- Text Size +

Chapter 11


It was mid afternoon by the time Brian and Gus arrived in Pittsburgh. The flights gave Brian and Gus time to talk.  It was the first time Brian had brought up Shelby. He didn’t say much about it but reminded him to be careful with his heart.  They spent a lot more time talking about Jamie and how Gus was feeling about that.


 Brian had a message to call Blake as soon as they landed. Brian caught a note of importance so he sent Gus ahead to get their luggage and called Blake once he was alone. Brian called Blake, “Hey, Brian, thanks for calling me back. Justin and I had one of our sessions today and he told me you were coming with Gus.  I think that is a good thing.”


“What’s up, Blake?  Did JR leave treatment or something?”


“No, she is doing very well.  Tomorrow she plans to meet with Michael, Lindsay and Mel along with you but she wants to talk with Gus first.  I can’t tell you why but I think Gus might need you. Actually, if you are planning to patch things up with Michael anytime soon, this might be the time.”


“Well, what is it?”


“I’m sorry but I can’t tell you.  That is up to her but can Gus come over soon.  Are you still at the airport?”


“Ya, we should be able to be there in the next hour, hour and a half.  Blake, how serious is this?”


“It’s a game changer. I plan to stay here until they have talked.  See you soon.”


Brian was trying to figure out what could be the problem.  Gus really didn’t need more stress. He was a mature kid but he really was a kid yet.


A car was waiting for Brian and Gus so they sat in the back, side by side.  As they pulled out the driver asked for the address and Brian gave him the clinic.


“Pops, I thought we were meeting there tomorrow?” Gus stretched his long legs in the seat.


“The message I got was from Blake.  JR wants to talk to you before you are there with the parents. He honestly didn’t tell me anything, just to stop by.” Brian felt Gus tense so draped an arm around Gus’ shoulders. “He did say she has done really well in the program.”


Brian felt Gus relax and ruffled his hair. “Don’t think about it. Maybe she just wants to see her brother.” Gus dropped his head onto Brian’s shoulder.


“I’m so glad you are here with me. Are you going to talk to Michael?”


“I think it’s time.”


“It is, Pops.  It has been too long.”


“I agree.  I thought about inviting the whole gang over tomorrow night since your moms are in town.  Do you think we should have the family over too?”


“Maybe we can get together with them Saturday or Sunday.  I would rather have time with them alone.”


“Sounds good to me.  I will talk to John and Peter and see what we can work out.”


The car slowed down and pulled in front of the clinic. Brian asked him to wait and he followed Gus into the building. “Hey, Gus, Brian, glad you made it.” Blake shook both of their hands. “Gus,  your sister has done so well in the program. She is determined to succeed.”


“I am really glad to hear that,” Gus responded. “But she wants to see me alone?”


“Yes, she was hoping you would be able to talk to her before the rest of the family. Let me take you to her room. I’ll be back in a minute, Brian.”


In a few moments Blake was back.  “Brian, come to my office. I have permission to tell you what is going on.”



Gus knocked on the door. “Come in,” JR called out.


Gus walked in and the first thing he thought of was how good JR looked.  It was obvious she had been sleeping and eating well. “JR you look really good.”  She waved him over and he gave her a big hug.


They talked for a few minutes.  Gus told her all about the vineyard and how much he liked it out there and then told her about his breakup with Jamie.  He downplayed the breakup when he saw her looking uncomfortable.


“JR, I’m glad you want to talk to me but it sounds important.”


She stretched out on the bed facing away from Gus. “Will you lay by me, big brother?”


Gus laid next to her and she reached back and took his hand, pulling it around her laying it on her stomach.She laid her hand over his.  Gus smiled a bit to himself. She really had put on a bit of weight in here.


“Gus, I have a secret and I need to share it with you before the parents find out.”  Gus kissed her head and tightened his hold a bit. “Gus, I told you about my boyfriend, right?”


“Yes,” he said softly.


“Gus,” she squeezed his hand and then pressed it tighter against her stomach. “I would like you to meet your niece or nephew.”


Gus froze. Did she just say what she thought she did?


“Gus, please say something.”


“I don’t know what to say other than I love you and I will help anyway I can.”


“I know I am too young to keep this baby.  I am sure by now you can actually feel my bump.  I’m three months along and won’t get an abortion at this stage.  But, I know I can’t raise a baby and I don’t want our moms to either.  I can’t see him or her every day.” Gus pulled her tight.


“JR what are you going to do?”


“I’ll have the baby and give it up for adoption.  I would like to have some choice on who got the baby and would love to be able to hear see pictures at least some times. But I am a little worried because I did drink and take drugs when I was pregnant.  What if no one wants the baby because it might have problems?” She turned and clung to Gus.”I’m scared, so scared.” And she cried.


