pariah right now.” I glower at him as he’s got off scott free in all of this. “Now we’re not going to discuss this anymore, you’re buying me an outfit for the worms you gave me, remember? ”


“I didn’t know I had them!” He objects. “Besides, the antibiotics will get rid of them once and for all, then you can work on…”


“Where, no who, did you get them from?” I demand, despite me asking him more than once, he’s never told me, well that stops now!


“Just some guy I hooked up with whilst you were away with Ben that time.”


“From around here?” I ask as I pull into traffic. 


“No. He lives in Ohio. It was a lovely weekend, and…”


“Who fucked who?” I query.


“We fucked each other, why does it matter? It’s in the past now.”


“But it’s literally affected, or should I say infected, my fucking future!” I point out.


“How about I buy you shoes as well?” 


“You were going to!” I snap, the rest of the journey continues in silence.


EONS FASHION ANTIQUE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


DEAVON - SHOP OWNER


My eyebrows shoot up. I can’t look at Buffy, we’re both trying not to flinch at the outfit that has been selected, although we are somewhat hopeful! The young girl is holding it up to the people she came in with; she finally stops in front of a blonde lady. “Yes, this is so you, Aunt Lindsay, you must try it!” 


“Are you sure?” Lindsay looks dubious, whilst I believe a couple members of her crew are trying not to smirk. I don’t blame them, this dress has been on our shelves for almost five years! It’s got a brown, purple and green paisley pattern on an orange background and is a midi. And it’s the type of corduroy that hangs like armour! “It’s not really…”


“It’s perfect! It’s got pockets.” She presses the dress into her hands. “And I’ve spotted the most chi-chi shoes that go with it. Buffy, can you be a darling and get the stacked heels…” She looks at the dress again. “...oh yes, the tan mules, which will tie in with the rich ochre.”


“Sure.” Buffy smiles. “I know exactly the ones that you’re talking about…um…”


“Oh, my name is Pearl. She, as I said, is Aunt Lindsay, this is Aunt Daphne, Aunt Mel, and the Amazonian who is not looking hopeful is my mom, Jewel.”


“Nice to meet you all, this is Deavon, she owns the shop and sources all the items.”


“The pleasure is all mine.” I wave. “Although some items were already here when I took over the shop.” I add quickly, wanting to absolve myself of all association to that dress debacle!


“Won’t be a second.” She calls over her shoulder as she heads to the rack and comes back, not only with the shoes, but an afghan coat...a very nice suede afghan coat! Pearl and I frown at her, then almost sag in relief as she hands it to Jewel. “You’ve got the chops, the stature, and the colouring to carry that off. Now, Pearl, are these the mules?”


“Yes, they set the outfit off perfectly.” Pearl beams, whilst I suppress my cough at Buffy’s crossed fingers. “Now come along, Aunt Lindsay, let’s get you in those…”


“Are you quite sure that…”


“Who is the fashionista of this group? Who was it that spotted that cashmere trench coat in the sale?” 


“You and you.” Lindsay smiles at her. “Alright, won’t be a tick!” She turns to me. “The changing rooms are where?” I don’t like her tone of voice one bit, but bite my tongue and indicate behind her. 


“Right, whilst she’s doing that, the rest of you go hunt. You have half an hour to find something I deem appropriate for tonight. Chop-chop!” I marvel at Pearl’s assertiveness, and decide to see if I can help. “How do you find your pieces, Deavon? I mean, do you go on trips and stuff like that?”


“Yes, I do. Why? And call me Dea.”


“Dea it is. Could my dad and I come one time? He loves vintage, and...wait…” She gapes. “Is that a Gucci travel trunk?! Mom, get over here!”


“Yes, it is, but…”


“My dad would love that!” She exclaims whilst pulling out her phone. “Hi, Dad, you’re not going…”


“Uh, Jenny, your dad can’t have it, it’s reserved.” I interrupt. Her face falls. “I’m sorry.”


“Oh. Never mind, we’ll catch up later. Where are we? At a vintage shop in town, and they have a Gucci travel trunk, but it’s…” She frowns at me then hands over her phone. “...wants to talk to you.”


“Me? Is he hoping to persuade me to unreserve it? This won’t work. It’s for a very special customer of mine, and…”


“I know I’m special! How perfect is perfect?!” Is bellowed out, I gasp before putting him on speaker. “Dea, how perfect is it? Please say I can come and collect it now?!”


“It’s utterly perfect, Emmett, and yes you can!” I laugh. I take him off speaker. “So this is your daughter, huh? Seems that we’ve got to catch up some.” I tease. I nod and smile when she gestures at the trunk, which she opens so that Jewel can take pictures. “Just a quick question, does she have your mode de empoli when it comes to revenge? She does? Ah, well I think a further assist is called for. Oh, no, I’ll let her tell you. Bye, darling.” 


“What did he say?” Pearl calls out. “Oh, mom, look! Dog collars, can we? Please, can we?!” I wince as she scrambles around, in vintage Levis, to check out the collars. “And she has cat ones!” She squeals. 


“Honey, those are not meant for scuttling in, get off your knees!” I declare, whilst helping her up. 


“In answer to your question, yes we…” Jewel trails off. “...well that’s a look!” She sounds so aghast that I turn around and gulp. Now when Pearl said the dress had pockets, I didn’t realise that they were on the back of the dress “I think you should tell her how great she looks.” Jewel winks. “Pearl has her card.” 


“I’ll get…”


“Dea, wasn’t it?” This Lindsay person doesn’t wait for me to answer, or look my way. Ooh, that is not going to fly. “Is there another coat like the one that Buffy found for Jewel?” She is unwisely admiring herself. “We both have the same sense of style!” 


