- Text Size +

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 6



“Morning,” Brian greeted Gerry as he quietly tiptoed through the front door of the cottage.  It was very early; Gerry did not want to disturb the family.

Gerry jumped, startled by Brian.  “Whoa, wear a bell, will ya?!”

“Now why would I do that?  That would ruin my know all, be all rep,” Brian snarked.  “How was the Honey Bear?” Brian inquired as he walked into the kitchen then poured Gerry a mug of coffee.

“Fine,” Gerry replied.  Brian arched a brow then smirked.  “Okay, more than fine,” Gerry said as he sipped his coffee.  They were sitting on opposite sides of the granite counter. “You know, I never had the guts to go into Babylon when I was younger.  I would drive by, look at all of the men and women going in and out, all having fun and I’d think to myself, why am I so scared? Now, I’m a bit too old to be hanging around in clubs.”

Brian reached over to pat the big therapist on the back.  He knew what it was like to be accused of being an over the hill club boy.

“But you’re not too old to go out with a nice guy like Todd.”

“He is nice.  He’s smart, fun to talk to and not pushy.”

“In other words, he’s not going to frighten the bi-curious by jumping your bones on the first date.”     

“Yeah.  We had a nice meal at The Honey Bear.  We talked, we danced...”

“And?”

“We kissed.”

“Did we like it?”

“Yeah, we did.”

“And did we do anything else besides kiss and talk?  You can tell your Uncle Brian,” he teased, batting his seductive hazel eyes.

“You’re my patient.  I don’t discuss my personal life with my patients.”

“You announced that you’re leaving us, that makes me your ex-patient.  So spill.”

Gerry sighed as he rolled his eyes.  “We kissed and touched and I think I’d like to do more.  So we made another date.”

“See, that wasn’t so difficult, was it?” Brian asked as if he was talking to Bree.

“No,” Gerry admitted.

“Now, why are you leaving us?” Brian asked, glaring at Gerry, suddenly shifting gears.

“Because I’m not going to take your money plus free room and board, and give nothing in return.  Justin has full range of motion in his arm. All he needs to do is to continue with his exercises to regain the strength in his arm.  It won't happen overnight but he will regain full strength. It’s up to him to follow through.”

“Bree will see to that,” Brian remarked.  They clinked coffee mugs.

“As for you, you’ve progressed as far as you can until the doc says you’re ready to ambulate without the boot.  I have nothing more to do. I might as well do it back in the city.”

“Todd is here,” Brian pointed out.

“And I know how to drive,” Gerry countered.  The men glared at each other for the moment. Gerry weakened under the pressure from the master.  “I suppose I deserve a vacation. I’ve been working non-stop for years. But I don’t like sponging off you guys!”  Gerry stubbornly added.

“You’re not sponging.  I’ll admit doing a little matchmaking when it comes to Todd...”

“A little?” Gerry commented.   

Brian narrowed his eyes making Gerry’s hands go up in surrender.  “But I have another reason for wanting you to stick around.”

“I knew you had a ‘thing’ for me,” Gerry innocently smiled.   

Brian snorted.  “If I wanted you, I would’ve had you weeks ago,” Brian said smugly and with all confidence then went on.  “Do you remember Michael?” Gerry nodded. “One of the reasons that John is working fast on the new cottage is that Ben and Michael will be spending a lot of time here as soon as the cottage is done.  I think Michael will need your services.”

“Do you know his diagnosis?”   

Brian nodded and Gerry looked at him expectantly.  “I was told in confidence.”

“I understand.  Can I assume it’s not fatal?”  Brian nodded and Gerry relaxed.  “Well, there are several conditions that can affect a man of his age including MS and Parkinson’s but I’m not going to speculate.  I’m a patient man so I’ll know soon enough. But I’m still not happy about sponging off of you.”

Before Brian could contradict Gerry, Emmett swished through the front door with a quiet, “Helloooo.”  He placed a basket of fresh muffins and popovers on the counter.