After she finished crying and pulled herself together. She sat up.  “I know you need to go. I just need you to have my back tomorrow.”


“I will always have your back, Jennie.  I love you.” Gus gave her a hug and walked to the door.  “I will be back tomorrow and I have not only your back but all of you.”


Gus walked off the unit and toward Blake’s office. He was really confused. All he really knew was he wanted to go kill that guy.


He almost walked past the door but then stopped and knocked. The door opened and Brian was the only one in the room. “Hey, Gus, how is JR?”


“She looks really good. Do you know?”


“Yes, she gave Blake permission to tell me so you wouldn’t be without support.”


“Let’s go home, Pops.  I just want to go home and think about this.”  The ride home was silent.


After arriving home, they carried their bags in and Gus dropped on a stool by the counter.  Brian walked over and sat next to him taking his hand. “If you would rather talk to your dad I won’t be hurt or Becca would listen.”


Gus looked up into Brian’s face. “Pops, why would I need to call Dad when you are right here, unless you don’t want to talk about it.”


“Gus, I am always here to listen to you. How is JR dealing with this.”


“She is being very grown up about it but she isn’t grown up.  She is just a kid. I know all the parents will be supportive but our moms and Michael are going to have meltdown.  I just hope they can hold it together while they are with her.” Gus got up and walked to the doors, looking out over the pool toward the guest house. “Pops, tell me if I am off base but do you think JR and Peter and Becca could help each other out.  JR knows she will put the baby up for adoption but she would love to be able to get updates She is worried no one will want the baby because it could have issues do to her drinking and drugs.”


“Wow, Gus, I don’t know why I am surprised you would try to help right away.” Brian walked up beside Gus and put an arm around his shoulder.  “Just remember it isn’t your job to solve this but I am so glad you are there to support your sister.”


“Is it wrong I want to kill the guy.  I mean she is just a kid and he is my age.  I’m serious. If he was here right now I’d…”


Brian turned Gus to face him and took him into his arms.  “That wouldn’t help anything, Gus. I have a feeling Mel will take care of him in the courtroom.  Just show JR the way a real man acts and next time she will hopefully choose better.”


Gus held on to Brian tightly. “Pops, don’t ever doubt you got this dad thing. Thanks for being here.”  He kissed Brian and then stepped back. “Do we have any food in this house?”


“I doubt it. No one’s been living here.  Pizza, Chinese? Or we could go for Italian.”


“I don’t feel like going out. Either of those are fine. I think I am going to need a good night sleep, knowing what is coming tomorrow.”



Gus did head to his room early so Brian just went to his bedroom too and gave Justin a call.  Justin’s warm voice came on the line. “Hi, Baby. How was your trip? Did you connect with Blake?”


“The trip went fine.  We did go to the clinic.  I am guessing he didn’t tell you what the call was about.”


“No, he was very professional.”


“Well, JR is pregnant.  She wanted to tell Gus before the parents so he would be there for her.”


“Oh my god, she is so young. How is she? How did Gus deal with it?”


“Our son is amazing.  She will have the baby and give it up for adoption. Gus instantly thought of Becca and Peter.” There was a pause. “Why do I hear your wheels turning now?”


“I think that is a good idea. An amazing idea.”


“The problem is, will the baby have issues due to her drugs.” Brian had a note of concern  in his voice.


“Well, if anyone could deal with that it is the two of them but I am not sure we should get involved. Have you talked to Michael yet?”  Justin changed the subject.


“No, how do I approach that when I know he is going to be a grandfather before he does.  I was wondering if I should talk to Ben first. I was thinking about having them and Mel and Lindz over tomorrow night.  Wish you could be here. I miss you already.” Brian was lying on the bed he had shared with Justin for so long. “What are you doing, Sunshine?”


“I have the house to myself right now.  Chantel invited Brinn to eat dinner with her family so I have an hour more to myself.  I am in the studio.”


“I wish I was there to help you create more images for your paintings. I would love to take a paddle right now and heat up that perfect ass of your.”


“Oh, god, Baby, you are going to get me all worked up aren’t you?  I just want to taste your lips and your skin, and then I would move down to my favorite treat in the world. I would run my tongue…”


“Oh, shit, that did it.  Now I have a raging hardon and no one to help me get rid of it.”


“I am sure there are toys in that room yet.  I think we even have automatic blow job toy there somewhere.”


“Sunshine, no machine is a substitute for you. It wouldn’t know how to stroke me or…..I want to slide my fingers down your crack and when I get to that spot I am sure I could make you scream.”


“There is no doubt….how long are you going to be gone.”


