- Text Size +

Peter got out of the shower and towel dried his light brown hair.  Another towel was wrapped around his waist and Michael, his partner, watched with lust in his eyes.

"Stop that.  You know I have to meet John tonight.  I promise when I get home I'll make it up to you," he said with a twinkle in his eye as he looked over at Michael lying on the bed with the beginning of an erection.  "Save that for later.  I have a feeling I will want that lovely cock.  Not that I don't always want it, but I'm worried about tonight."

"Have you thought about what you're going to say?"  Michael asked.  Even after 3 years, he still loved looking at Peter and had to tamper down his jealous nature when he thought other guys were looking at him. 

Peter finished drying his hair and hung the towel up in the bathroom.  He removed the burgundy towel from around his waist and hung it on the back of the door.  Taking out his comb, he ran it quickly through his hair and put a little styling gel on top.  He nodded at the refection he saw in the mirror.

"Sort of.  I mean I have some half-finished ideas in my head but nothing concrete.  You have any wise ideas, oh counselor, love of my life?" He teased, knowing how the nickname always made Michael smile.

"I bet there is a rational explanation and you're worrying for nothing.  I bet he's just applied for a new job and didn't want to tell you until it's settled."

Peter finished buttoning his dark gray shirt and tucked it into his pants.  He leaned over and kissed Michael.  "Always the optimist.  I hope you're right but I've known John since high school and I think he wouldn't keep something like that a secret."

Michael gave him a warm smile and nodded his head in understanding.  The heat kicked on, responding to the slight chill in the air, even though it was warm for the time of year. The sound reminded Peter to grab a sweater and he pulled it over his head.  Taking a last look in the mirror, he grabbed his phone, keys, and wallet and walked toward the door. 

"I hope to be home early. You going to be up?" he called as he opened the door.

"Got an early morning session so I'll be in bed by 10:00.  If you need me, don't hesitate to wake me, though.  Love you."

Peter returned the sentiment to his partner, grabbed his coat and walked out of the apartment where he noticed a distinct winter chill in the hallway.  Evidently the super was trying to save money by not heating the hallways.  He couldn't really blame him as most people were wearing their coats in the hallways so they wouldn't have to carry them to their homes.  He passed a few tenants in the hall and said hi to them but he was on his way in just a few short minutes. 

They had agreed to meet at Milady's bar and restaurant, a new bar that had recently opened and both men wanted to try.  Peter took the Spring Street subway there and arrived in 10 minutes.  He looked around and didn't spot John.  Grabbing a table toward the back of the bar, the waitress came quickly to take his order.  He ordered a Fat Tyre beer and waited for John who showed up just as his beer was delivered.  The dark oak wooden table was shaped in a square and had a bright shine to it. The waitress laid a small coaster with the restaurant logo on the slick surface preventing physics to move the wet glass along its surface.

The two men hugged and then sat back down.  The waitress took John's order and brought him a Pale Ale and they each drank about half of their beers, enjoying the people watching and the camaraderie as two men who have been longtime friends can do.  John's lack of talking was noticeable since he was usually the first to jump in and share all the latest tales.  Peter watched his friend for any sign of distress and didn't see anything unusual; therefore he tried to convince himself that his fears were unfounded.  He was glad they had chosen this place as the noise level was tolerable and they could have a conversation without going horse by the end of the night.  He loved the no smoking policy as well.  He remembered long ago when they would go out and have to shower before going to bed as the smoke appeared to seep into their skin leaving them smelling like the bar long after their departure.

"How was Pittsburgh?  You were there for a pretty long time for work.  I'm surprised they sent you for more than a day.  I can't imagine there being that much to do in the city."

John smiled as he remembered his week-long trip to Pittsburgh and his many sightings of Justin.  "It was great.  I learned a lot."

"Did you attend a seminar?  What was it on?" Peter took a draw from his beer as he watched his friend's face.

"No, no seminar.  I went there on vacation. Did you know there is an Andy Warhol museum there?" he said, the excitement in his voice unmistakable, like he was a child sharing some big secret.

"I seem to remember reading that somewhere.  Tell me about it."

John proceeded to enlighten Peter with facts about the Warhol museum and was thankful that he'd gone and had interesting facts to share. He also told him about the incline and a few other stops he made on the bus tour around Pittsburgh.  Peter nodded his head in appreciation of his friend's trip, but a niggling at the back of his head told him something was not quite right.  John was not telling him anything about his business meetings and instead was sharing a list of the "things to see in Pittsburgh".  He listened as he waved the waitress over and ordered a second beer.  John declined as he'd drunk only half of his first one.

"... and that was about it.  I really had a good time."  John drank from his beer, sitting back in his chair and surveying the bar patrons.  The man at the next table sat down, draping his jacket over the empty chair and rubbed his hands together.

"Ok.  Why did you really go to Pittsburgh?"   Peter swallowed the last of the beer as he heard the waitress ask the patrons at the next table if they wanted a drink.  Looking John in the eye, he scrutinized his face for any further signs of lying.   "You told me late Sunday afternoon you were going away on business.  You usually know way in advance, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.  Evidently you didn't tell Kelly anything, since she couldn't reach you and was really worried about you. After a few days of trying to reach you to tell you about your dad's party, she called your work and talked to Darren who told her you were away taking care of a family emergency. I'm surprised Darren didn't question you when you got back this week.  If I was your boss and your sister called looking for you and I had to tell her you were away on family business that she apparently didn't know anything about, I would wonder if you were telling me the truth."  Looking at his best friend, he drummed his fingers impatiently on the table and took another draw from his beer.  "After talking to your boss, she called me, your supposed best friend as she was really worried.  I had to tell her you were away on business which was not what your boss told her. She made me promise to call her the minute I heard from her."  He let the statements make their own point, choosing not to point out the discrepancies.