“What brings you down here so early,” Brian grumbled as he poured Emmett a cup of coffee then freshened Gerry’s and his own cup.

“I was inspired early this morning so I just had to cook up something!”  Emmett gave Brian a toothy smile and a waggle of his eyebrows.

“Spare me the details of your sex life,” Brian snarked as he rummaged through the basket to find a popover then took a bite.

Gerry snickered at their easy banter and the double entendres.

“Sooo, tall, hunky and unsure of your sexual orientation,” Emmett began as he got into Gerry’s face.  “How did your date go with Todd?” Emmett demanded to know.

Gerry looked around the tall fairy who was in his personal space to glare at Brian.  “Does everyone know that I went out with Todd?” Gerry asked. Brian, who was concentrating on his popover, just shrugged his shoulders.  Gerry sighed. “My date went very well, thank you.”

“So, does that mean you’ll be a fixture around here for a little longer?”

“Possibly, if I can find a way of staying here without staying here.”  Gerry pointed down at the floor indicating the cottage. “I don’t want to take advantage of Brian’s generosity,” Gerry said with just a hint of sarcasm.   

Brian lifted his head from his muffin momentarily to sneer at Gerry.  Emmett giggled.

“Is that all?  Well me and Drewsie have a spare room that you are more than welcome to use until John finishes up the cottage which should be any day now.  The furniture will be arriving soon. We just have to set it up and make the cottage homey,” Emmett announced proudly. “And there’s more than enough room in the new cottage for you too!”

“Why am I sensing a conspiracy?”  Gerry looked at the two men suspiciously.

“Not a clue,” Brian and Emmett stated blandly.

Gerry looked back and forth at both men then waved his hands up in the air in frustration.

“I’m going to shower and change.  Please allow me to help with breakfast?” Gerry asked noting that it was just about time for the family to be stirring and starting their day.

Brian nodded his assent then Gerry left the kitchen.  Without looking up, Brian raised his hand, Emmett gave him a high-five then went back to his own coffee.



*****



Michael looked at the ID on his cell phone then tossed the phone onto a chair.  Michael was resting on the couch in the living room.

“You can’t avoid her forever,” Ben said wisely.

“Sure I can,” Michael retorted.  “I have nothing to say to her.”

“She only wants to know how you’re feeling.”

“How does Mel know anything about me?”

“She’s not stupid and I’m sure she’s spoken to JR.  You haven’t sworn JR to secrecy.”

“It’s still none of her business,” Michael said obstinately crossing his arms over his chest.

“You’re absolutely right.  However, that’s not how Melanie sees it.  You are her daughter’s father and if you are incapable of caring for JR, Melanie has the right to know,” Ben said logically but in a gentle tone.

“I can take care of my daughter,” Michael insisted.  Ben could see that Michael was getting tired and upset so he quickly changed the subject.

“I got a call from John this morning.”

“What does he want?” Michael angrily spat out.

“Nothing, just to let us know that the cottage is ready.  He and Emmett and some of the students who are interested in interior decorating are still tweaking a few things but the cottage is ready to be inhabited.”

“Really?  That was quick.”  Michael relaxed, his voice softening.

“John was motivated to work double time.”

“For me?”   

Ben replied only with a smile and a nod as he began to pull their suitcases out of the hall closet.

“So are you going to help me pack?” Ben asked with a big smile.  In his hands were two large suitcases.

“Yup!” Michael replied enthusiastically, mustering up all the strength he could.  “Let’s do it.” He said following his spouse up the stairs to their bedroom.



*****



“Hi, Unca Mikey,” Bree gushed as she ran up to Ben’s car to greet her almost uncle.

“Hi, cutie pie,” Michael said wearily.  He found the trip from the city tiring, just like he found everything tiring these days.  He hauled himself out of the passenger seat.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Bree said wrapping her arms around his thin waist.

