- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Parent time for Brian, Justin and Mel... more tragic news for the family... and a stronger than ever Debbie

BRITIN - SATURDAY

“NO!” Jenny yelled at her mom. Of course she had realized that something was going on with her mothers and father but the fact that she would never be able to see Lindsay and Michael again was too devastating and heartbreaking for the little girl.

 

“Oh Jenny, I know it hurts.” Mel tried to sound strong in between the sobs coming out of her mouth. Her heart was breaking for her beautiful little girl.

 

“I want ALL of my parents home.” The little girl said before breaking down in Mel’s arms.

 

They had already talked to Gus earlier in the morning. The boy had been tired of Lindsay and Michael for a while and therefore had been glad to hear he would never have to see either of them again. Brian, Justin and Mel knew that Gus’ stand could change anytime. Lindsay was still his mother and the boy loved her, even though he had been hurt deeply by her.

 

Mel had no other chance than to hold her little daughter. Gus had Brian and Justin but Jenny really only had one parent left. When the door opened quietly, she realized that she and her daughter were not alone tho.

 

“Hey princess.“ Justin said gently, announcing his arrival to a crying Jenny. The little girl kept crying but squeezed the artist’s hand tightly after he offered it to her.

 

“Brian and I thought that the three of us should spend the day with the children. We know the rest of the family wants to be here for all of us but Gus and Jenny need our love and attention more now.” Justin explained softly.

 

“You’re right. I will call Ben and Hunter in the afternoon to see if they want to come around. Ben’s her papa and I’m sure Jenny would love to have both of her big brothers with her today. What do you think, honey?” Mel answered the blonde and asked her daughter.

 

Jenny wasn’t able to give a verbal reply but her nodding let both adults known that she agreed. “Okay, that’s settled then.” Mel whispered tenderly.

 

“I know we normally don’t do that, but we have delicious waffles and ice cream on the menu for breakfast. Brian also suggested to go out to the stables with the dogs later. Gus and Jenny could ride their ponies if that’s okay with you?” Justin asked but Mel had not a chance to reply.

 

“Ice cream for breakfast? Can I, mommy? Please, please?” Jenny begged.

 

“This is only today, Jenny. We have told Gus the same.” Justin said sternly, yet gently.

 

Jenny nodded wearing a huge grin. Mel was happy to see her little girl happy again. She gave her okay and Jenny ran out of the room, down the stairs to go to the kitchen where Brian and Gus were waiting for them.

 

Justin gave Mel a quick hug before the two had gone to join their family.

 


DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

The waitress had spent the whole night awake, crying and cursing her son and Lindsay. Carl had been holding her all night to show his support.

 

“I… I have to go to the station and see him.” Debbie spoke determined.

 

“Are you sure it’s a good idea, honey?” Carl asked, worried that Deb would fall back in the role of Michael’s enabler.

 

“No, I’m not but I figure that as long as he’s in a cell and I can’t reach him, it will be fine. Well, as fine as it could be under these circumstances. I won’t be able to hurt him physically.” Debbie mumbled and Carl was surprised.

 

“Deb, honey…” Carl began but Deb interrupted him.

 

“I need to do that, honey. I need to see him. One last time. I have to be the one to tell him that he doesn’t have a mother anymore. Don’t worry, he won’t be able to change my mind or use his tricks on me. I’m done with him. I admit that I have made many, many mistakes while raising him but I never taught him that it’s okay to harm or kill someone. That’s all on him. And it’s about time that he hears that from me!” Debbie explained and was happy to see the proud look on Carl’s face. She was done putting her life on hold for her son. Carl, Jenny and the gang were her family.

 


ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL

 

“Call Mel.” Blake said quietly. He and Ted had been asleep still when Hunter called to let them know about Ben. The end of his marriage with Michael, worrying about Hunter and Jenny and the entire mess with Lindsay and Michael had been too much for the professor. His T-Cell count had dropped drastically. Some of his organs had stopped functioning properly and the doctors had to put him into a coma.

 

Hunter had found his dad in bed. The young man thought that Ben was still asleep but recognized soon that his breathing wasn’t right. And when he couldn’t wake up his dad he called the hospital. He had been a mess since Ted and Blake arrived, followed by Emmett and Drew. The adults had tried to comfort the younger man but to no avail.

 

His biggest fear was coming true. First, he had lost Michael. Although Hunter had never called him dad, the comic geek had still been somewhat of a father figure to him. He feared that with Michael out of the picture, he and Ben would probably not be able to see Jenny as much as they wanted since they weren’t related. At least he still would have Ben, or so he thought. But with Ben being so sick now, Hunter was fearing to be all alone soon.

