- Text Size +

Chapter 6


Saturday morning Brian heard a knock on his hotel door. He almost dreaded the thought of who it could be.  He had drank himself to sleep and his head was killing him. “Who is it?”


Ted’s voice came through the closed door, “Brian, let me in.”


“Coming,” Brian moaned. He stumbled over and opened the door.  Ted came in with a cup of coffee and handed it to him. “Thanks,” he took the coffee. “I thought you would be on your way to the airport by now.”


“I am leaving in  a minute. I wanted to try to convince you to come with me. Tell Justin what is going on.  He will stand by you no matter what.”


“Who will save my company?  You and Cynthia would survive but most of the employees would be devastated. Not to mention the reputation of my children and nephews could be destroyed. I am not taking them down for my stupidity more  than 30 years ago.”


“Are you sure you have thought this all through?  You can afford to hire anyone. Brian, what you will do to your family…”


Brian walked over and opened the door to the hall, “Good-bye, Ted.  Remember, this is none of your fuckin’ business. Your business is keeping Kinnetik running smoothly.  I will be at the office later morning on Monday. I will spend the week in Pittsburgh, at the loft, and fly back there on the early afternoon flight on Friday. That’s the deal I made with him.  I am fairly certain I will be attending some big event with him next weekend. This weekend he said something about getting reacquainted.”


“Brian, don’t do this. Don’t….” Ted looked at him.  Brian squeezed his shoulder and directed him out into the hall without a word.


Brian shut the door, picked the bottle of  bourbon but it was empty. He called down to room service.  “I would like a bottle of Jim Beam, Devil’s Cut. Make that three bottles.  I will be staying indefinitely. If you don’t have it on hand right now send up a bottle of Jim Beam and get Devil’s Cut on hand.”


“Yes, Mr. Kinney.  I will have them send up what they have for today. If we need to special order it, I will send two bottles up when we get it.”


“If you want to order a case and charge it to my room, that would be fine, too.  Just get it up here as soon as you can.” And with that, he hung up the phone and finished the bottle he had in his hand. He laid back on the bed and wondered what Justin and Brinn were up to. He had gotten a text from Justin saying they were having a pool party to help them get through the weekend.  He wondered how many days this would last and once it was over would Justin take him back? All the terms would be spelled out tonight but he had no choice but to accept them.



Gus woke to lips on his cheek and Shelby placing his hand on one of her breasts.  He slid down and claimed it, taking the nipple lightly between his teeth. As he increased the pressure she cried out in pleasure as his tongue danced across the captured pebble.  She cried out in pleasure as his fingers worked their way deep into her. He brought his mouth back up to hers and moved his fingers back to her puckered bud as he slipped his throbbing cock into her as gently forced his finger in at the same time.  As he moved his finger and dick in and out at the same pace she screamed as she came over and over. He plunged in once more and shuttered. “Shelby, I….I…..when do you want to head to Pittsburgh? I should be done with my class by the end of the week. Shall we plan on a week from today and until then….” He pulled her close.  “Let’s take a little nap.”



Justin and Brinn had gone to the grocery store and bought hot dogs and hamburgers, chips, condiments, and sodas for the party.  Claire had volunteered to bring cookies for dessert and Justin brought out several bottles of their wine with the new Taylor-Kinney label to drink and send home with friends and family. At the last minute he had invited Emmett and Drew as well as Michael, Ben, and JR.  He ran that past Becca and Peter before offering the invitation. Becca said she would love to see JR and was always willing to let her see the twins as long as it was a planned visitation.


Brinn came up to Justin, “Daddy, can we call Dad?  I miss him so much.”


“That sounds like a great idea, Brinny.”  He pulled out his phone but after several rings he got Brian’s voice message.


Brinn took the phone from Justin’s hand. “Dad, this is your daughter, Brinn.  I need to talk to you. I miss you very much. I love you.” Her voice started strong but now it turned very sad. “I miss you so much, Dad.” and she handed back the phone.


Justin looked at her sad face and kissed her forehead.  “How about we call your brother? I bet he misses you.”


“Can we, Daddy?  I miss Gussy, too.”



Gus’ phone buzzed and he slipped out of bed taking his phone with him.  He stepped out onto the attached patio. “Hello,” he said quietly.

“I miss you, Gussy?”


“Oh, Brinny, it is good to hear your voice.  I miss you, too, Miss Thing. Shelby and I were talking about you a little bit ago.  We hope to be there next Saturday.”


“I’m glad, Gussy.  Without Dad here, I know Daddy is lonely.  It would help if you were here.”


“Let me talk to Dad.  I will see you next week.  I love you, Brinny.”


“Oh, I love you, too, Gussy.  Here’s Daddy.”


Justin took the phone from Brinn. “So how was your evening?”


“Oh, Dad, it was so amazing. I…..Dad, I am in love with her. I feel more for her than I ever did for Jamie, and I loved him but this is different.  I can picture us together with kids in twenty years. With Jamie, I saw us on the road and maybe famous but other than great sex and caring about him….I don’t know…”


“I understand, Gus”


“So what is up with Pops? And don’t tell me nothing.  I could hear it in your voice earlier already.”


“Brinn, why don’t you go change clothes for the party.  Put on your new swimsuit with the matching dress.” There was a pause and then he was back.  “Sorry, I didn’t want Brinn to hear this. I am a bit worried, no, I am worried as hell that he is sick again.  He couldn’t come home this weekend. There was something about his voice.”


“I’ll try him in a little while and see if he will tell me anything.”


“Gus, he hasn’t even taken my calls today.”


“Oh, Dad….”  He paused, not liking this, “I love you, Dad. I will let you  know if I find out anything. We will be there a week from today.  Is it Ok if I get us first class tickets?”


“Of course you can.  Do you want me to send the jet?”


“No, Dad, we can fly commercial.  Love you, see you next week.”


“Gus?”


“Yes, Dad?”


“I am so glad to hear you are so happy. Bye, Gussy.”  And the line went dead.


Gus tried Brian but of course, he didn’t answer.