“I have no idea, yet. It was too late to check with the judge when we got here.  I will connect with him in the morning. Hopefully, he can squeeze us in tomorrow afternoon.  Gus wants to have the family over on Sunday. I need to go into the office on Monday and maybe Tuesday. I am sorry, Sunshine.  I will do my best to get home on Wednesday. I know you leave Friday.”


“Actually we are leaving Thursday so Shelby can take Brinn on a fieldtrip.”


“I so want to be home before you leave so we can make love in the hot tub, in your studio, oh, and …. I need to stop this. I love you, Sunshine.  How’s our girl?”


“Tricky, change the subject.  Shelby is testing Brinn. She has this idea our second grader could be in junior high by the end of the semester.  Am I ready for that?”


“She is your daughter. Of course she is brilliant.”


“She is our daughter.”


“Yes, she is.  Now and forever but you  know what I mean. She has your genes along with both of our hearts. Are you planning to talk to Shelby about Gus?”


“I don’t know, I’ll have to see if there is an appropriate time. Baby, I would love to keep talking but I really need to get going.  Brinny will be back any minute.”


“I will come home as soon as I can. Miss you so much.   I love you, my darling.”


“I love you, too.  Take care of our boy.  Say ‘hi’ to all of our friends.  Goodbye, Baby.”


“Goodbye, Sunshine, kiss my girl for me,” and the line went dead.



It was early when Brian woke to a knock on the door.  Brian woke from a sound sleep, “Gus?”


“Can I come in?”


“Sure, come on in Sunny Boy. Join me.”  Gus sat on the edge of the bed and then laid down next to his dad. Brian pulled him close.  “This bed was really lonely without your dad last night.”

“I know it’s different but my bed has been really lonely, Pops, really lonely.  I miss him so much.”


Gus cried in Brian’s arms for a bit. “I know Dad doesn’t want me with Shelby,” he said with a wobbly voice, “but I just miss having someone to love, someone who will love me.”


“Gus, at first I told your dad to let you live a little.  There is nothing wrong with sex. But I think I know why he was concerned now.  You love hard. You have made love with people you care about but just sex doesn’t seem like your style.  Your heart is so much more open than mine ever was. We are just concerned about you. If you can work it out with Shelby and make something work, go for it.  Just be careful. Repairing a heart isn’t something you can do overnight.”


Gus kissed Brian. “What was it like when you grew up, Pops? What did you do when you needed someone to listen to you?”


“I left the house as fast as I could.  I usually went to Michael’s and Debbie often figured out something was bothering me.  At least, I was away from the house and that alone helped. I would never talk to my parents about a problem.  It would have just been my fault,” Brian’s voice trailed off.


“I shouldn’t have asked.  I’m sorry.”


“Your dad is the only reason I figured out how to love, really love.  We were really lucky he came into our lives. Hey, you have a birthday next week.   Any ideas for a present?”


Gus’ focus drifted and his face went solemn. Brian’s hand skimmed Gus’ cheek.  “If I could give you that, Sunny Boy, I would.” He hugged him once more. “I think we might as get up and how about we go to the Inn for breakfast and a little time with family before heading to the clinic.”


“That’s a great idea.  I’ll be ready in half an hour.”

“I will give John a call and warn him they are getting company.”



After a great breakfast with John, Tony, and their kids, they made plans for Sunday lunch and left for the clinic.  “I am not family so won’t be in the meeting but I will stay close. Maybe I will talk to Becca for a while and I need to call the judge and see if he can meet this afternoon. Brian had called Ben and asked him to bring Michael early.  He wanted to talk to him. Blake had given them a room to meet in and Ben brought Michael there. Ben sent him in and went to wait in the outer office. “Hey, Mikey,” Brian stood up as he walked in the door. Michael stopped in his tracks. “You’re looking good.”


After a moment’s hesitation Michael took a step toward Brian with his hand out. “Are you serious?” Brian said with a smile he opened his arms and Michael stepped into them, instantly holding onto him tightly.


“I’m so sorry, Brian.  I shouldn’t have overreacted like that and after I did I shouldn’t have been so bullheaded about it. I don’t know what we would have done with JR if Gus hadn’t come to help us.”


“He is a great kid. He is also hurting right now.  His boyfriend broke it off because of his family but to Gus, family is everything. He had to come to help JR. Come over to the house tonight.  I called the girls and they are coming out. I am going to see about Ted and Emmett. It will be just like the old days minus Sunshine. I am just picking up Italian and there is plenty to drink in the house. Do you think your mom could make a pan of lemon bars?”


“We would love to come and I will check with mom. Brian,” he looked into Brian’s eyes.  “It’s good to ….I’m glad we cleared…” Brian kissed him. “Go on, go talk to your daughter. Gus said she looks good.”


“Gus saw her?”


“Yes, last night.  She wanted to talk to her big brother.”