“Did your Dada tell you to say that?”

“No, why?” Bree asked with a frown.

“Um, no reason,” Michael said lamely.  He seemed to see the worst in everyone’s motives.  He was in another foul mood like he seemed to be most of the time.  It took too much effort to be cheerful.

“You remember Ashley, don’t you?” Bree asked.

“Hi, Ashley,” Michael responded.

“Uncle Michael’s a little tired,” Ben said as he started hauling suitcases out of the trunk of the car.

“Michael, I’m glad you’re here,” Brian said as he came hobbling down the lane with his boot cast still on.  Bree and Ashley had been able to outdistance him with no trouble at all. He gave Michael a warm hug and a buss to the temple.

“I’m glad to be here, I think,” Michael replied with a wan smile.  “I wish I had some energy to help with the bags.”

“Not a problem,” Brian said moving to the back of the car.  He and Ben each pulled up the handle on a bag, and dragged it towards the new cottage.  “Be warned, Emmett’s inside waiting to give you the fifty cent tour. You better be impressed with what he’s done or he’ll have a hissy fit.”

Ben laughed.  “I’m sure it’s wonderful.”

“Yeah, wonderful,” Michael said with little enthusiasm.  “I’m not sure my eyes can stand fuchsia.”

Brian and Ben chuckled.  Bree stuck her hand in Michael’s and started pulling him towards the new cottage.  Ashley placed her hand in Michael’s other hand, and they escorted him towards the building.

“The outside looks great.  The plants make it seem like it’s always been here,” Ben said.

“Did you do the design, Brian?” Michael asked as he trailed behind with his two little girls.

“Of course,” Brian said smugly.  “I think it turned out very well.”

“Goes without saying when you’re involved,” Ben chuckled.

“You always were a man of discriminating taste, professor.”  Ben nodded. “How’s he doing?” Brian whispered, looking back over his shoulder at Michael and the girls.  They were half dragging Michael towards the new cottage in their excitement.

“He’s so tired and listless,” Ben said with a shrug of his shoulders.  “The doctor says it will be a long, slow recovery.”

“But he will recover.”  Brian said it as a statement of fact not as a question.

“He has to.”  It was Brian’s turn to nod.

“Come on, Unca Mikey,” Bree was saying.  “It looks so pretty inside. Auntie Emm is waiting.”


“I’m coming,” Michael said wearily.  “Um, it’s not purple, is it?” he asked as the thought struck him that purple was one of Bree’s favorite colors, and this was Emmett that they were dealing with.  “Or tangerine?” he asked in horror. He wasn’t sure his eyes could handle that.

“I can’t tell you, Unca Mikey,” Bree said.

“It’s a surprise,” Ashley added with a big grin.

“Oh no,” Michael groaned fearing the worst.

“You’ll like it, Unca Mikey,” Bree assured him.  “It’s beautiful.”

“Beautiful, huh?” Michael said as they neared the doorway.  Brian and Ben were waiting for them to catch up.

“Are you ready for this, Mikey?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“I don’t think so,” Michael said in all seriousness, and he really meant that.

“Oh come on, Michael, it can’t be that bad,” Ben joked.

“You remember, I lived with Emmett for many years.  It can be that bad!”

Brian opened the front door.  “Try it, you’ll like it,” he said and stepped aside waiting for Michael to cross the threshold.

Michael let go of the girls’ hands and moved up beside Ben.  He looked pleadingly at him, silently asking his husband to spare him from the shock of what he was about to see.

“It will be okay, Michael,” Ben said softly.  He took his husband’s hand and they walked inside leaving the suitcases on the doorstep.

Michael squinted his eyes hoping the colors wouldn’t blind him.  Then he slowly opened them as they got inside. “Oh my God!” he gasped.

“Hi, honey, I did this all for you.  I hope you like it,” Emmett said with a little squee of delight at seeing his old friend.

