- Text Size +

Intervention  



Pittsburgh – Melanie and Lindsay's House



Justin got out of his mother's car in front of the munchers' house.  He looked at the building remembering the meals he had had there with Brian, the birthday party for Gus when he had started to remember the bashing, the times he had slept there when Brian had been an absolute ass.



"I'll be back to pick you up later," Jennifer said and drove off.



Molly waved to him from the car.  He had missed his sister, even though he made sure he didn't tell her that.  He had been really glad to see both her and his mother when they picked him up at the bus terminal last night.  He hadn't realized how lonely he had been until they had hugged him. He had removed himself from all human contact, especially intimate contact, ever since that kiss with Ric.  It felt good to have someone touch him even for a moment. That would all end as soon as he went back to Dartmouth.



Justin grimaced, squared his shoulders and walked up the steps to the front door.  He hoped Michael wasn't there yet. Then he could have a little time with Gus, before he had to face his soon to be ex-partner in Rage.



He rang the bell.  Lindsay opened the door and said, "Justin!" in that breathy and genuine voice of hers.  He couldn't help but smile. "There's someone here who's been waiting for you to arrive," she added.



Justin froze.  It couldn't be Brian.  He couldn't face him. Just then Gus looked around his mother's leg and said, "Hi, Jussin!"



"There's my buddy!" Justin exclaimed, relieved that it was Gus who was waiting to see him.  "Have you got a hug for me?"



Justin bent down and found his arms full of little boy.  Gus clung to his neck and Justin held his little body against his chest.  He could feel the tears welling up in his eyes, but he didn't care. This felt too good.  He didn't want to fight his emotions anymore. He just wanted to feel.



Lindsay stood and watched.  She saw the tears roll down Justin's face.  Gus looked at the young man and tried to wipe the tears away.  "Jussin," he said, "I love you. Don't cry."




Justin let the tears roll on.  He hugged Gus like his life depended on it.  "I love you too," he said. "I've missed you so much."




Gus kissed him and a few tears started down the little boy's cheeks as well.  When Justin realized how he was affecting Gus, he stood up straighter and wiped his eyes.  "We're silly, Gus," he said. "Crying over nothing." He gave Gus another kiss and set him down, but took his hand, not wanting to lose total contact.  "Sorry about that, Lindsay. I should know better."



"That's okay," she said.  "We've all missed you." She wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek.  She felt Justin pull back a bit, then relax and return her hug. "It's so good to see you again.  Come on in. Let me take your jacket."



Justin released Gus' hand just long enough to slip out of his coat.  Then his fingers quickly grasped the tiny hand again, feeling like it was an anchor for all the emotions running through him.



All of a sudden Melanie was there, hugging him tight and telling him it was about time that he came to see them.  They had missed him.



Justin hadn't expected such a warm welcome.  These were Brian's friends, the mothers of Brian's child and he had hurt Brian, betrayed him.  How could they welcome him back?



"Don't you ever take off like that again without telling us where you are!" Melanie said in that blunt way of hers.




Justin was floored.  They seemed to be genuinely glad to see him and concerned that he was all right.  "I didn't think any of Brian's friends would want anything to do with me after I went with Ethan," Justin said sadly.



"Well, you were wrong!" Melanie stated.  "We all know Brian can be such an asshole.  Nobody assumed it was all your fault."



"But it was!" Justin protested.



"Justin, the day Brian is blameless in a situation is the day we'll all be eating popsicles in Hell."  This was from Lindsay, Brian's friend. "Don't try to take all the credit for what happened."




"Credit?" Justin asked.



"I'm kidding.  But let's not talk about blame," Lindsay said.



Justin had sat down on the sofa and Gus was in the process of climbing up on him.  He set the boy on his lap and loosely wrapped his arms around the tiny waist. Gus leaned against him.



"So how's Dartmouth?" Melanie asked.



"Fine."




"Do you like your courses?"




"Sure."




"Justin, you don't seem very happy," Melanie said bluntly.  Lindsay gave her a knowing look.



"I'm fine," Justin replied, pulling Gus a little closer.  His face, and especially his eyes, said otherwise.



The two women exchanged looks.  Lindsay said, "Would you like some coffee or a soda?"



Justin shook his head.



"Michael should be here any time now," Melanie stated.  "Lindsay, why don't you put on a pot of coffee anyway, and I'll get all the papers organized.  You don't mind keeping Gus company for a few minutes, do you, Justin?"



"That's fine," Justin said.  "Isn't it, Gus?"



Gus nodded.  Lindsay and Melanie went out to the kitchen.  Melanie whispered, " What is with this 'I'm fine', 'Everything's fine' shit?"



"Brian was right.  He's not himself. Did you see the tears when he saw Gus?  His emotions are all over the map."



"I hope we're doing the right thing," Melanie said.



"We are!" Lindsay said, hoping that was true.



Gus looked at Justin.  "What's wrong?" he asked.  "You sad."




"A little, Gus" Justin admitted.



"Stay here.  Play with me."  Gus smiled at him.



"I'd like that."  Justin sighed. "But I've done something bad and I have to go away for a long time.  Forever."



"No," Gus whimpered.  "Stay here."



Justin wished he could.  He wanted nothing more than to come back here and be with people who loved him and didn't make him be something he wasn't.  But they were Brian's friends and not his. He couldn't go back. He had made his deal with his father and he would stick with it.



The front doorbell rang.  Justin froze. It would be Michael.  He wasn't sure he could face the man and his recriminations.  He felt panic spread through his body. He should never have come here.  Maybe he could get out the back door. He stood up and set Gus down. Gus grabbed his hand.  Justin looked up and there was Michael in the doorway.



Lindsay and Melanie stood behind Michael.  Melanie said, "Justin, Michael would like to talk to you privately first, so we'll take Gus upstairs.  Gus, come over here."



Gus knew something strange was happening.  He was a little scared and Justin seemed very frightened.  He released Justin's hand and went to his mothers. They picked him up and started up the stairs.  He gave a little wave to Justin who didn't seem to notice.



"Justin," Michael said softly.



Justin had a fleeting sense that Michael was as frightened as he was.  "Hello, Michael," he said with no emotion in his voice. "You wanted to talk to me?"




"Yes," Michael said and stopped.


 

Justin was sure he knew what was coming.  It would either be in the form of accusations or questions.  He had no answers for either. He sighed. "So?" Justin asked with a defeated voice.