- Text Size +

CHAPTER 47 - LOVE FROM AFAR


CLOTHED MINDED - FOUR HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


I put another load of shirts in his arms, he lets out another sigh. “Michael, are we going to actually try any of these things on?”


“We? What do you mean we? You’re not shopping are you, this is my day, remember? You can come back and…” When the door opens I spot Reva and quickly drag him behind the mirror, he tries to get out of my grasp. “George, stop it! Reva’s coming!” 


I take a peek; the world and his wife are with her, and, judging by the giggling, they’ve been on the sauce! As they gaggle like geese to the counter the place is awash with their shrill chatter.


“Okay, before we settle on our purchases...” Reva hiccups then giggles. “...we need to settle on where it’s happening, now that we’ve cancelled...”


“Cancelled the picnic; when did that happen? Lindsay demands. “I don’t recall hearing that over lunch?”


“You were refreshing your lipstick; and it’s not the picnic.” Reva answers before looking at the door. “Do you think they’re going to be much longer?” She frowns. “Whatever it is, they are looking very serious, well Mel does…”


“Mel’s not mentioned that she’s got any worries to me.” Lindsay interrupts.


“Why would she? You’re no longer together.” Leda snickers, which of course pisses Lindsay off. “They will be another five or so minutes. And the news will be good for some.” 


“Who’s that again? Wasn’t she at the dinner in Woody’s?” George whispers.


“Yeah, that’s Leda, she’s Mel’s very close ex.” I reply. “Personally, I always thought there was some unfinished business there.” I push him further back. “Let’s make like we’re surprised to…”


“Jewel! I can’t believe you did that!” The old guy from the dinner exclaims as he stands in the doorway. “Mel, are you okay?” He asks over his shoulder, I can’t hear what she says but suddenly Jenny runs outside.


“Blither, she was taking far too long! It's sorted, she wanted it. she sorted it, job done!” Leda laughs as Jewel puts a phone in her pocket. “Like me, Jewel doesn't like faffing about when it comes to business. Although I suspect she will be happy with Mel taking as much time as she wants in bed later when she says thank you!”


“Oh yuck!” I grumble whilst George rolls his eyes.


“What’s happened?” Lindsay asks, glaring at Leda, who in turn looks unbothered.


LINDSAY


All except Emmett, who looks amused, are confused. Leda joins Daphne  behind the counter to help her and the owner make coffee. Thankfully, Zach has stopped simpering over Lynette like he was all during lunch - I still maintain that people who have to make a show of their relationship, don’t have one! 


“Come on, do share the news, Jewel.” I smile, which she doesn’t return. What do I have to do to get in her good graces?!


“Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, I shall leave the rest unsaid. Now, Dad, you need to channel your inner grandpa and say yes to my rather fine ‘dress’. Pearl, you and yours, front and centre, please!” She and the boys warily approach. “So, your birthday party needs to be relocated as we said at lunch. On the way here, your Dad  and I had a rather inspired idea...drum roll, please!” They behave like a percussion section. “Since Dad knows the guy that's hosting Justin’s show, which is going to be in three months, same time as your birthday. How would you feel about holding it in…”


“The vineyards!” ‘Pearl squeaks. “Seriously, Mom, Gramps, the vineyards?!”


“Yes, what an excellent idea. Let me see I do believe I can arrange a supervised wine tasting. You can reconnect with your friends over...ugh! I’ve just eaten! Release my stomach!” He grumbles whilst ruffling Pearl’s hair. “You approve?” She nods into his chest. “Good, now that does present an age restriction issue, so nobody under the age of 16...”  


“Except Jenny!” Pearl declares tearfully.


“Obviously, I’ve cleared that with her Dad, you silly goose!” Emmett rubs her back whilst handing her a tissue. “And Drew will be coming as well. According to those in the know, there’s enough room for horse riding, and he knows people who…”


“Mom! We need to book us all lessons!” Stefan orders once he, Gus and Hunter have stopped jumping up and down. “I’ve never been to Cali before! This is going to be so fantastic, and…”


“California? I thought your vineyards were…”


“Too hot, and the ground is too hard, Lindsay.” Lynette interrupts. “If you were going to say about Zach’s vineyards being where Jewel and he resided, I can’t wait to see it.” I smart from the besting and the smirks on some faces. “Yours must be better than when we Fingered...oh no, that's not what...”


