- Text Size +

 

Brian sat in the interview with the third candidate; his mind wandering to Justin, the stalker, Tim's interview, his inability to paint as well as their recent discussions of a child. So much had happened in their lives since Justin had gone to New York.  If he hadn't been so adamant about supporting himself and not asking me for money, some of the pitfalls might have been avoided.  However; I'm a firm believer in no apologies, no regrets and they could no more turn back time then Cher could.  What the fuck, when did I quote lyrics by Cher?

If Justin hadn't been strip dancing, I might not have seen him at that damn birthday party.  And if I had been less shocked, I might have drug Justin out of there and talked to him right in front of the restaurant.  Of course, if I had done that, he would have never forgiven me.  I guess I handled that scenario well.  Still, had he not been in such a hurry to see me and set things right, he might not have taken that damn cab and gotten hit.  There were too many ifs in the world and no amount of retrospective thinking could change the outcomes of the events.  It was what it was.  Still he was here supposedly interviewing a prospective employee for Kinnetik while Justin was floundering trying to figure out his life.  There was something really wrong with that picture, but I'm at a loss what to do to help him. 

Would a child help him?  Would it help him forget his problems?  Of course, a child takes time to grow and be born and who knows what our lives would be like. We would have to find someone to have the child and then she would need to get pregnant.  By the time the baby arrived, our lives could be so different and where would Justin be?  I don't think the idea of having a child is going to resolve Justin's angst at this moment.  A child may be in the future, but it might not.  Too many variables to answer that question. 

Justin would make a good father.  I've watched him with Gus all these years and unlike me, he had a loving father for many years.  Too bad, that asshole Craig gave up on him when he said he was gay.  What a horrible father, to throw your kid away like that.  But who am I kidding?  My old man wasn't the poster child for father of the year either.  Hell he wished I was dying instead of him when he found out I was gay.  What kind of father wishes his own child dead?  Of course, dear old Dad never wanted me to be born anyway, so at least he was consistent.

Crap.  I need to pay attention.  Cynthia will have my ball if she knew where my mind was at this moment. Especially when I insisted that I be here for these interviews.

  "...Brian, do you have any questions for Calvin?" Cynthia asked a second time.

Hearing his name brought him out of his contemplation and he shook his head to clear the images there.  "Calvin, where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Taken a little aback as he thought he'd covered that topic, Calvin sat up and looked at Brian.

"I love the idea of working for a small company and would love to help it expand to other markets.  I don't want to work for a large advertising agency where I'm one of 30 executives, but would rather make an impression with the best agency in town."

Brian said, "Thank you for your time.  We will be interviewing several other candidates and making our decision within a week."  Brian stood up to walk Calvin to the door and returned to his chair.

"Bri, why did you ask Calvin that question?  We covered that information in the first part of the interview," Ted asked, feeling comfortable questioning his boss and close friend.

"I just wanted to see if he would answer the same way," Brian snapped.

"Calm down.  I know you have a lot on your mind.  Do you want to sit out the last interview?  Cynthia and I have a good handle on the candidates."

"Theodore, I most certainly do not want to "sit out" the last interview.  This is my company and we are hiring a creative person.  I will be part of the process," Brian said with a tone that meant there was no discussion needed.

"Okay.  We have one more candidate.  His name is John Scott and his resume is very impressive." Even though Brian and Cynthia had seen the information previously, Ted handed both of them folders with John's portfolio and resume as he left the room to get him.

Brian was preoccupied with chastising himself for his lapse in concentration and just nodded toward Ted.

________________________________________________________

John entered Kinnetik and introduced himself to Sally, the receptionist.  She pointed to the side chairs and told him he would be called when they were ready for him. 

John took out his portfolio and reviewed his projects, especially the last few he had completed for Organza.  Organza was a new and innovative company in the Pittsburgh area and he knew the idea of wearable tech was up and coming.  He thought his ideas for their latest campaign were above average and so did Darren, his boss.  He couldn't share the campaign with Kinnetik, but he could share some of the other campaigns he'd been a part of.  He knew he was a strong candidate for the job and just had a feeling that this was an omen.

He'd been chosen to interview with Brian's company.  It would give him the ultimate opportunity to get close to Brian and see Justin while Brian was running the company.  He envisioned renewing his relationship with Justin while he worked at Kinnetik.  He was sorry that he'd been unavailable and Justin had turned to Brian for comfort.  He hoped Justin would forgive him for this lapse.