Gus walked quietly through the bedroom to the kitchen.  He made some sandwiches and got some fruit. He grabbed a couple bottles of water, put everything on a tray,  and went back into the bedroom. As he opened the door, Shelby stirred and sat up, pulling the sheet up with her.
“I kind of liked the view before.”  Gus smiled and sat on the edge of the bed. He kissed her, careful not to spill the tray. He set the tray on the other side of Shelby and picked up an apple.  He took a bite and passed it over to Shelby. She took a bite and passed it back. He opened a bottle of water for her and passed it over, then opened one for himself. “Sorry, it is nothing special but I have some ham and cheese sandwiches, too.”

Shelby reached over and picked up a sandwich and passed it to Gus, “Thanks, Gussy. I am really hungry. What an amazing way to work up an appetite.”  She leaned over and kissed him. “Did I dream it or were you talking to someone on the patio earlier?”


“I talked to my dad and Brinn.  Pops is up to something and everyone is worried and he isn’t answering our calls.”


“Do you think we could go earlier than next weekend?  It sounds like your family could use you for support.”


Gus buried his face in her neck and kissed it.  “I love you, Shelly, I hope you know that because of just that.”


“I do know you love me, Gus.  I keep hoping someday you will be in love with me. But I will take you anyway I can get you.”


They had both finished their sandwich and between them they had eaten an apple and a banana. Gus moved the tray off the bed and then his head went under the sheet and the next thing Shelby felt was his tongue and she was nearly instantly brought to the edge again. As he began  to blow every so softly on her clit she began to shiver. “You are the most amazing lover…”as he took her clit between his lips she cried out and as his tongue touched it she screamed, as she lost total control of her body.


Justin and Brinn greeted their guests as they began to arrive. Tony and John were the first to arrive with Mattie, Jonna, and Claire.  Justin took Jonna while Brinn led Mattie away. Tony and John were thrilled to have a day off together. Those came few and far between running a busy inn although they had hired an assistant manager and a new business manager who were both excellent employees.  Tony and John soon found a lounge in a private area and were in each other’s arms. Tony’s hand drifted into John’s trunks and his mouth claimed John’s. “When is the last time, gorgeous, you and I have had sex, out in the open?”

John gasped at the feeling of Tony’s finger began to tease John’s ass.  Tony could feel the reaction he had on his husband, instantly. He noticed a beach towel on the table next to them and quickly covered them with it. John slid his shorts down and offered Tony his back.  Tony worked his shorts down, found John’s bud and slowly entered him. John reached back and grabbed Tony’s hips. “I love you, Mi Amore. It has been far too long since we have had a little….”


“God, Tony, there is absolutely nothing little…” he turned his head so Tony’s lips could link with his so their cries of pleasures could be silenced.  They laid side by side, holding each other as they dozed off.


When they woke up again the party was in full swing.  The only ones yet to arrive were Blake and the boys. “Hey, guys,” Justin said as the boys came around the side of the house.  “Is your dad right behind you?”


“They both are,” said the oldest as they entered the pool.” By now, John and Tony were in the water with the kids and Peter and Becca were under an umbrella with Grandma Claire holding her namesake while Becca had Clay.


Justin was sure he had misunderstood but then Ted rounded the corner of the house with an arm around Blake.  Justin’s mouth dropped open and then his body was covered with goosebumps. He knew something was up with Brian and Ted being here reinforced his suspicion.    Justin had every intention of cornering Ted at some point but he let them get comfortable before he cornered him.


Ted did his best to stay away from Justin.  He didn’t know what to say to him. He couldn’t tell him the truth, well maybe he could.  He didn’t know what Brian was up to this weekend. Brian could be such an idiot. Justin would do anything for Brian and yet he was ready to throw it away over something that happened more than 30 years ago.  He was so into his own thoughts he didn’t notice Blake go to help one of the boys and Justin moved in.


“I didn’t expect you to be here.  I thought you were stuck in New York.  When did you get back?”

Justin looked at Ted directly to see if he could read his expression.


“Um, I just got back in time to come along.” Ted was avoiding eye contact.


“Ted, what is going on? Brian won’t answer his phone and I swear he was drunk when I talked to him early this morning. What is he doing?”


“Justin, I really don’t know.”


“Ted, is he sick again?  Is he at John Hopkins again?”


“Justin, he has not told me he’s sick.”

“Then why won’t he answer his phone.  Give me your phone. Come on, Ted. Let me call him on your phone.”


Ted handed his phone to Justin and walked away.  It was one way to stop the conversation with Justin. Justin deserved to talk to him. He deserved answers.”


Justin pressed Brian’s name on Ted’s phone.  “What is it, Ted?” Brian’s voice was slurred.


“Baby, it’s me.  You won’t answer my calls. What is going on?  Why is Ted here while you are still there.”


“God, how am I supposed to answer you when you won’t stop talking?”


“Brian, I’m worried about you. Baby, what kept you in the city?  Brinn is missing you horribly and I can’t sleep without you.”


“Justin, I am going to have to spend some time here.  There is some business that doesn’t include Ted.”


“What is it, Brian?”


“Frankly, Justin, it doesn’t include you either.  I have to go. I have a meeting in a little while.”


“Brian, anything you….”


The phone went dead and Justin let the phone drop.


John had been watching Justin from a distance.  He handed Jonna over to Tony and walking up to Justin, he put his arm around Justin’s waist and guided him into the house.  Once they were inside Justin wrapped his arms around John’s neck and put his head on his chest. John’s arms went around him and hugged him for a couple of minutes.  John took a step back and looked into Justin’s concerned face. “Why do I think Uncle Brian’s to blame for that look on your face?”


“John, I think he is sick again.  He won’t tell me why he had to stay there and he just told me he will be spending more time there that doesn’t include Ted. Anything connected with business includes Ted. John, I am scared. He almost died eight years ago. I know I could face it but Brinn.  It would tear her apart. It would tear all of us apart. God, John! What am I going to do?”


“Don’t jump to conclusions.  Maybe he will come back on Monday and tell you it was all a surprise.  You can talk to him then.”


