- Text Size +

Aftermath


Chapter 5





The school bell had rung and Bree was heading outside to wait for whoever was picking her up today. She wanted it to be her Dada, but he still hadn’t come back from Pittsburgh. She tried not to worry, but she missed him so much, and it wasn’t good that he was not there with her and her daddy.


With a heavy heart Bree pushed the door open and exited the school. She scanned the parking lot looking for her Dada’s Jeep, but there was no sign of it. There was no sign of any of the familiar vehicles that usually picked her up. She frowned wondering if this was a day she was supposed to take the school bus and nobody had told her.


She looked around for Patrick. He would know what was what. She didn’t see him or any of the kids he usually hung around with. Patrick’s class must not have been dismissed yet.


Suddenly Bree felt so alone. She wanted her Dada and her grey bunny and her Gamma Joan. She could feel tears behind her eyes threatening to come out. Blinking hard, she tried to keep them at bay.


“Bree?”


“Huh?”


“You okay?” Ashley asked.


Bree had been feeling so sorry for herself that she hadn’t heard her best friend come up to her. “Yeah, I guess.”


“You look sad.”


“I was hoping my Dada would pick me up today, but nobody’s here.”


“My mommy will take you home if you want to wait for her,” Ashley offered.


Bree shook her head. “I want my Dada,” she said sadly.


“I hope he comes home soon,” Ashley said. She threw her arms around her best friend and hugged her tight.


“Everything’s all screwed up,” Bree gulped as the tears started down her face. “Ever since Gamma Joan … died.”


“I know. I’m sorry,” Ashley said sincerely.


“Why did my Gamma hafta die?” Bree asked.


“I don’t know.”


“Me either.”


“Bree?”


“Huh?” Bree turned around to see her Uncle Bobby standing next to them. “Unca Bobby!” Bree cried and threw herself into his arms.


“Easy, sweetheart, what’s the matter?”


“She misses her grandma,” Ashley supplied when Bree did not reply immediately.


Bobby could feel Bree nodding her head in agreement against his chest as he held her. “We all miss her,” he said gently. “But you and your grandma had a very special relationship.”


Bree leaned back so she could look up at her uncle. Her big violet eyes were full of tears. “I love her so much. Why did she hafta go?”


“I’m sure she wouldn’t leave you in a million years if she had a choice,” Bobby said gently. “But her heart just wasn’t up to going on. She loved you very much.”


“I want my Dada,” Bree begged.


“He’s coming home. In fact he might be there when we get home.”


“Really?” Bree asked, the tears in her eyes glistening in the sunlight.


“Really! He called to say he was coming.”


“That’s good, Bree,” Ashley contributed. “I hope you feel better tomorrow.”


“Me too,” Bree said giving her friend one more hug before following Bobby to the car where Patrick was now waiting for them.


“You okay, Bree?” Patrick asked as they got settled in the car. Patrick decided to sit in the backseat with Bree so he could hold her hand all the way home.


Bree shook her head in answer to the question, but she liked the feel of Patrick’s hand holding hers. Her heart was beating pretty fast as they neared the lane. She hoped her Dada would be there.


When they turned in through the gate to the lane, Bree strained forward hoping to see her Dada’s Jeep. It wasn’t there. She let out a weak sob and pulled her hand out of Patrick’s.


“He’ll be here soon,” Patrick promised. “Poppa said he was coming home.”


“No he won’t,” Bree protested. “He’s not coming home. He’s leaving us like Gamma Joan did.”


“Your Dada wouldn’t do that, Bree,” Patrick said trying to reassure his cousin and friend.


“Come on, Bree,” Bobby said. “Your Daddy has snacks ready, and your Dada will be here soon.”


“No he won’t,” Bree contradicted as she got out of the car. “He don’t love me no more.”


“Then who’s that?” Bobby asked as a familiar Jeep barreled up the lane.


“Dada!” Bree shrieked as Brian brought the Jeep to an abrupt halt near the house. Amid a cloud of pebbles and dust, Brian Kinney stepped out of the vehicle. “DADA!” Bree screamed at the top of her lungs. She propelled herself like a rocket towards the source of her sudden happiness. Arms enfolded her and held her tight as she whispered “Dada” one more time.


“Squirt,” Brian whispered back in response.


“I missed you so much,” Bree declared.


“I missed you too.”


“I didn’t think you were ever coming home,” Bree told her father. “I was scared.”


“I’ll always come home,” Brian promised.


“I love you.”


“Love you too, Squirt.”


“Can I have some of that love?” Justin’s voice said.


“Absolutely, Sunshine,” Brian replied, pulling his husband into a fierce hug while still holding onto Bree.


“Absolutely, Daddy,” Bree concurred. Her little face shone with a radiant Taylor smile made all the more poignant by the sparkling tears in her eyes.


“It’s so good to have you home,” Justin whispered.


