- Text Size +

 

Brian and Justin made their way down to the kitchen. Brian opened the fridge and hunted for some left overs but didn't see anything that enticed him. Grabbing some cheese he took out a cutting board and sliced some.  He took some crackers out of the cupboard and placed them on a plate along with the cheese. Taking two beers out of the fridge, he brought them all to the table.  Justin sat at the table and took a few slices of cheese and placed them on a cracker, taking a bite.

"Gourmet food," Justin said as he took several more bites.

"Kinney cooking at its best," Brian said as he made a small sandwich with the cheese and crackers. 

Justin ate a few more cheese and cracker combinations and drank his beer, but didn't say anything.  Brian needed to know that he was ok and as much as he hated talking, this was one instance he felt the need to explore Justin's thoughts.  He watched his partner eat in silence, the lack of words demonstrating to Brian how not ok Justin really was.  Typically meal time was a time for them to share their day and to connect to each other.  He watched Justin eat in silence and not even attempt to make small talk. 

"Those things he said....I never... I wouldn't...." stammered, his eyes down cast, staring at some small cracker crumb on the table.

"They're words, Justin.  Actions speak louder than words," Brian said.  He reached out to place his hand over Justin's and gently squeezed and then he leaned over to place a soft kiss on his lips, knowing that Justin would understand the message.

Justin waved his hand across the table, moving the few crumbs to one pile. "We should call Carol. She'll want to know."

Brian took out his phone, looking at the time on the display. It was still early, only 7:30. Scrolling through his address book, he hit the button for Carol, Justin's agent.

"Brian.  Is everything alright?  Has something happened to Justin?" The alarm in her voice evident. 

"Justin is fine, a little shaken, but fine.  The stalker has been caught and he's in police custody."

"How did they catch him?  Did they find him in New York?"

"He had the gall to apply for a job in Kinnitek and came for an interview."

"Oh my," Carol said.

Brian filled her in on the details of the interaction.  As he retold the events of the afternoon, he glanced at Justin, recognizing the hand wringing and the poor eye contact as signs of stress in his partner.  As much as he disliked talking, he decided the next person to call would be Daphne. 

"Thank you for the call.  I'll let his friend Peter know.  I'm glad Justin is ok."

"He wasn't harmed." Brian did not elaborate, but he was fairly certain Carol could read between the lines and understand that Justin was most definitely not "ok" in psychological terms.

"I'll talk to you in a few days.  Take care of him."

"Thank you.  I will."

Brian hung up and called Daphne, repeating the information to her.

"Should I come over?"

"Yes," Brian answered, happy that he didn't have to ask for help. 

"Be there in about half an hour."

"I guess I should call my mom," Justin said when Brian hung up with Daphne. 

"Yeah.  That'd be good."

Justin felt for his phone in his pocket but his pocket was empty.

"I guess it's upstairs."  Justin stood up, feeling like the weight on his shoulder was lifted but still feeling incredibly sad.  He was happy that the stalker appeared out of the picture, but now that issue had been resolved, there were still others ones that weighed heavily on him.  Walking up the stairs, it was all he could do to pick up his foot and plant it on the stairs.  Locating the phone on the night stand, he picked it up, scrolling for his mother's icon and then dialed.

"Justin.  Hi Sweetheart!  How are you?  I haven't talked to you all week," she said without malice or accusation.

"They caught the stalker," he said, no feeling in his words as if he was telling her that he had cheese and crackers for a snack.

"That's wonderful.  I'm sure you're relieved," she said, the excitement evident in her voice. She felt a calm go through her body; the constant edge of being on alert releasing at the news. 

"Yes," he said, again lacking any conviction.

"Justin...." She wanted to explore his lackadaisical answer and could hear in his voice that he was troubled, but she did not want to push.  It was enough that he called her and told her and she knew that she would find out more from either Brian or Daphne.  She wasn't trying to go behind Justin's back when talking to either of them and neither would break his confidence but she knew if there were problems she could count on them to fill her in.  "I love you and I'm glad he's caught.  I'm sure you have a lot to take care of.  I'll let you go and talk to you tomorrow.  I'd love to know the details, but that can wait.  Go celebrate with your husband."

Justin clicked off the phone and placed it in his pocket, and then sat on the bed.  He scrubbed at his face a few times and just stared into space, letting his mind wander.   The stalker was caught.  It was a guy from New York.  He really freaked me out when he started hugging me in Brian's office.  It was so weird, like we'd known each other and he was expecting me to hang out with him. I know Brian said he believed me, that I didn't know the guy, but.... 