 

“Hey Mel, I’m sorry to bother you but I have bad news.” Ted greeted his long-time friend after she had picked up the phone. “No, nothing to do with those two. It’s Ben. God Mel, he’s in the hospital. They had to put him in a coma. It looks really bad. Hunter is completely devastated.” Ted explained as gently as possible. “Allegheny, yes. We’re all sitting in the waiting room trying to console Hunter. He needs his sister or at least you. I know it’s not a good idea to bring Jenny here after everything. It would only make it worse for her. Okay, talk to them. I’ll see you in a bit.” Ted ended the call. Mel would talk and explain the situation to Brian and Justin.

 

It really had been too much for all of them, including Hunter. Ted had to admit that everyone had been so worried about Gus and Jenny but nobody really thought about Hunter. Yes, the former street kid was an adult by now but his family was falling apart. And with the young man’s background, all of them should have realized how badly this would affect him, too.

 

He was happy that Mel would be with them soon. She had been the lawyer that fought for Hunter and made sure he could stay with Ben and Michael. And as Jenny’s mother, she was part of Hunter’s family, too. Ted had no doubt that nothing would change for Jenny and Hunter. They would always be brother and sister, Gus, too. He was sure that Mel would never take Ben and Hunter away from Jenny and he was counting on Mel to tell the young man just that.

 


BRITIN - OUT AT THE STABLES

 

“Brian, Justin. Can we talk for a few minutes?” Mel asked. She hated to interrupt their time but they needed to know what was going on. And Mel wanted to go to the hospital for Ben and Hunter.

 

Brian nodded in reply and asked their gardener, Marco, to keep an eye on the children. The brunette had called their horse trainers Steve and his wife Jessica to help Gus and Jenny on their first rides with the ponies and knew they were good and careful.

 

“What’s up Mel?” Justin asked once they had walked a bit away from the kids.

 

“Ted just called. Ben’s in the hospital.” Mel told them. “Hunter had found him in the morning. I don’t know the details yet but Ben’s in a coma and Hunter is close to breaking down. I have to go and see them, Brian. I have to. Hunter has no one except for us and I won’t take Jenny to the hospital.”

 

“Go Mel, we’ll take care of the kids and tell them that you had to go because of an emergency. Call us as soon as you know more. And give Hunter our love.” Justin said. Mel nodded and made her way back to the house to grab her things.

 

“Shit Brian, how much more is going to come? We deserve a break. All of us.” Justin sighed and enjoyed the warmth and love in the arms of his husband.

 

“I don’t know. Truly don’t know.” Brian sighed and held his lover stronger. “But we’ll get through this. All of us. Ben had lost some weight and the added stress from dealing with the break up and the mess, it was just too much I guess. But he’s a fighter. He won’t just leave Hunter and Jenny. He’ll come through.” Brian tried to reassure not only his lover, but also himself. Their family really needed a break.

 


POLICE STATION

 

“Ma, finally. I was waiting for you. Where have you been? Why haven’t you come earlier to see me?” Michael fired question after question at his mother.

 

“I’m only here to say goodbye, Michael.” Deb stated coldly.

 

“Goodbye? What the fuck are you talking about? I need you to help me. I only wanted to protect Brian. You know he owes me and you. He had no right to replace me with that blonde, gold digging whore.” Michael ranted.

 

“Michael, stop it. You are my son and I’ll always love the boy I have raised but I will not love the man you have become. Not anymore. You aren’t the center of my life anymore. After the shit you and Lindsay pulled, I have no son. All the love I have wasted on you will go to Jenny and Hunter and Gus now. Those beautiful children that you and Lindsay didn’t think about for just a second in all your stupidity. I’m done, Michael. Officially done. Don’t call me, don’t write me or anything. I’ll not support you from this day onward. I have lost my son to the gold digging, selfish, entitled asshole that you are. Because the Michael that I have raised, cherished and loved would have never done any of the things you have done. I don’t know you anymore Michael. And Brian doesn’t owe us a Goddamn thing. If anything, we do. Goodbye you ungrateful brat.” Deb stated and left the cell room.

 

Carl had waited outside, giving Deb the space she had needed to finally cut the cords to Michael. He could hear every single word and if his heart wasn’t breaking and hurting so badly for his wife, he would have been amused by Michael’s frantic ranting.


“Let’s go home, Carl. We have a family that needs us.” Deb told her husband with a smile. She was free of all the chains that Michael had put around her. It was time for her to free the rest of the family from his and Lindsay’s chains, too.

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

As always, huge thanks to my beta Loahisi. I will try to get the next chapters done as soon as possible.

Sandy xoxo