- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.


I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my wonderful beta, Judy, for her skills in tidying up my work, and my beloved granddaughter, Marika, for her evocative banner.  I love you girls.

I would also like to add one special note for this story.  I have been under the mistaken impression for years that Brian was Joan's firstborn.  Thankfully, many of you have straightened me out on this point. However, it is integral to this story that Brian is the firstborn, so please indulge my twist on this one canon issue.  Thank you.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian is living his happy uncomplicated life, with husband Justin, in New York City when he gets a most unexpected and unwelcome phone call from a stranger.

 

Brian Kinney, ad man extraordinaire, woke with one of the worst hangovers he had ever experienced in his entire misspent lifetime.  It took him several minutes before he could muster the courage to open his eyes and face the streaming light coming through the hotel windows.  He wasn’t even in the bed, which told him that he had passed out before making it there.  He finally managed the strength to push himself up on one elbow, so he could look at his surroundings and get his bearings.  He found himself sprawled haphazardly on the couch, one leg dangling over the side.  He let out a loud groan, along with a few choice curse words.  That’s when he heard sounds coming from the bathroom.  A moment later, he saw Justin entering the room.  He had the bedsheet wrapped around his body like a toga, which trailed along the floor behind him as he joined Brian, who was doing his best to sit up straight. 

 

 

 

“Morning, lover.  I’m sorry you got stuck on the couch, but I did try to move you to the bed.  But in your own words… ‘leave me the fuck alone!  Just let me die here.’  So, I did.”

 

 

 

“Coffee!  I need a gallon of coffee!” Brian croaked through parched lips.

 

 

 

Justin tried not to smirk as he stepped towards the couch and planted a quick peck on Brian’s flushed cheek. 

 

 

 

“Coming up, sire,” he grinned.  He tossed off a ‘I warned you last night to slow down’ over his shoulder when he heard Brian groan loudly again as he finally sat upright.

 

 

 

Brian grimaced, hating to hear ‘I told you so’ from his husband, especially when he knew Justin was in the right.  But after a little over ten years of marriage, it had happened often enough for Brian to let go of his irritation quickly.  He figured it was what he deserved for settling down with someone as smart and intuitive as his beloved Justin.  Actually, Brian seldom lost control of his drinking now that he was in his mid-forties.  It wasn’t as easy to spring back into tip-top shape the next day as it had been a decade ago.  So, he simply gave up his hard-drinking ways, for the most part.  But last night was an exception.  Anyone who knew Brian, and the family he sprang from, would certainly understand his actions last night.  He knew Justin did, even if he didn’t fully approve.  It all started with the lawyer he spoke with the day after he returned to Pittsburgh.  No, first came the phone call a couple of days before that.  Then the lawyer changed everything.

 

 

 

***************************************************

 

 

 

Brian came home from work on Monday feeling tired and irritable.  Although his business was prosperous and considered one of the top-notch ad agencies in New York City, he still had to deal with difficult clients on occasion.  He could, of course, leave those to some of his best employees, but Brian liked keeping on top of things personally.  His personal touch often helped to keep clients coming back time and again.  Today, however, was one of those days in which Brian wished he had turned the client over to someone else.  By the time the client had left his office, Brian had a headache that felt suspiciously like he was being repeatedly hit by a blunt object to the temple.  The moment he walked in the door of their upscale loft apartment, with the artist’s studio attached, Brian hastily made his way to the bathroom to find the bottle of Tylenol.  He didn’t really like for Justin to see him so grumpy.  He hoped the meds would soften the throbbing in his head. 

 

 

 

Brian had just downed the first two tablets when he heard the front door opening and closing.  He heard Justin calling for him.  Brian swallowed one more tablet, closed the cabinet door, and went out to the living room.  There stood his husband, arms loaded with several packages, some looking quite heavy. 

 

 

 

“There you are.  I’m glad you’re home.  Can you come here and help me with some of these packages.  I feel like my arms are going to break any second now.”

 

 

 

Brian hurried over to help his husband, momentarily forgetting the pain in his head.  But Justin, always the perceptive one, saw something in his face, despite the attempt at a smile.