“Emm, I…”  Michael didn’t know what to say as he turned slowly taking in the main living room and communal kitchen of the new cottage.

“Take your time,” Emmett told him, holding his breath and praying that Michael liked what he had done.

“Emm, it’s fabulous!” Michael said.  He continued to turn in circles taking it all in.  “It’s so … peaceful.”

“I thought the pale green and the earth tones would make it feel that way,” Emmett said, happy that Michael seemed impressed with what he had done.

“I couldn’t ask for anything better.  Thank you, Emm,” Michael said giving his old friend a big hug.  “I love it.”

“I’m so happy you like it, sweetie.  We all want you to be comfortable here, and get well real soon.”

“I think this will be perfect,” Michael said.

“We have two more levels,” Emmett said.  “Want to see them.”

“I…” Michael began.

“I think Michael could use some down time,” Ben said stepping in when he saw the tired look on his husband’s face.

“Yeah, I could.”

“We have two bedrooms on this floor,” Brian said as he hauled in the suitcases from the front door.  “Why don’t you use those for now? That way you won’t have to negotiate the stairs all the time. You can decide which part of the house you want to be yours when you’re feeling better.”

“That sounds like an excellent idea,” Ben said quickly.  He grabbed the suitcases and headed to the first bedroom.

“Need any help with unpacking?” Emmett asked.

“Um, no, I think we’ll be fine,” Michael said looking longingly towards the door through which Ben had just disappeared.

“Michael, go lie down,” Brian ordered.

“Thanks,” Michael said with a tired smile for his friend.  “It’s been a long day. And thanks, Emm. The place looks wonderful.  Thank John too. He did a wonderful job with this place.”

“Go!  Lie down!” Brian repeated.

“I left you some dinner in the fridge,” Emmett said as Brian grabbed his elbow and shoved him towards the door.

“Thanks, Emm,” Ben called from the bedroom.

“Jeesh!” Emmett griped.  “You could give me a minute to tell them how to warm up their dinner,” he said as Brian firmly closed the front door behind them.   

“They’re big boys.  They’ll figure it out for themselves.”

“Dada, is Unca Mikey okay?  He didn’t look so good,” Bree said with a frown.

“He’s not feeling too well, but all the fresh country air and peace and quiet…”  Brian looked pointedly at Emmett.

“Okay, okay, I get the point,” Emmett said.  “I’ll stay away.”

“Good,” Brian replied.

“Do I hafta stay away too, Dada?” Bree asked.

“Yes, for now, you do.”

“I don’t like it.”

“I’m sure you don’t, Squirt, but that’s how it is.”

Bree stomped her little foot, but then she and Ashley followed Brian and Emmett back to Edna’s Treasures.

“Is he settled in?” Justin asked as they all entered the kitchen.

Brian nodded.  “He was kind of tired.”

“Did you invite them for dinner?’

Brian shook his head.  “I think Michael needs to rest more than he needs food.”

“He’s skinny,” Bree announced to them all.  “I felt his bones when I hugged him.”

“Did you now?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes, Dada.  We should fatten him up.”

“That will be one of our jobs while Michael and Ben are here,” Justin agreed with a smile.

“We could make Gamma Susan’s chocklit chip cookies,” Bree said hopefully.

“Yes, I suppose we could,” Justin agreed.  “Maybe tomorrow after they’ve had some time to rest.”

“’Kay, Daddy, but me and Ashley get to help.  Right?”

“Yes, you can help.”

“And we get to lick the spoon?”

“Yes,” Justin agreed.

“And the bowl too?” Ashley asked hopefully.

“I think that could be arranged,” Justin said with a laugh.

“I believe I have some popovers left, and that looks like a fresh pot of coffee.  Shall we enjoy a little snack?” Emmett asked.

“I think that could be arranged,” Justin repeated. They all had a laugh as they got settled at the kitchen table.