- Text Size +

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 10






Bree walked between her daddies, each one holding her hand. She looked down at her pink patent Mary Janes as they proceeded down the lane to the new cottage. Bree wanted to wear one of her dresses since they were going to a dinner party, as her Dada called it. She thought she looked very nice in her pink flowered sundress.

“Dada, why isn’t Gus coming to dinner with us?” Bree asked.

“He and Ray wanted some time alone, so they’ve gone to a restaurant in Harrisburg.”

“Oh? Will JR be there?”

“Yes, and Candy and Richie,” Brian replied.

“And Michelle and…” Justin added.

“Yay! Michelle!”

“And don’t forget Cindy. She’ll be there too, but I thought you might be happy that Michelle is home,” Justin said with a smile.

“Hurry up, Daddy,” Bree said pulling on her father’s hand in her hurry to get to the new cottage … and Michelle.

“Evening, Professor,” Brian said as Ben opened the door for them.

“Come on in. Everyone’s pretty well here.”

“Thanks,” Justin said as he handed Ben a bottle of wine.

“Drinks are on the counter when you’re ready,” Ben informed them.

“I’m going to speak to Michael,” Brian said. Michael was indeed ensconced on the sofa, not lying but sitting with no intention of getting up. Brian was glad to see that. He didn’t think Michael should be having this dinner party at all.

“Michelle!” Bree yelled as she saw her mentor and friend across the room. She sped across and practically leaped into Michelle’s arms. “I don’t see you in forever,” Bree said as she hugged the breath out of Michelle.

“You’re getting so big,” Michelle said with a happy smile. It was great to have such an enthusiastic reception.

“I know,” Bree agreed. “I miss you.”

Michelle grinned. “Did your Dada do your hair?” Bree nodded making her off center ponytail bob in response. “I thought so. He has a way with hair, but you really need pink fingernails to go with your outfit.”

“I know, but my daddies don’t like doing nails,” Bree said with a pout.

“How about you come over tomorrow and we’ll have a girls’ day. I have some pink nail polish that will look divine.”

“Ooo, divine,” Bree said happily.



*****



“So, Mikey, this party looks … all right,” Brian said as he sat down beside his old friend.

“I’ll take that as your stamp of approval,” Michael replied with a chuckle. Some things never changed, and that was good.

“You make sure you don’t overdo,” Brian cautioned.

“I’ve been ordered to sit on my fat ass until dinner is served. Then I can move to the table.”

“Good,” Brian said, “and your ass isn’t that fat.”

“Thanks, I think.”



*****



“And we found all this great stuff,” JR was telling Justin.

“Some of it is great,” Lindsay cautioned.

“I want to use some of the jewelry in my clothing designs,” Richie said happily.

“Is Emmett helping you?” Justin asked. The young people sounded like they had had a great day “antiquing”.

“No, Emmett just encourages me. The designs are all my own idea.”

“Is that what you want to do with your life? Fashion design?”

“Oh yes, that’s what I really want to do. It would be so wonderful if that happened,” Richie said with a faraway look in his eye.

Justin could imagine that Richie was picturing himself winning a design competition or setting up his own fashion house. “There used to be a show a long time ago, called Project Runway,” Justin explained. “Unknown or just starting out designers had to compete in design competitions and try to make the best outfit. One designer was eliminated each week.”

“I wish there was a program like that now,” Richie said. “What did the winner get?”

“He, or she, got to show at fashion week in New York.”

“Wow!”

“Maybe by the time you’re ready to start your career there’ll be a show like that again.”

“I’ve already started my career,” Richie said with a smile. “I’ve started dressing people for proms, and I’m going to see if any of the stores on Liberty Avenue might let me sell some pieces.”

“You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you,” Justin said. He could see how serious Richie was. Not many young people knew what they wanted to do when they were so young. Justin could see a bit of himself in the young man.

“I don’t think I could do anything else,” Richie affirmed in all seriousness. “Fashion is it.”

Justin felt a chill run down his spine. It was good to be committed to something, but it hurt so much when people told you that you couldn’t do it. Justin remembered the choice he had to make when his father refused to pay for PIFA. He wanted his son to go to Dartmouth, and that was the only education he was willing to pay for. Justin knew Richie wouldn’t face such a choice, but there might be critics and stores that would denigrate Richie’s designs. They might not be to the popular taste. It was hard being on the fringe.

Justin looked at the hopeful face in front of him. He hoped that Richie didn’t face too many rejections. That could kill any dream. Justin vowed to help if he could.



*****



“Dinner is served, well, not served, it’s ready,” Emmett babbled. “It’s laid out on the counter, so please grab a plate and help yourself. You may sit anywhere.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Brian said as he passed by his tall friend.

“You thanked me!” Emmett said in amazement.

Brian stopped and turned towards Emmett. “I do appreciate when you take over some of the cooking duties. There’s a limit to how much grilling I actually want to do.”

Emmett chuckled. “You are so full of shit!” Brian raised an eyebrow. “I know you appreciate everything your friends and family do for you and Justin. But don’t forget that we get a lot out of it too.”

“Is that right?” Brian said slowly. “Like full bellies and a place to stay.”

