- Text Size +

A Family Dinner  



Pittsburgh – Brian's Loft  



Two days went by after Craig Taylor announced his change of heart towards his son.  Justin had expected that his father would call him and want to get together, but no offer came.  By the beginning of the third day Justin was wondering if he had imagined the whole scene at his mother's condo.



Brian was worried that Justin was going to have his heart broken once more.  He had always believed that Craig was an asshole. When his father had declared that he wanted Justin to be part of his life, Brian had tried to warn the boy not to get his hopes up.  However, Justin thought he had finally gotten what he had dreamed of for so long. He would have his father's love and approval and still be able to have Brian too. Brian wasn't so sure that would ever happen.



"I wonder if he'll call me today," Justin said as he got ready to go to class.  Brian groaned before he was able to stop himself. Justin looked at him, knowing what the groan meant.  "You don't think he's going to call at all, do you?"



"Justin, I don't know.  I tried to tell you not to expect too much."



"I can't believe he would say all those things if he didn't mean any of it."



"Maybe he wanted to get on Molly's good side, so he did what she wanted him to do."



"Oh God, Brian, do you think that's it, that it was all a lie?"



Brian didn't know what to say.  That was more or less what he thought but he couldn't tell Justin that.  Not knowing how to be diplomatic about this delicate topic, he simply walked over to Justin and put his arms around his lover.  He said nothing, merely held on to him, giving his unspoken support and caring.



Justin leaned against Brian, wanting to cry, but determined to be strong and not give in to his fears that his father was going to let him down once again.  After a couple of minutes he straightened up and looked up into Brian's troubled eyes. "I'm okay now," he said softly.



The phone rang at that moment.  Brian released Justin wondering who was calling so early in the morning.  He picked up the receiver, saying, "Yeah."



"Brian?" he heard Jennifer's voice ask.



"Do you want Justin?" Brian asked, not wanting to talk to any Taylor other than Justin.



"Please."



Brian handed the phone to Justin, mouthing the word, "Mother."



Justin took the receiver and said, "Hi, Mom."



"Honey, can you come for dinner tonight?" Jennifer asked.



"I guess so.  Why?"



"Your father asked me to have a dinner so that we could be together and break the ice a bit."



"He did?  Why didn't he call me?" Justin asked.



"This isn't easy for him, Justin.  He still has to get used to the idea of you and Brian.  He's afraid you don't believe he wants to change, and that he'll do something that makes it look like he hasn't."



"That's stupid, Mom.  I'm still the same person.  All he has to do is treat me like he used to."



"But you're not really that same son anymore.  You've grown up, made decisions that he didn't like, taken a road that is very hard for him to come to terms with."



"I suppose," Justin had to admit she was right.  He wasn't that little kid who thought his father knew everything.  "Isn't there someone else who should be invited?"



"You mean Brian?  Craig and I discussed that.  I think he'd rather be with just you, but I told him you would want to bring Brian, so he agreed."



"He did?"



"Yes, he did."



"Reluctantly?"



Jennifer felt she had to be honest.  "Yes, rather reluctantly, but he did agree, and that's a major step forward."



"Let me ask Brian," Justin said.  He put his hand over the phone and turned to Brian who was getting his coat on to go to work.  "Will you come with me to dinner at Mom's tonight?"



Brian made a face, but the earnest expression that Justin revealed made him change his negative response into a nod of his head indicating that he would go.  He waved to Justin and walked out of the loft, heading to an early meeting that he was already probably late for.



Justin watched him go, wondering if Brian realized what he and his mother had been talking about.  He hoped so because Brian was going to be pissed if he hadn't figured out that Craig Taylor was going to be there too.



Pittsburgh – Jennifer's Condo



The Jeep pulled into the driveway at Jennifer's.  Brian had immediately noted the silver Audi parked on the street.  "Is that your father's car?" Brian asked.



"Yes," Justin replied.  He had been trying to figure out how to tell Brian that his father was going to be at this dinner, that the dinner was his father's idea.  There had been no easy way to bring it up, so Justin had finally decided to let things take their course and deal with whatever happened.



"Did you know he was going to be here?"



"Yes.  The dinner was his idea."



"Why didn't you tell me that?"



"I thought you heard me talking to Mom about Dad when she called to invite us."



"I did, but I wasn't really paying attention and you merely said dinner at your Mom's."



"Please, Brian, he asked for this.  Come with me?"



Justin had beaten him to the punch.  He had been ready to tell Justin to go in and he would pick him up at ten.  Now he had to turn down Justin's worried face and his solemn request for Brian to accompany him.  He knew he couldn't do that. "If I go in there with you, don't expect me to play nice. I'm calling him on his shit if he starts in on you."



"Deal," said Justin.  He leaned over and kissed Brian on the cheek.  "I knew you'd protect me. That's why I want you there with me."