Ben popped his head in, “They are ready for us.” He smiled as he saw Brian’s arm around Michael’s shoulder.  “Now that's what I like to see. Michael walked over and Ben kissed him.


“See you tonight.  Dinner is at 7:00.”  Brian watched them walk away and felt for them. Many of his friends were about to have their world shook.


He stayed in the room and called the judges office.  He was put on hold and when the clerk came back on the phone.  “The judge will see you and your son at 1:30 pm. He doesn’t have a lot of time so please be on time, Mr.Taylor-Kinney.”  He thanked her and said goodbye. He called Emmett and invited him and then called the office. He invited Ted and then they talked about work for a while.


Thirty minutes later, he saw Lindsay and Mel walk out the front door.  Michael and Ben came out next. Ben had a supportive arm around Michael. Brian stepped into the hall expecting Gus to come out.  Instead he saw Becca. “Uncle Brian!” She gave him a big hug. “Peter told me you were around and we are getting together on Sunday. It is really quiet when you are all gone.” There was a note of sadness in her voice.  


“How are you doing, Becca? Do you have any new prospects on the family front?”


“No, nothing.  I know we are still young but we have so much love to share.”


“I know you do.  Have you met Gus’ sister while she’s been here?”


“No, I work with outpatients while this is Blake’s baby.”


“Gus is back there with her now.  Do you think you could get me back there just to say hi?”


“I’ll take you back but I will have to ask her permission before you go into her room.”


“That would be great.”


Becca brought Brian back and called Jennie Rose’s room. She said he was welcome so she went back with him.  


“Jennie Rose, you look beautiful.” Brian kissed her cheek.  “Let me introduce you to my nephew’s wife, Becca Kinney.


“Nice to meet you Jennie.”


“JR is fine.  That is what most people call me. I am glad you and dad finally patched it up.”


“So am I.  How are you feeling?”


“I won’t say it has been a lot of fun but I feel better now and of course,” she laid her hand on her stomach, “there are a lot of changes to come.”


“If there is anything we can do for you, let us know.  Gus said you are thinking adoption is the way to go.”


Out of the corner of his eye he caught Becca’s look. “Well, Gus we need to get moving. The Judge is squeezing us in.  You two can say goodbye. I will see you in five minutes.” Brian walked out with Becca.


As soon as they left that part of the clinic, Becca grabbed Brian. “You can’t tell me you didn’t plan that.”


“Plan what? I didn’t plan for a fifteen year old to end up pregnant. She is concerned and she should be that the baby may be affected by her drug use.  She is looking good and healthy now but that baby took drugs and drank with her for a couple months just when development was starting. Gus and I aren’t getting anymore involved.  I hope it works out Becca.”


Gus walked out and Becca hugged him, “I didn’t really say hi to you.  I think you get better looking every time I see you. I may have to trade Peter in for a younger model.”


“Hate to break up the reunion but we do need to get going.  See you Sunday or feel free to stop by the house tomorrow.” Both Gus and Brian kissed one of her cheeks at the same time and they were gone.


“So you were pretty subtle there connecting those two.”


“I told Becca we weren’t doing anything else. If she and Peter are interested it is up to them to proceed.”


“Thanks, Pops.  That was a perfect way for them to meet. Now, I take it we are going to meet the judge?”


“Yes, he is fitting us in at 1:30.  Do you need something for lunch or would you like to go some place nice when we are done talking to him.”


“I don’t think I could eat right now.  I have to admit I am a little nervous about this meeting. Pops I still can’t forget about that man who died.  I have come to terms with the fact his death wasn’t my fault but I was the only one to blame for totalling my car.  I don’t know if I ever apologized for that. You gave me such a great gift and…”


Brian reached over and took Gus’ hand. “Gus, you have atoned for your sins enough already. I believe the judge will see what we do. Your heart shows through everything you say and do. I know the judge has checked all of us out.  When we go home I hope it will be with your record wiped clean and your license in hand or at least permission to get it.”



At 2:00 pm Brian and Gus walked out of the judge’s office.  “Call your dad, Gus. I know he is waiting to hear from us.”


Gus called Justin. “Gus, are you done with the judge?  What happened? Did it go well?”


Gus laughed, “I’ll tell you if you are done asking questions.”


“Sorry, I have been thinking about you all morning, wondering what happened with JR and then with the judge.”


“Well what do you want to talk about first?”


“I want to know what happened with the judge.  That’s what effects you the most.”


Gus put the phone on speaker so Brian could be included. “Morning, Sunshine, did you get some sleep last night?”


“Hi, Baby, you didn’t help that I couldn’t stop thinking….”


“Hey, Dads, I’m in this conversation.  Please stop before I get sick.”