“You’re right.  I will try to calm down.  Maybe it is a surprise for the family or something.  Thanks, John. I feel a little better now although I would feel better if he would answer my calls.  But, I have guests. I better get out there.” He kissed John’s cheek and went out the door.

When they walked out JR  was holding Clay and Michael had Claire.  This made Justin smile. See the party was helping take his mind off of everything and Brinn  was having a great time with all her friends. Justin started the grill and Emmett and Drew volunteered to take over the meat while Justin got the rest of the food together.  As parents got kids ready to eat adults had some wine. Justin made sure everyone went home with a bottle or two of Taylor-Kinney wine and as everyone headed home Justin and Brinn were left alone.  Brinn went to her room to take a shower while Justin straightened up the kitchen and then he went up to read her a story even though she could probably read better than he could.


Justin found Brinn with her head resting on her knees with her arms wrapped around them.  Justin sat down next to her and put his arms around her. “What is it, Sweetie?”


“I miss my dad.  When is he coming back?” She looked up with tears running down her cheeks.  She wrapped her arms around Justin’s neck.


Justin pulled her onto his lap and held her close.  “Hopefully, he will be home on Monday. I am sure your dad is missing you, too, Brinny. I at least have you to keep me company. Your poor dad is all by himself.”  Justin and Brinn read a book together and Justin laid with her until she was asleep. He then went to his own bed. John had helped him feel a little better but he still felt something wasn’t quite right.



Damn, Justin!  Why did he have to trick him into answering the phone.  He had been drinking all day just to get up the courage to talk with Keegan tonight and stomach what he would have to do to get through this.


He had finished the first bottle of Jim Beam room service had brought up this morning and then this afternoon they had brought up a case of the special order he had put in for Devil’s Cut.

At one point  throughout the day Brian had decided that he was going to reason with Keegan McCarty. He would do whatever it took to get this done as fast as possible and then hopefully salvage his marriage and family.


The knock on the door pulled Brian back to reality.  Brian had cleaned himself up a little bit but he knew he didn’t look good.  His hair was messy and his voice was husky from far too many cigarettes today. He tucked his shirt in and ran his hands through his hair and opened the door to his suite. Keegan walked in looking fresh and handsome.  His dark hair was peppered with gray and he reached for Brian and kissed him firmly on the lips. Brian stepped back quickly.


“Now, Brian, I know this is an act we are putting together but when I kiss you in public that can’t be your reaction.  So now let’s try it again with the appropriate response for two men in love. Keegan’s hand went behind Brian’s head and this time his tongue intruded Brian’s mouth but Brian made his best effort not to pull away. He closed his eyes and tried to picture Justin kissing him.  For a moment his alcohol fogged mind let him forget and he pulled Keegan close but as Keegan began to undo Brian’s fly Brian came back to the present and stepped away from Keegan.


“That should convince anyone.” Brian said in a monotone voice.


Keegan rubbed his crotch.  “You convinced my pecker. You wouldn’t want to give me some relief now, would you?”


“I told you, McCarty, out in public I will go along with what is needed but in private ….now what are the terms to this farce?”


“You will be my companion to all my engagements until I can land the position.  I am hoping by then you will realize what we could do for each other. You gave me a little preview of what I am sure could be amazing.  You don’t have to worry. I prefer to bottom.”


“That isn’t happening.  So once you have this new venture off the ground we will go our own separate ways.”


“Once I have $1 M in contracts I will give you the DNA test results.”  


Brian poured each of them a drink and handed it to him.  “I will play your game and I will do whatever I can to help you get your business up and running and of course I will do the advertising because that will get the business running quicker.”


Keegan moved closer to Brian on the couch.  He could see how drunk Brian was and poured him another two fingers which Brian downed.  Keegan’s hand went to Brian’s crotch and he began to rub Brian’s crotch, feeling his dick harden.  “Next weekend,” Brian’s speech was slurred, what are we doing?”


“I have events on Friday and Saturday.  You can head back to Pittsburgh on Sunday.  Tomorrow night you and I will go to dinner. I will text you the time.” Keegan began to undo Brian’s fly and moved to kiss Brian again while his hand gained entrance.


Brian jumped up and had to grasp the back of a chair to stabilize his now swimming head.  “I think it is time for you to go. I need to….pass out.”


Keegan stood next to him for a moment and brushed his lips on Brian’s.  “I will see you tomorrow night.” And Keegan McCarty left for the night.

Justin and Brian laid in separate beds  in separated cities unable but to think of each other.



Brian drank his Sunday away but was ready when Keegan called him to come to the lobby.  Brian played the role perfectly. He accepted Keegan’s gentle touches and shows of affection like a true lover and from time to time made one of the gestures to make it look real. As Keegan walked Brian up to his suite he said, “That worked out very well.  Thank you for the effort. Now we could make it a perfect night if you would just invite me.” Keegan stepped closer but Brian already had the key in the door.


“There is no one to see us here.” Brian said, avoiding the hand that Keegan wanted to put on the back of his neck.  “Keegan, you actually seem like a nice guy except for the blackmailing me part. You are ruining my life and my family.  How could you expect me to…”


“The Brian Kinney I remember could care less about anyone except himself.”


“That was before I realized I was part of someone else.  And it is because of him I am going along with this. Goodnight, Keegan.” Brian slipped in the door and shut it as fast as he could. He dropped onto the bed and  pulled out his phone. He pulled up the photo gallery and as he scrolled to the pictures of his family, he cried softly. He made sure his bag was packed and his alarm was set and he drifted off into a restless sleep.



Justin woke up and found Brinn snuggled up against him.  He wrapped his arms around her. What was Brian up to? He was going to talk to him today at the office as soon as he knew he was there.  He deserved answers. He was not going to let Brian go through an illness alone again and if it wasn’t that, he needed to know what it was.


Justin kissed Brinn on the top of her head and she tilted her head back and kissed him.  “I figured you were lonely. I know I miss Dad and I don’t make love with him, obviously.  So I knew you had to really miss him.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and dropped kisses all over her Daddy’s face.


“Thank you, Sweetheart.  I do miss him of course. I think we should get ready for the day and go to the inn for breakfast.  What do you think?”


