- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The start of Brian's new life, and a peek of Justin's current one.

 

 

“What? Cat got your tongue?” he said after he explained the situation to the munchers.

Lindsay gulped before speaking. “What do you expect us to say? You show up at night with a three-year old. You tell us he was abandoned at the loft and he’s yours.”

“Well he looks like he could be Gus’ twin, that and the conception and birth are the right time. His birth father was that kid I brought to the hospital with Mikey when Gus was born.”

“Christ, Brian, you knocked up that kid. He was only seventeen,” Mel snapped.

“I’m sorry not everyone can be as saintly as you. Now if you’re done bitching at me I would like to report my son’s abuse to an officer of the court.”

That seemed to snap both women out of their indignation. They turned to look at the boy sleeping in his arms. Thomas had fallen asleep in the jeep on the drive over. It was a lucky thing that he had Gus earlier that day and hadn’t moved the car seat from the backseat.

“He was abused?” Lindsay asked, anguish clearly written on her face.

“There are bruises on his bottom, legs and back.” Thomas had his head on Brian’s shoulder, still sleeping. It was easy to left the back of his shirt to show the bruises that were visible.

“Oh, god,” Lindsay gasped.

“Son of a bitch. His birth father did this to him?” Mel asked, anger darkening her eyes.

“No, his husband did. Apparently he’s pregnant again and doesn’t think he has a chance in hell to get custody of that baby. So he left him in front of my door.”

“Not if he lets his husband beat on his child,” Mel criticized.

“From the letter he wrote, it seems this is the first time. He said that every other time that it has been on him. But I think the abuse even if it wasn’t physical until recently it’s been emotional for a long time.”

“I think we need to take him to the hospital and get this reported. It will be better for you in the long run. Like if the guy comes back and tries to take him.”

Even though he didn’t want to get the kid in trouble he couldn’t let this go. Thomas had been abused much longer than a day or so. It didn’t matter if it was only physical now, it was emotional before. He had physical, emotional and verbal abuse aimed at him. He would be damned if it happened to Thomas a second longer. Hopefully, after a day or so he could talk Mel and Lindsay into taking him in. He didn’t feel like he could be the parent the kid deserved. 

Maxwell had found out about Tommy a few hours earlier when he came home. Maria had been fired when Maxwell couldn’t get her to tell him where she took Tommy. Justin was thankful for that. Brian needed time to get everything straightened out before Maxwell found him.

It was a complete surprise to him that Maxwell seemed to care. But Justin knew it was only because he wasn’t in control of what was going on with Tommy. The thought of someone being nice to Tommy seemed to aggravate him. That didn’t matter to Justin, he could take whatever Maxwell dished out now. Tommy was safe and that was all that mattered.

The new bruises covering Justin’s body didn’t even really register to him. All his thoughts were on Tommy, because if he thought about the baby he was losing at that moment he would truly breakdown. Maxwell lost control and didn’t stop until Justin was bloody on the ground. He had cleaned himself up as best as possible before the pain in his belly started. He knew what was happening because it had happened before, although Maxwell didn’t know about that one.

Thoughts of Tommy playing with his big brother and father danced in his head. Tommy smiling, playing with any toy he wanted, and not one person to take the toy away and say he’s not allowed. When Maxwell came back into the room to finish what he started earlier it was good to lose himself in the blackness of the unknown.

Four days since he became a full time father and he was ready to pull his hair out. Melanie was all about helping him keep Tommy out of that home. She was also all about making him take responsibility for his actions. So now his loft was a damn toy store.

When everyone had heard about his life before he came to Brian they came out, and like gay men and Debbie they did it fabulously. He would have gotten mad but not when he saw Tommy’s face.

The Day After Tommy’s Arrival.

Tommy was sleeping peacefully on the bed while Brian browsed online looking for a kid’s bed. He didn’t want anything too ostentatious, just something simple but nicely built. Tommy hadn’t said much to him the night before. At the hospital he mostly held onto Brian and tried to bury his face in his chest. They talked to the doctor and the cops. The cops made a report and told him to keep in contact if the other father contacts him. From the way it seemed they were just letting this go as rough punishment but they took pictures and kept the letter as evidence. They also ran a DNA test; he should have the results by the end of the week.

At the hospital Melanie made it clear to him that Tommy was his child. He hadn’t even brought up the subject but she knew anyway. They both knew if he asked Lindsay, Tommy would have a bed in Gus’ room by the end of the business day.

As he browsed around online for a bed he heard the intercom buzzer go off. Just as he was headed over to answer it there was a pounding on the door.

As he slid open the door he was shocked to see Michael and Ben. They both were holding large bags with a local toy store on the front of them.

“What the hell Mikey? Did you rob a toy store?”

“Damn near,” Michael said good-naturedly.

“Where can I set this stuff?” Ben asked, holding up his bags.

“Back at your place.”

Just then he heard the lift start up and knew it was coming up to his floor. Apparently the munchers were up early spreading the news.

It didn’t surprise him when Debbie shuffled out of the lift with her arms filled with bags, Carl behind her holding some kind of casserole.

“Where is the little darling?” she asked, bumping him out of the way as she walked inside. Carl gave him a sympathetic look.

“Tommy is asleep? Unless you are talking about the trick I had the other night,” he said, coolly.

“Well, those days are long over now. Congratulations, it’s a boy,” Deb said, eyes searching for the boy.

