- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

another new chapter

 

"Good nite," Peter said as he kissed his longtime friend, John, on the cheek.  They stood at the door to his and Michael's apartment as John held his coat.   "It was a great evening and as usual Michael cooked a great meal. I'll see you when I return from Pittsburgh."  John smiled, the look taking over his face as it did when he was extremely happy. 

Peter had seen that look several times this evening when John was talking about the artist, Justin Taylor and while John appeared happy, it made Peter uncomfortable. Looking at Michael, he saw Michael nod imperceptibility at John's words and then they looked at each other; Michael frowned slightly as he listened.  Michael gave John a hug goodbye as well and they let their guest out for the night.

"I think we should go see Mr. Taylor's exhibit.  I'd like to see the paintings and the bio myself.  Something tells me it's important," Michael said as he closed the door.

"Do you think we should tell somebody?  I already said something to his agent; Carol and she promised to let Mr. Taylor know about John.  I just think that may not be enough."  Peter went into the kitchen, placing the pots and pans in the sink filled with water.

"I don't know what else to do."  Michael wet a clean cloth and put some cleanser on it to wipe down the stove and table.  "As a therapist, there is a duty to warn if I thought John was a threat to himself or others, but I don't think fantasizing about being in a relationship constitutes a threat."  He walked into the dining area and wiped down the table there as well.  He threw the cloth in the laundry room and grabbed the broom and dust pan to sweep the floor, getting rid of any crumbs.  "If he were to attempt to harm Mr. Taylor or his partner or talked about hurting either of them, then I would have to intervene.  However, at this point in time, talk is free and so is John's fantasy.  Maybe seeing the exhibit will give me a better handle on the situation."

"Let's go tomorrow.  I know they're open late on Thursdays."  Peter picked up the first pot and cleaned it, then left it to dry on the rack."  I'll meet you there after work and we can have a late dinner.  Maybe try out a new restaurant as we aren't over in that part of town often." He picked up the second pot and repeated his actions.

Michael placed the broom and dust pan back in the small cleaning closet and hugged Peter from behind as he finished washing the last pan from dinner.  "You're such a good friend.  John is lucky to have you in his life."  He kissed him on the back of the neck and waited until he turned off the water.  Spinning him around he kissed him hard on the lips and Peter responded with an open mouth as he wrapped his arms around his partner.

"Let's forget about John for now."

"I think that's an excellent idea."

They met at the June Kelly gallery at 6:00, an hour before closing and went into the exhibit.  As they walked through the exhibit they didn't speak much but took in the art. 

"Mr. Taylor paints a lot of abstracts but his subject matter is often another man.  Did you notice that?" Michael said as he was glancing at several pieces for the second time.  "I imagine they represent his partner."

"I agree.  I see a likeness in many of his pieces.  They must have a strong relationship for him to be the center of so much of his art," Peter said.  "This doesn't bode well for John.  What do you think he will do when he realizes Justin is in a relationship?"  He reached for Michael's hand, intertwining his fingers and squeezing gently.

"When he returns, I think we should intervene.  I like John and don't want him to get hurt."

"Intervene?  What does that entail?  I mean, how do you tell someone that the relationship they've been talking about is not real?"

They walked out of the gallery as the lights were dimming, signaling its impending closure.  Peter had looked up a few restaurants on his break at work and had mentioned Kelley & Ping as an option. Michael had agreed and they walked toward the Asian restaurant.  As always, the streets were busy with pedestrians as well as cabs and buses.  New Yorkers never lacked for activity.

Michael started to answer the question, but as they walked toward the restaurant Peter's phone rang.  Looking at the screen, he didn't recognize the number from out of the area, but intuition told him it was important and he answered it.

"Hello,' he said tentatively.

"Is this Peter Helio?" Daphne asked, hoping Brian had the correct number. She sat at the edge of Brian's large leather office chair, too nervous to sit back in the behemoth.

"Yes.  Who is this?  How did you get this number?" Quickly scanning his brain for any one he knew who was out of the area and would have his number, he drew a blank.   It concerned him on several levels; one that someone knew his number and two that they were calling at 7:00 in the evening.  He felt his heart speed up and his hands were quickly moist.

"My name is Daphne Chanders.  I'm a friend of Justin Taylor's.  I got this number from his agent, Carol Singh."

With the mention of the artist, he quickly scanned the street for a quieter place to talk. "Hold on," he said as he ducked into a little sandwich shop.

Michael looked at him with a little confusion but followed his lead. "This is Peter."

"I understand you are friends with a man named John Scott.  Is that correct?"

"Yes. Has something happened to John?"  Peter's hand started to sweat and he looked around for a chair to sit in.  Michael motioned toward a table to the back of the shop and they made their way there quickly.

"John was arrested this afternoon.  He accosted Justin in the lobby of Kinnetik.  He was spouting all kinds of nonsense about them being together, a couple."

"Shit!"  Peter took several breaths and said, "Look, my partner is a therapist.  Can you tell him what happened; maybe he can help."  Peter handed the phone to Michael.