Brian and Justin both laughed.  “Please, Gussy, tell me what happened with the judge,” Justin responded.


“The judge asked what I had been doing the last three months. I told him I had spent my time with family most of the time and that when I was out on the road with the band I didn’t drink.  He asked what my plans were for the future and I told him I was very interested in the wine business after being on the vineyard. I told him I was starting online classes second semester and about the renovations to the cottage.”


“That is great, Gus.”


“Anyway, he complimented me, well really you and Pops, on my working through everything and setting goals. Short story long, I am going to get my license now and Pops are on our way to celebrate.  We are going to the deli and after that, I’m not sure.”


“Hey, Sunshine, just by chance Becca met JR today.” Brian said.


“Oh, I am sure you didn’t.  Can you excuse us for a minute, Gus.  Take it off speaker and hand the phone to your dad or you will hear things you don’t want to hear.”


Gus laughed, “Love you, Dad.  Give Brinn a hug for me. Here’s Pops on private.”


“You  nearly killed me last night.  All I could do was think about you and me and feeling you deep inside me.”


Brian groaned out loud.


“Say goodbye, Dads, before you make me sick.”


“Bye, Sunshine, I love you.  Call me when you go to bed tonight. Wake me up so I can lay with you.”


“I love you, Baby.”


Brian and Gus grabbed  lunch and headed back to the house to get ready for dinner.  The house was clean so they made sure they had the drinks they needed.  Brian realized they forgot mixers. “Hey, Gus, how about using that new driver’s license and get some mixers for dinner.  We could use some tonic water, some seltzer, and some soda.


“I …. Sure… I can do that.”


“Take whatever vehicle you want.  Just use the credit card I gave you.”


Gus took the keys for the SUV and walked out to the garage and opened the door.  He got in behind the wheel and put the keys in the ignition. He couldn’t turn the key.  His hands began to shake and his heart began to race.


It had been about ten minutes when Brian realized he never heard a car start.  Brian stepped into the garage and saw Gus in the driver’s seat. He appeared to be frozen. Brian walked around to the driver’s door and pulled him into his arms. “I am sorry, Gus, that was so stupid. Your dad would never have been so dumb.”

“I just couldn’t turn the key.  I got so scared, frozen really. What if…. What if…”


“Gus, I’ll go with you if you still want to try.”


He nodded.  “I think I need to.”


Brian got into the passenger seat. He put his hand on Gus’ shoulder. “Turn the key, son. You will be fine.  I understand the fear but I have faith in you. You have always been an excellent driver. One accident doesn’t change that. Go ahead, turn the key.”


Gus started the vehicle and took a deep breath.  He put the car in reverse and slowly backed out of the garage. He glanced over at Brian.  “Thanks, Pops. Thanks for not making me feel, well, stupid. You weren’t stupid. Not everyone would freak out like I just did.”


Gus slowly drove to the store and they picked up what they needed.  This time Gus got behind the wheel and started it right up. Brian could see he was still very uncomfortable but he did it. When they arrived home, Brian put an arm around Gus’ shoulder and they each had a bag of drinks.  “Gus, if you ever need a copilot just ask. Maybe I could be your wingman tomorrow night and I can get you into Babylon. It is nothing like the place it was when I was a kid but you would definitely have a good time.”


“What would Dad say about that?”


“He doesn’t need to know everything we do….but you know I will tell him everything. I can’t lie to that amazing man. You know that.”


“I’ll think about it. I really could use…..some relief.  I wish Angi was around but of course she is at college. Did you really just go off with anyone for sex?


“It was a different time and I was very different than you. You want honesty?”  Gus nodded. “I could be with several men in a night without leaving the premises. I know I was really screwed up but it was just the way it was back then.  Babylon is much different today. I still own a majority of the place but Ted runs the business end. I haven’t been there in months. Usually once or twice a year your dad and I stop by for an hour or so.  It is still a dance club but there are no back rooms for sex and although I am sure it goes on it isn’t open.”


“I’m just glad you came out of it healthy.  I know lots of them didn’t.” Gus started setting up the bar area while Brian got out place setting.  Together they prepared for their guests.


“Gus, I am not sure what is going to happen tonight.  I am afraid it isn’t going to be pretty at times. Michael and Mel are bound to have words at some point.  I hope they are civil but anytime you want to leave, feel free. I hope they go to another room to have it out so it doesn’t ruin everyone else’s time.”


“I want to be involved to speak for Jennie.  Our moms think they know her but they don’t. She told me so. I promised I would.”


“I got your back, son.”


The doorbell rang and the food from the restaurant was delivered. Dishes were put in the oven and refrigerator.  The next time it was Gus’ moms at the door and they started talking about Gus’ life in California and his plans for college. Next to arrive was Michael, Ben, and Hunter.  “Hey, Hunter, I didn’t know you were in town. I’m glad you came along.”


