- Text Size +

 

Gus came over a few hours later and he and Justin went to the studio to paint.  Lindsay and Brian went to Brian's office since Rosa was preparing dinner in the kitchen.

Brian sat in the tall leather chair behind his desk and Lindsay sat on the small leather chair on the other side of the desk.

"Thanks for bringing him by.  I thought we were finished with this shit when the guy got arrested.  Now he's out."

"Didn't you say Daphne called his friends and they were coming down to meet with him?  Surely they can help."

"They promised to be in touch with Daphne.  She's going to come over this evening.  I know I can't keep Justin in his studio forever.  Hopefully the article Tim wrote will keep some of the potential crazies from trying to extort money."

Lindsay looked at him with a quizzical face.  "Extortion?  What are you talking about?  Was somebody trying to extort money from Justin?  That's horrible."

Brian got up from his chair and walked to the liquor cart.  Getting out a glass, he poured a shot of Jim Beam into the glass and drank it.  He refilled his glass and returned to his desk.  Lindsay watched from her seat and knew better than to question his drinking in the middle of the day. 

"As you know, several weeks ago we received two packages of pictures of Justin performing when he was in New York.  We worried that if someone had these kinds of pictures, they might try to blackmail Justin. The pictures were legitimate and that's why we decided to have Tim Callen write about Justin's time as a dancer, hoping to thwart any potential problems in the future.  There is a good chance the guy who attacked Justin at Kinnetik probably sent those pictures. He wasn't trying to extort money; he thought he and Justin were boyfriends. Of course, there are a lot of crazies out there and the next one could decide to go for the money angle."

"That's absurd. You guys have been together for a long time and Justin wouldn't do that to you.  He loves you."  Lindsay protested the thought of Justin cheating.  There'd been a time when that might have been possible, but she knew the two men were a very strong couple these days and she couldn't fathom either of them being unfaithful. She knew Brian accepted Justin's love and even admitted to loving him back.

"When Justin heard the guy had been released, he shut down, quit painting.  You know how painting is his life."  Brian took a drink, knowing that it would not change the situation, but unconsciously hoping to numb the reality of it.

"That must be terrible.  What are you going to do?" Lindsay's question reflected the ‘family's' expectation that Brian was able to fix all their problems.  His inability to ‘fix' their problems was incomprehensible to most of them, even after all these years.

"We've got a restraining order against him.  Mel says that should take care of him coming near Justin again.  He's not from here and hopefully his friends will be able to reign him in."

"I'm so sorry, Brian." She was relieved that a solution was already in place, confirming Brian's power to remedy the ‘bad things' in their lives.

"Sorry's bullshit.  I just hope Gus' presence will help.  When I took Justin to the Warhol museum, it sparked his desire to paint.  I think watching Gus create will keep Justin motivated.   He's got a show in a few weeks and he needs to complete 3 additional pieces.  Luckily it's a small show and he's completed 7 along with a large canvas.  Carol said they are using the large canvas to showcase his diverse talent.  He has to pace himself when he paints; it's harder for him than other artists, due to his hand.  Carol said he had enough work to display at the show, but I know that would bother Justin.  Not completing a project would just add to his distress." He finished the last of his Jim Bean and put the glass on his desktop, twirling the glass in his hand.

"Do you want me to talk to him?"  Lindsay offered. She placed a small bit of hair behind her ear and smiled at Brian as she leaned forward in her chair.

"No.  This is something he has to work out.  I'm sure he wouldn't even appreciate our discussion this morning.  The article is public knowledge, or would be if anyone in the family read a newspaper or looked at the news."  Brian smiled at his ability to make a jab at his "family" and their lack of keeping up with the news. He stood up and walked back to the liquor cart, started to refill his glass, but thought better of it and placed the glass on the cart.

Lindsay felt herself blush a little at Brian's dig toward the family, accepting responsibility for her reaction yesterday.  "I'll try and bring Gus over a few times in the next few weeks so he can paint with Justin.  They both will benefit."

"Sounds like a plan.  At least with Gus around, he will pick up a paint brush; if nothing else, he is painting." Brian nodded his head in agreement and walked back to the desk, sitting down again.

He really needed to work this morning but with everything that had occurred, he had given up on that idea.  Gus and Lindsay's presence was making it difficult to work this afternoon.  He thought of a way to get her to leave, but the phone rang, breaking his train of thought.

"Kinney."

"I've only got a few minutes, but I wanted to let you know I heard from Mr. Scott's friends. They went to see him this morning," Daphne said as she watched the digital display on her computer.  "The restraining order was served so he shouldn't be bothering Justin any more. Court is set for next week."

"What?  I thought the restraining order was already in place?"

"No, evidently it was in process but now that they served him, it is officially illegal for him to have any contact with Justin.  Justin can rest assured he's safe from unwanted advances from Mr. Scott."

