- Text Size +

Brian enjoyed the closeness that lovemaking brought and regretted that it had taken him so long to admit his love for Justin.  He would never willingly admit that he regretted anything, but if pressed, he would admit that he was sorry how he'd treated Justin in their early years and that he hadn't been more supportive.  He wished that he didn't have to show his support by providing protection to his partner, but as he'd learned so painfully in the past few years, we didn't get to choose everything that happened in our lives.  

When the caller ID identified Carol his body went on alert.  He felt his heart beating as fast as it had an hour ago when he and Justin were in the deep throws of lovemaking and his neck tensed as he felt the vague beginnings of a headache in the making.  Stepping out of their room, he gently closed the door, trying to avoid waking Justin up from his much needed nap.

Brian listened carefully as Carol reviewed the conversation she had with Peter Helio.  He wrote some notes and nodded his head as he listened.  About mid-way through the conversation, he saw the door open and Justin look at him, watching as the frown lines around his mouth deepened and his eyebrows furrowed.  Justin recognized that look, it was the one he made when he wasn't pleased with the information he was hearing.  He wondered who could be on the phone.  Brian appeared disturbed, his body on alert and Justin mouthed "What" but Brian shook his head.  Justin walked toward Brian, stopping a few feet away as he heard the tail end of the conversation.

"Thank you, Carol.  Let me know if you get any more information."  Brian pushed the end button on his phone and ran his hand through his hair several times, then pinched the bridge of his nose before turning toward Justin.  

"Why is Carol calling you this late in the evening?  Did something happen at the exhibit?  Oh, no!!  Tell me nothing happened at the gallery.  I can't handle any more problems."  Justin slid down the wall, bending his knees to his chest and lowering his head into them.  He started to hyperventilate and Brian dropped down beside him and hugged him close. The sound of a siren was faintly heard through the thick window panes.  The flashing lights illuminated the street for a moment as an emergency vehicle raced to its destination.

Brian took his face in his hand, turning it towards him and speaking in a soft voice.  "Nothing happened to your show.  All the pieces are fine."  Brian said, assuring Justin who was starting to queen out. He could feel the muscles in Justin's torso tighten and hear the shallow breaths as his body reacted to its fears.

Justin raised his head and turned to look at Brian, his face filled with questions he was too afraid to ask "Why did she call?"

Brian reached out to hold Justin's hands and gave him a gentle kiss.  The blower from the furnace kicked on and blew a blast of air in their direction. Neither of them felt the warmth as they were chilled from other sources.

"There was a visitor to the gallery this afternoon," Brian said, gently leading up to Carol's revelation.

"Brian, there are many visitors to the gallery; that is why I have shows.  What's your point?"  Justin's impatience was evident as he crossed and uncrossed his legs, pulling away from Brian slightly.

"He came to see the exhibit to see if you actually existed."

"Of course I exist. Why would someone come to the gallery to see my show if he didn't think I existed?  You're talking in riddles and I'm losing patience.  Something Carol said spooked you; just tell me what has you so worried!"

Brian gave Justin another kiss on his head, just above where the bat hit him many years ago.  It was a gesture Justin found endearing; Brian's way of acknowledging the bashing without talking about the obvious.  Assuring himself that Justin was okay and still there with him, Brian continued sharing Carol's conversation.  "The man has a friend who told him the two of you were involved."  Brian spoke very softly, hoping Justin wouldn't fly off the handle and they could talk about this latest piece of information. 

Justin leapt up off the floor and hit the wall with his hand.  "What the Fuck!!   I didn't..."  Justin became very quiet and looked at his partner.  "You don't be..."

Brian's hopes of keeping Justin calm were gone; now it was Brian's job to support Justin in whatever way necessary. Brian got up off the floor, walking quickly to Justin and wrapped his arms around him from behind, squeezing gently as he tried to calm his partner.

"No.  I know you didn't do that.  Evidently, this guy's friend has been acting a little off and he confronted him.  He told him that he met you at your last opening and you two hit it off.  Then you asked him to come to the Pitts so you could get to know him better.  It didn't sound right to his friend so he decided to check out your exhibit at June Kelly.  Luckily, Carol was there and sensed the need to listen and discuss their concerns."