“I was in the area and when my dads told me about JR I knew I needed to come by.”  Hunter stated.


“You’re always welcome, Hunter. “ Brian gave him a hug.  “Since you finally quit trying to get into my pants.”


Hunter laughed, “It has been a long time since I wanted to get into a guys pants.  My wife keeps me perfectly happy. Did you hear we are expecting?”


“No, I hadn’t heard.  Congratulations.” Brian responded.


“Oh, that is all we need,”  Mel said. “Nothing against you and your wife, Hunter, but I’m not ready to be a grandmother and JR is definitely not ready to be a mom.  We need to schedule an abortion as soon as possible. There are states that will still give her one. Within a couple hours we can be there.”


“I don’t know, Mel,” Michael responded, “JR said she didn’t want to do that.  I know we are the parents and she is under age but…”


“Absolutely not!” Gus jumped in. “Jennie wants to have the baby and give it up for adoption.” Gus stood up for JR.


“Gus, stay out of this.  You are not her parent. You don’t know her. When is the last time you lived with her? When she was ten?”


“Mama, I can’t let you do this.  I promised my sister I would let you do something she didn’t want.” Gus looked at LIndsay.  “Mom, you can’t go along with this?”


“Gus, having a baby is so hard on the body.  JR is so young. Carrying a baby while getting off drugs is just too hard, not to mention, who would adopt a baby knowing that the mother took drugs during the pregnancy.”


Gus looked for Brian who stepped closer and shook his head discreetly. “What do you two know?” Lindsay questioned Brian and Gus.


Brian took over, “We just know that there are lots of couples who want babies.  My nephew, Peter and his wife, are waiting for children. They almost got siblings but at the last minute they went to relatives instead. I just know they were willing to take children that had been abused.  They can’t be the only couple looking for children.”


“Brian, no one asked you.” Mel said. “You have nothing to say about this.”


Lindsay stepped up and put her hand on Mel’s shoulder.  “Sweety, this is probably not the time and place to do this.  Brian was not telling us what to do. He was just pointing out that couples are looking for babies.” Mel stared at her.  “Mel, I am not taking Brian’s side. I just think that we need to talk about this in private with Michael and Ben.”


“I think if JR wants to have the baby she should have the baby.  Mel, I know having a baby is hard but it would be harder on her to have an abortion if she doesn't want one.” Michael looked at Mel and Lindsay, “If she is old enough to get pregnant I say she is old enough to choose whether or not to have it.”


The doorbell rang with the arrival of Emmett and Drew, Ted and Blake.  And with that everyone tried to lighten the mood. Emmett stepped right in and helped serve while Drew offered to play bartender. The food was good as always and at the end of the meal there was tiramisu and lemon bars. Everyone was telling stories and laughing.  It was just what everyone needed.


Gus couldn’t forget the earlier conversation. It was Mel who was the biggest problem.  He needed to talk to her, alone. He found his chance when she stepped out for a cigarette.  Gus grabbed a jacket and stepped out to the patio where she stood. He draped the jacket on her shoulders. She looked up at her son and smiled as he left his arm around her. “Mama, you have to let JR do this.”


“I can’t do that, Gus. She’s my baby.”


“Well, your baby is having a baby. She didn’t choose this but she wasn’t forced to have sex.  She told me that herself. Mama, focus on getting the bastard who was an adult when he had sex with my little sister.  You can do that. JR needs to do this, not on her own, but with her family there to support her.”


Melanie turned and hugged her son. “You have really grown into a wise young man. I don’t like the thought of JR having to go through the pregnancy but I will get the fucker that took advantage of her.  I will nail him.”


“Thanks, Mama.”


“Gus, how are you? I heard you had a bad breakup.”


“How long are you and Mom around for? Are you free tomorrow?”


They made plans to spend Saturday together and Gus guided Mel back in the house.


Brian was fairly sure he knew what had happened out there and Gus looked more stressed then he had before.  He was worried for his son. He was so young but had taken on so much. He knew they had raised him to be that way, to care and love his friends and family.  Well, he would be there for him. The drinks turned to coffee and soda shortly after they ate and by the time everyone headed out at least one person in each car had not had anything to drink in a few hours. As everyone left Michael hung back for a lengthy hug from Brian.  “It was great having a night like this. It was far too long.”


“We will talk again soon.”


When Brian turned around the house was quiet except for Gus putting away a few things in the kitchen.  Brian walked over to him and put an arm around Gus’ shoulders. “You don’t have to do that. There isn’t much left since everyone helped. How does time in the hot tub sound?”


“That sounds great.  I love sitting in there this time of year when the steam comes off of it. I’ll grab some towels for us and get my suit.”


