- Text Size +

 

 

Chapter 4

 

"Justin, how could you let this happen?"

 

"Mom, I didn't let anything happen! Accidents happen! Brian and I have always used condoms! But all this is beside the point, Mom. I came to you for help. Are you willing to help me, or am I just leaving on my own?"

 

"Why are you so adamant about leaving town?"

 

"Mom, what will Dad say when he finds out? How will he react? Christ, Mom, he hit me just for me saying I'm gay! What's going to happen when he hears this piece of news?"

 

I see Mom virtually flinch when I say hit, but I don't care. It's her fault Dad found out and went ballistic in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, Mom owes me this.

 

"Justin," Mom sighs. "Are you sure this is what you want? What about school? Your friends? Daphne?"

 

"I can go to school when I get out there. Daphne will understand. I just can't face anybody! I've known these kids all my life. Can't you see that my life will be hell at school?"

 

My mother holds her hands up in surrender. "Alright, alright. I can't promise anything, but I'll give June a call."

 

"Just don't tell anyone about this. I don't want you telling anyone where I am! I don't want you telling anyone I'm going to have a baby. Promise me this, Mom! You told me you love me. Here's your chance to prove it to me." She looks at me helplessly - or is that frustration? - before she finally nods her agreement.

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Los Angeles International Airport. Local time is 4:03 p.m. and the temperature is 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

 

Please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened until the Captain turns off the ‘Fasten Seat Belt' sign for your safety. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about the plane. At this time, you may use your cellular phones if you wish.

 

Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight.

 

If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have disembarked. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you.

 

On behalf of American Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip. We look forward to having you travel with us again. Have a nice stay!"

 

As I jerk awake, I realize that I must have slept during most of the flight. It has been a stress-filled three days. After convincing Mom it would be better for me to stay with Aunt June until the baby comes, she arranged it. Aunt June sounded excited that I would be coming and said she'd have everything ready for my arrival. I swallow hard and start preparing to depart from the plane. The last thing I ever thought I would be doing is attending my senior year of high school in California while being pregnant. I just hope Daphne understands when she finds out I left.

 

MICHAEL:

 

"I'm telling you, officer. I was worried about the kid. He was like a little brother to me. When my friend kicked him out of his loft, the kid had no place to go. His father had already kicked him out of his home. I was just watching out for him, making sure he was okay. I meant absolutely no harm." I can feel the sweat prickling my forehead, and I hope the man doesn't interpret it as a sign of deception.

 

"Michael?" I turn in relief as I see Lindsay rushing over to me.

 

"Lindsay, it's about time you got here! I was just trying to explain to Detective Stewart how much Justin means to us, and how I was making sure he was okay." As luck would have it, Lindsay told me she was friends with Stewart growing up as they were neighbors. I had found out what his rotation was, so I could make sure to be at the police station at the proper time.

 

"Hey, Harry. Michael's absolutely right. Justin means so much to all of us. Did you know that I helped him get his drawings into the GLC art show? The kid is really talented. We would just hate to see anything untoward happen to him. Can't you let Michael go just this once? As a favor to me?" Just like an Oscar award-winning actress, she smiles and bats her eyelashes coyly, brushing her long, blonde hair back from her face.

 

"I'm not sure I can do that, Lindsay. Horvath will have my ass."

 

I notice Lindsay lightly touching her friend's arm, as I do my best to disguise the smug expression that threatens to break out all over my face. "Harry, why don't we go for coffee, and maybe we can make some kind of arrangement?"

 

"Ah, shoot, Lindsay... okay, alright. I will let him go on one condition. He has to stop following those kids around and promise to stay away from them. That's what Social Services is for."

 

"No problem, right, Michael?"

 

I smile, relieved that our ruse has worked. "Yeah, no problem."

 

As I leave the police station, I can't help snickering to myself. I told Lindsay this plan of hers better not backfire, because I would take her down with me. As it is, she needs to get me $1,500, since Barbarosa put me on a two-week suspension without pay. He also threatened to drop me back down to cashier if I receive one more infraction against me. Lindsay better hope that doesn't happen, or she will be supplementing my income. She's not aware of my visit with Boy Wonder at the school the other morning, but the couple of times I have caught sight of his little fag hag, I haven't seen him. I can only hope he heeded my warning and is gone.