"That is supremely creepy.  Think he is the same guy who sent the pictures?"

"Undoubtedly.  John, that is the stalker's name, told his friend that you invited him back here to be the subject of your next piece.  He plans on coming back here sometime next week."

"Oh.  Shit!   Can't we do something?"  Justin looked at Brian for guidance.  Walking to the living area, he went to the liquor cabinet and poured himself a shot of Beam.  Knocking it back quickly he poured another shot and drank it as well.  Holding the bottle in his hand, he looked at it as if it held the answers to his problems.

Brian gently removed the bottle from Justin and poured himself a shot, quickly downing it. Placing the glass on the top of the cabinet and returning the bottle to the interior, he grabbed Justin's hand and led him to the couch. The ice maker hummed and a few ice cubes fell into the tray.  Brian reached over and switched on a light, keeping it on the first setting, providing illumination to the room without glare.  Looking into Justin's face, he hated what he saw there; the fear, the anger and the confusion from his past decisions haunting his present life.

"It's totally fucked, but getting shit faced isn't the answer," Brian said as he took the glass from Justin, placing it on the table.

Justin laughed.  "That's priceless coming from the king of pain management.  So, what do I do?  I can't just let this guy come looking for me."

"Well, now that we have a name, we can get a restraining order for him.  In the meantime, I don't want you alone.  This guy is delusional, he could do anything.  He thinks you invited him here and judging from the notes he left with the pictures he sent, he thinks that you two are together."

"But those pictures are from when I was dancing."  Justin rubbed his hands together and tapped his mouth with his index fingers.  "I promise I have never gone out with this guy.  You believe me, don't you Brian?"  It scared Justin to think that Brian had any doubts regarding his supposed relationship with this creep.

Brian leaned over and hugged Justin, kissing him on the lips, as he swiped his tongue over the dark red surface.  Opening up to the invitation, Justin kissed Brian back, the kiss giving him the reassurance he so desperately needed at this point in time.  Brian was his, he was Brian's, and he believed in them.  He felt himself relax into the kiss and wrapped his arms around Brian's neck.  The kiss continued for a minute, but then Brian pulled away.

"Of course I believe you. I just said this guy is delusional; he's living in a fantasy world that his mind created. According to Peter, John's friend, you were the entertainment for his birthday a few years back.  Evidently, that is where the pictures came from.  You performed your little dance number for him and he took it a little too seriously."

"But Brian, I haven't danced in over 3 years."  Justin scrubbed his face with both hands.

"I know.  Justin, I really think you need to come out to the public about your dancing.  It will solve a lot of future entanglements.  I spoke with Carol about it the other day and she agreed.  The next guy who finds pictures may not think you are his boyfriend, but want to give them to the press.  If you tell the press now, it will hopefully prevent any further issues."

"But Brian.  What about your clients?"

"Justin, don't worry about my clients.  It's not like you were doing drugs or were prostituting yourself.  You were making an honest living. You were working to support yourself."

"Are you sure?"

"Justin, I'm sure.  And if I lose a few clients, as a result, screw them.  Your safety and peace of mind is worth more than anything I could make from any client. I could close Kinnetik tomorrow and support us both for many years to come,"  Brian hugged Justin and kissed him again, this time on the lips.

Justin returned the kiss and smiled a half smile.

"If you really think so.  I'll do it.  But how do I do it?"

"I'm sure Carol could help and I bet Tim Callen would be willing to help."

"I forgot about him.  I think you're right.  He always seemed to be very supportive of my career."

"And he already knows about the dancing.  He can be trusted."  Brian got up from the couch and grabbed the TV control.  "There's nothing we can do tonight.  In the morning we'll call Melanie and Carl to address the legal stuff.  Carol can contact Tim to set up something as well."  He flicked on the set and clicked on Netflix.  "Let's catch up on Defiance.  That show has some really creepy characters that aren't even human.  Datak reminds me of a cross between an undead zombie and Riff Raff from Rocky Horror every time I see him."

"I'm impressed.  I didn't think you were paying attention the last time we watched."

"Oh yeah, I pay attention.  I see you salivate every time a commercial comes on and they show the animated characters in the game.  I see your mind moving trying to figure out how you can get Rage into online gaming mode."

