- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The family gets together... a new romance seems to be on the way?

“Dad, I can’t reach Hunter.” Hank said to his father, worry in his voice.

 

“I think Mel and Brian wanted to tell the kids about Lindsay and Michael today. Maybe Ben and Hunter are with them?” David wondered.

 

“I didn’t think of that. I’ll leave him a message, he can call back when he’s ready. I wonder how Jenny and Gus will feel about this mess.” Hank spoke gently.

 

“Yeah, it makes me angry to see those two throwing away their families for nothing. I hope all of them know that they can call us anytime.” David said.

 

“Thank you dad.” Hank said with a small smile. At David’s confused look, the young man elaborated. “I remember the time when you thought Brian and the others were to blame for Michael’s faults. I’m glad you’ve finally opened your eyes to the truth. I think they’re all good people. They wanted the best for Michael. And I’m really glad we’ve met Ben and Hunter. They’re such good people. I’ll probably never understand what made you and Ben fall for Michael but that’s not the point here. You and I have been welcome to their family despite the issues between you.”

 

David looked at his son and enjoyed the feeling of pride going through his body. Hank had become a very smart, bright and observant young man and he vowed to always make sure to bring good people around his son.

 

The quiet moment was interrupted by the ringing of Hank’s phone.

 

“That’s Hunter.” Hank said happily and went to his room to take the call.

 

A couple of minutes later, Hank stormed back into the room with tears flowing down his face.

 

“Ben…” Hank sobbed. “Hospital. Coma.”

 

“OH FUCK NO!” David screamed in shock. He managed to calm himself immediately and took his son into his arms and held him tightly. “Shhh, it’s going to be okay. Ben’s a fighter. He’ll be fine, I’m so sure.” He shushed quietly, trying to sound reassuring.

 

“Hunter is so sad, dad. I wish I could help him.” Hank sobbed.

 

“There’s only one hospital around here. Let’s go there and see if we can find them.” David offered and Hank agreed readily.

 

“Yes, but let’s pack some food. Hospital food is disgusting and who knows if any of them had something to eat yet.” Hank suggested and David was once again amazed by the big heart of his son. They quickly prepared some sandwiches and packed some juice and then jumped into the car to look for their friends.

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - 50 MINUTES LATER

 

The waiting room was packed with most of the family and their quiet chatter filled the room. Everyone was grateful for the food and juice that David and Hank had brought. Mel was with them and observed how great Hank and Hunter got along. She also noticed the look on David’s face. Worry and fear replaced one another whenever a doctor appeared on the floor. She wasn’t sure if David himself had noticed how much he really has come to like Ben. It sounded hilarious to her: David and Ben. One dated Michael for a while and the other married him. But watching David’s face made Mel realized that both men had struggled in their respective relationships with that man. Both were smart and independent, both knew who they were. Maybe, being with someone who wasn’t like Michael at all would make these two men happy.

 

Despite the circumstances of the ‘get together’, Ted was happy to see most of the family united. He had tried to call Deb and Carl several times but neither was picking up. He was worried how Deb would handle the news about Ben. She was already devastated about losing her son to his own stupidity. Losing Ben, her son-in-law, could send her over the edge emotionally.

 

DEB & CARL’S HOUSE

 

Carl had spent the entire night making sure his wife was okay. Cutting Michael out of her life was a much needed but also tough step. She would always love the boy she gave birth to and raised, Carl knew and respected that. There was nothing wrong with that. He was just glad that Deb had seen that Michael was the only one to blame for the situation he found himself in. Not Deb or Brian. Or anyone else. Not having a father figure in his life was not only a lie but also no excuse. A lie because there was Vic. He was Michael’s uncle by blood but the man loved Michael and tried to guide the younger man. As a gay man himself, Vic knew how to help Michael understand his sexuality. Money also was never a problem. Sure, they weren’t rich but as a boy, Michael always had a solid roof over his head. He never had to starve or go out begging for money. Vic and Deb gifted toys and such on more occasions than just birthdays, christmases and other holidays.

 

It had always amazed him how Michael turned out so different from Brian. Deb had taken over raising the brunette right after he and Michael met. She knew she had made a lot of mistakes with both boys but Brian always went for more. He studied hard, worked hard and protected those he loved. Mainly Michael but Brian always took care of Deb and Vic, too. Even if he just handed them a twenty dollar bill or brought flowers and chocolate for them. Michael had never done any of that without it being their birthday.