“Can we?”  Brinn got excited.

“I need to run into the city today for work so you can stay with Tony and John while I am there.  Your aunt Claire said that would be fine. I asked her yesterday at the pool party. Let’s be ready in an hour?”


“Ok, Daddy.  Daddy, I love you so much!”


“I love you, too, Brinny.  You are my little girl. You are part of me.  I will always be here for you.”


“I know that, Daddy. I can always count on you.”



By 8:30 Justin and Brinn were sitting at a table at the inn. Brinn was sipping on a cup of tea trying to be very grown up while Justin drank his second cup of coffee. John brought their breakfast plates out to them.  He set them down and, nodding to a chair he said, “Do you mind if I join you, Miss Thing?”


“Of course not, My John.  You are always welcome.” Brinn batted her eyes at John and his heart melted.


“I hear you are going to stay with me for a while today.  I was very excited to hear it. I miss you now that you live in California part of the time.”  He reached over and picked up a piece of toast from Brinn’s plate and took a bite. “You weren’t going to eat this, were you?”


“No, you can have it.  I am getting full from my pancakes.”


“I figured you would.”  John glanced at Justin and could see the worry on his face.  John could tell Brinn was finishing up. “If you are done why don’t you go see if my mom needs help with baking cookies.”


“Can I, Daddy?”


“As long as you give me a kiss before you go because I will be going into the city soon.”


Brinn ran around to the table and flung her arms around his neck.  “Bye, Daddy. Love you!” She kissed him and then said, “Are you going to see Dad?”  


“I hope to, Sweetie.” He kissed her, “Love you,” And she scampered off.


Tony walked past the table and bent to kiss John and began to stand up but John pulled him back down for another longer one.  “Mi Amore, you are a terrible distraction.”


“I think right now you two are distracting some of your guests too.”  Justin chuckled as the few others eating a late breakfast had begun watching them. “Guys, I haven’t seen my husband in days.  Do you mind?”


Tony stood up and turned and smiled at Justin.  He kissed him on the cheek. “I hope all goes well with your visit today.  Let us know if we can do anything. Brinn can sleep here if you need some alone time.”


Justin stood and hugged Tony.  “Thank you. I better get going.  I want to be waiting for Brian when he gets to his office.”


John stood and hugged Justin.  “Don’t jump to conclusions, Justin, and don’t worry about Brinn.”


“I never worry about Brinn if you are with her. Thanks again.” and Justin left.  



Justin arrived at Kinnetik but parked down the street so Brian wouldn’t see his car. He walked in and walked up behind Cynthia.  She turned and jumped. “Oh, Justin, I didn’t hear you!”


He kissed her cheek.  “When does he get in?”


“He should be here in the next ten minutes. He told me not to let you in  but I told him I wouldn’t do that.”


“Cynthia, do you know what is going on?”


“No, Justin, I don’t.  I think Ted knows a little bit but not everything.”


“Unlock the door for me?”


“Sure, you are still the majority stockholder of Kinnetik. And I would never go against my official boss.” Cynthia kissed Justin, “Don’t let that jackass of a husband of yours get by with whatever he is trying to pull.”


Cynthia unlocked Brian’s door and went back to her desk.  Fifteen minutes later Brian walked in. He stopped by her desk and extended his hand without saying a word.  As he walked closer to his office he noticed the lights were on. “Cynthia,” he bellowed and then grabbed his own head. Softer he said, “Who is in my office?”


“Our majority stockholder.”


“Damn it, Cyn, I told you….” Brian stalked to the door and entered.


Justin was dozing on the sofa.  Brian’s heart skipped a beat when he saw his Sunshine. He took a deep breath and slammed the door.


Justin jumped and sat up when he saw Brian standing there. “Hey Baby,” he stood to great Brian.  He reached up and put his arms around Brian’s neck, pressing his body against Brian’s. “It is so good to see you.” Justin kissed him.  For a split second Brian held him close and then he put his hands on Justin’s hips and moved him away.

“I didn’t expect you,” Brian said coldly.


“Brian, I am your husband.  I love you and you are hiding something.” Justin laid his hand on Brian’s shoulder, “Are you sick again? Is the cancer back?”


Brian spun to look at him, “Oh, no, Sunshine, I am fine.” He laid a gentle hand on Justin’s stricken face. “I am not having health problems.  The cancer isn’t back.” Brian watched Justin’s shoulders relax but as Justin stepped toward him, Brian stepped back. “Sit down, Justin. I wasn’t going to do this here but you give me no choice.”


Justin sat and reached for Brian’s hand but Brian kept his distance. “Justin, I need a break.   I just can’t be a husband right now. I need to be free. I need to have time for me. I am going to be in New York most of the time.  I might be here a day a week or so but ….I have work to do so can you just leave now?”


Justin sat there with his mouth hanging open.  “Brian...What the hell are you talking about? You are my husband.  I love you. We have children. I…”


“I just need a break from it.  I just can’t do it anymore.”


“So what the hell am I supposed to tell Brinn?  Our daughter has been asking for you for days.”


Brian had to turn his back at that moment so Justin didn’t see the pain his words caused.


“Just go Justin.  Can you send some of my clothes here by tomorrow?  That way I can head back to New York with some of my clothes.  I will have lots of social events to attend.”


“If I have time to spend with Brinn, I’ll text.” With that Brian nodded and went deeper into his office, being dismissed like an intern.


Justin stumbled out of the office and was almost to the door when there was a hand on his shoulder. He turned and saw Ted.  “If you can’t tell me what is really going on, I don’t want to talk to you.”


“Justin, come into my office. It looks like you could use some coffee.”


“No, what I could use is the truth.  What in the hell is he up to, Ted?” Justin looked at him and after Ted just shrugged Justin left the office.



Justin didn’t have any memory of getting to the SUV and starting it.  He was out of the city by the time he could focus again and going far to fast.  Things were flying around his mind. He was fairly sure Brian was recovering from a hangover but could that be because he had gotten bad news about being sick? Justin’s mind was so distracted, it was too late when he saw the deer in front of him. He had just stepped on the breaks at impact.