He could see them together.  Justin would continue his career in art, showcasing his work in New York and other markets.  With his new position, he would be close to his love and they would be the talk of the art world as well as the advertising community.  Together they would develop the highest caliber campaigns that were sure to win many Clio's as well as receive international recognition. 

It all seemed to make perfect sense and their lives flowed together seamlessly.  He didn't see the obvious flaws in his plan, mainly that Justin had no idea who he was and he was in a relationship with Brian. 

He looked around the lobby, recognizing several paintings as Justin's work.  His partner was so talented.   _________________________________________________________  

Justin drove to Kinnetik, parking his car in the adjacent lot.  Buttoning his coat against the sudden increase in wind, he shivered at the cold.  Walking into the building, he stopped at the front lobby to talk to Sally, the new receptionist. There was a man dressed in what appeared to be interview clothes sitting in the waiting room and he decided he was the last candidate for today. 

Appearing to have timed his entrance well, he said quietly, "Hi Sally.  Are they still in their interviews?"

"Hi Justin.  They just finished their fourth candidate and have one more to go." She smiled at Justin as he was always courteous when he came in the building.  She thought he and Brian made a great couple.  She also knew that Brian was always in a good mood when Justin was around.

"Okay.  Let Brian know I'm in his office."  Justin started walking toward the back where Brian's office was located when he heard his name called.

"Justin.  I'm so glad to see you.  I wasn't expecting you here today.  I thought we agreed that we would meet tonight," John said as he walked toward Justin.

John came up from behind and engulfed Justin in a hug before he could turn around to see who was addressing him.  Kissing his neck, he inhaled the scent of Justin's shampoo and body wash. 

"You smell wonderful.  I've missed this so much."

Justin pulled away from John, yelling "Who are you? Get off me!!"

Sally heard the commotion as did Brian, Cynthia and Ted. They came running out from the conference room where they found Justin struggling with a man in the lobby.

Ted immediately assisted Brian to extricate Justin from the man while Sally called the police.

"Justin, my love, I've missed you so much.  I know we're supposed to meet tonight, but when I saw you there, I just had to..."

"Freak.  Get away from me!!!," Justin yelled as he backed away toward the couch, unable to take his eyes off this stranger.

"I know we talked about you leaving Brian and giving him time to adjust, but I just couldn't wait," John continued talking as he watched Justin's retreat.

"I love you so much.  Tell these guys to let me go and we can leave here, celebrate our reunion."  John struggled against the hold that Brian and Ted had on his arms.

Realization came to all of them as they listened to John.  This man was the stalker.  He was the man who had sent Justin and Brian those pictures.

"Bri,... I didn't realize..." Ted said

"He's from New York.  He was going to apply for a job with my company and I would have...." Brian said.

"Brian, I talked to this guy at my last opening, even invited him to the after hours dinner," Justin said as he recognized John.  He shivered as a cold chill ran through his body. 

The police arrived and were led to the area where Brian and Ted were still holding back John.

"What seems to be the problem, gentleman?" The officer looked at the scene and found it a little odd. The man who was being held was in a suit, appeared to be a professional and the two men holding him were also in business dress.  A fourth man was dressed in very casual attire of khakis and a hoodie and was staring at the other three men.  He also was a little pale, like he was slightly in shock.

"This man is delusional, thinks he's in a relationship with my partner," Brian said, the venom evident in his voice.

"Why are you holding him?" the officer asked.  "Did he attack someone?"

"He attacked my partner, right here in the lobby."

The officer looked at the young man in Khakis and then back at the man being held. 

"Sir, were you attacked by this man?" he asked as he pointed to John.

"Yes.  He was hugging me and...." Justin ran his hand across his face and started backing up toward the couch.  He felt very cold and wanted to be wrapped in Brian's arms.

"We have a fucking restraining order against the man.  Is that enough for you to take him away?" Brian said, getting a little tired of trying to explain the situation.  He watched Justin backing up and his eyes were turning glossy.

"A restraining order.  Okay."  The policeman went to John as Brian and Ted released their hold.  He cuffed the man and read him his rights, then led him out to the waiting squad car. 