“Like good friends who would do anything for us, and lots of happy times together.”

“Shit, Honeycutt, you’re going to make me weep.” Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and tried to look nonchalant.

“Oh, go get your dinner, you big old phony,” Emmett ordered. He had noticed the shiny drop in the corner of Brian’s eye.

“Watch the old cracks,” Brian warned, but there was nothing but warmth in his voice. “I hope the food’s edible,” Brian mumbled as he walked away.

Emmett merely grinned.



*****



Everyone found a spot to sit. Bree was situated at a table with all the young people. She was in seventh heaven with so many girls around.

Emmett, Drew and Ben had rounded up all the tables from the new cottage and from other houses on the lane. People were seated in groups of four to eight with whoever had an empty seat. Patrick stayed with his dads, deciding that sitting with Bree wasn’t worth having to listen to all the girlie talk that would be going on at that table. Lindsay took his place, happy to spend time with the young people, and talk about what they had found on their excursion. George and Rachel joined them as well, since their daughters were enjoying time with the other young people.

Gerry joined Brian and Justin who probed for some information about how his dates with Todd were going. Gerry had learned to be tight lipped about his personal life many years before. He refused to fill them in on anything, so they ended up talking about Michael. Gerry continued to be hopeful that the exercise program and good food, along with plenty of rest, could have positive effects on Michael’s condition. Emmett and Drew joined them when everyone had gotten their food.

Michael sat at a small table with Dr. Dan and his wife. Dan was going to examine Michael before he left after dinner. Ben was glad to have a doctor nearby. He knew that everyone in the family had lots of respect for Dr. Dan’s ability.

Brian kept an eye on Michael watching for signs of fatigue. When the main course was done and people were getting dishes of fresh fruit for dessert, Brian saw Michael yawn and stay seated. Ben brought his husband a small dish of fruit. Michael picked at it listlessly. Just as Brian was about to get up and go say something to Michael, Dr. Dam leaned across the table and spoke to Michael. He and Michael got up and headed for the bedroom down the hall. Brian breathed a sigh of relief. Dr. Dan would look after Michael.



*****



“It’s so peaceful out here,” Lindsay said wistfully as she sipped her glass of wine. She and Justin walked out onto the patio. John had installed solar lampposts similar to the ones in the Village Garden and in the back of Emmett’s bistro. The lamps gave off a warm glow, lighting the area without obscuring the starlight.

Justin agreed as he sipped his own glass of wine. He looked at Lindsay inquisitively as she began to laugh. “What?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh but I find it amusing and amazing watching both Ben and Brian hover over Michael. I don’t think they even realize they’re doing it.” She and Justin giggled.

“You know Michael was always jealous of Ben because he got to fuck Brian. He was always worried that they would reconnect again. Brian and Ben I mean,” Justin clarified.

“Makes sense, if you think about it,” Lindsay remarked.

“How?” Justin asked curtly.

“Justin, don’t make anything out of this.”

“Then explain to me why you think that Brian and Ben would make sense together.”

Lindsay sighed, mentally kicking herself for bringing up the subject. “Try to be objective, okay?” Justin nodded. “Brian and Ben are both successful and respected in their fields. They both have a quiet way about them and both are stunningly good looking. And both so physically fit...and tall. Need I go on?”

“No, I get the point. So why is Brian with me?”

“Because he loves you,” Lindsay said as she knocked on the top of Justin’s head with her knuckles. “Any fool can see that. He’s hopelessly and totally in love with you. And they would have eventually gotten bored with each other; they’re too alike. Ben and Brian are with the right partners.” Lindsay sighed.

“Lindz, are you okay alone?”

“It’s okay, Justin, really it is. It’s about time I learned what it’s like to be self reliant. To depend on myself, make decisions by myself and live with the consequences. And I’m enjoying the peace. Sure I miss having someone to sleep with, someone to share the events of my day with. But truthfully, those moments were so few and far between. I’m learning about myself, and you know something?” Justin shook his head. “I like the new and improved Lindsay Peterson.”

Lindsay smiled. Even in the dim light of the patio, Justin could see how at peace Lindsay was.

“I like her too. You seem content,” Justin observed. “I haven’t seen that expression in your eyes for a very long time. In fact, I think the last time I saw that look was the night you had Gus and you let me name him.”

Lindsay and Justin hugged for a moment.

“Can I paint you?” Justin asked.

“Excuse me?”

“I want you to sit for me.”

“I, you don’t want to paint me. Paint JR or Bree. Why would you want to paint boring old me?”

“Lindsay, you’re far from boring and no way are you old. You’re a beautiful, vibrant and accomplished woman. I want to paint you. I could do it from memory, but I haven’t painted a live model besides Brian for a long time.”

“Are you getting bored with flowers?” Lindsay asked.

“Nooo,” Justin replied with exaggeration. “But I think I’d like to do something more than still life.”

“You’ve been commissioned to do several large portraits.”

“That’s work to make the rent.” Justin grinned at Lindsay. “This would be for fun. I could turn it into a show.”

“I don’t think anyone would be interested in looking at me. Brian, maybe, especially one of your nudes.”