“Sir? Sir, are you alright?”  Justin tried to move. “No, sir, don’t move.  There is an ambulance on the way. You hit a deer. Just stay where you are. Can we call someone for you?” The stranger at the window asked.


Justin found his cell phone still plugged in.  He handed it to the stranger. “John, call John.” Justin closed his eyes.


When Justin came to again a young man was checking his pupils. “Justin, is that your name? Justin Taylor-Kinney?”


“Yes,” Justin’s voice was weak.


“Let’s get you out of here and onto a stretcher so we can check you out.”


“John, did someone call John?”


“Yes, he is going to meet us at the hospital,” the paramedic said.


“Don’t need the hospital.”


“Mr. Taylor-Kinney, we need to take you in.  You have a not on your head. Nothing else seems to be broken but you might have cracked ribs or at least bruised badly.”


Justin had no fight in him.  He shut his eyes and felt the stretcher being slid on the ambulance.


He was in the emergency room and a worried John was standing in his line of vision.


“Justin, how are you feeling now?” a nurse asked.


“I just have a headache,” Justin tried sitting up and groaned, “And sore ribs.”


“We put an IV in and have given you a little something for the pain.  If nothing shows up on the tests you should be able to go home in an hour or so.” As she walked out, John came over and took Justin’s hand.


“Brinn, where is Brinn?”  Justin asked John.


“She is fine.  She is with Claire and my kids.  Justin, I haven’t called Brian, yet.  Do you want me to call him?”


John saw Justin’s eyes fill with tears, “No, he is tired of being married.  He needs his space.”


“Justin, Brian would want to know.  He loves you. He will want to be there for Brinn.”


“No, John. Don’t.”  Justin started to get a panicked look.


“Ok, Justin, I won’t.  When we can leave you are coming back to the inn with me.  We have an empty room and you can stay there as long as you need.  Brinn can stay with you or with us in the apartment for the next couple days, until you feel better.”


“Thanks, John.  And thanks for being here.”



Two hours later Justin was in a bed at the inn.  John sat on the edge with a tray of soup and crackers and a couple bottles of water. “Thanks, John.  Where is Brinn?”


“She is with Matti.  After you eat, I will bring her up for a little while.  Then you need to sleep. There was no concussion so sleeping is best for you.”


“The SUV?”


“Probably totalled. You were very lucky you know.  You could have been killed.”


“Are you sure I shouldn’t call Brian?”


“No, John. I mean it. Don’t tell him.  Do you have my phone?”


“I just plugged in for you,” He handed the phone to Justin.


“I will eat and then I am going to call Gus.”


“I can do that for you,” John volunteered.


“He will want to talk to me to make sure I am alright so I might as well just make the call.”  John gently brushed Justin’s hair back and kissed the bruise on his forehead. “I love you, Justin.  You scared the hell out of me this afternoon.” He kissed Justin once more, this time on his lips, and left the room.


Justin ate the soup and crackers John had for him and then he called Gus. “Hey, Dad!  I didn’t expect to hear from you. Did you talk to Pops today?”


“Hey, Gus,” Justin’s voice was weak.


“Dad, what is it?  What’s happened?” Gus was instantly worried.


“Gus, now, don’t worry.  I’ll be fine but I hit a deer this afternoon and totalled the SUV.”


“Oh, god, Dad are you sure you are alright?  Is Pops at the house with you? Is he taking care of you?


“I am at the inn.  John and Tony are taking care of me and Brinn.  Brian no longer wants to be married and he didn’t say it but I get the feeling he doesn’t want to be part of a family right now.  We will stay here until I feel back to normal. I was already thinking I might see if JR wants a summer job to be a companion for Brinn.  That way I know she will covered like when we hired Becca to take care of you.”


“What the hell! Dad, could he be sick again? I don’t remember a lot about that time but…”


“I asked him and he said that wasn’t it.  I tend to believe him. He actually looked concerned I would think that. Of course, he could just be bullshitting me.  I usually can read…”


“You can always tell he’s lying to you. Dad, we were going to be there next weekend but I think we can leave Wednesday now.  Then Shelby and I will be there for you and Brinn and I will try to figure out what Pops is up to.”


“I doubt he will be in town.  He is planning to live in New York  most of the time now.”


“Pop doesn’t like living there. What the hell? If I have to I will track him there.”


“Gus, I need to sleep. Let me or John know your schedule.  And Gus, I love you and I love Shelby, too. I can’t wait to see you.”



Gus said goodbye to his dad and then called his Pops.  Brian’s harried voice answered, “Gus, so I am guessing your dad called you.”  


“Yes, what the hell are you up to, Pops? And not that it sounds like you care but Dad totalled the SUV today and you are the last person he wants to know that.I will...”  


“Wait! Justin was in an accident.  Is he Ok? Is he in the hospital? Is he hurt?”

“He’ll be fine.  He is with John and Tony. I will be in Pittsburgh on Wednesday and you better have some answers for me unless you have something to tell me now. I mean if you don’t want a family anymore maybe you don’t have a son anymore.”


“Oh, Gus…..” Gus was sure he heard pain in Brian’s voice but then it changed its tone, “I will probably be in New York by Wednesday.”

“Whether you want to call me Son anymore or not, you are going to have to answer me someday, Brian,” Gus said his name with a sneer in his voice. “You are going to have to prove you don’t love us anymore because we don’t believe you……”  Gus hung up.


Shelby had walked in during the conversation and as Gus threw his phone across the room she pulled him into her arms.  She didn’t know the whole story but she knew he was hurting and that’s all that mattered. Gus turned into her hold and dropped his head against her. “We need to go as soon as we can.  Dad was in an accident and Pops is an asshole.”


“Gus, Brian is a great father.”


“Brian’s a great father when it is convenient for Brian.” Gus said louder than he meant to.  “I’m sorry, Shelly, I shouldn’t take this out on you.” He brushed his lips against hers. “ I want to go email my prof and see if I can turn my project in tomorrow so we can fly out Wednesday or even tomorrow.”