"Did his friend say anything else?  Is he going back to New York? Did he admit that Justin isn't his boyfriend?  Did he say why he thought Justin and him were together?"

Daphne had hoped Brian wouldn't go down that road.  She really wanted to keep Mr. Scott's delusions secret.  Michael Strong had assured her that he and Mr. Ondi would be keeping tabs on Mr. Scott until the court preceding and then would work on his psychological issues. They shared a little of the conversation with her, but asked that she not talk about it.  They understood that their friend needed treatment, but discussing that with the victim would be counterproductive.

"Brian, leave it alone.  You aren't a doctor or therapist and while I am a therapist, even I won't speculate on the man's mental health.  The police and his friends are handling the situation." Daphne hoped her cautious plea would be heeded but she was unsure how Brian or Justin would take her attitude.

"What the fuck, Daphne!  The man sends Justin pictures, frightens him and then spouts his love in my office and you want us to let it drop!  What is wrong with you? What happened to the champion that Justin knows and loves?"  Brian chided her simple request.

Daphne cringed at the harsh words that Brian said but she knew she didn't want to discuss the situation with him.  He would get angry, especially when it might appear to him that she was siding with John Scott. 

"I will always love Justin and want the best for him, but Brian this man is sick and as a mental health professional I have to feel for him too.  I'm sure his friends will keep him away from Justin and if not, the law will intervene.  Justin's safety has been secured and that is the most important thing."  Daphne flipped through her calendar on her desk and was thankful that she could reschedule her appointments for the day of the court appearance.  "I think you and Justin need to concentrate on resuming your everyday lives.  I'm planning on attending court the day of the hearing, but I suggest you and Justin do not attend.  If there is anything that needs to occur, Mel or I will let you know."

"I want to see the fucker punished; he's put Justin through hell," Brian said as he slammed him hand on the desk.  "The legal system has failed Justin before and I mean to see it doesn't do so again."

"Brian, when I talked to Mr. Scott's friend, he told me the charges are for first degree assault which will most likely result in a fine and time served.  The offense is not severe enough for major jail time.  He's been served with a restraining order so he should not bother Justin again."

"First degree assault.  What the fuck is that?"

"I'm not a lawyer, you should ask Mel for the specifics.  But basically it is contact without malice."

"Fucking legal system.  Can't even get protection from a crazy guy," Brian said as started to pinch the bridge of his nose as he felt a headache coming on.  "What should I tell Justin?  He's already antsy."

"I'll be over later tonight.  I'll talk to him if you want."

"Ok.  See you for dinner?"

"I should be there by 7:00."

Brian hung up the phone and sank into the chair, slouching at the weight of his thoughts. <i> Get back to normal.  The fucking stalker is charged with a misdemeanor, meanwhile Justin is freaking out.  Fucking sucks. Legal system sucks.  How the hell am I supposed to get Justin to just forget about him, when he practically attacked him in my office? </i>

"Was that Mel?" Lindsay asked as she listened to Brian's responses.

"No.  It was Daphne.  Seems she talked to the stalker's friends and he's being charged with a fucking first degree assault- essentially a slap on the wrist.  Daphne sounds like a fucking therapist and wants everyone to forget about it and go on their merry way.  Even wants us to stay away from the court proceedings.  She says the guy has mental problems and we should give him some slack." Brian couldn't sit.  He stood up and paced the length of the room. 

Lindsay listened and nodded her head as she processed the information.  "She is a therapist. You should trust her judgment."

He stopped his pacing and looked at Lindsay with scorn in his eyes. "Really?  I should just tell Justin that the guy who mauled him at Kinnetik is sick and that he should just forget it ever happened.  The guy has a restraining order now and he will obviously obey the law since he is a good model citizen," Brian said the statements with as much sarcasm as he could pour into the words.  "That's the biggest fucking lame idea I've heard and I've heard a lot of them.  Linds, I've got a partner who is terrified to move on with his life for fear that some crazy guy will come after him and we're supposed to just sit back and hope the legal system will work."  He walked over to the liquor cabinet, picking up his discarded glass and pouring himself a fresh shot of Beam.  Drinking it quickly, he poured a second and held it in his hand.

"I know this must be hard for you and Justin, but maybe Daphne is right.  Mel works with the legal system every day and she believes it works. Brian, from what I can tell, you don't really have an alternative." Lindsay watched her friend, her heart clutching as his obvious frustration.  She got up, walking toward him, with the intention of giving him a comforting hug, but was interrupted by the door opening.

Before he could answer, Gus and Justin burst into the room.