 

 

 

“Hey, lover, what’s up?  You look like death warmed over.”

 

 

 

“Thanks!  I thought you said I’d always look young and beautiful.  Now give me some of those packages.  What did you do, spend every last penny of your most recent artist’s commission in one day?”

 

 

 

“Very funny!  No, most of this stuff is just additional art supplies.  I just received a new commission this morning, along with the one I’m working on now.  Then, I just happened to notice that your favorite men’s shop was having a huge sale, so I stopped in to pick up a few things I thought you might like.  And don’t you dare say a thing.  You know damn good and well that you love buying new clothes and shit for me whenever you get a particularly nice bonus from one of your clients.  What’s good for the goose, etc. etc. etc.”

 

 

 

Brian laughed for the first time today.  He knew Justin was right.  They did love spoiling each other.  Amazingly, he felt his headache fading away.  It might be the pills, he thought to himself, but chances were more likely that it was just being with Justin.  The young man did have quite a way with making everything alright in Brian’s world by simply being himself.  The couple carried the packages into the bedroom and deposited them onto the bed.  One by one, they opened each bag and removed the contents… artist’s supplies on one side and clothing on the other.  Brian admired each of the articles Justin had chosen for him, along with the ones he’d bought for himself.  His husband had such good taste… taught to him by Brian, of course.  Justin carried his art supplies off to his studio while Brian began putting up the new clothes. 

 

 

 

Once Justin returned to the bedroom, Brian scooped him into his arms and gave him a deep satisfying kiss of appreciation for the new wardrobe.   Within seconds, the kiss became more passionate and flames ignited, as they always did with the couple.  Forgotten completely was Brian’s angst over his bad day at the office.  The heat began building immediately as they deepened their kisses and began pulling off pieces of clothing.  Quickly, they found themselves locked in a tight embrace with not a stitch of clothing separating their bodies.  They tumbled together onto the king-sized bed, still wrapped in each other’s arms.  Tongues snaked out to lick sensitive spots which experience taught them were favorites.  Despite the fact that their joint manhoods were as rigid as steel and weeping for attention, neither lover felt the need to hurry things.  Long ago, they had learned to savor their lovemaking and make it last as long as possible.  They began exploring all the special nooks and crannies of each other’s bodies, as if they didn’t already know every single inch of skin by heart.  But eventually the need to be one again became too strong to resist.  Justin made the entrance to his body totally accessible as Brian joyfully accepted the invitation.  Soon the room was filled with the sound of torrid passions being fulfilled as they came together as one.

 

 

 

Totally spent, and completely forgetting that he had ever arrived home with a headache, Brian stretched out hip to hip with Justin as they allowed their bodies to slowly revert back to normal.  Once their breathing was back in control, they got up and made their way to the bathroom to clean up.  A hot shower together found them refreshed and ready for the dinner, which their activity had helped them work up an appetite for.  After redressing, Justin headed for the kitchen to prepare their meal, while Brian retired to the living room to see what was on TV.  It was then that Brian’s cell phone rang.  Brian answered with a smile.  He was feeling so much better.  Then he frowned.  He didn’t recognize the voice on the other end of the line.

 

 

 

“Hello.  Is this Mr. Brian Kinney?” Came the strange voice.

 

 

 

In an irritated voice, Brian answered, “It is.  And just who are you?”

 

 

 

“This is Detective Richard Clemson of the Pittsburgh Police Department.”

 

 

 

“What can I do for the boys in blue, Detective?  I haven’t been back to the Pitts in quite some time.”

 

 

 

“Yes sir, I understand.  I’m calling to inform you that there has been an accident, and…”

 

 

 

Brian interrupted.  “An accident.  Who are you talking about?  What kind of accident?” 

 

 

 

Brian’s mind raced.  Why in the world would they be calling him about an accident happening in Pittsburgh?  Could it have something to do with the club?  Although he was still the owner of Babylon, he left all the running of the place to Ted and his loyal staff.  He finally heard the detective’s voice penetrating his thoughts.