"You know me so well."  Justin laughed at Brian's words but knew them to be true.  "Wouldn't it be cool to be able to animate Rage like that?"

"Twat.  It's bad enough that there is a comic book with me as a hero.  I'd never live it down if I were an online personality too.  Now come here and let's watch some creepy aliens."  Brian opened his legs for Justin to sit between them and Justin scooted over.

 "Okay."  Justin agreed.

 

 

They both rose early; worried about the upcoming events, but neither talked about them as they showered and completed their morning rituals.  Brian went to the kitchen to fix some coffee and Justin joined him making eggs and toast.  They read the paper as they ate breakfast.

"Do you really think that telling the public is the way to go?" Justin asked, still wrestling with the decision.

"Yes.  Why don't we call Carol?  You can talk to her."

They called Carol and her assistant came on again.  This time when Brian announced who he was, she told him to hold and then Carol picked up the phone a few minutes later.

"Brian. Good Morning.  Is Justin there?  Have you told him about John?"

Brian pushed the phone's speaker button so they could both hear the conversation.

"Hi Carol,"  Justin said.  "Brian told me.  Do you think I could talk to John's friend?  Maybe it's all a mistake."

"I have his information, but I don't think it's a mistake, Justin.  His friend's name is Peter Helio and he was very worried about John.  His number is 555-4444.  He said I could contact him.  It might be a good idea to call him and share your side of the story.  He told me his partner is a therapist.  Maybe he could provide some insight as well."

"I'll call him.  My best friend is a therapist as well.  I've been thinking of talking to her too."

"Great.  He seems really concerned and I am too.  Justin, I think this guy could be really dangerous." Carol looked at her notes from last night and picked up her Rolodex.  

"Justin, Brian and I were discussing a news conference or interview for you to share your dancing career with the public.  I've taken the liberty of talking to Tim Callen this morning and he agreed that it would be a good idea.  I can set up something with him if you'd like.  He could interview you and then write a quick piece for publication.  With the way the tabloids pick news up these days, it would be out in public in less than 24 hours."

"I guess," Justin said, resigned to his fate.

"Carol, do you think that putting that information out there would escalate things with John?"

"I'm not a crime specialist or a therapist.  You might want to check with other people who are."

"My second mom's husband is a cop.  I'll talk to him and my friend; I'm sure they'll help out."  Justin rounded his shoulders and looked down at the table, studying the crumbs from his breakfast toast as he thought of the upcoming discussions.  Daphne knew about his dancing, but Carl did not.  He liked Carl and didn't want to be embarrassed in front of him.  He wondered again why he ever thought it was a good idea to support himself by exotic dancing.

"Just say the word and I'll call Tim.  Brian, are you still there?"

"Sure, Carol. What can I do for you?"

"Peter seemed to think John would be returning to Pittsburgh next week.  I'm worried about Justin's safety. Can you see that he isn't alone?  Who knows what is going on in his mind?  He might come to your home or go to the studio.  I'd feel better knowing Justin wasn't by himself."

 "I said something to him to that effect earlier, but he was reluctant.  Now he might think about my suggestion."

"I'm right here, guys," Justin said as he scowled at Brian. "I'll talk to Mel and Carl. See what they say and if they think it's a good idea, then I'll do it."

"We'll keep you informed and you might talk to Tim to give him a head's up."

"I'll have him call you this afternoon.  Is that good, Justin?"

Justin nodded his head, but then remembered he was on speaker phone.  "Yes.  It appears that I'll be under lock and key until this thing is over," he said, biting his lower lip in frustration.

"You're not a prisoner, Justin.  We just want you safe," Brian said as he leaned over to kiss Justin lightly on the lips.  "We'll let you go, Carol.  We have a lot of people to talk to." 

"Bye, Justin.  Bye Brian.  I'll be talking to you this evening for an update."

They hung up the phone and Justin looked at Brian.  Picking up the breakfast dishes, he placed them in the dishwasher. 

"I'm taking a shower.  Want to join me?  I'll be protected if you're there," he said, the anger in his voice evident but the neediness came through as well.

Brian didn't answer but slapped Justin's ass as he walked toward their bedroom.

 

TBC