 

JUSTIN:

 

I see Aunt June almost the minute I arrive inside the terminal. I still can't get over how much she and Mom look alike. If it wasn't for the year difference, a person could mistake them for twins.

 

"Justin? Over here!"

 

I break out in a huge smile as I see Aunt June waving frantically at me. "Hey, Aunt June. It's so good to see you. Thank you so much for this," I tell her as she grabs me in a bear hug.

 

"Hey, you know I would do anything for my favorite godson."

 

I smile; it's a common joke between us whenever we talk. "I believe I'm your only godson."

 

"That's beside the point. So, are you going to tell me what in the world is going on? Your mom was kind of vague on the phone, and only told me that circumstances didn't allow you to stay in Pittsburgh for your senior year."

 

I sigh; I'm not surprised my Mom didn't reveal too many details. "Uh, she didn't tell you the reason for my needing to come out here?"

 

She shakes her head as she peers at me quizzically. "Not specifically." She pauses before changing the subject. "Here, let's get your luggage and we can talk in the car. Are you hungry? We can stop somewhere, or I can make something when we get home."

 

"Can we stop and get a pizza at DeSano's?"

 

She laughs, causing me to look over at her and grin. "Why am I not surprised? I think the last time you, your mother, and Molly were here, you harangued your mother and me almost daily for one of those."

 

"Hey, what can I say? They are like the BEST pizza made! For one thing, they're baked in a brick oven to make the crust crispy, and they don't skimp on the ooey-gooey, bubbly cheese that's just a little bit charred."

 

"Are you writing commercials now, or doing PSA announcements?" she teases me.

 

"Uh, no. I just really like the way they make it," I say with a touch of wistfulness, instantly thinking of Brian at the mention of ‘PSA.'

 

"So, how's Molly?" my aunt asks as we head toward the correct carousel to retrieve my luggage.

 

"She's fine. She just had her tenth birthday a few months ago. Mom threw her a big party. I didn't stay long. I drew a picture of her for her present." I scrunch up my nose. "She seemed less than thrilled with it, but maybe someday she will appreciate it. After what Mom said, though, I just didn't feel like sticking around for long."

 

"Can I ask what happened?"

 

I close my eyes and let the memory wash over me, before saying, "I walked in and Molly came up to me and asked what I got her, and I told her, ‘permission to live' before handing her the sketch I had drawn of her ... (I chuckle despite myself) ... then she gave me kind of a half-hearted smile and walked back to her friends. Then Mom cornered me, peppering me with questions."

 

"Are you eating enough? You're staying for dinner," Mom asked.

 

"That depends on whether Dad wants to see me."

 

"Of course he wants to see you; he's as upset about this as much as you are, and wants you to come home."

 

"What about the rules? Not going out, not seeing Brian, not talking about my ‘disgusting lifestyle'?"

 

Mom got kind of defensive, before saying, "I don't think he meant it that way."

 

"Well, what did he mean?"

 

"Honey, Dad just wants everything to be 'as it was'."

 

My heart breaking a little, I tell her, "But it can't be. I'm not that person anymore."

 

"I don't want you to pretend to be someone you're not, but I have to consider the needs of the whole family, not just your desires."

 

Molly chose that moment to call for Mom, and Mom gave me one last woeful look before leaving me standing alone in the backyard.

 

"And, that's when I decided to leave."

 

"Where did you go?"

 

"Back to Brian's."

 

"Brian's? I don't recall you ever mentioning him. Is that a new friend?"

 

I stop to look over at her as passengers file by us. "Uh... Aunt June? What exactly has my mother told you about my life these past four months?"

 

She shrugs. "Not a lot," she concedes. "I haven't really talked to her much lately. With my promotion at work, I do have to travel on occasion. By the way, will it be a problem if I need to be gone a few days at a time? I didn't want to say anything to Jennifer about that. I figured I would just talk to you."