“Is Justin hurt badly?”


“Not from the accident although I bet he will be hurting more tomorrow.  He hit a deer. I wouldn’t doubt that was partly Brian’s fault, too, although Dad would never say that.  He never talks bad about him to me.” He turned and kissed Shelby deeply. “I need you, Shelby. When I get my school stuff taken care….”

“I will be right here, Gussy.” She brushed his hair back.  “If you let me I will always be here for you.” She looked into his eyes and can feel his pain.  She kissed him gently. “Go get ahold of your advisor.”


Twenty minutes later Gus found Shelby lying on the bed, naked.  He slowly undressed looking at the beautiful woman waiting for him. He approached the end of the bed and as he placed his knee on the foot end of the bed.  Shelby bent her knees and spread them enough for Gus to fit between her legs. He came up and laid his head on her stomach and rested a hand on her thigh. She could feel his confusion and just offered herself to him.  She rested a hand on his head and stroked his hair. Gus soaked up her warm and the silence of knowing she was there for him. After a few minutes he moved his hand off her thigh and, shifting himself, brought it up to her center. He began to trail his finger around her inner and outer lips.  He would brush her clit from time to time but focused on the circular motion. It was almost as if he forgot what he was doing. Shelby’s whole body was shivering.


“Gussy, hey stud...if you keep doing that….OH GOD…..”  


“Oops.” Gus smiled up at her and then lowered himself and brought his mouth to her.  His tongue began to lap into her core. He brought her to orgasm after orgasm.


Eventually, Shelby screamed, “I give, I give.  Please,” Gus’ tongue continued until she entwined her fingers in his hair and pulled it until he had to move up.  Her whole body was on edge in the best way possible. When he got to her breasts he stopped again and just the feel of his fingers on them squeezing hard enough for the pain and the pleasure.  She was now bucking off the bed. She wasn’t sure she would be able to stand anymore contact but as Gus plunged into her, she found a new level she didn’t know she had. With tears streaming down her face her body went completely still and Gus emptied himself into her. Her arms slowly came around him and as she brought his mouth down to hers, she  wrapped her legs around his waist holding him where he was. “I think I would die of loneliness if you left me right now.”


“Now, I am not going anywhere.” Gus rolled, taking her with him.  He wrapped his arms around her and pressed her tightly to his chest. 30 minutes later they lay side by side and this time it was Shelby’s hand that was busy. Gus moaned as Shelby’’s hand slipped between his legs. Her finger invaded him and she began to concentrate on slow even strokes. She moved down his body she claimed him with her mouth.  She feasted on him until he could no longer hold back. With a cry, he lost complete control. She licked lazily until he couldn’t handle it anymore and he pulled her back up by her ponytail.


“I think we have both had enough stimulation for a while.” Gus kissed her and firmly pushed her away.  “I don’t think I could take anymore distractions. Thank you, Shelly. I...don’t know what I would have done without you.”


They walked to the bathroom together.  Gus turned on the shower while Shelby took her hair out of the ponytail.  As she started brushing it, Gus took the brush from her and ran the brush through with long steady strokes.


Shelby purred as Gus’ fingers slipped through the silky strands. Gus laid the brush down and took her hand. They entered the shower and both turned their face up to the stream.  As they let the water run over their bodies, Shelby asked, “I never asked if you got ahold of your advisor.”


“I did. He said I could go as long as I got the project to him tomorrow.  If I can keep my hands off,” he pulled her to him, “your beautiful body long enough, I will call the airline when we are done in here and then we better pack.”


“How long are we staying?”


“Shelby, take what you want and if we need to shop for more, we can when we get out there.  I can’t wait to show you around, for you to meet some of my friends, and JR will be glad to see you.”


Shelby heard his words but could tell he was very distracted. “Gus, we will get everything worked out.  I can help with Brinn and you can help Justin with Brian.” They got out of the shower and got dressed as they talked.


“Shelby, there is a lot about Brian you don’t know.  Thank you for being here today. I need to go make sure my project is ready to turn in.  Would you mind calling and getting tickets for tomorrow afternoon?” He grabbed his wallet and gave her a credit card. “Make them first class if there is room.” He kissed her nose and left.



John found Brinn in the play room with Matti. He hadn’t told Brinn about Justin’s accident and hadn’t even told her he was at the Inn. As soon as she saw him Brinn said, “My John,” she walked over to him and looked up into his eyes.  “My daddy should have been home a long time ago.”


Matti ran over to his dad for a hug.  “Matti, I think Grandma has some cookies downstairs waiting for you.  Why don’t you go get a snack.”


When Matti was out the room, Brinn’s worried face looked up at John.  “What’s wrong, My John? Is my daddy and Dad alright? Daddy lied to me this morning.  I knew he did but that’s Ok. I’m not an adult yet but what happened?” Brinn was almost in tears by now.  John sat down and took Brinn in his arms. “Miss Thing, your daddy is fine but he had a car accident. He is actually upstairs here at the inn.”


“Oh, no!” Brinn cried.  “I need to go see him. I need to see him now.”  


“Ok, Sweetie, let’s go up so you can see he is just fine but he might be a little sore and he has a few bruises so hug him gently.”



Justin woke up to a soft tap on the door. The nob turned and John opened the door but Brinn walked in. John started coming in but Justin nodded at him so he stepped back out, shutting the door behind Brinn.


Very carefully, Brinn climbed on the bed and scooted close to Justin.  “Daddy, this isn’t hurting you, is it?”


“Of course not, Sweetheart.  Come give your daddy a soft hug.”


Brinn fell into his arms.  “Oh, Daddy, My John just told me what happened.  I was so scared. And where is Dad. I know you went to see him.”


“Well, your Dad has some work things to deal with.  He won’t be around as much for a while. But, Gus and Shelby are going to be here by the end of the week.”


“Do you think I can talk to him?  I miss him.”


“I think calling him is a great idea.”


Brinn picked up Justin’s phone and called her dad.  Brian saw the incoming call from Justin. He wasn’t sure if he should answer it but what if he really had gotten hurt….”Hello?”