Most are amused, but Zach is looking embarrassed. Time for me to save his blushes. “I think you should have the first lot of coffee, Lynette, you seem to have lost some decorum.” I whisper just loud enough for her and Zach to hear. I don’t want to totally humiliate her after all, no doubt she will present more opportunities.


“There’s no need for Lynnie to have coffee, Lindsay, she’s not being saucy. She’s merely repeating their advertising hook: "If you’ve lingered at Finger, you can tell the world you’ve been Fingered. It’s an adult only resort, obviously.”


“Is that on a tee shirt?” Emmett giggles. “If not, it should be!” He turns to me. “Never had you down as being so prudish considering your history.” 


“Gus, Hunter, Pearl get out here!” Jenny hollers whilst we wait for their return  Mel and Jewel smoulder at each other. How uncouth! After five minutes they return, Pearl looks at Jewel with pride.”I know, right! She’s just perfect, your Mom, just perfect!”


“We know this, but what we don’t know is why?” Emmett declares.


Jewel smiles. “It’s not time yet, just waiting for another…” She’s interrupted by her phone ringing. With a wink at Mel, she strides out, signalling Daphne as she goes.


MICHAEL


What the hell is going on?! I pull  us towards the changing rooms. “Put them over there!” I hiss, having spotted the way out. “Come on, let’s go.”


“Go? I want to find out what’s going on.” He hisses back. 


“Me too, but we need to play this well. See…” I gesture behind him. “...Reva’s leaving!” 


“Which has what…”


“She’s not going to let them say anything if we join them! This way, we get to find out something. And judging by the way those kids are reacting, it’s something to do with Mel and Jewel.”


“And why does that interest you?” He scowls.


“She conned me for years pretending that I was Jenny’s father, and I’m going to get her back for it!”


He looks surprised; I know what he’s thinking. Yes, I got my money back, but that's not the point. She lied to me, and I don’t like that. “Let’s go!” 


JEWEL


I keep my face impassive upon my return, but give Emmett a quick look. He rolls his eyes angrily. Those two idiots are truly pathetic. I saw them skulking in the back the moment we came in. I’m looking forward to the bomb that’s about to be dropped on those three, the question is how do they react, and whose side will she be on? 


“Where’d Dad and Lynnie go?” I frown, having not seen them pass me.


“They have an appointment together.” Lindsay sniffs, eyes flashing with jealousy. “Is Daphne not coming back?” I shake my head. “We’re an ever diminishing group with Reva and Sally-Ann having to go too. Oh well, never, mind, now I don’t know about anyone else, but the suspense is killing me…” She twitters. “...they’ll miss the news, but I…”


“Jenny will catch her sister up soon enough.” I interrupt; she masks her surprised look by nodding. 


“Yes, it’s wonderful how the three of them have gotten so close in such a short time. They make such a nice little clique.”


“It’s not a clique.” Jenny clips out. “Cliques are only formed by people who want to restrict their circle to people who show similar, and sometimes dubious, interests. Like Michael and George for example…” I bit the inside of my lip, that couldn’t have been more perfectly timed as they enter. “...oh, speak of the devils. What are you two doing here?”


“Just passing. I saw you, wanted to say hello.” Michael smarms. “Enjoying a mother and child day?” 


“We were.” Jenny mutters. 


“Hi, Lindsay, didn’t see you there!” Michael makes a big thing of greeting her with a kiss on her cheek then remains by her side. “So, have you bought anything from here? It looks like an interesting place.” He looks around. “So have you?” 


“Yes, we’re just waiting to ring them up...” Leda replies. “...although we might be a little longer, as…”


Right on cue, Ben and Brandon come in, Michael’s face falls and darkens as he takes in their closeness. I hide my smile when Ems comes back with an armful of clothes, I recognise at least one shirt! “Brandon, darling! What do you think?”


