- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Some updates on Ben's thoughts regarding Hunter and Brian has the support of Craig when he closes some rather disturbing chapters in his life.

Mel had kept her promise to get the papers ready as soon as possible. It only took a couple of days for the three parents to stand in front of a judge. With Justin and Melanie adopting Gus, neither had to fear for Gus’ safety regarding Lindsay. The same went for Jenny regarding Michael. Mel would have to do the same process again once she and Ben had sorted out the papers.

 

Although Ben had been released from the hospital quickly, he had a huge scare. With Michael out of the picture, he needed to know his son had a good support system in the worst case. So the professor had asked Debbie, Carl, Melanie and Brian if they’d make sure that Hunter would be provided for and taken care of should he die in the near future. Melanie had agreed to adopt Hunter so the young man would always be connected with his sister Jenny and brother Gus. Debbie and Carl had promised to provide the food and even a room just in case. And Carl would also make sure that nobody from Hunter’s past could come and cause trouble for the smart young man. 

 

Brian had offered to take care of any financial needs. He had called Justin during the meeting to talk about his offer and the blonde agreed happily. With all aspects of Hunter’s future being taken care of, Justin asked about the teenager’s near future plans. When neither could say for sure what Hunter had wanted to do with his life, Justin offered to take the younger man out for a day to look at options. 

 

“I’m not really good at anything.” Hunter said meekly. He didn’t think anyone would hire a former street kid, hustler and HIV person. “I also haven’t been the greatest in school.” He added with a shrug, trying to act nonchalantly.

 

“Not true, Hunter. You’re very good with Jenny and Gus. So maybe working with kids would be an idea. Or with animals. I loved watching you with our dogs and the kids. You’re patient and kind. What else do you like to do?” Justin said, trying his best to convince the younger man of his talents.

 

“I dunno. Reading probably. Cooking, too. Or music and computer games.” Hunter replied.

 

“Well, you could combine things, you know? Helping kids who have problems with reading. Or teaching them how to cook. You can do so much, Hunter. Just open yourself to all those possibilities that life offers.” Justin told him with a bright smile.

 

“Shit, you make everything so easy. I’m a soon to be AIDS victim. Nobody would hire me. I’m nothing, a nobody.” Hunter said, trying to stop the tears from falling. Justin had a good life, he couldn’t understand his situation.

 

“You are somebody! You are Ben’s son, Gus and Jenny’s brother. You are part of this family. You bring joy and love to those around you. Trust me when I tell you this, Hunter. This family loves you. Back to the computer games and music. I know that my father is always looking for staff in his stores. He already said he’d love to have you there for a day to see if you’d be interested. What do you think?” Justin offered.

 

“At Taylor Electronics? Your dad would hire me?” Hunter asked, needing assurance.

 

“Sure. In case you hadn’t noticed, my parents adore you.” Justin laughed at Hunter’s expressions, which was a mix of blushing and surprise.

 

“Cool. I’d love to work there for a day at least. Can you call your dad and ask him?” Hunter asked excitedly.

 

“Sure.” Justin replied and picked out his phone to dial his father’s number. After ten minutes, Hunter was excited to go and work at the store the next day. Craig had been happy to learn that Hunter had shown huge interest.

 

ALLEGHENY PRISON - WOMEN WING

 

“Officer, could you help me, please? I need to call my husband about our son, Gus. I miss my lambskin so much.” Lindsay said in a seductive voice, playing with her hair. An action she had done a lot since her arrest but that hadn’t been working at all so far.

 

“Nice try, Peterson. Your son is better off without such a cold hearted, selfish and greedy bitch as you are.” The officer laughed at her.

 

Lindsay let out a muffled scream in frustration. She hadn’t managed to manipulate anyone and she was running out of time. The from the state appointed lawyer had made it clear to her that there wasn’t any chance for her to get out of her current predicament. She needed to get out of jail as soon as just possible. She had no desire to spend the next years in a cell.

 

LATER THAT NIGHT - BRITIN

 

Justin had been watching his sexy husband for a while and knew that something was bothering the brunette. Jen and Craig had come by earlier to stay the night. When Craig walked into the living room, he looked from Brian to Justin and noticed how worried his son was. He motioned for Justin to give him and Brian some space. Craig had a feeling at what caused the ad ex to be this quiet and lost in thoughts. He sat down next to Brian after Justin had left the room.