 

I shake my head in reassurance. "No, of course not." I cock my head toward the suitcases rotating around the carousel. "There's my luggage; why don't we talk in the car?"

 

"Sure, honey," she agrees as I snatch my duffel bag and carry-on piece and place it on the ground beside us.

 

Fifteen minutes later we leave the airport behind. I call in the pizza order on the way, hoping it will be ready when we arrive, but no such luck. I opt to stay in the car while Aunt June goes inside to wait since we still have twenty minutes left. I fiddle with my phone for a bit, thinking I should really call Daph. Then the time difference hits me, and for the first time, I realize just how difficult it will be to keep in contact with my best friend outside of the weekends. Could I go for five days without speaking to her? No, I don't believe I can. I'm just going to have to make sure I'm around in the early evening so I can call Daphne right before she's ready for bed. Yeah, that should work. Then her parents won't be hollering at her to get off the phone and do her homework. I just hope Aunt June has a good calling plan. With that thought in mind, I jump slightly when the driver's door opens. With a sigh of relief, I'm glad to see my aunt handing me the extra-large box of pizza. My mouth waters at the sight.

 

"Wow, that smells amazing! Do I have to wait until we get back to your place to have a slice?" I ask her.

 

I smile broadly when she replies, "No, you don't. There are extra napkins in the glove box; just try not to get any sauce on the seat or floorboard."

 

"You sound like Brian." The words are out of my mouth before I can think about it.

 

"Brian again?" she asks as she starts up the car.

 

"Uh, can it wait until we get to your place, please?" I mumble between bites from the slice I'm holding above the box, pausing to lick some sauce from the corner of my mouth.

 

"Alright, deal. But I want you to promise me something."

 

"Uhh... what?" I hedge.

 

"Stop calling it my place. It's your home now, too. So, please just say home."

 

"Contrary to calling my old home Dad's place," I mumble.

 

My aunt peers over at me as she pulls out into the street. "You need to speak up. I didn't quite catch that."

 

I smile brightly at her before saying, "It doesn't bear repeating." I lick some of the savory pizza sauce off my fingers before waving my hand in the air and commanding, "Now, once around the park, and then home, James."

 

"Smartass."

 

I can't help laughing. It feels good to laugh for a change.

 

Movie quotes, Justin?

 

"Language, Aunt June?" I fire back with a grin.

 

"Come now, Justin. Really? Me? I thought you knew better. Have you really forgotten why your father always hated it when you and Molly were around me when you were younger?"

 

"No... not that I care what that homophobe thinks, anyway."

 

"Justin..."

 

"No. When we get home."

 

"Well, it will be about five more minutes."

 

"By the way, how much of this pizza do you want?" I ask as I reach for another slice.

 

"How much is left?" she inquires; I can see her brows kind of scrunching together.

 

"I could spare a couple of slices," I tease.

 

"Good thing I don't want any more than that, then, huh?" She shakes her head at me in amazement. "I'll never figure out where you put all that food and stay so slim. I could call you a foul name for that... but I won't," she adds as I chuckle. "You must keep very busy, young man."

 

I blush. If only she knew how I normally kept ‘busy.' "Well, you've always stayed fit yourself," I reply sincerely.

 

"Flatterer," she banters back as we both laugh. She slows down the car and turns into the driveway. "Well, we're here. I'll take the pizza and your backpack. Can you handle the two suitcases?" She laughs as I gaze anxiously at the now almost empty carry-out box. "Don't worry; your food's safe with me. I'm a lady of my word."

 

"Well... okay," I reply with a chuckle, smiling as I follow her up the sidewalk.

 

She shakes her head in good humor as she exclaims, "Teenagers! You, my dear, I'm going to have to get used to again."

 

"But you love me," I reply.

 

She stops at the front door and inserts her key in the lock before she turns and gives me a warm look. Leaning over, she gives me a quick caress with the palm of her right hand before stating, "Yeah, I do. But you STILL have to bring in all the luggage!" she adds with a grin.