Justin had been gone for a while and Brian went upstairs to check on him.  He found him on the bed just staring.  Sitting down, next to him, he watched his partner and waited, hoping Justin would share his thoughts.  He didn't really like to carry on long involved discussions just to keep the quiet at bay, but he knew his partner was struggling with a lot of issues and he wanted to be there for him. 

"Hey," Justin said when Brian sat down.  "I called my mom."

"Good."

"What do you think the police will do with him?"

"Not sure."  Brian leaned over and gave Justin a quick kiss on his cheek.  "Maybe we should call Carol back and see if she reached the guy that came to the gallery.  I remember her saying something about his partner being a therapist."

"Did you call Daphne?  Is she coming over?"

"Yes and yes," Brian said not correcting his partner, knowing Justin was there when he called, but choosing not to remind him that he heard the call.

"I'd like to hear her viewpoint."

"That could be helpful.  I'll go down and make sure the lights are on outside.  She said she would be here in half an hour," Brian said as he stood up to leave.

"I'll be down in a minute."

Justin went to the bathroom and splashed water on his face and took a look in the mirror.  His reflection hadn't changed since this morning, but he felt different.  The idea of the stalker had been abstract, a couple of letters mailed to his home was definitely on the creepy meter, but having said guy talk to  you face to face and profess his love was something entirely different.  It was more real and could not be placed in the back burner of his mind.  Justin heard the front door open and he went down stairs to meet with Daphne.

She opened her arms in greeting and Justin allowed himself to be engulfed in the familiar embrace.  He let go and they walked toward the living room.  Brian fixed Daphne a drink of iced tea and brought it to her, placing it on the coaster on the coffee table.

"How did you guys catch him so fast?  I mean, he sent those two notes in the mail and you just found out his name a few days ago.  Did you see him on the street or in the gallery?"  She leaned back against the couch cushions and felt the cool liquid slide down her throat.

"He came to Kinnetik," Justin said.  "He'd applied for a position in the art department.  I walked in to meet Brian and he started saying crazy stuff, like he was so glad I was there... he was going to wait to meet up with me, he loved me...."

"Lots of bat shit crazy lesbian love talk.  Sounds like he's watched too many love stories on tv.  Then he starts hugging and kissing Justin, professing his undying love and how he's so glad they are out in the open now," Brian said as he retold the bizarre events from earlier today. "Sally called the police while Ted and I pulled him off Justin."  Brian rang his hands a few times when he remembered the events.  "And then the stupid cop wasn't going to do anything, until I told him we had a restraining order.  He finally arrested him and took him away."

"Justin, even your stalker has drama," Daphne teased. 

Both men rolled their eyes, but both smiled a little at her teasing.

"Didn't you say that the guy had a therapist friend?"

"His friend dates a therapist," Brian said clarifying. 

"Didn't he call Carol?"

"Yeah. He thought his friend was acting weird and went to see Justin's show in New York.  He ran into Carol there and they started talking. Normally I don't think she would have said anything but something made her talk to him.  Strange how things work," Brian said, thinking again how this whole chain of events had unfolded.

"Maybe I should call the friend. After all, he did tell Carol. Hopefully he can come down and take care of his friend. The police won't be able to hold him."

Justin sat up straight, hearing Daphne's words. The adrenaline shot through his body and he moved toward Brian.

"What the fuck!!! He practically attacked Justin in my office.  What do you mean the police will let him go?"

"Legally, they can arrest him for not following the restraining order.  They will fine him, but they aren't going to keep him unless they can prove that he is likely to cause harm to himself or others."

"He's a threat to Justin," Brian practically screamed.

"A threat has to mean that he will do bodily harm to him.  There is no evidence that this will happen.  The man has declared his love for Justin, not some revenge plan.  They will probably keep him overnight, and maybe have him talk to a psychiatrist, but that is unlikely.  Most likely, they will tell him to stay away from Justin."

"Shit! Mother Fucker!  I thought we were done with this drama."  Brian turned toward Justin and hugged him close to his body.  "Guess you aren't released from the gang brigade just yet."

"Do you have the friend's number?  Let me call him and tell him what I know.  I'm sure he can help."  Daphne gave Justin a big hug.  "Well figure this out."

Brian pushed his chair away from the table and walked up the stairs to their bedroom.  He pulled out Carol's card and flipped it over verifying Peter's name and number was on the back.  He was not a man who believed in prayer but today he hoped that between Daphne and Peter, the stalker, John, would be removed from their lives. 

Handling the card to Daphne, she took it and walked into the media room to make the call.

"Hello, may I please speak to Peter Helio?  I'm Daphne Chambers, a friend of Justin Taylor."

TBC