"Daddy.  Daddy!!!! Look what me and Justin made.  I used my new brushes.  They are so cool.  I have a really tiny one that can make really thin lines and then I have this huge fat brush that I can paint the whole canvas in a few strokes.  Justin showed me how to wash the canvas with color.  See," he said as he held up the canvas. "It is the sun coming up over the lake in the back yard.  Justin said it is one of his favorite things to look at." Gus pointed out the lake and the shore to both Brian and Lindsay.

"You did a great job, Gus.  Do you have a place to set it until it dries?  You wouldn't want the painting to run," Lindsay asked as she viewed her son's work.  Smiling at his enthusiasm, she used a critical eye and admired the emerging skill he showed for capturing the described scene.

"Yeah.  Justin said I could keep it in his studio and take it home the next time I come over.  Can we come again tomorrow?  I want to take the picture to show and tell?" His animation and excitement was infectious and the adults were pleased with his role in getting Justin to paint.

"Justin and Daddy may be busy tomorrow.  But I'm sure we will come over again within a few days," Lindsay said as she watched Gus stare at his masterpiece. 

"Are you busy tomorrow, Justin?" Gus asked eagerly, hoping Justin would be free.

"I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow.  I may have some grown up stuff to do, but I'll talk to your mommy and we can set up a time in the next few days." Justin looked at Lindsay, nodding his head in quiet approval of the plan for Gus to return soon. 

"Goody.  Can I put this in your studio?  I'm hungry and want a snack." Gus started to walk toward the door, not really waiting for a response.

"I'll put it away, buddy.  Why don't you go with your mom and get some cookies.  I think Rosa made some yesterday."

Gus handed the painting to Justin and went with Lindsay to the kitchen for a snack.

"Did you get any painting done with Gus there?" Brian put down the glass he was holding, leaving the contents for another time.  He walked toward Justin.

"Thank you for having Lindsay bring him over.  I love having him here.  The innocence of children, especially Gus is refreshing." Justin held Gus' painting in his hand, admiring the piece.  "Come with me to the studio so I can put this in a safe place."

They walked down the hall side by side.  Justin asked, "Speaking of innocence, did you hear anything from Carl or Mel regarding the stalker?"

"Not exactly."

"Brian, the question was not that difficult.  You either did or didn't hear anything."  Justin opened the door to the studio and placed Gus' picture on an easel to dry.  He viewed his 3 unfinished pieces and frowned as he chastised himself for not accomplishing more this afternoon.

"Daphne called and she spoke to the friend of the stalker.  You know, the one who is a therapist." Brian looked for signs of recent painting and he eyed a cup with several brushes soaking in what looked like turpentine and hoped that meant Justin had been painting a little this afternoon.

"Ok.  What did she say?" Justin closed his studio door and motioned for Brian to join him.  "I want to tell Gus his picture is drying in the studio."

While the studio was far removed from the main house, Brian did not want Gus to hear this conversation.  He stopped Justin and they stood in the hallway outside the studio. Brian placed his hand on Justin's arm, needing the physical contact.

"He's being charged with first degree assault which is a misdemeanor. He'll be going to court next week.  She said that he will most likely pay a fine and that is all.  She said that he's been officially served with the restraining order and his friends are going to make sure he stays away."

"That's good.  What day is the court appearance?" Justin nodded in understanding. 

"Justin," Brian said quietly, not wanting to reveal the rest of her conversation, but knew Justin would want to know.  "She said the guy has some mental issues and his friends are going to get him some help.  She doesn't think you being in the court would be good idea.  Your presence isn't going to change the outcome and may just upset you."

"Okay."

"Okay.  That's it, okay?" Brian was surprised at Justin's response and wanted to explore his answer.  He was worried that Justin would just shut down rather than deal with the failed legal system.

"Brian.  I've known Daphne practically all my life and if she says that I shouldn't go to court, then I shouldn't go. She always watches my back.  I did some thinking while I was painting with Gus." Justin leaned in to give Brian a kiss, hoping the contact would show Brian that he was accepting of the situation.  After all these years, he knew how Brian thought.  He was certain Brian was concerned that he would retreat into his head and he needed to show Brian otherwise.

Brian raised his eyebrow in a questioning gesture.

"I don't think the stalker meant me any harm.  He sent the pictures to us but didn't make any demands.  While he showed up at Kinnetik and that was definitely creepy, he didn't try to hurt me there either.  True, he thinks he is my boyfriend but he has friends that are going to get him the help he needs.  There is a restraining order preventing him from interacting with me and I have to hope that is enough.  Like we talked about at breakfast, I have to go back to living my life and that means painting and being your partner.  I can't and won't give up either one of those roles."

Justin leaned over to kiss Brian on the lips, with the slightest of pressure.  His stomach took that moment to growl. 

"I guess I need a snack too."

Both men laughed and walked toward the kitchen to join Gus and Lindsay.

 

TBC