- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

There are a lot of references to court proceedings and legal information in this chapter.  I attempted to research as much as I could but I am not a lawyer nor do I really have a lot of legal information.  Like my characters-  I only know what I see on tv.  Please take all legal references as poetic license and enjoy the story.    

 

Alan walked back to the booking room and introduced himself to John.

 

"Hi, I'm Alan Crawford and I've been appointed your lawyer.  We need to talk about your situation."  Alan pointed to a room off to the side and John followed him.

 

The men sat across from each other in a small room painted with gray walls.  There was a small wooden table and four wooden chairs in the room and just like on tv, a large window that served as a one way mirror.  The room was not wired for sound so their conversation was private. 

 

"Do you know why you are here, Mr. Scott?"

 

"Somebody called the cops.  I was just giving my partner a hug since I hadn't seen him for a while."

 

"Who is your boyfriend?"

 

"Justin Taylor."

 

"How long have you two been together?"

 

"A few months."

 

"Where do you live, Mr. Scott?"

 

"I live on Delancy Street.

 

"Is that in Pittsburgh?  I'm not familiar with it."  Alan was trying to ask John some simple questions to determine what he thought of the current situation.

 

"No.  I live in New York,"

 

"But your boyfriend is here.  That must make it difficult." Alan tried to make John comfortable with his presence.

 

"It does.  That is why I was applying for a job here in town.  To be closer to him." John nodded in agreement, happy to see this man appeared to understand his situation.

 

"I see.  Do you know why the police sent you to talk to Dr. Farsi?"

 

"No."

 

"They wanted to be sure that you weren't going to hurt Mr. Taylor." Now that Alan had gained his trust, he needed to discuss the actual situation.

 

"I wouldn't hurt him.  He's my partner.  That is the silliest thing I've heard today.  I need to go talk to him, straighten this out.  Can I make an appointment with you to talk about these crazy charges in a few days?  I've got to talk to my boss, Darren.  I was here to make a presentation for work and I need to let him know the results."  John looked at the clock in the room, seeing it was almost 11:00.  He'd been kept in that hospital for three days and he knew Darren must be anxious to hear how the presentation went.  Since his interview with Kinnetik was cut short, he needed to keep Darren happy. 

 

Alan looked toward the window and tilted his head.  After talking to Mr. Scott, he wasn't sure why the doctors decided he was not unstable.  Based on the information Mr. Strong shared, Mr. Scott's reality was incorrect.  However, he realized the doctors were basing Mr. Scott's state of mind on his connection to time, place and real world events.  They would investigate if he knew where he was, why he was in Pittsburgh, who was president, the time of year and other common bits of information.  They really would have no way to judge if his statements regarding his relationship with Mr. Taylor were a figment of his imagination or actually real.  He knew there was no good way to introduce Mr. Strong and Mr. Ondi into the conversation and he hoped they would recognize his movement as an invitation to come into the room.

 

A few moments later the door to their meeting room was opened and Michael and Sam entered.  John looked toward the door when he heard it opening and frowned when he recognized Michael.

 

"Michael?  What are you doing here?  How did you get here?  Who is the guy with you?" John asked.  His voice got louder with each question.

 

Michael and Sam sat down on either side of Alan and appeared to have a silent conversation with each other before Michael spoke.

 

"Hi John.  I'm sure this is confusing to you, but it is confusing to us too."  Michael spoke in a soft soothing voice, trying to use his tone to de-escalate John's agitation.  "Do you know where you are?"

 

"The police station."

 

"Do you know why you are here?"

 

"The police arrested me for hugging Justin.  I really need to leave and go talk to Justin.  Can we talk about this later?" John pushed his chair back and started to stand.

 

"I think you should visit with us for a bit.  Please sit down, John," Michael stated is a firm voice but with an authority that John had never heard.

 

John sat back down.

 

"Where would you find Justin?"  The question seemed simple enough, but in reality Michael's question was meant to cause dissonance.

 

"At his house," John said quickly.

 

"Where does he live?"

 

"Pittsburgh.  That's why I'm here.  I was applying for a job so we could be together."

 

"What is the address?"

 

John thought for a few minutes trying to remember the address.  He'd been there once, but he couldn't remember.

 

"I don't know."

 

"Do you know what part of Pittsburgh he lives in?"