 

Carl wasn’t there to witness these situations but he and Vic had become good friends and talked a lot about their pasts. Vic had found his true love and happiness with Rodney. Deb had found Carl. Even all of their lost boys and girls had found their homes with a significant other. Emmett was over the moon with Drew, Ted and Blake found happiness after the early struggled, Michael found a great man in Ben and Lindsay had Melanie. The only loner was Brian. Well, until he met Justin. Carl really didn’t understand the same sex attraction but he also had no problem with it. He didn’t approve of the lifestyle Brian lived but that was more out of worry. Carl knew what drugs and alcohol could do. Brian had been walking a thin line for so many years. He always hoped for the best, that the successful ad ex would never lose the control over his use of drugs, alcohol and sex. But Brian had become more balanced, relax since meeting the blonde artist and it warmed Carl’s heart. He wouldn’t go so far as saying Brian became a new person. No, he was still Brian but without the coldness and harshness the man needed to protect himself from hurt. With Brian’s childhood and the abuse he had endured for so long by not only his parents but also his friends, colleagues and bosses, Carl understood why Brian wouldn’t let anyone get to close.

 

But Justin did it. He destroyed those walls and allowed Brian to be human. To the blonde, Brian wasn’t a bank, a threat to control his close family and friends with, a hero to worship. For Justin, none of those things mattered. He wanted Brian, his love and respect without letting him walk on water. No, now, if Brian messed up there  wasn't speeches about his inability to take responsibility, how we was an asshole, good for nothing or whatever he’d been told over the years. Now Brian had to admit to his shit, even more so than ever before. Because now he wasn’t alone, he had a partner who fought by his side. No more backstabbing for the man who was used to that. Sure, Brian had always owned his fuck ups but to protect himself, he made himself not care about whatever those fucks ups caused. Well, except for the family. Then the brunette would beat himself up. He always did that, just like he always took the blame for everyone else’s fuck ups.

 

But that was over. Justin wouldn’t let it happen ever again. Carl was sure of that. And he loved it. No more unfairness towards a hard working man.

 

Looking at his phone, Carl noticed several missed calls. “Oh Shit, Deb honey. Ted has called 13 times so far.”

 

“That much? He would never call if it wasn’t important. Let me check my phone. HOLY SHIT! 27 CALLS! Carl, something happened. I know it.” Debbie sobbed immediately, worried.

 

“Calm down, honey. At least try to. Call Ted. Let’s find out what’s going on before we jump to conclusions.” Carl reasoned.

 

Almost ten minutes later, the two were on their way to the hospital.

 

BRITIN - AFTER HORSE RIDING ENDED

 

“Mel just called. Nothing new yet.” Brian said as he wrapped his arms around Justin.

 

“Shit!” Justin sighed. “Is she staying at the hospital?” He wondered.

 

“Yeah, she wants to stay a little longer. I suggested telling Jenny and Gus about Ben and she agreed. I told her we’d do it now and she can update them later how he is now. That okay for you?” Brian asked.

 

“Sure. Let’s go into your office. They need to be focused. We’ll see what we can do then, depending on their moods.” Justin suggested and Brian nodded. The brunette went to get the children while Justin grabbed some milk and cookies for the two.

 

Justin held Jenny closely, whispering tender words into her small ear. Her desperate sobbing tore at his heart. Gus and Brian touched her shoulder gently, trying to comfort the little girl. Gus was crying, too. He liked Ben but Jenny could be losing the closest thing to a father she had.

 

When the little girl wanted to see her Ben, Brian managed to convince her to wait. He agreed to take her to the hospital as soon as Ben would wake up. He had to vow that, a simple promise was not enough for the heartbroken girl.

 

JAIL - MICHAEL’S CELL

 

“Fuck that bitch! She’s my mother, I’m her only child. She fucking owes me. I endured her all those years even though she was always too loud and embarrassing.” Michael mumbled.

 

“Shut the hell up, asshole!” One of the other guys yelled.

 

“NO!” Michael yelled back. “I’m not shutting up. That bitch of my mother should rot in hell just like all of you fuckers should.” The comic geek really worked himself up.

 

Michael was still rambling, not paying attention to his cellmate who was just as fed up with him as the rest of the guys in that cell block. He was in mid rant when he fell to the floor and silence reigned. The other criminals went back to whatever they were doing with a content smile on their faces.

 

 

 

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

We're slowly reaching the end of this story but I'm having more ideas and even started to write a new one. Thanks to everyone who's so patiently waiting for new updates. I appreciate your support and comments so much.

And of course, a big thank you to my beta Loahisi for always being her brilliant self.