“Hi, Dad.  I miss you so much.”


“Oh, Brinny,”  Brian’s heart shattered in a hundred pieces.  “Is your daddy with you?”


“Yes, Daddy just woke up from a nap.  Dad, he needs you here. You and Daddy have been apart too many nights already.”


“Well, Sweetie, it might be…”


“Daddy told me you were busy right now,” her voice filled with sadness. “But, Dad, we need you.  I miss you…”


“Brinny, I need to go.  I have a business call coming in.  I will talk to you soon.” The line went dead.


Justin collected his daughter in his arms as the tears ran down both their faces.



Brian had lied to Brinn.  He was at the loft with a bottle in his hand.  He gave up on using a glass. He was pacing the room when his phone rang again.  He didn’t want to answer it but if Keegan called he needed to be available. “Oh, shit!”  it was John calling this time.


“Damn it, John!  Why can’t my family give me space?”


“Give you space? I am just doing what you taught me.  I am protecting the family.”


“Well, just take me out of that grouping for now.”


“Uncle Brian, you are the family.  Without you this family wouldn’t exist. Now, what the hell is going on?”


The line went silent for a moment and John was sure he heard liquid.  Most likely he was drinking Jim Beam, and if he was it just told him this was bad. “Brian, what is it?  We can help with whatever it is?”


“Have you ever thought that I am just tired of all of you!  Seriously, there is always someone around. I never have time to myself.  If it isn’t Sunshine and Brinn, it is you and your family leaching off of me.  Just leave me alone, John!” John heard the bottle at his mouth as the phone went dead.  


Tony walked into their bedroom to find John sitting on the bed.  Knowing the kids were with Claire, he shut the door and sat down next to his husband.  John turned into him and Tony pulled him close. “Mi Amore, what has gotten you so upset?”


“Uncle Brian can be so cruel.  He said we were leaching off of him.  We aren’t doing that are we? Ya, he got us started here but we have run this place.  We have made it a success. We haven’t asked him for another penny.”


“Oh, John,” Tony’s voice was soft and kissed his husband, “That is Brian’s way of dealing with his demons.  We don’t know what his problem is because he hasn’t broken yet. He will share and then we will all deal with the problem. If he actually feels that way, we can afford to buy him out now.”  His lips found John’s as his arm guiding him onto his back and he began to unbuckle John’s pants. When he could get his hand that wasn’t enough. He separated from John for a moment and pulled John’s pants and briefs down, letting them drop to the floor. He quickly undid his own fly and dropped his pants. He went back to John’s lips and his hand took his cock in his hand gently running his thumb over the tip. Tony felt a drop of moisture and brought his finger up to John's lips.  Rubbing his thumb over them he then licked it off with his tongue. John shivered at the exchange.


"What do you need, Mi Amore? I am yours.  Use me or let me use you. I want to bring you the pleasure you so deserve."


"I need to feel you. Let me feel you." John's hand traveled down Tony's body.  He started unbuttoning the dress shirt he still wore. John needed to feel that hard warm body. He loved this man so much.  There is no way Brian just stopped loving Justin. John felt an urgency. He ripped off the last button and then his mouth was everywhere.  He traced the lines of Tony's abs. He sucked on his nipples and when his tongue dipped into his navel it was Tony's turn to shiver. When John's mouth reached his throbbing penis, he cried out as John explored the opening on the top with his tongue.


When Tony could not take it any longer he guided John starting by taking off his shirt. Looking in John's face he still saw the pain Brian's words had caused. It was his turn to cause a painful pleasure that would take John's mind off of everything but what he was doing to him.  Tony positioned John so his head and shoulders were near the headboard of the bed, supporting his body. He grabbed something that John didn't see but he was sure it was one of their toys. Without warning he plunged a well lubed butt plug in and made sure it wouldn't come out until he wanted it to.  He knew John was uncomfortable right now. John still gave more than received but they did change around from time to time and tonight Tony was going to give John everything he could. Tony slid his head between John's knees and put his hands on John's hips. He pulled them down slightly and after positioning his head just right he took John in his mouth. At the same time he pressed a button on a remote control and the vibration filled John's ass, nearly making him cum instantly.  Tony pressed the remote again and it turned off. It would now come on and off in intervals with varying strength. He hoped he could keep John concentrating so hard not to come that he would forget the words Brian so carelessly, or maybe carefully, spewed. Tony's tongue and mouth did everything they could to drive John to the brink and then back off. With John being filled as he was and with Tony's glorious torture he soon couldn't think about anything about what his body was feeling and then, when he couldn't control himself any longer, Tony began to suckle him, while his hand wrapped around his balls. John cried out. He spasmed over and over and Tony did not let up with his mouth.  Eventually, Tony slowed down and then reached between John's legs and pulled out the vibrator. He slid further under John causing him to lift his chest so he was laying on Tony.


"Oh, Darling," John began, "That was amazing but now I want you deep inside me.  I fit you much better than that thing does." John got up on his knees and lowered himself on Tony's dick.  As he moved up and down he watched Tony's face go from desire, to pleasure, to restraint, to complete lack of control.  He pulled John down as he drove into him, over and over until he cried out in pure joy.


Fifteen minutes later both men stood in a shower and rinsed off the sweat and juices from lovemaking. As Tony rubbed a cloth down John's back, John leaned against him and said, "I love you, Antony and there is no way Brian has stopped loving Justin.  It isn't possible." He turned and laid his head on Tony's shoulder as Tony pulled him close. "Promise you will never play those game with me. PROMISE!"


"Oh, Mi Amore, I pray I will never break your heart." He brushed John's wet hair away and kissed him. "You are my life. I would be nothing without you and our children."



Brinn had wandered into the kitchen and sat next to Matti on a stool by the counter.  Little Jonna was chattering up a storm. Claire was cleaning up some plates that were in front of them and then looked at Brinn.  Her heart went out to the young girl. She took Jonna out of her highchair and turned to Matti. "Matti, I am sure your dads have finished their shower.  I bet they would love to play with the two of you until dinner in about an hour." Matti looked at Brinn but Claire said, "I think I could use Brinn's help for a few minutes if she doesn't mind."