"Hello, this is Michael Strong.  How can I help you?"  Michael wasn't clear on what was happening but it was really unusual for Peter to hand him the phone so he was very concerned.

"I'm Daphne Chanders, a friend of Justin Taylor's.  I understand you're a therapist.  Is that right?"

"I have a Master's in Counseling and I work with several doctors in a small practice. What is this about?"

"It appears that Mr. Scott thinks he is in a relationship with Justin.  He went to Kinnetik, Justin's partner's business and saw him in the lobby.  He went up to Justin and stated he couldn't wait for their meeting this evening and talked about him leaving Brian, his partner.  He had to be restrained from embracing Justin.  They have a restraining order against him for the letters he sent, so the police agreed to take him away.  I think he needs some medication but definitely some intensive counseling.  He may even need hospitalization, but a more thorough exam would need to be completed."

"Those are some pretty strong statements, Ms. Chanders," Michael said as he nodded his head.  Peter watched Michael's face as he frowned deeply. 

"I'm a therapist and have a private practice in Pittsburgh. After everything that Justin and Brian have been relaying to me, I think your friend may need professional intervention.  Of course, I can't judge his mental state unless I evaluate him, but I was hoping since Peter and he are good friends, he might have some insight into the situation."

Michael listened intently and remembered she said something about letters. He pointed to the counter, indicating that Peter should order them food and he continued the conversation. "You said Mr. Taylor had a restraining order against John based on some letters.  Can you tell me about those?"

Peter got up and went to the front of the counter and ordered them two sandwiches.  He'd lost his appetite, but ordered anyway.

"He sent two letters to Justin with some pictures.  Justin supported himself by dancing for a short time and evidently Mr. Scott attended a party where Justin danced.  The pictures have Justin dancing for Mr. Scott."  Daphne hated to bring out the information but she knew that it was already public.  Tim Callen, the critic had published the article about Justin's days as a stripper yesterday.  Daphne cringed when she thought of her best friend and what he was dealing with these past few days.  She knew Justin still had many unresolved issues surrounding that time of his life and it was affecting his painting as well as his future.

Daphne was glad she had chosen to go to Brian's office to have the conversation.  She picked up the envelope lying on the desk that held the pictures. Brian had showed her both envelopes and had moved them to his office to get them out of Justin's view.  She wasn't sure why he had it on his desk, but she unclasped the envelope again and looked at the pictures with a more knowledgeable eye.  It appeared that John Scott had taken this innocent strip job and twisted it in his mind.  Now he believed he and Justin were together.  He had gone so far as to apply for a job in Pittsburgh to be close to him.  This was a lot more involved than anyone realized.

"I don't think the police are going to intervene, especially since he has made no overt threat.  The restraining order got him out of the office, but I fear there could be some escalation.  According to Justin and Brian, he really seemed to believe that he was in a relationship with Justin."

"Where is he now?" Michael asked as he looked for something to write with in his shirt pocket.

"I assume he is at the police station.  This happened several hours ago, but it takes a while to process folks." Daphne placed the pictures back in the envelope, shaking her head at the current tangled web that John appeared to be enveloped inside.

"Do you know which precinct he went to?" Michael asked hopefully.  He wasn't certain if calling the police was the right avenue but it was a first step.  He looked up as Peter brought two small baskets with their sandwiches to the table.  Peter left the sandwiches and went to fill their drink cups.

"Wait.  I'll get it for you."  Daphne scrolled through her phone and found the number, giving it to Michael.  "What are you going to do?"

"I'm calling the police.  I'll ask them to hold him until I arrive.  I've got a colleague I can bring with me who will evaluate him.  I'm too close to do a safe evaluation.  He knows me and ... well you know the whole ethical situation."

"I do.  Will you call me and let me know what happens. I'd like to reassure Justin and Brian that he is safe for now."

"Absolutely."  Michael looked at his watch and saw that it was already 7:30.  He might get lucky and be able to catch a really late flight out tonight, but most likely would not be able to do so until the morning.  He hoped the police would keep John that long.  "I'll let you know soon.  I've got to start making calls.  Thanks for the phone call, Ms. Chanders."

The phone clicked off and Peter looked at Michael with eager eyes and concern. "Well."

"I should have listened to you. Evidently, John sent some letters to Mr. Taylor.  There were some pictures of him and Justin together.  Justin used to be a strip dancer and was hired to dance at a show that John attended.  It appears that John got in his head these pictures were of them as a couple. John publicly went up to Justin Taylor proclaiming his love and expressing his excitement with their reunion."

"Shit!" Peter said.  When I saw his picture, I asked Carol if he'd ever danced for "Dancing Beauties".  I've attended a few parties where their workers entertained and he looked familiar.  I remember setting up a show for John's birthday a few years back.  You remember?  When he was out of work and really down. When Carol confirmed he worked there, I didn't realize he was the guy they sent to the party. That party was a few years ago.  I don't know why John suddenly decided they were in a relationship.  It makes no sense at all.  Regardless, I'm to blame for this whole mess."  Peter put his head in his hands and rubbed at his eyebrows. 

