- Text Size +

 

 

Chapter 10

 

BRIAN:

 

Distantly, I hear screaming, but everything is weirdly muffled, like I'm in some sort of fog. Maybe I should try to clear my ears? I swallow hard in an effort to make my ears pop, but it isn't until I realize Mel is trying to pull Gus out of my arms and screaming "GO!" that I come out of my stupor and remember what happened. I can hear Horvath yelling, "Officer down! Officer down!" while Lindsay screeches, "You shot me, you fucking pig!"

 

Glancing around as I finally allow Melanie to take Gus, I see Officer Stewart lying on the floor, blood oozing from his stomach. Lindsay's bent over, cradling a bloody, mangled-looking hand in her lap. Daphne is out cold, and there's no sign of Justin. I turn to Mel, my voice shaking as I ask, "Is Daphne okay? Justin?"

 

"Daphne's just knocked out, and Justin has already taken off after Michael. Go, Brian!"

 

There's no need to tell me again. I barrel through the door, intent on getting back my daughter and Justin.

 

I pause on the stoop, looking around wildly as I try to determine which way to go. When I hear shouting, I sprint down the street to my right. Mere seconds later, I see them. Two officers and Justin surround Michael and McKenna in the middle of the street. I run toward them, hoping against hope that I can get Michael to see reason.

 

As I approach, I hear Justin pleading with Michael to give him the baby. "Michael, please, she's just a little girl. I know you don't want to hurt her."

 

"Why'd you come back, Boy Wonder?" Michael spits at Justin as he clutches McKenna even tighter, making her wail in distress. "You shouldn't be trying to pass this brat off as Brian's. You won't get away with it - we all know you're a slut. All it will take is a DNA test, and Brian will kick both of you to the curb."

 

"Mikey," I say gently when I get close enough. I continue talking in a soothing voice, as if I'm speaking to a small child. I stroke his ego, letting him think I've already taken his ‘advice.' "She's mine. I did have a paternity test done, just to make sure." It's not a lie if they make you do it, I think to myself, a false smile on my face as I look at my childhood friend. All that matters is that Michael calms down.

 

From the corner of my eye, I see Justin direct a quick glance at me. Hopefully, he knows why I'm spouting this garbage.

 

"Can you give me the baby, please? You don't want to hurt my child, do you, Mikey? My own flesh and blood? Come on, Mikey, give her to me," I urge softly. I can hear the pleading note in my voice, and Michael does too.

 

He wavers for a moment, but then his eyes narrow and he takes a half step back, yelling, "No! Move back. All of you. Now! I'm not telling you again! If the fuzz doesn't fucking back off right now, I'm gonna kill her." His brown eyes take on a crazed gleam. "I swear, I'll bash her brains out on the cement if you don't move right now!"

 

With my heart in my throat, I look at the officers, who nod at me before moving away.

 

They no more than reach the sidewalk, when Michael turns and takes off running. I look at Justin and see the fear in his eyes. Michael has officially lost it, and there's no telling what he will do to the baby.

 

Before I can think what to do, Justin starts hollering, "That's fine, Michael. Take her! I still have Brian. We can always make another baby. Face it, Michael. I'm cuter, hotter, and younger than you'll ever be, and I'll have Brian in my bed for the rest of our lives, while you're saddled with my baby. Just go! Take her! We really don't care."

 

Has Justin gone crazy? There's no way Michael will fall for that.

 

But then, to my surprise, Michael slows down, looking over his shoulder at us. A moment later, he turns and sneers at Justin, yelling, "Fat lot you know! I don't plan on keeping her. See?" And to my horror, he flings the baby into the air. Up, up she goes.

 

Justin takes off. I see him running, jumping, reaching, falling.

 

~ ¤ ~

 

The next thing I'm aware of is a very bright light. I slit my eyes open against the glare from the sun. Someone slaps my face, insisting, "Come on, Brian. Wake up."

 

"Sunshine?" My voice sounds strained, weak as I squint up at Justin. His features are out of focus, his blond hair surrounding his head like a halo. What the heck happened to me?

 

"Yeah, Brian, it's me. Welcome back to the land of the living. You had me worried for a minute."

 

I shiver, suddenly aware that I'm really cold. "McKenna? Is she okay? What happened?"

 

The little twat has the audacity to chuckle. "You fainted."

 

Christ, I'll never hear the end of this. Here I am, lying on the icy, snow-covered street with no coat on. I don't care about any of that, though, as long as McKenna is okay. She must be, or Justin wouldn't be wasting time teasing me.

 

"McKenna?" I prompt him, anxious to hear that our daughter really is okay.

 

"She's fine," Justin reassures me. "I went down pretty hard, but I held on tight. She landed on top of me."

 

"I can't believe you did that. Just because you wear those damn Air Jordans doesn't mean you can fly through the air."

 

"Huh? Brian, you're acting delusional. I caught her, Brian. McKenna's safe. I'm safe. I'm not sure about you, though."

 

"Where is she?" I want to know.

 

"One of the officers took her back to Deb's," Justin fills me in. "You were only out for a few minutes, but I didn't want to keep her out here any longer."

 

"Cold," I mumble, my teeth starting to chatter.

 

"C'mon, let's get you up," Justin urges me, attempting to stand.

 

"No, stay," I tell him, pulling him down on top of me. "Oof!" I exclaim as he lands on me.

 

"You're the one who pulled me down here. Why would you do that?" Justin jokes, a twinkle in his eye.

 

"I figured I'd get warmer faster this way. And see, I already feel warmer," I deadpan before asking, "What all went down anyway?"

 

"The cops fired a shot. Got Michael in the leg and halted his escape. He's already been carted off."

 

"Good riddance," I mutter darkly.

 

"Seriously, you need to get up, so we can get out of the middle of the street." This time Justin succeeds in standing up, and I accept the hand he holds out to me, lumbering ungracefully to my feet. "I don't want either of us to get pneumonia. Let's go get our little girl..."

 

"Yeah," I agree, wrapping an arm around Justin. "Let's get our daughter and go home."

 

TBC  

 

Chapter End Notes:

My dear readers: I'm afraid I probably won't be able to update Bundle of Joy or my other WiPs for some time. I currently have almost no use of my 'good' hand - will more than likely require surgery - and voice recognition tools only go so far. I do appreciate every single review and promise that I will get back to you once I'm doing better; I just don't know when that will be. I do hope I've left you in a good place with Bundle, even if the retribution for Michael and Lindsay is yet to come. Something to look forward to, right?

To be continued.
BritinManor is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 25 members. Members who liked A Bundle of Joy also liked 543 other stories.