Softly, Brinn said, "I don't mind."


Once the children left the room Claire walked over and put an arm around Brinn.  "Are you alright, Honey?"


Brinn nodded but a tear escaped from the corner of her eye.  "Auntie Claire, I don't know what to think. My daddy had an accident and my dad doesn't seem to care. Daddy is so sad.  His heart is broken. I can tell. Why doesn't Dad love us anymore? What can I do to make him love us again. I miss him so much and so does Daddy."


Claire wrapped her arms around her and held on to her fiercely.  She would never understand her brother. He knew what if felt like to be rejected.  How could he do that to his own daughter after knowing how much it hurt to feel that way?"


John left the kids to Tony after Matti had said Brinn was with Claire. He walked into the kitchen and Claire slipped away knowing she needed John.  She had seen the special bond between these cousins and she knew they would always have a connection that she had never had with another soul. John smiled a little as him mom and scooped Brinn up into his arms.  She wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist and held on like he was a life raft. John walked to the overstuffed chair in the corner and sat with Brinn. She didn't say anything but curled up against him.  Within minutes she was sound asleep.


John had planned to check on Justin but couldn't leave Brinn now.  "Mom, could you check on Justin?" he said very softly. She nodded as she walked over and kissed her son's damp hair.  He reached out and took her hand. "Thanks for giving Tony and me a little time." she smiled down at him and then left the room.


Claire had put hot water in a thermos earlier and she took that along up with some tea, honey, and a mug.  She knocked on Justin's door softly and walked in slowly. "Is it alright if I come in?"


"Sure, Claire."  Justin's usual spark and smile were gone.


"How are you feeling?  Is it time for another pain pill maybe?"  Claire was uncomfortable with affection and showing caring.  With a child it was different but with adults, she never really learned that skill.


"I took one about 10 minutes ago." Justin noticed Claire was unsure what to do.  "If you'd like you can sit down. I wouldn't mind a little company. Is Brinn...."


"Brinn is with John.  I'm afraid she is a little drained and fell asleep on John's lap." As she spoke she poured some hot water into the mug.  "I know you aren't a huge tea drinker but I know you drink it from time to time and I thought you might enjoy a cup."


"Thanks, Claire.  That does sound good." As he moved he grimmised at the pain that shot across his chest.  The seatbelt had really done a number on him. But he realized how bad it could have been without the seatbelt.  For a moment he wondered what would happen to Brinn if he had died. Brian wasn't fit at the moment so it would have fallen to Gus. Poor Gus.


Justin realized Claire was speaking to him, “I’m sorry, Claire, I think the pain killers at making it hard to focus.”

“The pills I’m sure are part of it but my brother is the main cause I would think. Justin, I have no idea what my brother is up to but I know he loves you and I don’t know what he is up to but I do know...he’s an idiot sometimes but I love him and so do you.  Please, don’t give up on him, Justin. Whatever this is, he’ll need you to pick up the pieces.”


“Claire, I always am but, DAMN IT! What if I can’t one of these times. Or…..” Justin’s voice went to a whisper, “What if he doesn’t want me to.”


“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything.  Your marriage is none of my business. I just don’t want to see him throw his life away like the rest of our family has.”  



Brinn slept with Justin that night and in the morning she didn’t want to leave his side.  Justin sat in bed most of the day reading books and drawing. Every picture they drew ended up pictures of their family or of just Brian.  Mid afternoon Justin got up for a while and went downstairs but soon was ready to lay down again. He was glad Brinn had decided to play with the other kids.  He loved her so much but he needed some time alone. He had tried to call Gus but there was no answer and Brian wasn’t taking his calls on either his cell or at the office.  He asked John if he could keep Brinn for the evening. Of course if she got too upset she could come back up here but he knew she needed some time to take her mind off everything too.  


John stopped by Justin’s room and let him know Brinn was having a sleepover with Matti.  “Justin, is there anything I can do for you. Anything?


“John, please go be with your family.  Go love your husband…”


John smiled, “We kind of did that this afternoon. I needed to remind myself how fortunate I am.”


“What did he say to you?”


“It isn’t important.  He was being Uncle Brian when he is on one of his trips.  He was drinking.”


“Just go sleep with your husband.”  John kissed Justin and left the room.


Justin curled up on the big bed and fell asleep.


Shelby and Gus got a late afternoon flight out of San Francisco.  They held hands as they flew across the country. Gus told her about Brian’s childhood and how he reacted when he had cancer both times.  “I love my Pops, but he really is an emotional cripple. If it wasn’t for Dad I would never have lived with Brian. He would probably have killed himself by now.”  


Shelby held on to his arm.  “Whatever is going on we will make it through it together.”


Gus leaned over and kissed her.  “I know how lucky I am, Shelby. I really do.”



It was after midnight when they arrived at the inn.  Gus had contacted John when they landed. He made sure there was room for them and when they arrived John was waiting up.  


“How is he, John?  Is he hurting?


“Oh, the bruises are definitely not letting him get comfortable but you and I both know what is really hurting him.”


“Where is Brinn?”  Shelby asked, concerned for Gus’ sister.


“She is sleeping in Jonna’s room.  Funny because Jonna is sleeping with Matti.”


Shelby kissed Gus. “You go stay with your dad, and if it is alright with John and Tony, I’ll slip in with Brinn.”


John smiled, “Brinn will love that and I know Justin could use you with him.”  


Gus pulled Shelby to him.  “I will see you in a few hours.  I….thank you.”


Gus went up the steps and into the room Justin was using.  “Dad, you asleep?”


Justin’s eyes fluttered open. “Gus!  Why didn’t you tell me you were coming in tonight?”


“I wasn’t sure we would make the flight but we did.”


“Where is Shelby?”


“She is sleeping with Brinn tonight so if you don’t mind, I thought I would bunk in with you.” Gus gently hugged his dad.  “We’ll figure this out together.”


Gus stripped to his boxers and slipped into bed with Justin.  “Good night, Dad. I love you.”


“I love you, too, and I am so glad you are here.”