 

And with that, my aunt disappears into the house, leaving me with my mouth agape in mock indignation as I struggle with my two bulging suitcases. Aunt June lives in a very upscale neighborhood. If I weren't missing Daphne so much, I could almost look forward to my new life. There isn't anyone else at that damned school that I will miss. But Daph... Daphne and I are like hot chocolate and marshmallows. You have to have both in order to make it work.

 

Apart we are great, but together, I honestly think we could conquer the world. Well, maybe not the world, but we are better than 'great'. That damned Michael! If not for his threat against Daphne, I wouldn't have been forced to take such drastic measures, but I couldn't knowingly put Daphne in harm's way. And Michael is just mean enough and nasty enough to carry through with the threat he made. I'm not sure why the cops didn't investigate or follow up more thoroughly after we sent the pictures to them, but I know I've caught a glimpse of Michael a couple of times. So that turned out to be a waste of time.

 

I take a moment to look up at the house. Aunt June's house is amazing. Four years ago, she bought an old Tudor-style home here in L.A. in a quiet neighborhood. She drew up most of the remodeling plans herself before hiring someone to come in and carry out the designs.

 

 

Before that, she was married for thirteen years to an affluent man from Texas who came into old money through his father's inheritance. Matthew perished during a freak accident that happened when a crane collapsed during a violent windstorm. Apparently, the crane operator hadn't engaged the brake after he was done working for the day. The seventy-five mile per hour gusts proved too much, and the crane toppled over; Matthew, unfortunately, got caught under the falling debris.

 

After things were settled, Aunt June had the opportunity to transfer to LA with her job and took the position without a second thought. I don't think to this day she has any regrets. My mother was not happy, though. She wanted her to move to the Pittsburgh area, but I was aware of the eye roll she gave Mom at that suggestion even at thirteen. Besides, she has never hidden her qualms about Craig. There is no way she would ever willingly live anywhere near him.

 

As I walk into the foyer, I instantly remember the first time I saw the sprawling staircase. If I had been younger, I think the first thing I would have tried to do was slide down the thing. I'm surprised Molly never attempted it. I know Daphne and I would have.

 

 

Ugh, thoughts of Daphne assail me again. I'm definitely calling her tonight. I will not tell her about Michael's threat, though. I don't want her to get paranoid. I will just explain that I can't handle facing all the homophobes in our school while I'm pregnant. I'm sure she will understand. And as long as she can't see my face when I say it, I should be able to convince her.

 

"Aunt June? I'm going to take my suitcases upstairs!" I holler out, leaving one at the landing as I trudge up the steps with the other.


"That's fine, Justin. Just so you know, the pizza is really good!" she yells back at me.

 

"Hey, two slices, remember?" I remind her, but I know she's just teasing me.

 

"Yes, love. By the way, I readied the room at the end of the hall with the slanted ceilings for you."

 

"Thanks!" Yes! I love that room. It's got lots of windows and French doors leading to an attached balcony that overlooks the pool and hot tub.

 

 

After the trek upstairs, practically dragging one suitcase and then the other behind me, I collapse on the bed for a few minutes, in order to catch my breath. Glancing out at the pool for a minute, I then make my way downstairs, very happy to see only two slices of pizza missing.

 

 

"Justin, if you want to change the rug or bedding into your own style, I have no problem with that. You can just check the internet for Perigold's and see what you would like."

 

"No, that's not necessary," I assure her as I sit down at the kitchen table, my mouth watering for more pizza. "Oh, by the way, here's a check from Mom for you," I say as I take it out of my wallet and hand it to her. Her eyes grow large as she reads what it says.

 

"A thousand dollars? Gosh, I don't quite know what to say. But I'm not taking the money, Justin. We can go to the bank tomorrow and open an account for you. You keep the money. That way, you'll be able to buy anything you might need for school."

 

I shake my head. "I don't feel right keeping it, Aunt June. And I know Mom wouldn't be happy."

 

"Well, she just doesn't need to know," she replies determinedly as she signs the back of the check over to me and I reluctantly accept it.

