- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Finally some good news for the family regarding Ben, love is all around in even the worst times and Mel reveals a smart move from her past...

It took two more days of waiting for the family until Ben woke up. Mel and Brian went to the hospital every day. Brian in the mornings and Mel in the afternoons. They all ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with the children. Justin only went once with Brian. He couldn’t do anything and hated feeling useless. He couldn’t take the pain from Jenny nor could he make Ben wake up, so he decided to stay with the children. The only time he accompanied Brian to the hospital was to have a talk with the doctor. He needed to explain the special situation the family was in, to ask for a favor. The doctor needed to know the facts.

 

Luckily for Justin, the doctor understood the situation and agreed. So when Ben had finally woken up around 11pm, Justin, Brian and Mel were allowed to bring Jenny and Gus for a quick visit. The little girl was so happy to see her Ben and Hunter again. They were allowed to stay for about an hour and the adults could see how much Ben had enjoyed the visitors.

 

In the morning Mel had called the rest of the family to tell them the good news. David was the last person she called and she heard the relief in the man’s voice through the phone. He promised to bake his famous strawberry cake that he brought the previous day for the family to eat. Ben had seemed quite hungry for a taste when Mel had mentioned it to him.

 

Brian had noticed something, too. Whenever David’s name was mentioned, Ben’s eyes shone a little brighter. The professor was interested in more than just friendship and Brian had realized during his visits at the hospital that David had obviously wanted the very same.

 

Love. A family. Brian had always wanted those but never dared to wish for it. It took meeting Justin and later his family to understand the actual concept. Of course he had known love in other ways before: the love he had for his great son or the love he had for his friends. But love and relationships? Never before. And soon their family would be welcoming someone new. Daphne’s pregnancy progressed just fine and Brian found himself looking forward to have another son. Gus was excited as well. Only three more months until their little bundle of energy would arrive if everything went according to plan.

 

Justin had no idea but Brian had managed to get an apartment for Daphne close to their home. The dark haired lady with the killer claws only wanted to be the aunt, but she wanted to be close. She had offered to carry their baby because she loved Justin like a brother and Brian came close. He and Daphne really got along well and Brian was lucky she had been in New York during the messy situation with Lindsay and Michael.

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” Justin quiet voice interrupted the brunette’s thoughts.

 

“Just thinking about our family and what the future’s going to hold. I can’t wait for Gus’ little brother to be with us.” Brian said with a smile.

 

“Yeah, I’m very excited myself. With everything going on we didn’t even have the time to talk about names.” Justin told his husband.

 

“Well, since it’s a boy we can forget the name I wanted for a girl. I was thinking of Victor Craig for a boy. You know, to honor Vic and your dad.” Brian suggested almost shyly.

 

“That sounds great, Bri. I wanted to use Craig, too but thought about Aidan for a second name. I love it and it’s part of you. Just out of curiosity, what was the name you thought about for a girl?” Justin asked. He hoped that he and Brian would have at least one more child in the future. The blonde would love a little girl.

 

“Aidan? Haven’t thought of that but it sounds good. We’ll go with that one. I thought Jennifer Kasie sounds good. I don’t think Debbie or Deborah are good names. It’s too old fashioned in my opinion. I just hope Deb won’t be mad. But to honor Vic, we could use Victoria, too.” Brian admitted.

 

“I doubt she’d be mad. And I love both of your ideas for a girl. Maybe we’ll have a little girl one day.” Justin said but to Brian it sounded like a suggestion. One that made him so happy.

 

“I like the thought of that, sunshine.” Brian whispered before he deeply kissed his artist.


ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - BEN’S ROOM

 

 

“David, thank you for looking out for Hunter. I hate that he didn’t leave this place those past few days.” Ben said sincerely. He worried that his son wouldn’t care about his own health enough. And hospitals are not a real good place for HIV patients.

 

“No need to thank me, Ben. Hank and I like both of you and we’re glad to be of help. Hunter has been eating and getting enough rest. Now that you’re awake he’ll go home for the nights. I think he needed to be here. He needed to see you’re going to be fine. You have to see it from his point of view. He already lost Michael, who despite all of his flaws had been some kind of father figure in his life, too. He was scared shitless to lose you, too.” David said gently. He understood Ben’s worries but could also see why Hunter refused to go home while Ben was still in the coma.

 

“I know. I’m just so glad you and Hank are going to stay with him. I’m sorry about your apartment tho. You both are welcome to stay with us for as long as you need. Finding a good place in a decent neighborhood isn’t easy.” Ben said.

 

“Thank you. Luck is really not a friend of mine, hasn’t been for a while but at least nobody was hurt.” David said with a small smile. It really was bad luck that the construction company left their huge crane unsupervised on the building ground next to David’s apartment complex. When some teenagers played with the crane they managed to throw it right into said complex and the fire department had to rescue many of the occupants before the entire building collapsed.