 

“Talk to me, son. What’s going on in that head of yours?” Craig asked gently.

 

“I… it’s just, I… fuck this shit.” Brian muttered angrily. Frustration ran through his whole body. He had felt betrayed, used and manipulated by his two supposed best friends, there was nothing to change that. “Why did they claim to be my friends when they actually hate me that much?” Brian asked, with just a hint of anger in his tone. He didn’t want to be upset over the actions of Lindsay and Michael but he also couldn’t control his feelings so easily.

 

And in that moment, Craig knew what was wrong. “It’s not that they hate you. They don’t love you but hate is not the right word.” The elder man said gently and was met by a confused look on Brian’s face.

 

“It’s obsession. Desire. Want and need. Not healthy but that’s what it is. They want to own and control you. They want your sole attention and focus on them. For Lindsay, having Gus with you wasn’t because she wanted a child. It was wanting something that ties you to her. And Michael agreed to father Jenny because it would give you and him something in common.” Craig explained and saw understanding in Brian’s eyes.

 

“I feel so stupid. I always thought I could read people but they managed to fool me for years. How could I let this happen?” Brian wondered.

 

“You didn’t let it happen. You needed them at a very difficult time in your life. You have met Deb and Vic through Michael. And Lindsay was a means to an end for you. In fact, they abused you as much as your parents did. Not with fists but by conditioning and manipulating you to fit into their ideals. You didn’t see the fists so you thought they truly loved you and cared for you. A lot of people who have experienced violence and abuse, especially in their childhood, tend to fall for the mental type of abuse. You didn’t know better, Brian. Now you do know and have the chance to move on.” Craig told the younger man.

 

“But how can I move on when all I feel is this anger and rage?” Brian asked, desperately.

 

“Look at this mess like that: Lindsay and Michael are your demons and you need to exorcise them. Call Carl and ask him if you can see the two. Do and say what you need to so you can find closure. They won’t be able to manipulate you now. But they’ll try and this is where you tell them to fuck off.” Craig suggested.

 

“I don’t know if I can do that. What if I break down or something?” Brian asked, his voice laced with worry and fear.

 

“It could happen but I doubt that’s how you’ll react.” Craig told him. The business man was pretty sure that all the anger and frustrations would come to blow and Brian would scream at his former best friends. That would help getting rid of the tension and the brunette wouldn’t have to worry about leaving it out on the wrong people.

 

2 DAYS LATER - PRISON - MEN’S SECTION

 

Brian sat in the visiting room on a chair. In just a few moments he would see Michael again. The man he had considered one of his closest friends. Craig was waiting at the entry for Brian, to lend him support. Brian knew he wasn’t alone but he was still scared to face his long time friend again. Later he would pay a visit to Lindsay, too.

 

The loud clang of a huge door opening announced the arrival of Michael, who was accompanied by a stern looking warden. The man’s eyes lit up and a smile graced his previously grim face at seeing Brian waiting.

 

“Brian, oh my God Brian. Finally! What took you so long to come and see me?” Michael asked excitedly.

 

“I don’t know, maybe taking care of my family for example? You know, the one you wanted to destroy?” Brian replied sarcastically.

 

“Briiiiaaaan.” Michael whined as he sat down on the opposite chair. “You know I only want the best for you. That blonde gold digger changed you so much, you couldn’t be yourself with him. I tried to protect you from him and that bastard child he wanted to use to fuck you over even more with.” He explained, sure that Brian would understand.

 

But the tall man didn’t feel very understanding at all. Brian saw red when Michael issued yet another insult about his husband.

 

“The best for me? The best for me? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?” Brian yelled and behind him, in the entry Craig was smiling. Brian and Michael couldn’t see him but the man heard everything.