 

I reach for another piece of pizza, unable to prevent an 'mmm' from escaping my lips at the familiar taste of the sauce. "Will I need uniforms?"

 

"No. I was actually able to get you into LACHSA, and..."

 

I hold my pizza slice in mid-air as what she says registers. "Wait! LACHSA?"

 

"Yes. You know... The Los Angeles County School for the Arts. I'm acquainted with two different board members there, so after they saw the portrait you drew of me last year, I..."

 

I drop the slice of pizza down onto the cardboard box in shock. "NO! You didn't!"

 

"Yes, I did, and they felt it was excellent enough that they waived the audition/portfolio review, too. You're in, dear. LACHSA is ranked #1 for public arts high schools. There is only one high school ranked higher in LA, and that's a private school. This is not only tuition-free, but it doesn't require uniforms. You are required to wear neat clothing, no see-through clothing, no writing on any articles... clothes, backpacks, water bottles..."

 

"I get it. Geez... I can't believe I will actually be able to go to an art school! Aunt June, you are amazing!"

 

She holds up her hand to caution me, "Just be forewarned, some of the students are a bit pretentious, and the school is definitely utilitarian, but the faculty is great; some of the best in their fields..."

 

"Okay, already. I get it! I can handle that." Anything would be better than back home, I think before a concern appears in my mind. "Do they offer bus service?"

 

"Yes, but... you remember that black '95 Lexus I have that's just sitting unused?"

 

 

"With the spoiler? No way!!!"

 

"Way... as you say," she replies with a laugh. "Even though it has a nav system, we will spend the weekend driving around so you can get accustomed to the traffic here and learn your way around. Just, please, drive carefully! Your mother would disown me if you got into an accident."

 

I shake my head in amazement. "I was so worried about coming out here, but everything seems like it's working out really well."

 

"I'm glad," she tells me. She pauses for a moment before she asks, "So... are you ready to tell me what's going on, and why you're here?"

 

I scrub my hands over my face and rub my temples before simply saying, "I'm gay, and Dad kicked me out because I wouldn't abide by his rules and give up my 'disgusting' lifestyle." I use air quotes to emphasize the word.

 

"Okay, that doesn't surprise me. Your father has always been an unreasonable idiot." She clasps her hands together and peers over at me as she asks softly, "So...you want to tell me who Brian is?"

 

"He was kind of my boyfriend, but he kicked me out when he thought I had forgotten to lock his loft door and he got robbed. But I swear, Aunt June! I locked it! Daphne was with me and can vouch for it."

 

"So, you basically had nowhere to go." She takes a deep breath and smiles at me, "Well, that won't be a problem now," she assures me as I gratefully return her smile.

 

I nod. "Yes, that's what I'm saying. Aunt June... there's one more thing you need to know." I swallow hard as I meet her gaze.

 

She raises an eyebrow. "There's more?"

 

"Unfortunately, yes, and I really hope you aren't going to hate me after I tell you."

 

"Dear, you're my nephew. I could never hate you. What is it you need me to know?"

 

I drop my eyes and inhale a shaky breath before letting it out and saying, "What're your thoughts on becoming a great aunt?"

 

Chancing a peek at my aunt, I catch the look of surprise that flashes across her face, right before I see the crystal goblet she was holding, slide through her hand and shatter into a hundred pieces onto the hardwood floor.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Everyone! Sorry Michael got off with a warning. (That little excerpt was a last minute throw-in, anyways.) Justin was always meant to be in California. If there are any inconsistencies in Justin's 'memory', my apologies in advance, as it wasn't sleuthed out on the DVD. For all those curious minds out there, we will see what's happening with Brian next chapter.

All info related in this chapter concerning LACHSA is fact, right down to the pretentious students. Google was my very good friend.

The crane incident was a real life tragedy, too. It happened in Dallas this year in June, collapsing and hitting an apartment complex. Events were relayed to me by my son who lives twenty miles outside of Dallas in Plano.

THANKS FOR READING, AND REMEMBER, COMMENTS ARE LOVE.