“What an Ignoranus!” Jewel gripes quietly as Lindsay returns to the changing room, then looks at Pearl. “A person who is both ignorant and an asshole…”


“Mom!” She gasps. “I’ve got to tell Reva!” 


“Reva?” I query.


“A newly acquired big sister. Not related to Ems, but her tongue is just as vituperative. Although, she’s been advised by a certain teen that calling her brother an orchid is a much better way of insulting him.”


“Orchid?” Buffy frowns as she joins us, with a coat. “What do you think of it, Pearl?” 


“Good enough for the likes of her.” She sneers, cutting her eye at the changing room. “She won’t, much to my pissoffedness, wear the trench as she doesn't feel that it’s a fitting locale for an item of that calibre. Snooty old…”


“Testicle.” Jewel interrupts and we all look confused. “The orchid is also known as a testicle because of the shape of the tubers. And what does Reva call father and son?”


“Ooh snap!” Pearl giggles, whilst Buffy and I file that nugget of information in our memory banks.


“Sorry we’re late!” A lady rushes in with another young girl. “We had to drop Gus off at Hunter’s. Have we missed much? Zack is just parking.” 


“No, we’ve just gotten started.” Pearl replies. “Now, Dea and Buffy, this blonde with the beautiful legs is Aunt Lynette and the fellow devil in teen clothing is Jen, my bestie. Ladies, meet ladies.” Pearl instructs, but it’s the look on her face that’s intriguing. “Is he parked close?” 


“No, three minutes walk if that.” Jen returns as she looks around.


“That’s great.” Jewel smirks. “Lindsay, Lynette and Jen are here, Zack won’t be long!”


She pops her head out. “Okay, I’ll be out shortly! Any luck with that coat, Dea?!”


“Buffy is just bringing it to you!” I call back as her over familiarity begins to breed contempt. “I think there might be a bag that goes with it too.”


“That would be brilliant!” She trills before slowly retreating back into the room.


“Why is she behaving like a turtle?!” Jen whispers. Whilst the question is valid, the fierceness of her tone has me snorting. 


“And why aren’t you a fan?” I ask.


“Estranged mother.” She replies and we both stare at her. “Long story, which I can’t tell you until I’m at least 21”


“Twenty one? Why...ah, it’s gonna take a lot of booze?!” Buffy squeezes her arm.


“A fuckton!” She grimaces before smiling as Mel approaches with a pair of dungarees. “Oh, they had better be for me!”


“Yes, they are!” She laughs as she hands them to her. She inspects them carefully, her smile getting wider. 


“Oh, yes, these are fab, definitely being worn to the picnic!”


“Aren’t you going to try them on first?” Mel asks. “They might need tailoring; not sure there will be someone who can turn them around within a week. Vintage needs specialist tailoring, so as to not ruin the original vibe of the outfit.” 


“Original vibe?” Pearl laughs whilst Jewel finger snaps. “Didn’t I tell you that she’d be good for her Jen?”


“Yes you did. And Mom, that’s true, I’ll try them on when I get home. You’ve got a returns policy, don’t you?”


“Oh, Jen, they look lovely!” Lindsay calls out before I can answer. “And Mel, darling, you’re right, you need to get the right vibe. Why don’t you…”


“I want to try it on with a top that’s at home first.” 


“I see. Lynette, where did you say you dropped Gus off? I had hoped to speak to him today.”


“At Hunter’s. He wanted some help with lunch.” Lynette replies.


“Lunch? Who are they cooking for?” She laughs, but it sounds like she’s mocking them, so my contempt deepens.


“His parents.” Lynette returns, but her smile is full of warmth. “We had to swing by Diamonds and get some supplies. Zach got the…”


“Hunter’s parents? I didn't think he knew who his mother was?” She steps out of the changing room; as Jen’s eyes grow comical in size, a quick arm-squeeze from Buffy silences whatever she was going to say.


“He’s always known who his mom is.” Mel grins. “Have to admit, it was a surprise to me, but I can see where he gets his chutzpah from!”


“You’ve met her, what’s she like?” Lindsay asks as she turns to admire herself again.


“We all have. She’s lovely and gorgeous. It's Leda.” Lynette states; we all suppress our laughter as Lindsay turns around so quickly she ends up on the floor.


“Let me help you up…” Lynette insists. “...you’ve not injured yourself, have you?”


“No, no...I’m fine.” Lindsay bats her away. “Leda, you say?”


“Yes, and she’s coming tonight as well.”


“Oh great, I look forward to it.” Lindsay grits out.


Buffy and I exchange looks, oh yeah wherever they’re going to be tonight, so are we!


HUNTER’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER


DINING ROOM


HUNTER


I look from my folks to Gus. I can’t think of anything to say apart from ‘wow’. “Why are you telling me now?”


“Secrets, as you’ve seen, have a habit of coming out.” Mom replies. “We’ve wanted to tell you for a while, but there just didn’t seem to be the right time. And now that I’m moving to Pittsburgh permanently…”


“What?! When is this happening?!” I am delighted.


“In a month.” Whilst she looks relieved there is also worry. “You’re sure you’re not mad about...”


“No, just don’t understand why you said AI, when you slept together to get me.”


“I’d just come out to my family; they said it was a phase....” Dad begins. “...very unsupportive. Can you imagine how they would be when I told them that? Your grandfathers would’ve pressured us to marry, which neither of us wanted, so we said AI.”


“Well, I don’t care how I came to be, I’m just glad you’re my folks.” I beam at them, then look at the lunch spread Gus and I prepared. “So which one of you is gonna to take responsibility for my inability to cook?!”




Eons Fashion Antique: https://www.facebook.com/Eons-Fashion-Antique-91920114235/

French hot chocolate: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/french-hot-chocolate-recipe/

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing please be kind and constructive. Thanks.