 

“You never cared about ME at all, you fucking asshole. It’s all about you, you, you. Nobody else. Not your mother, your husband, your son or your daughter. Only you. You are the biggest and most selfish dickhead on earth and you deserve rotting in a small cell for the rest of your miserable and pathetic life without ever seeing the sun again. You wanted the only man I ever loved and will love dead. Because you can’t think of anything else but your wants and needs, no matter how fucked up and unreal those are. You are dead to me, Michael Novotny. Dead. I fucking hate you and I promise you that I’ll hate you for the rest of my life. You know, the life I’ll share happily with my husband and our children. Jenny and Hunter will have Ben, their only dad. And with Hank they’ll have another brother since Ben and David Cameron are together and sharing a house. You’ve lost your mother, family and friends because you deserve none of them. We’re all better and deserve better people in our lives and thank God, with Justin and his family those better people have arrived. We all will be happy while you and Lindsay rot in hell. Goodbye, Michael. Enjoy the rest of your pathetic life and I hope to God you’ll be faced with the worst kind of criminals so you’ll never smile again.” Brian said while getting up and leaving a shell shocked Michael behind.

 

Outside of the waiting room, Craig was waiting for him with open arms. He held the son of his heart close, whispering calming reassurances while the ad ex mourned the loss of a person he had counted on for many years. After about forty minutes, Brian was ready to face his other demon, Lindsay.

 

PRISON - FEMALE SECTION

 

Lindsay already sat at the table. She was hoping her parents would have finally remembered their other daughter and had come to save her. When the door opened her face showed surprise at first, then she broke out in happy tears and a smile. She tried to get up and hug the father of her son but the warden pushed her back down right away.

 

“Oh Brian, I’m so happy to see you. I missed you so much.” She sobbed. “I tried to call you but they wouldn’t let me. I need you to help me with this mistake. It’s all a misunderstanding.”

 

“How could anyone not understand you correctly when you said you wanted to get rid of not only my husband but also my soon to be born son?” Brian asked coldly. Once again, Craig was waiting outside of the room, listening in and ready to give Brian moral support.

 

“Brian.” Lindsay said in that famous condescending tone of hers. “I love you, you know that. But this… man, he isn’t good for you. He changed you so much. I only ever wanted you to be who you are, a free spirit. And it hurts me that you want to replace Gus and I with some bad copies of us.” 

 

“Bad copies? What the fuck are you talking about?” Brian asked, outraged and confused.

 

“Well, look at your… husband. Blonde, an artist, pure WASP. You married him because he is me. You thought you couldn’t have me because of Mel but you should have known better. I’d have left Mel in a heartbeat if you had just said something. You and I could be raising Gus together and have more children.” Lindsay explained her crazy mind.

 

Brian broke out laughing. “No, Lindsay. Justin is NOTHING like you. He’s neither selfish nor delusional. He would never hurt or use our children to get whatever he wants. He’s a self made millionaire, who worked hard for every single penny he owns. He gives me so much and only wants my love and honesty in return. Not my money. He would never want me to give up myself to please him. He would never manipulate me the way you did. You’re entitled, selfish, greedy, lazy and just plain stupid. And for you to even entertain the thought of me and you getting married shows me how delusional and crazy you really are. You’re just an ugly cow who’s bitter because she wasn't getting what she wanted. Well, tough shit bitch. You work for what you want, don’t wait until someone else hands it to you.” Brian laid down the facts to her.

 

“You… I..." Lindsay stuttered, shocked at Brian’s words. 

 

“Yes, you what? Enjoyed manipulating me? Enjoyed hurting me? Enjoyed using my hard earned money for your own selfish needs while claiming it was for the kids?” Brian offered with an evil glint in his eyes.

 

“Brian please, I love you so much.” Lindsay sobbed. If nothing else worked, tears would do.


“And right now, I hate you. But soon you’ll be nothing more than a bad memory. Justin and Mel have adopted Gus, so he has two fathers and one true mother now. You’ll never be able to use Gus for your schemes. Have a good life in here. I think you’ll love being here. I mean, who doesn’t like a dose of his own shit? Rot in hell, Lindsay. You’re dead to me.” Brian said and went out of the room straight into Craig’s once again waiting arms. He was done. Done with his old life and those demons. Brian was ready to look forward now.

 


TBC

Chapter End Notes:

I apologize for the late update. Life's so complicated at the moment. My dog Blacky had his surgery (end of May) and then he ran over my mother and accidently broke her shin head. Both are disabled at the moment and need me to take care of them twenty four hours a day. Working on the last chapters for this story is very hard at the moment.

Thank you to my beta Loahisi <333 And to everyone who's waited so patiently for an update.