- Text Size +

Hard Decisions  



Dartmouth



Justin was on his way out of the residence to his first class of the day.



"Hey, Taylor!" Andy McPherson called to him before he could open the door to leave the building.



Justin turned to look at him.  He didn't like the security guard.  He had asked too many questions about Brian, and then his father had known all about Brian's visit.  There was likely only one way his father could have found out, and Justin was looking at him. "Yeah?" he asked.



"There's a message for you," Andy said, handing him a piece of paper.



"Thanks," he said, taking the paper.  He left the building to read it outside.  It was a note, probably in Andy's handwriting.  It said that there were some papers for him at administration.  The name of the person he should see was written below. Justin wondered what papers these would be, but he decided he better get to his first class.  He could find out what this was all about later.



Security Desk – First Year residence



Andy McPherson picked up the phone and dialed Craig Taylor's number.



"Mr. Taylor," he said, "your son just received a message to pick up some papers at administration."



"What papers?" Craig asked.



"I don't know.  I just took the message for your son.  They didn't say what the papers were about."



"Okay, Andy, I'll look into it.  Thanks for keeping me informed."




"No problem, Mr. Taylor."  Taylor's money made it no problem at all.  



Administration Building – Dartmouth



Justin arrived at administration just before lunch.  He asked for the person whose name was on the note. Angela came over to the counter.



"Hi," Justin said, "I'm Justin Taylor.  I had a message that you had some papers for me."



"That's right.  I'll get them." She turned back to her desk, rifled around and handed him several pages.  "These came in over the fax this morning," she said.



Justin was puzzled.  Who would be faxing him?  He took the papers and went out the door.  There was a fountain in the lobby and he sat on the edge to read the papers.  He quickly realized they were from Melanie and were about his wish to turn his share of Rage over to Gus.  He wondered why she had sent them to the university and not to his father as he had told Brian.



He quickly skimmed through the pages.  It seemed to be exactly what he had told Brian.  That was good. This would be over quickly and another chapter of his former life would be closed and finished.  As he flipped to the last page, he frowned. "What the fuck?" he whispered.



The last page was handwritten by Melanie, requesting Justin to call her.  According to Melanie, Michael wanted a face to face meeting about the demise of JT or else he wouldn't agree to kill him off.



Justin grimaced.  The last thing he wanted to do was meet with Michael.  He wanted to be done with the whole Rage fiasco, but he certainly wasn't going to see Michael.  He probably wanted to tear another strip off him for betraying Brian. "Shit!" he said out loud.  "Why can't they just let me alone?"



Pittsburgh – Melanie Marcus' Office



"Yes?" Melanie answered her phone.



"Melanie?" Justin said.



"Justin, is that you?" she asked.  "It's good to hear your voice."



"Sure," Justin replied.  "I got your message and the papers, but I'm not going to see Michael."



"Um … Michael was pretty clear that he wouldn't kill off JT unless you talk to him face to face," Melanie explained.



"Then just forget the whole thing," Justin sighed.



"What?  Wait, Justin, I thought you wanted to get this all settled.  Brian said you were clear about what you wanted to have happen."



"I am, but meeting with Michael wasn't part of it."



"But you can't settle anything until Michael agrees.  You are partners in the venture."




"We never signed an agreement," Justin said.



"That's even more of a problem," Melanie lied.  "If Michael wants to continue using JT as a character, you can't stop him."  She heard Justin sigh.



"Is he continuing with Rage?  Has he got another artist?" Justin asked.



"I guess so," Melanie said.  She was really winging it now.



"Shit!  I don't want to be associated with any of it anymore," Justin sighed again.



"Are you all right, Sweetie?" she asked.



"Sure," Justin replied.



"You sound funny.  Not like yourself."



"I'm fine, but I don't want to deal with this."



"Then come to Pittsburgh and meet with Michael.  He told me he doesn't hold a grudge. He just wants to settle the Rage issue face to face."




"I don't know," Justin wavered.  He sighed again.



"Justin, it would be best to get it all worked out as soon as possible."




"I guess you're right.  I'll think about it and get back to you."




"Good," Melanie said.  "Don't wait too long. Let's get this finished."




"I'll call you tomorrow," Justin said and hung up.



Nothing was ever easy.  He couldn't fathom why Michael would want to see him.  He needed to call his mother and see if he could come there for a day or two and get this mess straightened out.  He didn't want his father to know anything about this.



Pittsburgh – Craig Taylor's Office



Craig slammed down the receiver.  He had just finished talking to some bitch named Angela who worked in administration at Dartmouth.  Andy had remembered her name, and he had managed to get her on the phone. The problem was she couldn't or wouldn't tell him what the papers for Justin were.



He decided to call Justin and put him on the spot.  He couldn't think of any reason Justin should be getting papers faxed to him.  He wanted to know what the hell the kid was up to now.



He dialed Justin's number.



"Hello," Justin answered, surprised that anyone would be calling him during the day.  Only his mother and father had the number.



"Justin," his father began.  "How are your classes?"



"Fine," Justin replied, wondering why his father was checking up on him again.



"I understand that you received some papers today," his father stated.



'Shit!' Justin thought.  'That goddamn Andy!' He took a breath and said, "How do you know I got papers today?"



"I have my ways, and you haven't answered my question."



Justin tried to think of a good lie.  Then he decided most of the truth would do just as well.  "They were legal papers to end my affiliation with Rage and turn over any profits to Gus Marcus-Peterson."



"I thought we agreed to have any paperwork go through my office?"



"We did, and that's what I asked them to do.  Somehow Melanie Marcus sent the papers here. I'm just going to sign them and send them back to her.  That will be the end of it."



"Okay," Craig said.  He would have liked to see those papers, but he didn't think Justin could make up a story like that so quickly.  It must be the truth. "Justin, I'm glad you're severing another tie with your unsavory past. Sign those papers and send them back right away."



"Sure, Dad," Justin said and hung up.



He would have to be very careful.  He now knew for sure that Andy was spying on him for his father.  Could his life be any more fucked up? Maybe he should forget about giving his share to Gus, just wash his hands of the whole thing.  He loved Gus. He had been there the night he was born, and he felt that he and Gus had a special bond. He wanted to do something for the little boy.  Maybe Gus would remember him long after everyone else had forgotten him.