- Text Size +

The alarm jarred Peter from a sound sleep.  He'd had some difficulty falling asleep last night after the visit to the gallery and his talk with Michael but the familiar beat of Michael's heart beneath his head had lulled him into sleep.  He stretched his arms over his head and yawned widely as he glanced at the clock with its glaring red glow.  He hated mornings in fall and winter when it was still dark outside and he had to venture out to the cold apartment.  While he loved his job, the thought of getting ready this morning was less than appealing.  He remembered his unfinished project and how he would have to put the extra hours in today and tomorrow in order to make his deadline.  He quickly felt resentment towards John for his role in this extra work.  If it hadn't been for his odd behavior and the phone call in the middle of the afternoon, he would not have to be working late. 

He quickly chastised himself for his thoughts as John was his friend and he really thought there was something odd going on.  He remembered Michael's dismissal of his concerns and his offer to have John over for dinner and he felt a little relief.  Once Michael talked to him, everything would be sorted out and then he could return to his "normal" life.  The snooze on the alarm sounded and he shut it off, pulling the warm blanket from his body.  Leaning over he kissed Michael before he padded to the bathroom to get ready for his long day.

By the time he finished his shower and dressing, Michael had gotten up and was making coffee.  They had their morning routine down to a science.  Sometimes Michael would pour cereal in bowls or break the eggs for an omelet, but he would have the beginnings of breakfast ready when Peter emerged from the bedroom.  While Peter drank his coffee, Michael showered and dressed and then they would eat breakfast together.  They would chat for a few minutes and fill each other in on their plans for the upcoming evening; if they were going to be late or had an after work commitment and then they would leave to catch the subway. 

Peter took a bite of his cereal, thinking about their conversation last night.

"I'm going to call John and invite him to dinner tonight. The sooner you talk to him, the better I will feel about this whole "new boyfriend".

"Sure.  I have an early day today.  I can pick up some Italian bread from the bakery and make some spaghetti. What time do you think you'll be home?"

Peter slammed down his hand.  "Shit!"

Michael recoiled slightly from the unexpected outburst, looking at his partner for an explanation. 

"Sorry.  I'm going to have to work late since I left early yesterday to go to that damn gallery.  I might not be home until 8:00 or later."

"Ok.  Why don't you invite John anyway? This would give me time to talk to him alone." Michael scooped some cereal into his spoon.

Peter leaned over and kissed Michael on the lips and smiled.  "I love you.  Thanks."

"My pleasure.  I want you to stop worrying.  You tossed and turned half the night.  I know you were just rehashing every conversation you've had with John in the last few weeks."

"Damn.  You know me so well." Peter smiled at his partner and felt a slight calm come over his body, knowing that Michael had his back.

"I do.  Now we need to get moving or you'll never get home tonight and have to sleep at your office."  Michael reached for both cereal bowls and put them in the dishwasher, and then walked to the bedroom to gather his briefcase, wallet and cell phone.

___________________________________

When he got to his office, he called John.

"John.  I was talking to Michael last night and he mentioned he hasn't seen you in a few weeks and I suggested we get together for dinner. Are you free tonight?"

"Sure.  It will be good to spend a night with you two guys. What time should I get there?"

"About 7:00."

"Great.  See you then. Bye."

Peter hung up the phone and frowned.  Did I just lay a trap for my best friend?  What the hell constitutes a trap?  Inviting him to have dinner with me and my therapist boyfriend to give said therapist a chance to see if he is delusional is not really a trap.  I'm not telling him what to say about his new boyfriend.  I'm just asking him over for a friendly dinner.  I really hope that Michael blows my fears out of the water, but I really don't think that is going to happen.  There are some things that friends just know and I know there is something not right with John.

"Peter.  Peter!" Alan said.

Hearing his name brought him out of his thoughts.  He looked at his door to see his boss, Alan standing there with a concerned frown on his face.

"Everything okay?  You left early yesterday and you seem to be in a fog this morning. I called your name three times before you answered me."

"Sorry.  Is there something you needed?"  Peter fiddled with the pencil on his desk rolling it between his fingers.

"Just wanted a timeline on the Bigelow project?" Alan said.  He was dressed in Khakis and a yellow shirt with a red pullover.  His short brown hair was parted in the middle and his boyish looks made him appear younger than his 40 years.  Alan had founded the company and handpicked each of the staff.  He prided himself in knowing his staff more than just an employee and tried to support each of them when needed.  "Are you sure there is nothing going on?  You seem distracted the last week or so."

Peter toyed with the idea of sharing his concerns with Alan but in the end, decided that this would be unfair.  After all, these were John's problems, not Peter's and while Peter had shared personal information in the past, he didn't want to share this as he wasn't sure what exactly he was sharing. 

"Just got a friend going through some things.  Thanks for noticing.  I'll try and finish the Bigelow project by tomorrow afternoon.  I plan on staying a little late tonight."

