- Text Size +

Arrangements by Rage  



Pittsburgh



Brian went to see Melanie on Sunday morning.  He wasn't looking forward to asking her for help, but it had to be done, if his plan to get Justin back to Pittsburgh had any hope of working.



He rang the bell and waited.  When the door opened, Gus stood there smiling at him.



"Daddy!" Gus grinned.



Brian picked him up and gave him a kiss.  "And how are you this fine morning, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked with a touch of the Irish in his voice.



"Good," Gus giggled as Brian blew on his neck.



"You seem to be in a better mood," Lindsay observed.  She had her coat on and held Gus' coat in her hand.



"Are you going out?" Brian asked.



"I'm taking Gus for a walk while you and Mel talk."



"Maybe, you should be here," Brian said, hoping her support would sway Melanie towards helping him.



"You said it was legal business when you called, so I'll take Gus out of your hair, until you're done."



Brian didn't know how to argue with that.  She took Gus from him and put on his coat. They were out the door and gone before either Brian or Gus could protest.  Brian sucked in a breath and went into the living room. He could see Melanie working at the dining room table.



"Mel," he said.



"Just a minute," she replied, apparently reading some papers.



'She's going to love every minute of this,' Brian thought.  "Sure," he replied.



Melanie made him wait several minutes, and then she told him to sit down at the table.  She gave him a self-satisfied look. "So what can I do for you?"



Brian began his explanation of how he hoped to get Justin back to Pittsburgh.  Melanie already knew his worries about Justin, having been filled in by Lindsay.  He explained Justin's wishes about the Rage comic. When he was done, Melanie said, "So you want me to come up with a document for Justin to sign that would give his share of Rage to Gus?"



"Yes," Brian said.



"How is this going to get him back here?  He can just have the papers faxed, sign them and that's the end of it."



"I know.  That's what he wants to have happen, but I want you to throw in a clause about a face to face meeting with Michael to work out the final details.  You can tell Justin that Michael won't sign off unless that happens."



"What does Michael say about all this?"



"He's agreed to it."



"Christ!  How do you always get people to do your bidding?"



"You think Justin's doing my fucking bidding?  I'm trying to save his goddamn life. I'm battling with everything I can muster."



"Are you sure that he's in that much trouble?" Melanie asked.



"I'm fucking positive!  If you saw him, you'd know it too."



"Okay," Melanie said.  "I'll fax a preliminary contract to him with a rider about the meeting with Michael.  We'll make it about the killing off of JT. I'll say that Michael will refuse to do that unless he discusses it with Justin face to face.  I'll ask him to call me and set something up."



"Good."



"What if he wants Michael to go to Dartmouth?"



"We have to get him here, Mel.  If he brings that up, say that Michael can't leave the store, or whatever the fuck it takes to get him here."



"Okay, okay," Melanie said.  "I'll do my best."



"Thanks," Brian said.



"I have just one more question for you?"



"Yeah?  What's that?"



"Once you get him here, how are you going to keep him here?"



"I'm working on that."



"Which means…?"



"I don't have a final answer.  I'll tell you more when I know he's coming here," Brian said, wishing that his plan did have a more definite outcome.  It was pretty nebulous, and it hinged on so many people and the things they might say to Justin. He didn't know whether it would be enough or not.



"Okay, I'll start on the paperwork tomorrow.  He wants it sent through his father's office, right?" Melanie asked.



"Yes…" Brian started to say.  "Shit! If his father sees the request for him to come here, he might not even pass it on to Justin.  Is there some other way to get the papers to him?"



"I guess I could fax the university and have them call him in to pick them up.  I'll look into it."



"Thanks," Brian said and he got up to leave.



"I hope this works, Brian," Melanie said.  "If Justin's in the shape you described to Lindsay, he needs help."



"I know.  It has to work," Brian said as he put on his coat.  



Dartmouth



Justin had been at Dartmouth for a little over two weeks.  His life had fallen into a dull routine. He went to class alone.  He ate in the cafeteria alone. He stayed in his room alone. Occasionally he went to the library or the art gallery, alone, of course.



He was doing all right in his courses.  He had lots of time to work on assignments, because he had no life other than doing that.  He managed to get through each day, especially if he didn't allow his mind to wander to the things he couldn't do and the things he couldn't have.  It was always easier when he slept. And he slept a lot. That was his only release.



Sometimes he had the best dreams, of Brian and making love.  He couldn't control his dreams, but he was always glad when they were of Brian.  He loved that face, that body, those lips. Often when he awoke he had ejaculated in his bed, but he had lots of time to do laundry, and the dreams were always worth it.  Other times he would awaken with an aching hard-on and have to jerk off. That was okay too, because he could picture Brian's face and feel Brian's mouth on his cock as he jacked himself off.



He didn't hate his life.  He had given up demanding emotions like hate and anger and regret.  He was still working on giving up love, but he thought he could probably do that too.  He'd never experience it again, except in his dreams.



Pittsburgh



Brian had one more visit to make.  This one might be the hardest. He stopped outside Jennifer's condo.  With a sigh he got out of the Jeep and walked up to the front door. He rang the bell.



"Brian!" Jennifer gasped when she opened the door.  "What are you doing here?"



"I need to talk to you.  May I come in?"



"I…I guess so."



'Ever the proper hostess!' Brian thought.  'At least that got me through the front door.'  He removed his coat and Jennifer motioned for him to sit down.



"So what brings you here?" she asked pleasantly.



"I have a request," Brian said.



"Oh?"



"I'm trying to set up a meeting with Justin here in Pittsburgh," Brian began.



"Brian, I told you I don't want to interfere…"



"I'm doing this with or without your help, so please listen to me.  Then you can make your decision."



"All…right," she said rather tentatively.



Brian once again described his plan and her potential role in it.  She was quiet until he finished.



"I don't think this is a good idea.  Justin has made his decision."



Brian sighed.  "He made his decision based on faulty information.  That's what I want to correct. Once he knows the real facts he may choose a different path."



"I…I don't know."



"Jennifer," Brian said calmly, "he's in trouble.  He's drowning there at Dartmouth. I know it. I feel it."



"But he sounded all right on the phone."



"Mom, stop lying to yourself and to Brian!"



"Molly!  Have you been eavesdropping?"



"Yes, I have!" Molly said defiantly.  "You know that Justin hardly talks to us when we call.  He never laughs or jokes around. He never calls me Mollusk!" Molly ended with a catch in her voice.



'Out of the mouths of babes!' Brian thought.  "See, Jennifer, Molly can hear the depression in his voice and in his words!"



Jennifer shook her head.  "Have I been fooling myself?" she whispered.



"Mom, we have to help Justin.  Please!"



"Okay," Jennifer said, straightening her back.  "I'll go along with this. Let me know when you set it up."



"Good," Brian said, standing up.



"I want to help too," Molly stated.


 

"You just did, kiddo!" Brian said.