 

“Yeah, who knows what could’ve happened.” Ben mused.

 

“I’ll try to see the bright side of this: we’ll be able to look out for Hunter while you recover.” David laughed and was soon joined by the professor.

 

“Oh, I totally forgot. My new office is opening next week. Ted and Jennifer worked together. I can’t wait. I’ll finally make my own money again. I’ll of course contribute to the bills.” David said happily.

 

Ben looked at David closely and saw the happiness in the other man’s eyes. He was glad that things started to look up for the chiropractor. He and Hank deserved better times.

 

“I like you.” Ben blurred out, blushing.

 

David gave him a tender smile before he answered. “I like you, too. I like you very much.” He whispered.

 

Ben moved forwards, catching the man’s lips in a sweet but short kiss. David reciprocated by deepening the kiss.

 

That was how Hank and Hunter found the two. The two were waiting for David so they could go home. Hunter was happy to see his dad’s feeling being returned. He had hoped for Ben to find a new love soon. Hank was just as happy and hoped his dad and Ben could make it work.


3 DAYS LATER - BRITIN

 

“Justin, Brian, can we talk?” Mel asked. The two men knew she had been on the phone for the past hour and they had an idea what the call could’ve been about.

 

“Sure, let’s go to my office.” Brian said, curious.

 

The whole family was there for a visit with the children. Even Ben allowed himself to spend a couple of hours out of the bed. The doctors had told him to rest a lot but he could not resist seeing Jenny again. The family showed great support in his new relationship with David and he was happier than he had ever been.

 

Brian closed the door behind him after Mel and Justin followed him into the office.

 

“That was our lawyer. The trials will start next week. They don’t think it will take long to reach a verdict with all the evidence against them. He also told me that he’ll deliver some papers to Lindsay and Michael tomorrow about the kids.” Mel explained.

 

Justin looked confused while Brian raised his eyebrow in response.

 

“I know I haven’t talked to you about it but they are not good parents so they aren’t worthy of their parental rights. They didn’t think of Jenny and Gus in all their plans. Our children deserve better. I’ll have sole custody of Jenny after that. It’s Gus I’m worried about. I’m not his biological mother so custody will automatically go to you, Brian.” Mel explained and the brunette man nodded.

 

“I’m not sure if you plan to adopt him, Justin?” Mel continued.

 

“I would love to do that. But what about your rights, Mel?” Justin wondered.

 

“I won’t have any rights. Well, I could have the same rights as you if Brian allows me to adopt Gus, too. I will talk to Ben later about him adopting Jenny officially. I want everything secure so that Lindsay or Michael will never be able to go after the children.” Mel told them.

 

“I don’t understand, I thought you had already adopted Gus?” Brian asked. He had given up the rights to his son so Mel could adopt the boy years ago.

 

“We never filled the papers. None of them, Brian. You are still legally the father. I just never told you or Lindsay so she couldn’t make you bleed to see him. I didn’t do it to protect you, don’t worry. I was just so annoyed with her constantly asking you for money. If she had known you still have your rights she wouldn’t have stopped at that. She would have made sure you paid through your nose to just see him and no matter what anybody thought, I never wanted your money like that. I could and would have accepted loans but not the handouts she was always asking for.” Mel said passionately. “I wanted a family with Lindsay and everything included raising a child together. I wanted us to be responsible for Gus in all aspects.”

 

“Thanks Mel. Your decision is going to be of help for us now.” Brian mused.

 

“I know. You and Justin are married, legally so he’s already Gus’ stepfather but by adopting him nobody could take him away from Justin if anything were to happen. And I would love to adopt Gus, too because he’s my son and I love him.” Mel told them.

 

“Get the papers ready. For both of you.” Brian said, knowing this was the right thing to do.

 

“Also, I wanted to ask if both of you would like me to name you as guardians for Jenny? In that case, if anything were to happen to me and Ben wouldn’t be able to take care of her she’d go to you along with Gus.” Mel asked the two men.

 

“I’d be honored.” Justin said, close to tears.

 

Brian cleared his throat several times. He was close to tears as well. “Absolutely.”


“Alright, I’ll get the papers ready and hope to get an appointment in court soon.” Mel told them, relieved and happy.

TBC

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

So, I'm already working on the next chapters. I think this story will have around 10 chapters, maybe less. It depends.

But be patient with me as I probably won't be able to write in the next few days since my dog Blacky is going to be in surgery on Wednesday and I'm a nervous wreck already. I promise to try my very best.

Happy reading and thanks for all the lovely comments. I appreciate every single reader. Plus, my beta Loahisi is the best. I couldn't do this without her help.

Sandy xoxo