 

Again John searched his memory but it was like someone had erased important memories from it.

 

"Not really.  But I know he lives in a nice part of town," he said, hoping that would be good enough for Michael.

 

"Can you describe the house to me?"

 

John was starting to fidget in his chair. These questions were annoying, especially when he didn't know the answers.

 

"It's big."

 

"John, you don't remember the address or area where your boyfriend lives, but you planned on leaving here to find him.  How did you intend to talk to him if you don't know where he lives?"

 

Michael hated questioning Peter's friend and pushing the delusions to the forefront, but he really needed John to see that his statements had inconsistencies.  He hoped his questions would open up John's mind and he would question the relationship between himself and Mr. Taylor.

 

John tilted his head toward the table, eyes cast toward the worn wooden top.

 

"I'm sure Justin will be here to straighten everything out," John said as he realized his boyfriend wouldn't let him sit in jail.

 

"Do you know where you were before the police brought you here this morning?"

 

"Some hospital.  A bunch of doctors kept asking me what day it was and where I was from.  They asked me a lot of questions and I kept telling them the same answers.  It was really stupid."

 

Michael nodded, pleased that John recognized he'd been in a hospital and the doctors were evaluating him.

 

"Why do think they took you there?"

 

"I don't know.  Look Michael, you are asking like a million questions and I need to take care of some business.  Darren is expecting my call about the presentation.  Can we play 20 questions later?"

 

Michael was frustrated.  He'd hoped his line of questions would spark a reality check with John, but apparently the inconsistencies between his reality and real life didn't appear to bother him. 

 

"John, you need to listen very carefully to what I'm going to say."

 

"Okay.  Geez, you sound like somebody died."

 

"John, could it be possible you don't know where your boyfriend lives nor where you can find him because he really isn't your boyfriend?"

 

The words hit John like a bulldozer. Looking at Michael like he was the one who should have been locked up, he said, "Of course he's my boyfriend.  Why would you ask me such a silly question?"

 

Michael twisted his hands in the manner of Macbeth; his heart and mind filled with guilt, even though he hadn't done anything wrong.  Trying to explain false reality was a lot more difficult than he ever imagined. 

 

"John, did you think it strange that I showed up here this morning?"

 

Nodding his head, John said, "Yes.  These last few days have been weird so I just took it in stride.  But since you mentioned it, how did you get here?"

 

"Mr. Taylor's friend called Peter to let him know you were arrested."

 

John said, "Mr.Taylor's friend knows Peter?"

 

"Not really.  Peter has been worried about you for a few weeks.  He went to see the exhibit at the June Kelly gallery and ran into Mr. Taylor's agent. They talked, and based on their discussion she alerted Mr. Taylor to your claims of being his boyfriend.  Mr. Taylor told a friend about the situation.  After you were arrested for hugging Mr. Taylor at Kinnetik, his friend got Peter's number and called him." 

 

"That sounds like a soap opera.  I told you Michael, I was in Pittsburgh to do a presentation for work and then I interviewed with Kinnetik for a job so I could be closer to my boyfriend, Justin.

 

Michael was at a loss.  He hoped that giving all the information to John would make him see reality, but he obviously was pretty entrenched in his fantasy.  As a therapist, he knew John needed to accept the truth but he was at a loss on how to do this.

 

"May I interrupt?" Alan said.  "Obviously, Mr. Scott believes Mr. Taylor and he are in a relationship.  Is that correct Mr. Scott?"

 

"Yes."

 

"While you were talking to your friends, I reviewed the paperwork pertaining to your charges and your release.  It appears the restraining order has been issued by the judge and you are to be served before you leave the building.  Essentially, whether you believe you are in a relationship with Mr. Taylor or not, he does not want you within 200 feet of him and you are not allowed to contact him by phone, email or postal mail. You are to appear in court to face misdemeanor charges of first degree assault on the 14th of this month, that is next week."

 

"But why would Justin do that?  There must be some mistake."

 

Michael said, "John, this is what I've been trying to get you to see.  While you may think Mr. Taylor is your boyfriend, he doesn't think so.  He doesn't want anything to do with you and wants you to keep your distance.  I think you should talk to someone about this.  I know you really think this is real, but I don't think so and Mr. Taylor obviously doesn't think so."