 

 

 

“It was a car accident.  Apparently, your mother and sister were on their way to evening church services last night when a drunken driver collided with their car.  They were taken to the hospital and rushed into surgery.  We had a hard time finding any relatives to inform.  We finally spoke to neighbors who told us that the women lived alone together.  Apparently, you have two nephews, but they left home as soon as they graduated from high school, and no one has heard from them since.  They couldn’t give us any information on how to find them.   They mentioned that Mrs. Kinney had a son who lived in New York City, but we were only able to find your address and phone number when we entered the house, and located an address book.”

 

 

 

“Address book?  I never gave Joan or my sister our address.”

 

 

 

“Nevertheless, it was in there and that’s how we knew how to reach you.”  The officer sounded taken aback by Brian’s response and the casual way he called his mother by her first name.  “I regret to inform you that neither woman survived the surgery.  They both passed from their injuries.  It appears that you are the next of kin, so we will need to know what you wish to do with their bodies.”

 

 

 

Brian’s brain shut down.  Both his sister and mother were dead… it didn’t sound possible.  He barely ever thought of either of them anymore.  He didn’t even know that the two brats his sister gave birth to had left home… probably to get away from both women, he thought to himself.  And who could blame them?  But why did that have to mean that he would be responsible for decisions regarding what to do with them now?  No, he couldn’t think straight right now.  He needed to talk to Justin before making any decisions.

 

 

 

“Look, Detective Clemson, this is the last thing I expected to hear tonight.  You will have to give me time to talk with my husband about this.  Where are they now?”

 

 

 

The detective caught the word ‘husband’ but wasn’t bothered.  He had a gay brother.  “The bodies are still in the hospital morgue.  They will need to know as soon as possible as to who they should release them to.  Can you get back to me tomorrow?”

 

 

 

Brian agreed and wrote down the man’s number, along with the name of the hospital.  As he hung up the phone, his mind began racing again.   Justin… he needed Justin!  Brian walked slowly into the kitchen, where Justin was humming some cheery show tune as he whipped up his usual spectacular meal.  He heard Brian approaching behind him, turned with a smile, which faded the moment he saw Brian’s face.  Justin dropped his ladle onto the counter and walked quickly over to where Brian stood, looking upset over something.

 

 

 

“What’s going on, Brian?  You look like you’ve just lost your best friend.”

 

 

 

“Not a friend, Sunshine.  Not even close.  I just got a call from the police in Pittsburgh.  They informed me that Joan and Claire were killed last night in a car accident… something about a drunken driver while they were on their way to a church service.”  Brian grimaced.  “Ironic if you think about it.  If she wasn’t such a ‘devout’ religious fanatic, she’d still be alive today.”  Brian gave a short mirthless laugh.

 

 

 

Justin gathered Brian into his arms.  “I’m so sorry.  I know there was little love lost with your mother and sister, but they were all the family you had left.”

 

 

 

Brian’s voice rose as he stepped out of Justin’s arms.  “Family?  They didn’t know the meaning of family.  Debbie, Vic, and Michael were my family growing up, and still are… and of course, you!  The only thing that has me upset is that they can’t find Claire’s two sons, so they expect me to handle all the funeral arrangements.  I don’t even know what the fuck they wanted done with their remains, although I guess they would want to be buried where Jack is.”

 

 

 

“So what do you want to do then?  Whatever you do, I’ll help in any way I can.”

 

 

 

“I guess I don’t have much of a choice,” Brian said, with obvious reluctance.  “I’ll make arrangements at work for a few days away and return to the Pitts.  I’ll get things settled about them there and get back home as quickly as possible.  As soon as I have them laid to rest, I…we can get back to our lives.”

 

 

 

“You’re not going alone.  I’ll be with you.”

 

 

 

 

 

Justin pulled Brian back into his arms.  He didn’t pull away this time.  It felt safe being held by the one person that he knew loved him without any reservations.  With Justin by his side, he could handle anything.  That included finally laying to rest the last remnants of the family that never loved him the way a child deserved.

 

 

 

To be continued……