Anger filled him at those words but he wouldn’t take the bait. They were all waiting for him to freak out. Well, they could wait ‘til fucking doomsday. He wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.

“Hello.” He heard Ben’s smooth, calm, voice say. Looking up he saw Tommy standing at the top of the steps to the bedroom.

“Tommy come here,” Brian said gently. Tommy ran down the steps and threw himself at Brian’s legs. It must be a little overwhelming having the place filled with strangers just when he was getting used to Brian.

“Wow, he really does look just like Gus,” Michael said.

“Holy Shit, another kid in the family. I just can’t believe it. But I guess I should have expected it with as many men you have stuck your dick in. One had to be a carrier, along with a condom failure,” Debbie added.

Brian ignored the dig and picked Tommy up. The boy’s shaggy hair fell into his face; he would have to get a haircut soon.

Ben started to take toys out of the bags they brought. There were a lot of toys in one bag, they must have spent at least one of the professor’s paychecks on it. When they were at Lindsay’s last night he got a few outfits, but Tommy refused any of the toys, almost breaking down when Mel tried to give him some. Tommy had woken up as they were getting ready for the hospital. Mel tried to give him one of Gus’ old bears. Tommy just said no, that he wasn’t allowed. It was heartbreaking.

“Tommy, look what we got you,” Ben said, holding out a toy dinosaur. A stegosaurus.

Tommy looked at the toy with wide, wanting eyes. But he didn’t reach for the toy.

“Here, take it,” Ben said, softly.

Tommy looked at Brian’s face then back at Ben, then back at Brian. Brian got it then, he was waiting for him to tell him what to do.

“Go ahead, Sonnyboy. Take it.”

Little hands tentatively reached out for the dinosaur, he looked like he was expecting to be hit at any minute. It made Brian wonder if it really was the first time he was hit, maybe it was just the first time Justin had seen it happen.

Once Tommy had the dinosaur in hands he pulled it to him.

“Steg’saurus,” he said quietly.

The whole room quietened down and looked at him. He was only three, how in the world did he know what kind of dinosaur it was?

“Yeah, it’s a stegosaurus. How did you know?” Brian asked, clutching Tommy closer to him.

“Pa,” was all he said.

The next hour was amazing to watch. Tommy got toy after toy, his face lightening up like crazy at every one of them. Then Debbie served the tuna casserole and the boy looked at it like it was from a five-star restaurant.

By the end of the day he had more toys then he knew what to do with. Ted, Emmett and Cynthia showed up later with just as much stuff as the others. Shockingly, the next day Joan showed up with three bags full of clothes for Tommy, and they weren’t even horrible.

Now he was waiting for Lindsay to drop Gus off. It was the first time the boys would meet each other. Tommy had been asking where Gus was. It seemed Justin told Tommy about him. Brian had wanted to make sure he felt comfortable before bringing Gus over. It was finally time, Tommy’s bed had just come in yesterday and he put in up a privacy screen.

Lindsay arrived just on time with Gus. Mel had been put on bedrest the day before. Now hopefully he would be able to move two feet without being yelled at by the harpy.

“Brian, it looks so different in here.” It did, there were toys everywhere. Not in a cluttered way though, Tommy was obsessed with keeping everything nice and tidy. So much, that it was a bit worrisome.

“I know; it looks like a fucking toy store.”

“Daddy!” Gus yelled. Brian caught the boy as he flew towards him.

“Sonnyboy, I missed you,” he said, hugging Gus to him.

There was a small noise behind him, he saw Tommy looking at them with tears in his eyes.

“Gus, did Mommy tell you about your little brother?” he asked, knowing she had.

“Yep, I’m a big brother.” He squirmed to be let down. Turning to Tommy he walked over to him. “Hi, Tommy, I’m Gus. I’m your big brother so I get to tell you want to do.”

“GUS!” Lindsay and Brian both shouted.

Gus turned back towards them. “What? That’s what my friend Eli says. When you’re a big brother you get to boss around the little brother.”

All the time Tommy watched the interaction. His tears had dried, now he just looked curious at this new rambunctious boy. Last year Gus had been extremely shy, but now he was just so loud and outgoing.

“Be nice,” Lindsay said.

Gus huffed and turned back to Tommy. “You got toys?” he asked.

Tommy nodded his head warily.

“Wanna play together?” Gus asked.

“Share?”

“Yep, you got some really cool looking toys. But we don’t have to play with your toys if you don’t to share. We can play tag or lava.”

Brian watched as his two sons pretended the floor was lava and jumped from surface to surface. He was close to yelling at them but the total joy on both of their faces stopped him. Had he ever felt so carefree and happy when he was their age? No, he hadn’t. He was too busy trying to stay out of Jack’s way, wishing his mother would stop self-medicating and take him and Claire away. But that didn’t happen. The past was not going to repeat itself.

Thinking about his home life made him remember Tommy’s other father. The letter he wrote said it all. He had already given up. That meant the only person that Tommy truly loved and trusted was doomed. Tommy maybe adjusting here but he missed his father terribly and cried for him at night.

At that, another thought occurred to him. If he was able to get Justin out of that situation, and into his own place. Maybe even in his own building. If he was able to do that, they could share custody, and his life wouldn’t have to change so much. He would be able to go on with his life like normal and be able to still have Tommy in his life and watch over him. All he really had to do was help Justin keep custody of is unborn baby.