"Ok.  They've moved the deadline till a week from Tuesday so you have some extra time.  I'll let you work, but remember I am willing to listen if you need an ear." Alan smiled an encouraging smile and left the doorway to return to his office.

Peter nodded his acceptance and booted up his computer, clicking on the familiar file to start on his portion of the project.  His day went by quickly as he loved his work and was so immersed in it that it was 2:30 before he realized he had not eaten lunch.  He had certain portions of the project that needed completing before he could stop for the day so grabbed an energy bar from his desk drawer and continued working.  He hoped that with the extended deadline, he might be able to make it home before John arrived.

 

Ted picked up the files of the candidates that were to be interviewed tomorrow.  He'd chosen 5 candidates to interview but starred three of them as most promising.  There was a man from New York, John Scott, that he thought would be a wonderful addition to their art department.  He wondered briefly why someone from New York would choose to relocate to Pittsburgh but then realized that Kinnetik's reputation was increasing in the boutique markets.  If the man was as good as his portfolio showcased, he could be a star in their company and gain some recognition.  New York was a very creative place but few companies had the ability to offer the growth that Kinnetik did.  Something niggled at his brain but he couldn't figure out what it was.  He dismissed his thoughts as being too busy running Kinnetik and his fear that he would forget something important and brought the portfolios to Cynthia for review one last time as well.

 

John finished up his day and went to say goodbye to Darren. 

"You have all the information on the new account, Organza?" Darren asked as he smiled at John.  John was looking really happy these days. He had been friends with him for about 5 years and had seen him go through some bad relationships.  He hoped John might have found a new love interest. 

"Yeah.  I'm looking forward to seeing Pittsburgh.  I understand it has some really interesting tourist attractions." John moved into the office and sat in one of the blue chairs that were opposite Darren's desk. 

Darren laughed. "You're not there to be a tourist, just to pitch to the company.  Besides, nothing compares to good ole New York when it comes to attractions.  I bet you haven't even been to half of the tourist stuff here in our fair city."  Darren picked up his copy of the file on <i> Organza <i/> and scanned it quickly.  "They have a real niche market.  I trust your skills to provide them with a new vision."

He picked up the file from Darren and reviewed it again, nodding his head as he read the familiar information.  "I'm ready.  I have done my research, but I will try to get a little time to sightsee.  We may have the monopoly of most tourist sites in one city, but they do have the Incline."  He hated deceiving Darren but he was looking forward to visiting Pittsburgh.  He would put his best pitch forward for the company, but he had another agenda as well.

He'd received a phone call last week to interview with Kinnetik.  He'd accepted the opportunity immediately.  He couldn't believe his luck.  Kinnetik was the company that Justin's "friend" owned.  He remembered investigating it and applying for a position there a few weeks back.  Hopefully, he would be able to meet "this Brian guy" and make him realize that he was Justin's true partner.  He would find Justin, talk to him, show him they were meant for each other and make him understand that he forgave him for being with Brian while John was away.  He just knew that Justin had not forgotten him and was just with Brian because he had returned to Pittsburgh.  He had figured it all out.  He would interview with Kinnetik and introduce himself to "this Brian".  He would get Brian to understand that he and Justin were together and to leave the two of them alone.  Once Brian accepted the truth, he would get Justin to return to New York where he belonged.  It was all very simple and easy.  He was very excited about the turn of events in his life.  But for now, he had to get home and change and meet Michael and Peter for dinner.  He couldn't wait for them to hear his news.  He knew they would be excited for him.

They talked for a few more minutes and John stood up to leave.

"I better get moving, I'm meeting my friend Peter and his partner for dinner."

"Say hi to Peter for me.  Tell him he should come by the office soon.  It's been a while since I saw him."

"Will do.  I know you guys go way back.  Sometimes it is really a small world. Those six degrees of separation are real phenomena."

John arrived for dinner about 10 minutes to 7.   He brought a bottle of Schmidt-Schone Reisling with him and brought it to eye level when Michael answered the door.  "Here you go.  I know you guys love the stuff.  I'm a beer drinker, but my mother always taught me to bring a gift when you visit."

"Thanks.  But you didn't need to do that, John.  You really aren't a guest; you're one of Peter's oldest friends.  Come on in.  I'm just finishing the dinner and we can visit while I set the table," Michael said as he grabbed the bottle and took it to the kitchen, placing it in the fridge to stay cold until their meal.

John didn't question where Peter was and followed Michael into the kitchen.

Michael added a little water to the pot on the stove and turned it in low heat.  He grabbed a jar of olives and a bag of fresh broccoli from the fridge and placed them on the peninsula.

"I haven't seen you in ages.  Tell me what's new in your life."  Michael asked as he got out the tray for the hors d'eouvers.

John sat on the bar chair that was next to the peninsula.  He watched as Michael carefully scooped out each olive and let the juice drain before placing it on the tray.

"I have a new boyfriend.  His name is Justin Taylor and he's from Pittsburgh.  You might have heard about him.  He's an artist."  John said with pride in his voice.

"Oh.  That's exciting.  Where did you meet him?"