“Trunks are fine but I don’t plan to get any. Hope that doesn’t bother you.”

“Why would it?  I have seen a guy’s junk before including yours now and then.”


They met outside a few minutes later.  Brian brought a couple glasses of Jim Beam with him.  Brian watched Gus sip the amber liquid and saw him go further and further away in his head. “Where’d you go, Gus?” Brian asked him softly.


“I...the last time I was in one of these was with  Jamie. “I miss him so much. It still hurts so bad.” The tears began to flow. “I just don’t understand why people can’t just let people love who they love. I keep trying to get in touch with him and there is no way to get to him. I finally contacted some of the other band members.  All but one would just say he was fine. The last one told me Jamie was really broken up but because of his dad he was now dating a woman his dad had hooked him up with. They will announce their engagement at Christmas.”


“Oh, Gus, I am sorry.” He put his arms around him.


“Can you relate at all, Pops?”


“Early in our relationship when I wasn’t giving your dad what he needed he moved in with a violinist. I didn’t know why I hurt but it was my heart dying without his love.  But, Gus, you aren’t me. You are your dad. When he wasn’t able to get what he needed from the person he loved, he was willing to move on, he had to move on to get what he needed. You need to move on, Gus.”


“How did you end up back together?”


“Your dad went off with the first pretty face who said the right words.  He fell for the wrong person because he fell for Ethan because he was angry with me.  I guess I understand why Sunshine is worried about you.He is afraid you will fall for Shelby and get hurt like he did with the fiddle player.”  Brian stroked Gus’ hair as they sat in the steaming bath.


“I guess that makes sense.The difference is, Shelby and I aren’t looking for love right now.”


“Oh, young man, Love doesn’t always come when you are ready for it.”


“That makes sense, Pops. Thank you for being willing to listen.”


“We are both always here.” Brian moved a few inches away from him. “What are your plans tomorrow?”


“I will spend it with my moms.  I will let you know if I will be free for the club later.  My guess is I would be. It might be fun. I could use some time that doesn’t require thinking.”


“I think I better head up to my room unless you want to listen to phone sex with your dad.”


“Go, please, go Pops. I will make sure the house is all shut up.”  Brian wrapped a large towel around him and headed into the house.


Brian was in bed and looking at images of Justin’s paintings when the call came in.  “Oh, Sunshine, in the old days when we were apart I would just find someone to have sex with. God, it is so hard being apart when you are the only one I want.”


“Well,  I am so glad I am the only one you want.  I can’t stop thinking about you with your whole dick buried deep, filling me up.  What did you do after we talked?”


“We got stuff for dinner.I think I messed up with Gus.  I asked him if he wanted to go get some mixers for us, not even thinking he may have issues driving alone.  Don’t worry, I got smart and went with him. He did fine driving. He is taking on far too much. Sometimes I wish I could make him 15 again. Jamie is basically engaged to some chick his dad picked and it is tearing Gus apart. You were right.”


“Oh, I was?  Right about what? I love those words.”


“Gus isn’t ready for a relationship.  He is still in so much pain. Tomorrow we are going to go to Babylon.”

“You are going to Babylon without me?”


“I am just going to be Gus’ wingman. I will watch him close but he needs to be able loosen up for a change.”


“Just watch him.  Although I would love to punish you right now.”


“Oh, punish me, Sunshine.  How would you punish me?”


“I would play with your prostate and your balls and drive you crazy but not let you cum. Do it, Baby.  Put in a vibrator and play with your balls. Then I would be able to taste you; your mouth, your nipples.” Brian grabbed the prostate massager, lubed it and inserted it. Brian closed his eyes and felt it.  He closed his eyes and pictured Justin doing this to him. He moaned loudly into the phone.


“Can you feel me, Baby? Am I stroking you just right?”


Brian could do nothing but sigh as he imagined. Justin’s touch.


“I need to cum, Sunshine.”


“Make it count, Baby, come all the way in your core.”


Brian shouted as Justin could picture him climaxing.


“Oh I love you.  Tell me you will make it home Wednesday.”


“I will do my best. I need to feel your skin and stroke your ass. Not to mention wanting to let my tongue play around and around that perfect bud of yours.”


“You need to get your ass home because I love you too much to be separated.”


“Oh, Sunshine, I will get home somehow by Wednesday  Give Brinn a hug for me. I love you, both.”



The remainder of the weekend went as planned Saturday evening Gus and Brian spent a few hours at Babylon.  Gus forgot how important his dad was in some circles. They had VIP treatment and Gus drank a little and danced a lot.  He forgot all his troubles. And on Sunday the whole family arrived late morning and spent a good part of the day. Brian held Jonna and played with Matti for a long time after they had eaten while the young adults played games. Claire insisted on cleaning up and then took the kids back to the Inn.  Brian joined the game. He loved watching his nephews love their spouses. John and Tony could barely keep their hands off each other and the way Peter looked at Becca made his heart melt. He so hoped that they would find a child soon. He would do anything he could to see that happen.