After the man left, Brian immediately went to Justin who was still sitting on the couch in the lobby.  He was staring into space and Brian recognized the signs of an impending panic attack. 

"Justin," he said softly where almost no one else could hear.  "It's going to be fine.  He can't hurt you.  He's gone.  You're safe.  I'm here."  He engulfed Justin in his arms, not caring that he was sitting in the middle of the lobby of Kinnetik.  After a few minutes, Justin looked up at Brian.

"Brian.  Is he gone?"

"Yeah."

"Can we go home?"

"Sure." He turned toward Ted and said, "I'm leaving."

"Sure, Bri," Ted said and he walked toward Justin mentally ticking off a list of things that needed to be done.

 "I'll get the car.  You stay with Sally and Cynthia and I'll be right back."

They nodded their tacit approval and sat down on either side of Justin while Brian gathered his things and went for his car.

"I'm so sorry, Justin.  I didn't put the two together," Ted said as he waited for Brian.

"S'okay," Justin said, not really registering the conversation.  He was concentrating on holding it together until he and Brian were alone, needing his partner more at this moment than he could remember.  Cynthia reached around Justin with her arms and gave him a hug.  "You're safe here.  Always will be."

Justin nodded his head at the words, but registered the soft tone rather than their message.

Brian came into the building and reached out his hand for Justin, pulling him up to stand.  He led him out of the building, opening the car door for him and watched as he latched the seat belt around his torso.  Brian went to the driver's side and steered the car toward West Virginia.  Justin stared out the window the entire drive home.

They arrived at Britin about 30 minutes later and Brian parked the car in the garage.  Justin walked into the house, sitting at the kitchen table as it was the first place he saw.  Brian hung up his coat. 

"I'm going to change. Want to come upstairs?"

Justin stood up and followed Brian.  Brian quickly changed and motioned for Justin to join him on the bed.  He took the back rest and placed it on the headboard and sat against it.  Opening his legs, Justin sat between them and leaned back against Brian. They remained quiet for a bit, both of their minds racing.

"Why was he at Kinnetik?"

"He was applying for the position in the art department.  I should have recognized the name on the resume."

"The things he said.... I never..."Justin needed Brian to believe him and his innocence in this fiasco.

Brian leaned down and kissed the top of Justin's head and gave him a hug.  "I know."

"I didn't have to do the interview." Regret filling his voice.  "No one needed to know." He thought about the questions Tim had asked a few days ago and his answers.  He'd laid bare his history of stripping for all the world to see, only to see the Stalker caught.  "Why did I listen to you; I could have kept quiet?"

"No.  You needed to do the interview.  This guy was delusional but there could be people who would try to sell your picture to the tabloids or worse.  Gossip columnists are just one story away from exposing anyone's past. You have nothing to hide."

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry is still bullshit, Justin.  You didn't do anything wrong.  I told you that trying to support yourself is no crime.  I should have been more insistent in giving you money.  I knew how much you were struggling."

"I needed to succeed on my terms." Justin wanted Brian to remember why he did what he thought necessary.

"Always stubborn," Brian kissed Justin again, happy to see some spark returning to his partner. "You are a success and you were then too.  The stripping did serve its purpose.  It gave you more time to paint."

Justin nodded his head, thankful that Brian conveniently neglected to reiterate the part about Justin having more time but no interest in painting.  "What do you think will happen to him?"

"Not sure.  I'm no shrink, but it's obvious the man needs help.  We should let Carol know he got caught.  She'll probably call his friend and let him know."

"Probably let the "family" know they can free their lives up to not ‘Justin' sit," Justin said with a little smirk of his mouth.

Brian shrugged, not agreeing or disagreeing with the statement.

"I wrote the Brian Kinney manual and I know you asked everyone to watch over me.  Brian Kinney, aka Rage, is alive and well."

Brian laughed out loud; the sound, music to both men.

"The stalker is with the police and you are safe here with me.  I think that is reason to celebrate," Brian said as he lifted Justin's shirt and played with the soft skin on his belly.

"I like the way you think."  Justin grabbed both ends of his shirt, lifting it over his head and then tossing it to the floor. 

They celebrated their love and the capture of the Stalker for a few hours and then, as frequently happened; Justin's stomach protested its emptiness. 

 

TBC