“That is gorgeous.” He pulls out a blue one, and holds it up against himself. “This with the grey suede jacket that Brian doesn’t like?” Ben snickers, then shakes his head. “Okay, he does like it, but if me, you and Justin work together, I can get it off him. It’s a better colour on me.” 


“Brian doesn’t give up anything he doesn’t want to.” I state. “Which is why he and Justin are officially a couple. And the only person getting that jacket is Justin, he’s already turned back the cuffs in readiness.”


“What? When did that happen?” Ben grins as he holds another shirt from the pile against himself. “Do you have this in a larger size?” He calls out to the hovering assistant. With a nod, he scurries to find it. “So when?”


“Last night. They’d just finished making a salad cough-cough. It must be love though. Okay, he was going to sponsor Justin’s show anyway, but I think they’re in it for the long haul.” Ems continues to rifle and pull out items. “Brandon, try on these two, you need to make sure it hangs right. The changing rooms are back there. Ben, go with him, I’ll send the assistant your way.” 


“How do you know all of this?” Michael scowls at their retreating backs.. 


“Friends talk, especially when there’s happy news to share.” I return. We all start chuckling when there’s a squeak of surprise, followed by a slap, then an almost sternly clipped out ‘behave!’. “Boys! You’ve got the house for that!” 


“Don’t you mean the loft?” Michael snipes.


“No, they’re moving to the house.” Leda grins. “Then…”


“So the loft is now free? I could move into it then?” Michael is reaching for his phone.


“Not a hope in hell! Especially since Mom’s got it!” Jenny declares. “She’s going to use it as a base in town.”


“What?!” Michael gasps, but it’s the look on George’s face that gets me: he looks sickened, actually more so since he heard that Justin and Brian are a couple. I'm not the only one to notice.  


“How much rent is he charging you?” Michael demands. “I can pay him extra, I know what you earn and it’s not much.” He sneers. 


Mentally I sit on my hands. “You’d have to pay her, since she’s not renting it. Suspect he’s going to put it in...”


“Justin’s show? Why is Brian sponsoring that?” Lindsay frowns as she comes back,  having been, once more refreshing her lipstick; and judging by that question, timing her entrance perfectly


“Because he’s his boyfriend and he wants to be supportive of course! I can’t wait to see what he’s going to paint.” Gus enthuses. “I’m so glad he’s renting it out, it makes more sense for him to have it here now.”


“Renting out what?” Lindsay is beginning to get frustrated...good!


“His studio in California. He’s going to rent it out now instead of leaving it empty.” Gus explains as he flicks through the rack; he picks out a tee. “Momma, what do you think?” 


“Before you answer that, Mel, how are you not renting Brian’s loft?” Michael carps.


“Because it’s her loft, obviously. She bought it.” I kiss Mel’s cheek. “That’s what she was procrastinating about earlier. Wasn’t sure if she should. Like Leda said, the problem got sorted. It’s in a prime spot for her practice and the pro-bono work she is going to do. Given his wish to dispense with all vestiges of his past, it’s a win-win for both of them.”


“Alright, alright, you’ve made your excellent point!” Mel laughs. “As for the tee, add it to the pile.” 


“Thanks, Momma! Come on, Stefan, Hunter...let’s see what else I can persuade her to buy!” Gus orders, and they swiftly disappear. At my quick look, Pearl and Jenny follow, the latter flicking Michael the bird as she passes!


I’ve never seen two people look so utterly staggered in my life; I’m hoping that they will take this news and digest it elsewhere, but judging by his mewlish look, this is not going to happen.


“How the hell have you managed that, Mel? Been hiding money away, have you? Is it yours, or some unreturned, falsely obtained support money? If the latter, wouldn’t that make the loft mine?” His laughter sounds like nails on a blackboard; he stops when I straighten up. “I was joking, must you take everything so seriously?!”


“The only funny thing about you is your bedroom skills, Wormy!” Emmett snaps. “Or should that be boys?!” George goes pale, but remains silent. “Listen, you’ve upset Jenny, who’s my goddaughter and Pearl’s best friend. You tried to hit on Justin whilst you had a boyfriend, check that, in front of your boyfriend. I’ve already shown you how much I dislike you over Ted, why oh why would you start on the girlfriend of my best friend, who's the mother of my child?”