Michael put his hand on Peter's shoulder and squeezed gently, offering him comfort. 

"Peter, you did not cause this mess.  You aren't responsible for John's actions.  He needs help, Peter.  I'm going to call the police and talk to them, see if they'll hold him until I can get there tomorrow.  I'll bring Sam with me to evaluate him."

"Sam?  Why can't you talk to him?  You've known him forever." Peter raised his head and clasped Michael's hand.

"That's right.  I've known him forever and that is exactly why I can't do it.  It's not ethical to treat your friends or family.  Maybe I was too close to John that I didn't see the extent of his delusions," Michael scrubbed his face with his hands and looked at the table in the small sandwich shop.  "Ask for a "to go" wrapping.  There's a lot to do before tomorrow."

Peter started to protest that it wasn't Michael's responsibility to go to Pittsburgh, but he closed his mouth before any words came out.  He appreciated Michael's professionalism and his friendship and he recognized that Michael was right.  Sam had to be there and as much as he was right about John having problems, he was so sad that his intuition was as good as Michael always teased him about.  He went to the counter and asked for their order to be repackaged to go, waiting for the worker to rewrap them.

Michael called the police speaking to the officer in charge.

"I understand you arrested a young man by the name of John Scott this evening."

"Yeah.  He's in processing now."

"Are you going to hold him overnight?"

"Guy's got a restraining order and he violated it.  Cop who picked him up said he was acting all touchy feely with the complainant. Mr. Scott has been sent to The Western Psychiatric Hospital for observation.  He will be there for a 72 hour hold."

"Thank you."

Michael hung up the phone and called Daphne back filling her in on John's admittance to the psych ward. She thanked him.

Peter brought back the subs and Michael waved him to the table where he pocketed his phone, stood up and pushed the chair to the table.

 "Have you made the plane reservations already?  Do you need to call your boss?  I need to let Darren know.  What should I tell him about John?  I really don't want to blow this out of the water and get him fired, but I think Darren needs to know.  Did you contact Sam?"  Peter asked as they started walking toward the front of the small shop.

"I called the police station and John's been sent to the Psych ward for a 72 hour hold.  We have time to call folks, nothing is happening for three days."

"Can they do that?  I mean how do they just put someone in the hospital without their permission?"

"It's a safety precaution.  If the doctor thinks he might be a threat to himself or others they can place him in protective custody and evaluate his mental state.  We both know he is delusional and it's probably a good thing he is there.  He's safe."

"But he can't stay there.  He has a job and a life in New York.  He's got to know that Justin Taylor is not in a relationship with him."

"Peter, he spent all of last night going over all these elaborate stories and tales about their relationship.  John believes they are together.  He is delusional.  Face it, sweetheart.  Your friend needs help, more help than you or I can give him."

"But...But.... You're a therapist.  You're a great therapist. Can't you help him?"

"No. I can't.  Even if I wanted to.  I'm too close.  He needs someone who doesn't have a relationship with him.  I'll talk to Sam tomorrow and we can drive up there in the afternoon or the next day."

"Ok," Peter said as his mind mulled through the latest information.

"Maybe we can even meet Justin and his partner Brian," Michael said, thinking if he were in their shoes he would like to know that John was out of the way and his delusions being addressed.

"I don't know.  We've caused them enough trouble."

"I don't think they'd see it that way.  We helped them find John or at least get the restraining order so the police could arrest him."

"If this is such a good thing, why do I feel so lousy?  I feel like I betrayed my best friend," Peter said, the ache in his gut growing with each new revelation of John's actions. 

"You didn't betray him, love.  He is sick.  Just like when you had the flu last year, John has a mental illness.  He can no more help having these thoughts then you could help getting the flu."  Michael said as he stopped walking and gave his partner a kiss on the lips.  "You recognized something was wrong and tried to figure it out.  You got me involved, but unfortunately I brushed you off as having an overactive imagination. Next time you have intuition that something is wrong, I'll believe you."  They walked toward the subway station that would take them home.

"But..."

"No buts.  Hindsight is always 20/20 and none of us have crystal balls.  There are a million what ifs in this world, but we can't change the past, only try to make the future better.  John will need a good friend to get through this fiasco and we need to concentrate on thinking of ways to support him." They took the steps down toward the subway and waited on the platform for the next train. 

"I love you,' Peter said after the train going west passed through the station.

"I know.  We still have a few hours of this evening together and I'd like to enjoy them," Michael said as they boarded their train.  "It was supposed to be a nice evening out for us and while part of the evening is gone, we still have a few hours to make it special.  Let's go home and spend a few hours in bed."

Peter smiled at his lover's suggestion.  "I guess nothing more can be done tonight, so I agree.  Let's not waste the remainder of the evening. 

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

comments welcome