Peter listened to the piped in background music playing softly from the speakers located in the corners of the bar.  Glancing at the other patrons in the bar, he hoped none of them were paying attention to their conversation.  He could feel his heart beat faster as he accused his best friend of lying to him, his boss and his sister.  He silently hoped for some logical explanation, but as he watched John's face and it didn't flush, his hopes seemed to drain.  "So, did you even go to Pittsburgh?"  Peter asked, hating to call his friend a liar but realizing that John seemed overly excited about the retelling of his last week's adventures.

"Yes, I went to Pittsburgh and I did go to the Warhol museum and the incline.  I did all those things."  John said, inwardly happy that he would be able to tell Peter about his exciting trip. John stopped at the end of the sentence, appearing about to say more, but waited for Peter to react.

"So what's up with the lies?  It's not like you."  Peter looked into John's eyes, hoping to see the evidence of him telling the truth this time.

John smiled, thinking of Justin's smile and envisioning them in bed together.  He was glad that Peter had caught him, now he could tell him about Justin.  Maybe Peter would help him get Justin to meet him somewhere.  Better yet, he could help come up with some ideas to get rid of the pesky boyfriend.  Brian wasn't any good for Justin; he'd heard Daphne talk about him and even heard Justin disparage him.

"Actually, I went to meet a guy."

"A guy?  In Pittsburgh?  Where did you meet him?  Tell me about him."  Peter asked in quick succession and letting out the breath in his lungs.  He watched John for any sign of anger at his words and was relieved that John didn't seem fazed by his accusations.

"His name is Justin Taylor and he's an artist.  He had a show here a few weeks ago and we hooked up.  He invited me down to Pittsburgh for the week so we could get to know each other better."

"Justin Taylor.  I think I've heard of him.  What kind of art does he do?"

"He mostly does abstracts.  He's very talented."  John was pleased that Peter seemed so happy for him.  He didn't realize that he was lying to his friend as his fantasy had begun to bleed into reality. His world had begun to revolve around a life that he was living in his head.

"Is the show still here?  I'd love to go see it."  Peter was relieved.  He could understand why John was a little secretive, but it still seemed out of character to lie to everyone.  He wanted to check out this Justin Taylor a little more.

"I think he said it was here for another few weeks.  I think all the pieces are sold, but you could go see his work.  It's phenomenal.  The gallery is only open until 6:00 except during shows; so I won't be able to join you.  I know you'll like his stuff."

"What gallery is it again?  I was so caught up in your news that I didn't hear."

 "It's the June Kelly Gallery.  They show new and established artists."

"Ok.  I'll check it out.  Congratulations on the new boyfriend.  He's a lucky guy.  You're a great catch."

John smiled and nodded his head.  "Thanks.  It's late and I do have an early morning tomorrow."  He threw down a 20 on the table, hugged Peter goodbye and walked out the door.

Peter left Milady's and went home to Michael.  Turning his conversation with John over in his head, he was still disturbed by the information that John shared.  John was not one to lie, yet he did to both him and his sister and even his boss.  He was hoping Michael was awake when he got home because he really wanted to talk to his partner about what John was saying.

Michael was reading a professional journal, Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy, in their bed when Peter came home.  Peter smiled and walked into their bedroom. 

"So how'd it go?" Michael asked as he put down his book and patted the bed next to him.

"Okay," Peter said as he leaned down and kissed him and then sat down on the bed.  Michael moved over to make more room for him on the bed.

"That doesn't sound very encouraging.  Want to talk about it?" Michael said as he leaned over to give Peter a kiss on the cheek.

"John said he met a guy in Pittsburgh and he was visiting him."  The glow from the light on the table illuminated Michael's face, giving him a glow against the dark wall.

"That doesn't sound so bad, why the scowl?"  Michael asked as he saw the deep lines on Peter's face.

"He lied to everyone.  He told his boss he had family stuff, he told me that he had work stuff and he didn't tell his sister anything."  Peter cupped his hands and ran them over his face as if to push away the thoughts.

"But you knew all that. What else is bothering you?"

"I just have this odd feeling.  He said the guy has a show here in town at a gallery.  I think I'll go look at it this week." Peter's stomach growled softly and he put his hand on his belly.   He looked sheepishly at Michael.  "Guess I was too distracted to eat."

 

"Go get some cheese.  I left some cut squares in the fridge.   That way you won't wake up really light headed." Michael pointed his finger toward the door and tilted his head.

Peter nodded his head and stood up, walking to the kitchen and placing a few crackers and some cheese on a small plate.  He poured himself a little wine to go with his late night snack and returned to the bedroom.   Michael had closed the journal, placing it on the nightstand and was sitting up waiting for his return.  He smiled when he saw a small plate of food and a glass of wine in his partner's hand.  Peter sat on the edge of the bed, placing his glass of wine on the nightstand and ate some of the snack.

"Want some cheese?  Crackers?"

"No.  I had dinner and I think it'd be a good idea for you to eat something if you're going to drink that wine."

"I always said you were a smart man."   Peter swallowed his last piece of cheese and put his plate on the end table. 

"Okay.   Trust your gut.  Maybe going to see the gallery will give you some peace of mind.   But right now I think someone promised me some action before he left.  I think you should take off your clothes and join me."  Michael gave Peter a mischievous smile and raised the covers in invitation. 

Peter didn't need a second invitation and was soon ready for bed where he joined Michael for some much-needed release.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments welcome-  hope my readers are enjoying the story