Michael starts to shift and go red. “I apologise.”


“Why?” Emmett asks. “Why are you apologising? Is it because you’re sorry and it’s the right thing to do, or because you’re scared she will kick seven bells of shit out of you?” 


“Come on, George, let’s go. Our presence is clearly upsetting, which was not my intention.” 


“Speaking of those, what was your intention?” He turns to George. “Why did you use Brian’s surname at the clinic?”


“Emmett?” Leda begins. “What’s the deal here?” 


“Michael used Carl’s surname, and this fellow sufferer used Brian’s to get themselves what little anonymity they could. Using Carl’s name, I could understand because he’s a hateful ingrate, but you I could not get. There was no need to bring Brian into this. I get like a curious kitten when things don’t align.” He levels his gaze at George. “But I will turn into a fearsome alley cat ih a flash. So why did you do it?”


“I don’t know what you are talking about!” George splutters; but he and Michael share one thing in common: the ‘caught’ look. “The receptionist made a mistake! I don’t even know…”


“Brian came to me when his phone started to blow up. I’ve put out feelers. Been getting some interesting answers. I’m giving you another chance, tell us now or have someone pray for you.”


“Okay, which one of you has done that to Emmett’s face?” Brandon demands. He stands in front of Michael and George. “Answer me. Which one of you has upset Ems?”


LINDSAY


Neither of them speak. I need to defuse the situation, as I know that expression, having been on the receiving end of it a few times. Emmett, much to my great annoyance, has been a ferocious line of defence for Gus. He doesn’t defend him much, as Brian always takes Gus’s side against me, but when Emmett gets in front of someone, he is immovable.


“Michael made an off the cuff remark to Mel about the loft that...”


“I heard what he said. And since they were never close enough for her finances to be something he would be aware of, it makes me think that someone else has been talking.” Ben turns to me. “You wouldn’t have done that, would you?”


“Leave Lindsay out of this, Ben!” Michael snarls. “She wasn't the one that lied to me about being a father!”


“You were giving up your rights, before you found that out!” Emmett barks. “And, Lindsay, given your squatting habit, I’d thought you’d be upset too, or are you more concerned with your plans for the barn being thwarted?”


“Barn? What about Gus’s barn, it…”


“Not his, the one opposite.”


“What about it?” I frown, once more on the backfoot.


“It’s going to be Justin’s studio. He’s going to use the blood money he got from Ethan’s family to be better than ever.” Jewel crows.


MICHAEL


I can’t believe it! Mel has the loft and what’s this about that gold digger getting money from Ethan?!


“Justin is going to be using that barn, why is Brian letting him do that?!” Lindsay demands. “I don’t understand, and why would Ethan give him money?”


“You’d need to speak to Brian about the barn. Can’t wait to see how that conversation goes between the two of you.” Brandon sneers. “And as for Ethan, you’re going to need a medium to ask him about that!”


GRACE AND REVA’S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


REVA


I stare at Mom, this can’t be happening! “Say that again?”


“Your father called....” Mom tops up her drink. “...he wants to come and see you. Seems he’s been visiting a family friend.”


“I don’t want to see him!” I spit. 


“You will go and see him. In fact, we all will.” Mom’s expression is confusing.


“What do you mean? Who’s this friend?” I brace myself because that look is never good.


“Joan, the ex of Carl, and wannabe replacement to Debs.”


“Okay, still not understanding why I should have to suffer the Testicle’s company.” I grumble.


“Because the more people around him, the better.” 


“Mom, what’s…” She hands me her phone, there’s a voicemail message. I listen to  it...twice. I can’t quite take this on board.  “Who is this guy who left the message?”


“A private detective. I’ve always kept an eye on him, you know that. I remember at the dinner, he had that look on his face, Matthew kept staring.” She tops up both our glasses. “I’d seen that look once, when he first met me.”


“But...is this guy sure?”

 

“Yes, he’s sure.” Mom sighs rubbing her temple. “It makes sense, the angle of his look, it makes sense. It never wavered; for years she’s thought it was her, they both did, but it's not, it’s Carl. He’s in love with Carl. And has been since school.”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx