- Text Size +

Chapter 7

"Daphne... DAPHNE!" I'm yelling and frantically waving my sign with her name on it. Her plane just had to arrive at the busiest time of day at the airport. I swear I've gotten bigger than a baby elephant these past two weeks. Waving the sign saps my energy, so I forget about trying to jump even a little to be seen. But I figure she can't miss the hot pink, fluorescent poster board with ‘Daphne’ scrawled on it in black marker. I even drew a small picture of her - in pigtails - in the top-right corner. I found drawing with a black marker wasn't the easiest thing to do, however.



But apparently, it does the trick as she comes bouncing up to me. "Oh my God, Justin!" she shrieks. "You're huge!"



"Well, duh... I think that was established when I sent you my picture a couple of weeks ago." I roll my eyes at her for good measure.



"No, I mean… You're even bigger now! Gigantic! Did you get one of those weird cravings and decide to eat a watermelon whole, rind and all? She says this with such an innocent look on her face that I almost want to smack her!



"No, smartass. Although, there's this great watermelon at this little market not far from my aunt's house. With it being so hot lately, it really hits the spot."



"Well, put the sign down and hug me! I've missed you so much, Justin." She grabs hold of me before I can brace myself, causing both of us to just barely avoid tumbling to the floor.



She pulls back and clucks at me. "Wow, Justin... you've let yourself go... I can't even get my arms around you." Again, with that straight face. Alright, the kid gloves just came off.



"Do you remember that time in fifth grade when you made me so mad, I actually punched you on the playground? Well, I'm about to perform an encore."



"Oh, you mean the time when I said you punched worse than a girl, and then I gave you a black eye?" She says this with a gleam in her eye and a huge smile on her face.



I shake my head in defeat, unable to keep from grinning back at her. "Okay, okay… enough with the fat jokes!" I plead. "Mom always said I was a big baby. Now I can't help wondering how big Brian was when HE was born. Dr. Riley said it can be hereditary. But just knowing it runs in my own family is enough. I have about two weeks left to go, and she's around ten pounds already."



Daphne's mouth hangs open. "I stand corrected, then... it's not a watermelon in there; it's a baby whale! You know, Shamu is a nice, gender-neutral name."



I smack her playfully as she giggles at me. "Daph... you are treading on dangerous ground here. We aren't in fifth grade anymore."

 

She snorts. "As if... Oh, alright. It's just you have always been so slim; I just find it funny."

 

"Well, as slow as I'm moving these days... we’d better make our way down to baggage claim. How much do you have, anyway? Should we rent a cart?"

 

"I actually have just one suitcase and my carry-on. Everything is boxed up at home, and my parents are shipping it out to me. And I mainly just brought some clothes with me, so my suitcase isn't very big or too heavy."

 

"That's a relief," I tell her, admitting, "I wasn't looking forward to hauling lots of suitcases out of here. But good luck when your boxes arrive. You're on your own hauling them up the stairs."

 

"Ooh, I love that staircase! The one time my parents let me come out here with you, I so wanted to slide down the railing!" She sighs melodramatically. "Alas, at fifteen, I thought it might be frowned upon."

 

"You know, when I walked into my aunt's house the day that I moved out here, that's the first thing I thought about, too. I still can't believe Molly never tried."

 

"You can't be serious! She NEVER had the guts to do the things we did at her age. She was always Little Miss Perfect, with an 'I don't want to get in trouble' attitude. No guts, that girl," she says while shaking her head.

 

"You know, it almost makes me worried thinking about what my little girl might be like. We were little daredevils with an attitude to match." I briefly gnaw on my thumb with my teeth before asking, "I wonder if there is a way to mold them to your liking?" I shake my head and let out a sigh. "You know, Daph, as long as my little one doesn't find an adventurous friend like you were when WE were kids... maybe I have hope that mine won't be as reckless." Ha! Got her there!

 

She tries to punch me in the side in retaliation, but I somehow manage to evade her, so she decides, “I'm gonna let that slide for now. Help me find my suitcase now that we're here. It's a Samsonite. Kind of a light teal. Mom got it for me after they agreed to let me come out here. Even if they hadn’t agreed to let me attend college out here... I would still have been here, Justin. There's no way I wouldn't be here for you now." I hear the sincerity in her words, and I know she means them more than anything. Damn hormones... I will not cry, I will not cry, I will not cry…

 

"There it is! Can you grab it? I'll take your carry-on, so we can get out of here."

 

As she hands me the bag, she looks at my hands and around on the floor... "Jus, where's the sign?"

 

"Huh? Oh, crap! I bet it's still lying on the floor back at the gate where you arrived. Oh, well... I doubt it's still there now."

 

Once home, I collapse on the sofa while Daphne takes her stuff upstairs. It was unusually warm outside today, and it's days like this that I'm grateful for the air conditioning. I think the day her boxes arrive I'm going to park my butt at the bottom of the stairs and laugh at her. Well, maybe not the bottom step. If I managed to sink that low, I'd never be able to get back up.

 

"Hey, wuss," my best friend calls out to me as she sprints down the stairs and sits next to me on the couch. She's really cruising for a bruising today.

 

I peer over at her indignantly. "Hey, when you're almost nine months pregnant and as big as a house, I'll be sure to return all the nice things you've said to me."

 

She barks out a laugh. "Don't hold your breath! I'm not having kids or getting married!"

 

I can't help smirking as I remind her, "Yeah, well, since I'm living proof that accidents happen, never say never."

 

"Well, how about you get that fat... er... gorgeous body of yours up off the couch, and let's get outta here and go get something to eat. I'm starving!"

 

"Okay... I'll ignore that last comment due to your hunger deprivation. But may I remind you that you are worse than me when it comes to atrocious eating habits? You always have been. The only difference is, I never cared who knew. You, on the other hand, always try to eat healthy, small portions around certain people to keep your cover. Well, there's no need anymore. Nobody here knows you. And since I'm your very best friend, I checked out some local places to find the best-tasting..." I can't get the next words out before Daphne completes my sentence for me.

 

"...CHILI CHEESE FRIES?! Oh, my God! I could kiss you!" And she proceeds to do just that before starting her happy dance, reminiscent of Alfonso Ribeiro doing the Carlton. We were only seven or eight when that show came out, but it quickly became Daphne's favorite. And to my horror, shortly after Ribeiro debuted his iconic dance moves, Daphne turned on the charm to her doting father until he brought her home the cassette tape of It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones. Every day after school, I had to endure her antics, and later the 'productions' that she put on for her parents and me. Yeah, good times! But watching her now – her eyes twinkling in merriment as she gyrates to a silent tune - I think she outshines Ribeiro. Or perhaps I'm biased? Nah...

 

"Yes, chili cheese fries," I tell her with a laugh. "Before school let out, I asked around where the best place was to get some and was told to check out Tommy's Original Hamburgers. I was also told they were better in the North Hills restaurant than the one in L.A. So, just for you, I checked them both out, and I agree, North Hills is where you want to go, even though it's eighteen miles further. But I decided you are worth it."

 

That earns me a death glare and a hit to the arm. Feigning injury, I groan as I struggle to rise from the couch.

 

"As if you didn't enjoy every fry you tested on my behalf," she snorts.

 

I grin back at her, telling her, "Come on," I tell her as I grip her arm lightly. "No time like the present," I add as I open the front door and start towards the car; otherwise, Daphne would be content to stand in the foyer and yack for an hour. Even heading toward the car, she’s talking non-stop.

 

"Okay, yeah,” I acknowledge, “I might have enjoyed them immensely... while eating them... not so much afterward. I couldn't devour enough Rolaids. Finally, Dr. Riley told me I could use Zantac. Heartburn is starting to be part of my daily life." I sigh and wrinkle my nose as I think about the acid rising into my throat.

 

"You should have just mixed up and drank that vinegar and soda concoction my grandmother always talked about," Daph tells me, opening the passenger door and sliding inside while I walk around the car.

 

I awkwardly struggle to wedge my body behind the wheel as I reply, "Yeah, I remember the one time she had you drink that shit. Sure, you burped up air, but if the kitchen sink hadn’t been right there, the crap you upchucked would have been all over the floor." I shake my head as I add, "Not to mention the stench that rivaled skunk roadkill."

 

She shrugs at me as I finally manage to latch my seatbelt while she does the same. "True, but it was the best acid reducer I ever tried."

 

"You are so weird. Well, all I can say is that I hope you enjoy these before you need to use them again!" We grin at each other as I slowly back out of the driveway and pull out into the street to head toward our destination.

 

"Well, If they have the Justin Taylor Stamp of Approval, I can't go wrong. So, has your doctor given you the actual delivery date for the baby?"

 

"Yeah, she has. Tacking 40 weeks onto the date of conception, we have June 20th. Daphne squeals so loudly in her excitement that I wince, deciding to hurriedly change the subject while my hearing is still somewhat intact. "So, how was graduation? How'd the speech go?" I glance over as she smiles and promptly starts her recitation.

 

"Thank you, Shannon, for that wonderful introduction. Friends, family, faculty, and the illustrious Class of 2001, it is an honor to speak to all of you today..."

 

I laugh. "Hold it! I don't want to hear your whole speech! I simply asked how it went."

 

She pretends to pout at my interruption before she responds with a smile, "Great, although some of it probably went over the heads of a few of the students when I ended the speech with some very sagacious advice."

 

As I slow down to turn into the restaurant's parking lot, I can't help asking, "Okay, Miss Vocabulary. And that would be?"

 

She grins at me as she states, "To quote Richard Russo, 'Go to it. Be bold. Be true. Be kind. Rotate your tires. Don’t drink so much. There aren’t going to be enough liver transplants to go around’.”

 

I look at her for a few moments before we both burst out laughing. "You are…" I shake my head. "Indescribable," I decide as she giggles. "But I am so glad you're here," I admit, feeling myself getting just a bit teary-eyed.

 

She smiles at me then. "Me too, Jus."

 

I nod in agreement, and we share a short moment before I announce, "Well, we're here, Ms. Chanders." I hold out my hand as if I'm introducing the Queen of England. "I give thee... Tommy's Original Hamburgers."

 

 

“Wow! Oh, my God!” she shrieks, and there goes the rest of my hearing. “I love it!” The entire outside of the restaurant is painted in a black-and-white checked pattern, with an old-fashioned neon sign proclaiming the name of the place. The brick and stainless-steel look like something right out of Happy Days. “It’s a diner, then?” She grins and shakes her head. “I should have guessed.”

 

I grin back at her and nod. "Very astute," I respond dryly as she slaps my arm playfully. "The seating area inside is reminiscent of a 50s diner with red and white tables. Plus, you can order anything on the menu covered in chili."

 

"Eww... even a shake or piece of pie?"

 

I laugh. "I suppose they might draw the line there," I admit as I lead my friend over to a vacant booth and slide into the vinyl seat; Daphne sits down on the opposite side as she reaches to pick up a vinyl-clad menu.

 

My friend rubs her hands together in glee, her eyes sparkling as she places the menu down on the table and announces, "Well, I'm getting a double order with jalapeño peppers... and no, I'm not sharing, so don't ask."

 

"If that's the case, then I'm only getting a 7 Up. You'll see," I tell her smugly.

 

Five minutes later, the gal that took our order brings it out to us. The look on Daph's face is priceless. "Uh, ma'am, could you possibly bring us an extra plate?” Her double order looks more like an entire day's order; it's the largest heart attack on a plate that I've ever seen. And I'm salivating over it.

 

 

“Told ya!” I exclaim in triumph.

 

“Fine! I should have listened.” She picks up a chili-covered fry from the side of the plate. “Mmm... this is heaven!” She barely chews and swallows before continuing without taking another breath. "Anyway, I thought while I was here, I'd like to see the Griffith Observatory, the Santa Monica Pier, Graumann's Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Boulevard, the Hollywood Wax Museum, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Hollywood Sign, and we HAVE to do Disney, and Oh! Rodeo Drive. And..."

 

"Alright, already!" I tell her as I laugh, holding up my hand to stop her; God, it’s wonderful having Daphne with me. I’ve missed her like crazy. "We have all summer. I can do some now, but please, nothing too strenuous or too much walking without a break. Oh, and I have to be able to fit behind the restraining bars, so no roller coasters, I'm afraid." At Daphne's look of dismay, I quickly add, "But just think... at least my condition should get us to the front of the line.” They always ask for those who need assistance, and board them first. “Deal?”

 

Her previous look of disappointment is replaced with a delighted grin at the thought, as we shake hands. “Deal!” she exclaims, her entire face lighting up. After the server brings an additional plate for me, it doesn't take us long to devour every morsel of the mountain we were given. I know I will most likely pay for this with a grand round of indigestion later, but hey, the baby may as well get used to her father's appetite. It isn't like I eat like this all the time now. But damn, it does feel great! My best friend and a mound of greasy, meaty, cheesy fries. It doesn't get any better than this!

 

So, for the next two weeks, we walk and walk and walk; my pleas go unanswered. But Daphne is a trooper; she allows me two to three days between our jaunts to rest a little, during which time we make sure the nursery is perfect and everything is ready for when the baby arrives. It's the night before I'm due for my C-section; it is unseasonably warm, and we played 'tourist' all day. I opt to go to bed early to prepare for the big day.

 

Soon, I'm having a wonderful dream of Brian... very reminiscent of the night we met. He has just told me to put my legs on his shoulders, when – instead of the slow, easy way Brian introduced me to sex – he rams into me so hard that I end up screaming. I sit up in bed, hardly able to get my bearings, when another pain shoots through me, and I realize with alarm that I am in labor. Oh, dear Lord, please, no!

 

My scream brings Daphne and Tia running into my room. Tia takes one look at me gripping the sheets and the pain etched on my face, and picks up my phone dialing 911, demanding an ambulance.


The ride to the hospital is a nightmare. One of the EMTs radios ahead, telling them to get Dr. Riley there STAT.

 

As I'm rushed into the OR, I try to make sure that they allow Daph and Tia into the room. Dr. Riley is already there. Taking one look at me, she gently chides, "Mr. Taylor. I didn't think we'd be meeting for another ten hours or so. It's a good thing I was making my rounds when you came in." She glances over at the monitor now attached to me as she states, "Since it appears that you are well into your labor, we are going to have to administer general anesthesia for the procedure." She peers over at the others in the room with amusement. "I see we have company joining us. Ladies, good to see you're in your sterile garb. We're going to place sterile drapes over Justin's tummy now and get a catheter inserted into his bladder. As you can see, they are already giving him the anesthesia, so please sit up by Justin's head. Now let's get to work bringing this precious little girl into the world."


><><

 

Waking up, I feel groggy and disoriented before I register the feeling of someone lightly gripping my hand. I try to focus, then realize Daphne and Tia are with me, and it's Daph holding my hand. She smiles at me as I suddenly realize what must have happened. "The baby... is she..."

 

Both women smile now as Daphne pronounces, "She's perfect, Justin."

 

"I... want to... see her." I struggle against the effects of the anesthesia, desperately wanting to see my new daughter, but my body is not yet ready to cooperate. My eyelids flutter as I try to stay awake before they finally close and I fall asleep again.

 

><>< 

 

Four days later, we arrive home from the hospital. After a couple more days, Daphne and I sit down and design a baby announcement to be sent to my mother; I realize with some sadness that there really is nobody else to send one to. We have numerous pictures, so it is mainly just a matter of figuring out which ones we want to use. That done, I sit down to write my mother a letter. I honestly think this is the first time I've ever used paper and pen to do this.

 

Dear Mom,

I'm sorry we have not really spoken for the last six months, but I thought you might be interested to know that your beautiful, perfect granddaughter has arrived. She sure is a big baby; 10 lbs., 6 oz. at birth! Thank God there is such a thing as a Cesarean section. No wonder she was ready to come out ahead of time!

In case you are interested, I graduated as the valedictorian from Los Angeles County High School for the Arts. I took five advanced placement courses and graduated with a 5.0 GPA. I will be attending Otis College of Art and Design in the fall. Daphne has been here for the last two weeks and will also be attending college out here.

I hope everything is going well back home and your life is as fulfilling as mine. Please give Molly a hug and kiss from me and tell her I miss her. I want you to know that even with everything that has happened, I'm very satisfied with the way my life has turned out. My daughter has brought me more joy than I ever thought was possible, and Daphne and Tia are both such wonderful support systems.

I've enclosed the baby announcement Daphne and I designed. I hope you like the name. It should be a given as to how I chose McKenna. It's an Irish name that means 'Celtic God of Fire,' which, to me, suits Brian. I chose Abigail for her middle name, simply because it means 'My Father's Joy.' I can't think of a more appropriate name for her.

I'm also putting Aunt June's name on the envelope, so Dad won’t accidentally open it.

Miss and love you,

Justin

 

 

 

><>< 

 

For the first two weeks, we have pretty much stayed in, letting ourselves and McKenna get accustomed to life together and falling into a routine. Last night, we decided we would venture out today. Daphne said she still hadn't seen the Hollywood Sign, so that's what we decide to do. We'll view it from the top of the Home Depot parking garage on Sunset Boulevard. It’s supposed to be the best viewing spot, and it will only take us about fifteen minutes to hike there. It's hard to believe the white letters are 45 feet (13.7 meters) tall and 350 feet (106.7 meters) long. Besides, unlike Daphne, it's always given me the willies to read that a twenty-four-year-old actress climbed to the top of the H using a workman's ladder and then proceeded to jump to her death. Sure, that happened in 1932... and she had left a suicide note in her purse in the scrub, stating that she was a failure in the movies... but it still bothers me to think of viewing something as a tourist attraction, knowing someone took their life there.

 

stories/774/images/britinmanor_hollywood_sign1.jpg

 

So, after spending a little time at it - and with Daphne's help - I manage to figure out how to wrap the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier around McKenna and me. I’m really grateful that Daphne suggested the wrap for when I’m out and about with the baby, and brought it with her from Pittsburgh. “Safest and best on the market, Justin," she had advised me, and I have to admit it’s very comfortable, with McKenna immediately snuggling into it against my chest.

 

 

Upon leaving the house, I notice the darkening sky and think, Great, it looks like rain, and wonder if we should stay home. But we've been home for the last two weeks, and the idea of getting out is appealing, so after carefully placing my daughter in her new car seat, we head out.

 

About ten minutes later, the wind picked up and there's a torrent of rain and hail falling. I consider pulling over, but realize we only have about three to five more minutes to go, and nobody else is stopping, so I follow along at a slow pace. Besides, I have this feeling we may need to get somewhere safe; my main priority is my daughter's well-being.

 

When we finally pull into the Home Depot parking lot, I notice how the wind has suddenly died down and the air has become very still. Eerily so. Daphne notices too, giving me a worried look.


"Let's go inside and see what we can find out about the weather, Justin. This just feels… creepy." For all the strength I can usually expect from Daphne, the worry and fear she is feeling are clearly written all over her face, and my own anxiety escalates. So, we hastily get McKenna out of her car seat and situated back in the K'tan before making our way inside.

 

When we enter the store, it's very quiet. A monitor – normally used for video of customers coming and going – displays, instead, a weather forecaster next to a menacing-looking radar map. A large group of people is grouped around it. As we move closer, I hear sirens start blaring as Daphne and I stop and stare at the screen in disbelief. There on the screen is a nightmare in the making. The Emergency Alert System starts broadcasting: This just in from KCRA. A tornado warning has been issued for Los Angeles County. A tornado has been sighted in the Sunset Boulevard area. Please get to safety immediately! I repeat, a tornado has been sighted. Please get to safety.

 

 

Suddenly a voice comes over the loudspeaker. "Attention! My name is Henry Sutton. I'm the manager here at Home Depot. A tornado has been spotted on the radar a few miles away. This is not designated as a sheltered area, so I want everyone to find a place along a wall where there are no windows. Please stay away from any shelving and supplies. There are blankets in the storeroom; employees will be distributing them shortly. Please! This is urgent! Find a location quickly!"

 

"Oh, shit! Why did we ever leave home today, Daph? I thought the clouds looked bad." I look down at my sleeping daughter, totally unaware of the drama taking place, and a strong need to protect her overwhelms me. I berate myself for leaving the house in the first place. But it is too late to reverse my decision now. "What have I done?"

 

Daphne grips my arm as she replies, "Justin, it will be okay. Come on! We’ve gotta find someplace safe." She then grabs my hand and starts leading us towards the back.

 

We get situated and are given a blanket bundled in plastic that Daphne rips open and spreads on the floor. Suddenly, the need to hear Brian's voice and feel his strong arms holding me is so intense that I pull my hand from Daphne's and fumble with my cell phone to punch in the familiar landline number for his loft.

 

I press my ear closer to the phone with a frown; can this be right? Because all I’m getting are three sequential musical tones, indicating a call has failed due to no service. Undeterred, I hang up and redial... my heart beating rapidly as I hear the phone connecting this time... only to receive a message stating, We're sorry; you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error... and I hang up again.

 

I decide to try his cell phone, and I receive a similar message that the number is no longer in service. What the hell? I can only reach one conclusion: Brian wants nothing to do with me. If he's gone to the trouble of changing both his numbers so I'm unable to contact him... well, Brian Kinney... fuck you, you son of a bitch!! I can feel the tears burning at the corners of my eyes. As one escapes and slides down my cheek, I swallow around the lump in my throat.

 

"Justin, are you alright? Who are you trying to call?" Daphne asks, concern evident in her voice. "Your Mom? Tia?"

 

I take a deep breath and angrily wipe the tear away. "Nobody, Daph... nobody." I retake her hand in mine and squeeze it for all I'm worth. "I'm glad you're with me, Daphne. If I have to go through something as harrowing as a tornado while stuck in a Home Depot, there's no one else I'd rather have with me." I also find myself holding McKenna a little tighter and silently apologize for placing her in such a dangerous situation so early in her life. I should have listened to my gut instinct when I saw the darkening sky and stayed home.

 

Daphne tries to keep a quiet, casual chatter running; whether it's to reassure me or herself, I'm grateful. It helps me push the gut-wrenching pain of Brian's callousness aside.

 

Fifteen minutes later, the manager comes back onto the PA, informing us that the news forecaster just announced that the storm has passed with minimal damage to our area. I breathe a sigh of relief and thank a God I have not been in touch with since ninth grade when I stopped going to Bible study classes.

 

I look at my best friend and see the relief on her face, too. With one final, small squeeze to her hand, I say, "Come on. Let's take our little girl home. The hell with seeing the Hollywood sign." Suddenly, my priorities are back in place, and showing Daphne the epitome of tourist attractions in L.A. doesn't seem so important anymore.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

So, the baby is finally here. I hope everybody likes the name. Many thanks to everyone who tossed names out there. Much of this chapter was written from my own personal experience. We had a tornado come through moments before I had to leave for the hospital, when my firstborn, who weighed 11 lbs. 1 oz. and was 22" long, was born ten minutes after arriving. No C-section for me, though.

The reference Daphne gave to the name Shamu, was a real live performing orca at SeaWorld in the late 60s. He weighed almost 2,000 lbs. and was almost 14 feet long.