"I met him at his show.  He's got an exhibit at the June Kelly gallery.  We met at the opening."

Michael did not want to ask too many questions, waiting to see how much information John provided before he probed.

"I've met up with him for a week about three weeks ago and I'm going back to see him in a few days."

"Met up with him?"

"Oh yeah.  He lives in Pittsburgh.  I forgot to tell you that."

"Pittsburgh."

"Yeah.  He's from there and comes here to show his work.  It's a real pain but he likes it. It was like Karma or something.  I told him I was going to Pittsburgh to present to a client for work and I mentioned it to him, and then he invited me to pose for his next piece."

"Tell me about him.  He sounds really interesting."

"He grew up in Pittsburgh.  He went to school at Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts and his work has been shown at The Bloom Gallery, Tamarind, and Apex.  And get this, he co-created Rage, the comic book."

Alarm bells went off in Michael's head as John's description sounded suspiciously like a bio. 

"What do you guys like to do, besides the obvious?" Michael asked, hoping to get a better picture.

"Hang out.  He paints a lot so I just watch him." John reached out and grabbed an olive off the tray. Michael smiled and pushed the now filled tray towards his guest.  John picked up two more olives and popped them into his mouth and then pushed the tray back for Michael to finish placing the cut up broccoli and the mushrooms and carrots on it. 

"Since your company is sending you to Pittsburgh, I imagine they are paying for a hotel.  Is his place close to the hotel?"  Michael knew that was a little personal, but he pushed anyway.

"Justin said he would pick me up." John knew Justin lived on the outskirts of town, having been there on his recent trip.  He frowned when he thought of "Brian" being there with him.  He was so lucky to have fortune on his side; Darren sending him to present a new pitch to <i> Organza<i/> was so perfect. "It's kind of far from my hotel and he didn't want me to have to take a cab."

"Is his studio close to his home?"

"I don't know.  I've never been there."

With this answer, Michael made up his mind.  John just told him he watched Justin paint and yet he didn't know if his studio was far from his residence.  John made it sound like he'd been to both places, but when he couldn't give a reference for general proximity Michael's suspicions were confirmed.  The cab answer was a little suspicious; John having taken a few moments to answer, but this was a definitive one. John was definitely lying.   

"You said you met at his opening.  Was it love at first sight?  I remember when Peter and I met."

"Oh yeah," John got a faraway look in his eye as he remembered. "He asked me how I liked the exhibit and we talked for at least 10 minutes about the show, his technique, his inspiration, but then he had to talk to some other patrons." John then frowned, remembering how Justin kept getting pulled away by some woman, who insisted he needed to talk to ‘these' people.

Michael said, "He had to go talk to other patrons."

"Yes. But he came back and talked to me a couple of times during the evening.  Afterward, there was a party, a dinner gathering of a few patrons and I went.  He chose to sit right next to me and we talked the whole time. He said if I was ever in Pittsburgh I should look him up."

"Didn't you go down there a few weeks ago?  I thought I remember Peter telling me you went."

"Yeah.  He called me a few days after the opening and invited me down.  I went for a week.  I met his friend from high school, Daphne and we went to the mall by his house and ate at Red Robin.  Then we went to his house.  He lives in this big beautiful old Tudor Mansion.  Kind of far out from Pittsburgh, but I guess he can afford it."

The door opened before John could share more of his story and Michael was filled with a mixture of happiness and dread.  Michael walked over to Peter and kissed him soundly on the lips.  Peter returned the kiss.

Peter walked into the living room where John was getting the corkscrew out of the cabinet, having been at his friend's place many times and told to always make himself at home. 

"Hi.  Sorry, I'm late.  I had to finish a project at work."

"No worries.  Why don't you go change?  I'll finish setting the table."  Turning toward Michael, he said, "Go help Peter change. Don't take too long, but I know how Justin and I are when he leaves the studio in the evening."  He grinned and shooed the two men toward the bedroom while he grabbed the glasses from the cabinet.

Michael quietly closed the door and watched as Peter unbuttoned his khaki's and grabbed a pair of soft, well-worn jeans.

"I hate to tell you-you're right, but there is no doubt that John's lying.  His story just doesn't add up and when I asked him to tell me about Justin, he sounded like he had memorized a professional bio.  He talks in generalities about what they do but he has some specific information about his personal life that is really disconcerting.  I think we need to call that agent again and see if she's told, Justin.  If she hasn't we need to do so.  I don't think he will harm him; he appears to believe they are together.  I'm more worried about the boyfriend.  He may see him as a threat and try to get him out of the picture."

"Shit!"

"Shit is right. I'll talk to him some more tonight, but we need to have another talk with the agent tomorrow."

"I was so hoping you were wrong and that I was just overly worried about John."

"Me too.  I was so sure you were exaggerating his behavior, but it just goes to show that best friends can be therapists too."

They returned to the kitchen area and spent the evening talking about John's upcoming trip and his relationship/non-relationship with Justin.

TBC