Brian groaned.  This family shit was for the birds.  There was something to be said for having no relationship with his mother and sister.  At least then he didn't have to pretend to enjoy their company or visit with them. He could be as rude and miserable with them as he wanted.



They got out of the car and went to the door.  Jennifer greeted them with a smile and ushered them up to the living room where Craig sat with Molly much as he had the other night.  Molly gave them a cheery hi and they responded in kind. Craig said, "Hello," in a rather formal manner and the two men nodded at his reserved greeting.  Jennifer asked her former husband to get drinks for everyone while she went to check on dinner. Molly helped her father get them each a beer and some grape juice for herself.  They sipped on their drinks, looking warily at each other.



"I understand you asked for this dinner," Justin finally said looking at his father.



"I thought we needed to re-establish communication.  You took off pretty quickly the other night."



"I guess we did.  I needed to think about what you said."



"You did believe that I want to have you back as my son, didn't you?"



"Frankly," Justin said, "when you didn't call for a couple of days I was beginning to wonder if you had changed your mind."



"I…I didn't quite know how to start over," Craig said brushing the hair back off his forehead and frowning.



"What's so hard?" Justin asked.  "You call me and we have lunch."



Craig looked startled.  "Is that all I had to do?"



"What did you think you were going to have to do, Dad?"



"I don't know … crawl, beg, grovel!"



"Why would you think that?  I want this as much as you do."



Father and son stared at each other assessing the truth of what they had said.  Brian sucked on his beer and bit his tongue to keep from making some snide remark about wanting a front row seat to the groveling and ruining everything for Justin.



"That's great, Justin.  I'll remember that. Maybe we can have lunch next week, just the two of us."



Brian noted that he had been carefully excised from the next meeting.  The groove in his tongue was getting deeper all the time.



"Sure, Dad," Justin said and smiled at his father, not making any acknowledgement of Brian either.



Just then Jennifer called them to the table.  They had a pleasant enough dinner. Jennifer was a good cook and she did her best to see that everybody had plenty to eat and drink.  Brian made sure to limit his glasses of wine or he was sure he would say something that would set Craig off. Molly told them about the play they were doing at her school and how she was going to try out for one of the parts.



By the time they moved back to the living room for coffee and dessert, everyone seemed to be getting along.  Brian made a mental note that he had not said more then two or three words, mainly yes or no to a few questions, and that seemed to suit everyone just fine.  He wondered what the fuck he was doing there.



"So, Brian," Jennifer said, "you've been very quiet tonight."



Brian groaned inwardly.  Why couldn't she leave well enough alone?  He merely nodded.



Justin looked at him.  "Are you tired?" he asked.  "We can go if you want."



Brian knew by Justin's tone that he would go if Brian indicated he had had enough, but he could tell that Justin was enjoying being with his complete family for the first time in a long time.  "I'm fine. We can stay as long as you want," he said calmly.



Justin beamed at him.  Craig saw the emotion that passed between them and gave Brian a quizzical look.  Brian wanted to ask him why the fuck he was surprised that he would stay for Justin.  Didn't he get that Brian loved his son?



"I'm surprised that you agreed to come here tonight, Brian," Craig said.



"Why's that?" Brian asked.



"Well, we haven't been on very friendly terms.  I wouldn't have thought you'd want to be in the same room with me for any length of time."



Brian was tempted to tell him he was absolutely right, but he chose his words carefully and said, "I'll do whatever it takes to make Justin happy and his life easier."



"That's very noble of you," Craig said and there was a sneer in his words.



"Dad, Brian meant what he just said," Justin interjected feeling the hostility growing between the two men.



Craig looked at the worried face of his son and was sorry for his tone.  "I believe you, Brian. I find it hard to get used to your relationship with my son, but he does seem happy and I can see that you are trying."



"I can see that you are trying too, Mr. Taylor," Brian replied in a level tone.



"Thanks," Craig said.



"I think maybe we better be going," Justin said standing up.  Brian immediately stood and thanked Jennifer for dinner, relieved to have this finally be over.



They got their coats and headed out, saying their goodbyes at the doorway.  When the door closed behind them, Justin heard Brian let out a long breath.



"Thank you," he said hooking his arm through Brian's as they walked over to the Jeep.



"For what?" Brian asked.



"For being on your best behavior.  I love you."



Brian shoved Justin against the Jeep and pressed his mouth and body against Justin until they were both aroused and breathless.



"Jesus, Brian, get us back to the loft.  We can't fuck in my mother's driveway!"



"Why not?" Brian asked looking back to the house and wondering if Craig Taylor was watching.  He hoped he was. He'd see two people in a passionate embrace.



"Please," Justin begged.



Brian released him and they got into the car.  "Your ass better be ready for a good workout when we get home," Brian declared.


 

"More than ready," Justin stated, his hand reaching for the front of Brian's pants.