- Text Size +

Strangers in the Night


Chapter 3

Lex was curious and only mildly miffed when he realized that Brian's assistant went home with his roses in her arms. He concluded that Brian was too much of a macho man to be seen with a large floral arrangement. Lex was sure that Justin was sentimental enough to appreciate the flowers. He was a little more than angered to see Justin come out of the diner with only his messenger bag slung across his shoulders and a large take out bag in his hands. It was times like this that Lex wished he didn't give up all his electronic listening devices. He eased up behind the Vette to watch Brian get out and open the door for Justin. Tailing the Vette, Lex expected the car to turn onto Tremont. Instead the couple drove to the nearest park.


After parking the car, Brian and Justin walked to the picnic tables and sat at one closest to the car and nearby streetlight. Lex, dressed in black, remained in the shadows behind a tree to listen.


"You feel okay?"


"Yeah, I just need a some air before we go home. The diner was a little warm. I hope you don't mind, I had Debbie pack us up some dinner. I really don't feel like cooking tonight."


"It better not be the meatloaf."


"Uh uh, grilled chicken caesar salads and she threw in a couple of bottles of water. Oh and some lemon bars, a lot of lemon bars."


"Does that woman think she can cure everything with a lemon bar?"


"You mean she can't?"


"Did Debbie take home the offending foliage?"


"Yeah, Emmett came by to pick her up so he carried them home. The vase was heavy."


"I know, expensive too."


"How do you know that?"


"It's twin was waiting for me at the office when I got back from lunch. From what Cynthia told me, it was delivered by the same guy who brought yours. She also told me that the vase is real crystal and the roses aren't the cheap sold on the street corner kind. Whoever sent them dropped at least two bills on them."


"You're kidding, right."


"I don't kid about money. I sent my bunch home with Cynthia. I don't want a repeat performance of your death scene from this afternoon."


"Stop exaggerating. I didn't die."


"No, just came too close to not breathing for my liking. Justin, please, you're supposed to carry the inhaler with you. You'd think with all those damn pockets in your pants you'd find room for one little inhaler."


"I'm sorry, Brian."


"Sorry is bullshit. From now on carry the damn thing, okay?"


"Okay."


Lex leaned around the tree, observing and listening to the couple's exchange. ‘Now I understand. The kid has allergies, must have had some sort of asthma attack at the diner. That's why they gave away the flowers.' Lex mused over the situation. ‘Huh, death by flowers. That would be a first for me, would look good on an assassin's resume. Death by gun shot, explosives, slicing open throats, breaking necks and the ever popular attack of the red roses.' As Lex continued reminiscing about his past exploits, he watched the blond feed bits of a lemon bar to Brian.


"Enough, Justin. You want me to get fat? There's got to be a gazillion calories in that thing."


"Just wanted to see how much you love me."


"You don't need to drown me lemon bars to know that. Come on, time to go home. Do you mind if we skip Babylon tonight? I have an early meeting and I need to tweak a campaign."


"No, I don't mind. Michael sent over some ideas for the next issue of Rage. I want to look them over, see if they spark a sketch or two."


"Sounds good. Let's get this show on the road, Sunshine."


Lex remained seated by the tree and watched the couple walk leisurely to the car then drive off. Without the need to follow, Lex decided to go to the bar on Liberty to see what he could pick up for the night. He doubted whether anyone would live up to the reputation of Brian or Justin but he needed something to take the edge off. Lex drove to Liberty Avenue in search of easy prey.


He approached Woody's but was hesitant to enter. He knew what kind of bar Woody's was and had an idea of the men and women who hung out there. But this knowledge didn't calm his nerves. He wondered if he would be recognized and thrown out or worse, beat up. He would have gone to another gay bar but he didn't know of any. As Chris rubbed the sweat off his palms onto his jeans, a tall man dressed in black came out of the shadows.


"Looking for company?"


"Uh, I'm not sure."


"Your first time?"


"Sort of."


"You look like a man who'd appreciate the difference between a Rolex and a Timex. Why don't you come to my hotel and join me in a drink in my suite. I promise your first time will be very memorable and pleasurable."


"Well, I, I'm not..."


"You can follow me in your car and see for yourself that I'm not staying at a roach motel. And you look like you can use a friend."


"Yeah, things haven't been so good for a few years."


"Then join me and we can exchange horror stories and maybe release a few pent up frustrations."


"Okay, but you'll let me leave at anytime?"


"You can leave any time you want. I wont handcuff you to the bed, not unless you want me too."


"Let's go. By the way, I'm Chris, Chris Ho..."


"Lex and no last names, it's better that way."


"Right."


Chris followed Lex to his hotel, parked his car in the lot and then followed Lex to his suite. Indeed it was a suite, after so many years living and hiding in dark alleys and sewers like the rat he once was, Lex had developed a taste for the high life. Chris was in for a treat.


By the end of the night or more accurately, the wee hours of the morning, Lex had had his fill of Chris and was hoping the young man would take the hint and leave. Being rather continental, Lex politely waited until Chris woke up out of his sex sated sleep and limped on home. Lex had little trouble persuading Chris to accept Lex's brand of love-making. Chris would remember his experiences for at least a week, especially when he tried to sit down.


Content for now, Lex took a hot shower then went to bed. Unable to sleep, his mind was racing at a hundred miles per hour. Lex came to the conclusion that it would be easier making a play for Justin. Brian would not be easily seduced nor would he like being on the receiving end of some rough sex games. Lex preferred a willing participant although he wasn't adverse to taking what he wanted. No, his best bet was the blond. The blond was young and most young men could be charmed out of their pants. Lex could be very charming.


Being the trained observer, Lex deftly memorized Justin's schedule as well as Brian's. He also did his homework, researched both men before contacting Justin. Lex would get the blond alone when he knew that Brian was occupied at Kinnetic on the pretext of hiring the ‘starving' young artist to do a portrait. Light and airy, the hotel suite would make a perfect studio. The fireplace a perfect focal point for seduction. And Lex a very grateful art lover.

 

Lex doubled checked the business cards he had made up in his current alias then checked his appearance in the full length mirror in his bedroom. Perfect. Brian was safely conducting his business at Kinnetic and Justin was slinging hash or whatever foul specials they passed off as food at the diner. Lex was ready to put his plan into motion.