“Then let me paint you in the nude.”

“Justin!”

“Lindsay, I’ve know you since I was seventeen. I lived in your house. I’ve seen more of you than I care to. And just in case you’ve forgotten, I’m gay.”

“Oh ha ha!”

“I can do a series of nudes so you won’t be lonely.”

“A series?”

“Yeah. I can get Brian...”

“Oh big whoop. Half the world has seen him naked.”

“Only the gay half. I wonder if John would sit for me and Gus,” Justin mumbled to himself. He had that look in his eyes that forewarned a big artistic project was in the making. He had that same look when he was engrossed in his henge. “And Ben and Drew, oh they would be magnificent,” Justin went on as he walked deeper into the yard leaving Lindsay standing alone under the lamppost.

“Well, this sort of looks familiar. A blond standing under a lamppost. But I don’t recall that blond having tits,” Brian snarked then he bent his head down to kiss Lindsay’s cheek. “What’s up with our Sunshine?”

“He’s plotting his next project,” Lindsay replied.

“Ah, his next...oh no, not another henge or other project requiring tools?” Brian asked in horror making Lindsay laugh.

“No, nothing like that. He wants to paint portraits.”

“Yeah, and…?”

“Specifically, nudes.”

“So?”

“Well, he wants to paint you.”

“Goes without saying. Bum foot or not, I’m hot.” Lindsay smacked Brian’s arm.

“Conceited bastard is what you are. He wants to paint a series of nudes including me...” Brian waggled his eyebrows at Lindsay. She blushed. “Your brother and Gus. He was also mumbling something about Ben and Drew.”

“They’re hot too. But Gus and John?”

“Brian, if you’re hot then...”

“Yeah, yeah, I get the point.”

“Jealous?”

“No, but I’m not sure if I could see my son naked.”

“You did change his diapers and bathe him.”

“Yeah, but now he’s a man.”

“I think a series of nudes would be well received but I’m going to have to convince him to include, um...I’m not sure how to phrase this.”

“Not so ‘hot’ people?”

“Yes. Artists study the human form, learn the musculature in school. Of course, it’s fun to draw and paint attractive models.”

“Like me?” Brian winked then struck a pose.

“Yes, but you can find beauty and imperfections in anyone.” Brian gave her an incredulous look. “Brian, would you consider Debbie hot?” Brian's eyes opened wide. “You’re an adman, how would you sell someone like Debbie, for instance?”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Her eyes and her smile,” Brian said softly and without hesitation. “She has loving eyes.”

“See. Brian, I look at you and see a stunning man. If I look a little closer, I see that your nose is maybe a little too long and your chin a little too pointed. When I look at myself, I see a crooked smile, small boobs and no waist.”

“I think you’re beautiful.”

“That’s because we had sex and you would never have sex with someone not hot,” Lindsay teased.

“Am I really that shallow?”

“Bri, that was a long time ago and you were being you, Brian Kinney. And the Brian Kinney of that time had standards. We all knew it. Your tricks knew it, so don’t start kicking yourself about it now. No apologies, no regrets.”

“Okay, if you insist. Lindz,” Brian began as he brought her into his arms. “Are you happy here? No bad memories?”

“Justin asked me a similar question. I’m fine and I love it here. You guys did a wonderful thing for the family, building this place for us.”

“More for our sanity than anything else.”

“Bullshit. You love having a full house, but we always felt that we were taking advantage of your generosity. All of you. Now when we invade, we’ll have someplace else to camp out rather than in your living room.”

Brian gave her a squeeze.

“Have you started dating?” Brian felt Lindsay shake her head. “Why not?”

“Not ready, and I’m not sure if I want to date women.”

“Having a craving for some real dick?”

“I’m not craving anything,” Lindsay said as she smacked Brian’s chest. “You’re a beast.”

“I bet you say that to all the boys. Lindz, I don’t care if you fuck a man or a woman. I just want you to be happy,” Brian said as he stared into Lindsay’s eyes.

“I know,” Lindsay said as she gazed back into Brian’s eyes. In the dim light his eyes looked as dark as the surrounding woods.

“I love you,” he whispered, pulling her into his chest again.

“I love you too,” she replied.

“Hey, Bri?” Justin called out from across the yard.

“Yes,” Brian answered still holding Lindsay close.

“Can I paint in your greenhouse?” Justin asked. Lindsay snickered.

“Why?” Brian asked out loud. “I think I’m going to regret this,” he murmured to Lindsay.

“I think the plants would make a perfect backdrop for my models.”

“And what kind of models are we talking about? Palms? Koi?”

“Um, people - naked people.”

“Just my kind of people!” Brian said as he and Lindsay laughed out loud.

“Lindsay told you about my next project,” Justin said as he joined them. Brian held out his arm for Justin to sidle under.

“Yes, she did,” Brian said as he bussed Justin’s head. “And I think it’s a great idea. But I get to supervise when you paint Bobby, Drew and Gerry.”

“What about Ben?” Justin asked, just going with the flow.

“Been there, done that,” Brian snarked as he gave both blonds a squeeze, kissing them both on the cheek then leading them back inside. The blonds just shook their golden heads.