Gus saw his dad’s facial expression as he looked at Peter and Becca.  He was going to talk to JR about it tomorrow.


Brian spent most of the day on Monday and Tuesday at the office and Gus cautiously drove into the clinic so he could spend a good part of the day with Jennie. He didn’t bring up Becca and Peter on Monday but after lunch on Tuesday Gus had to bring it up.  “JR, have you had more thoughts about the adoption?”


“I want this baby to go to a good family.”


“Remember Becca, you met her the other day?”


“Ya, she was really nice.  She has stopped by a couple times since then.”


“Becca and my cousin can’t have kids of their own but would make amazing parents.  Please mention it to her next time she stops. I don’t think she is allowed to bring it up to you as an employee of the place. I could watch your baby grow.  I could send pictures to you. I am sorry I have to put this on you Jennie. You are too young to have to deal with this all. I am glad your dads and moms are supporting you now.”


“Gus, thank you for everything. I am going to miss you when you leave tomorrow.”


“We can talk everyday. I will fly back  let’s say once a month for a weekend.”


“You would do that for me? I love you, Gus.”


“I love you, too, JR.  I will call soon.”


“I think I am getting the bug the girl down the hall had.  Or I have late morning sickness. I’ll be fine. Call me when you get to California tomorrow.”


Gus hugged his sister and then made her lay down and tucked her in.” Gus kissed her forehead and left.


Brian had worked two very long days so they could go home on Wednesday just so he could see Justin before he left.  He hated this travel stuff when they weren’t together.


Brian’s phone rang around 4:00 am. “Brian, sorry to bother you but I just got a call that JR is having trouble.They are sending her by ambulance to the hospital. She is asking for Gus.”


“Give us 10 minutes and we will be on our way. Text me if you get any more details.”


Brian and Gus were in the car before Brian told him what was going on. “Oh, no, Pops, she told me she wasn’t feeling well when I left.  I should have told someone or stayed a little longer.”

“Gus, we don’t know what it is yet and she assured you she was fine.”


“I did something today I probably shouldn’t have but I told her all about Peter and Becca.  I thought it might make her feel better knowing there was at least one family that would want a baby like hers.”


“Gus, everything you have done you did because you love your sister and want the best for her.


When they arrived at the hospital, Brian was sent to the waiting room and Gus was taken to JR.  


Gus rushed to her bed when he arrived in the room.  “Jennie, I’m here,” he said as he took her hand and touched her cheek.”  He saw an IV going into her arm.


Her eyes fluttered open.  “Oh, Gus.” A tear rolled down her cheek. “I don’t want to lose this baby.  I want something good to come out of all this mess.” Pain shot across her face and her knees came up to her tummy.  


“Let me get a nurse or doctor.”


“No, wait, Gus.  I need to say this before the parents arrive.  Don’t let them stop fighting for the baby. Don’t let them decide to let me miscarriage.  Please, Gus, fight for me.”


“I will do anything for you, Jennie.”


“They can’t give me anything  that will harm the baby and there are things they won’t give me because of rehab.  If you are with me I can take it.”


Just then the door opened and their moms came in. Gus took a step back but would not leave this room until he knew everything was alright.  



In the waiting room, Brian called Justin.  He answered,“Oh, Baby, I miss you, too, but really?  It’s 3:00 am,” in a soft sexy voice.


“Sunshine, we aren’t going to make it home today.”


Justin was wide awake now. “What’s wrong? Is Gus alright?”


“It’s JR.  She is in the hospital.  There is no way Gus will leave until he knows she is good and I won’t leave him here alone.”


“Of course you won’t. Please let me know how things are going throughout the day. Tell Gus I love him.”


Softly Brian said, “I love you, Sunshine.  I was so looking forward to touching you tonight.”


“Oh, Baby, me too. Talk to you later.  I love you.”


All the sudden the waiting room was full.  Ben, Michael, Lindsay, Mel, and Gus walked in.  Gus stepped over to Brian.


“What’s going on?” Brian looked at Gus.


“Too many people stressed her out,” Gus’ voice was tense.  “No one is allowed back in until they are invited.” Brian had never seen Gus so angry at the adults around him.  “Ben is the only adult among them.” Gus said to Brian. “Like she needs her parents talking about her like she wasn’t there, making life decisions for her.”  


Everyone was quiet for a couple moments before a nurse came in.  “Gus Kinney?”


“That’s me.”

 

“Come with me.  Your sister needs you.”