 

"I have to go to court for hugging my own boyfriend," John said, oblivious to Michael's statements. "You're my lawyer.  Okay, Mr. lawyer, what do I need to do?"

 

"You need to stay away from Mr. Taylor forever.  A restraining order does not end unless the person removes it.  I suggest you go with your friends and do what they suggested, talk to someone.  If you talk about Mr. Taylor as your boyfriend in court, it most likely will not go well.  You need to let me do the talking and you need to return to New York, forgetting about contact with Mr. Taylor now and in the future. 

 

John nodded his head and the door opened letting a deputy in the room.

 

"John Scott," he said as he looked at the four men in the room.

 

"I'm John Scott," said John raising his hand like he was in a classroom, rather than a police station.

 

The deputy held out some papers and John took them.  "You are being served with a restraining order.  You are to stay away from Justin Taylor. You are not allowed to come closer than 200 feet to him.  You are to have no phone, email or mail contact with him. Do you understand?"

 

"Yes," John said as he opened the papers to read them.

 

The deputy left the room.

 

"Mr. Scott, as I said, this is a very serious matter.  You understand what the restraining order means?"

 

"Yes."  He turned toward Sam and Michael.  "Can we go now?  I really need to call Darren."

 

"Not quite.  Can you tell me your version of the events on the day you were arrested?"

 

John said, " I went into Kinnetik about 4:30 for an interview.  I was waiting in the lobby to be called for my interview.  A few minutes later I saw Justin walk in.  I got up to greet him since it had been several weeks since we were together, and I told him that I couldn't wait until after the interview.  I told him I loved him and that we would celebrate our reunion.  Next thing I know the police were arresting me."

 

"According to your statement, Mr. Taylor knew you were coming and planned on meeting you that evening, presumably after the interview."

 

"Yes."

 

"Where were you going to meet?"

 

"He told me he would come to my hotel, pick me up and take me to his place.  That way, I could avoid taking a cab."

 

"When did that conversation take place, Mr. Scott?"

 

John paused trying to remember the exact events, but he was having trouble doing so.  "I don't remember.  I knew about the trip a week or so before I went, so probably about that time."

 

"Mr. Scott, how did you contact Mr. Taylor?  By phone, email? Did you call him from your cell?"

 

Again John was having trouble remembering the details.  "Ahh.  By phone.  Yes.  I remember Justin telling me the hotel was close to his home and it would only take 10-15 minutes to get there. He said he'd call me about 6:30 since he would be in the studio all day."

 

"So this call was from your cell?"

 

"Yes. I don't own a land line."

 

"Is there anything else you remember about the meeting or the phone calls?"

 

"No.  Like I said, I was really looking forward to the interview and the chance to move here to be with him.  It would have been perfect.  I don't understand what happened?  I wish I could talk to him; I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding."

 

"I've really got to go to the bathroom.  Guys, can we leave?" John said as he looked at the three men.  His head was spinning with all the information and he was getting very confused.

 

Michael and Sam stood up and shook Alan's hand.  Sam turned toward John and said, "I've got to use the restroom also. I'll meet you by the car, Michael."  Sam and John left the room.

 

"Thank you for your time this morning.  I was hoping John would see reason when presented with the obvious inconsistencies, but I guess I was wrong.  Maybe Peter, my partner, will have more luck in helping him see the problems.  Do you think we could get his phone records?  He says he called Mr. Taylor and it would show up on his phone records."

 

"This is not some tv show.  I can't go to a judge and request a warrant for them.  Really, they are not pertinent to the case at hand.  The misdemeanor is for accosting Mr. Taylor in an unsolicited manner.  Whether your friend has delusions that they are in a relationship or that he made plans to rendezvous with Mr. Taylor is really irrelevant.  According to the law, Mr. Taylor was a victim of a physical altercation that he did not initiate.  Possibly a review of Mr. Scott's phone records could help persuade your friend, but for our purposes, it is not necessary.  Please stay with your friend until after the court date and ensure that he shows up.  I suggest your friend is in need of some psychological intervention, but I don't have to tell you that."

 

"We will make sure he stays out of trouble and comes to court next week.  In the meantime, can he leave the area?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I'll see you next week.  Thank you."

 

"Good luck."

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

comments always welcome