“Yeah, good,” Bree agreed.


“I feel exactly the same,” Brian said and he meant that with every fiber of his being.


“Let’s go inside,” Justin said. He noted that Bobby, John and Patrick had disappeared into the house probably thinking that the Kinney-Taylor family needed some alone time and some privacy for their reunion. They probably wanted to have the same, since John had come home with Brian as well.


The Kinney-Taylor family walked toward the house, each man holding one of Bree’s hands. When Brian opened the door, Beau stood just inside with a Prada boot in his mouth. He looked up quizzically at Brian.


“Yes, Beau, I have returned,” Brian said trying not chuckle. “I heard that you had taken my boots hostage. Are you going to give them back?”


Beau dropped the boot and gave a woof of approval that his master had returned. Justin quickly grabbed the boot before Beau could change his mind.


“We tried to get them away from him,” Justin said as he handed the boot to Brian. “But every time we got near he would growl.”


“No shit!” Brian said shaking his head. He examined the boot. “Nary a tooth mark,” he observed.


“He didn’t seem to want to chew them,” Justin explained. “He just refused to let us have them.”


“Well, it looks like he got his way,” Brian chuckled.


“Dada, will you sit with me?” Bree asked. She wanted some more of her missing father’s attention.


“I think that could be arranged, Squirt.”


“You two go snuggle on a chaise in the sun porch,” Justin ordered earning a raised eyebrow from Brian. “I know you don’t like to think that you snuggle, but you do it all the time … and very well, I might add.”


Bree giggled. “Yeah, you snuggle good, Dada.”


“Thanks, I think,” Brian replied, but he couldn’t help but smile. He was very glad to be home.


“I’ll bring you both some snacks,” Justin said. “I made some of that savory cheese that you both liked.”


“Yum,” Bree said before she and her older father went to snuggle on the chaise.


They had just gotten comfortable when Beau appeared beside the chaise holding the other Prada boot.


“Is that a peace offering?” Brian asked.


Beau dropped the boot and gave a little woof.


“Thank you for not chewing them up,” Brian said scratching Beau’s ruff.


“He likes that, Dada,” Bree said as Beau’s mouth dropped open in pure enjoyment.


“Yes he does … almost as much as I like being home,” Brian added. Beau laid his big head on the edge of the chaise so that Brian could continue to pet him. All was right in the world.



*****



“Is she asleep?” Justin asked as Brian re-entered the sun porch, a couple of beers in his hand. He handed a bottle to Justin.


“Yes,” Brian replied as he shoved Justin’s hips over on the chaise then snuggled close. Justin had been quietly sketching while Brian spent time with Bree.


After dinner, Brian reviewed Bree’s homework with her, discussed how her culture project was coming along then helped Bree with her bath and hair, which she was quite capable of doing on her own. Then he sat with her as they looked through the albums Joan had given her and read her a bedtime story, which she was also very capable of doing. Brian tucked Bree into bed, grey bunny in her arms then laid down next to her until she fell asleep. He watched his little girl sleep for a while before joining his spouse in the porch.


Brian grabbed the afghan that Joan had made for them from the back of the chaise and threw it over Justin. “We’re going to have to turn on the heat soon,” Brian commented.


The rest of the cottage was still warm enough but as the days grew shorter and the season changed, the sun porch became chilly.


“She missed you.”


“I missed her...and you,” Brian murmured as he kissed Justin’s temple.


“She was convinced that something horrible had happened to you.”


“I know. I think the whole family was waiting for something ‘horrible’ to happen to me.”


“I have faith. The old Brian is gone,” Justin said with conviction.


“No, the old Brian is still here but he’s carefully controlled. I let him out when I’m negotiating a contract or making a pitch to a stubborn client. Then I tuck him away until he’s needed again.”


Justin didn’t know what to make of Brian’s admission. He had never heard Brian talk that way.


“Do you know what I find interesting as I get older?” Brian asked out of the blue. Justin shook his head. “Most of our family have stopped talking about me getting older.”


“What do you mean?”


“No one has mentioned the odd grey hairs I have.”


“Because they only make you sexier.”


“The crow’s feet?”


“They make you look distinguished.”


“And the fact that I’ll be turning fifty next year?” Brian chuckled as Justin sputtered into his beer bottle. “No, Sunshine, I haven’t overlooked it. Brian fucking Kinney, ex-stud and potential over the hill club boy is turning fifty. And I have you to thank.”


“What?” Justin asked, surprise written all over his face as he turned to look at Brian. “Thank me for what?”


“For giving me a reason to live until this ripe old age, and beyond. I have a beautiful family, including those crazy people in the Pitts. I have a brilliant son, a phenomenal daughter and a spouse who’s a household name and not because of his legendary ass,” Brian said with a straight face.


Justin glared at Brian for a second then broke out into laughter, giving Brian his best 100-watt smile.


“See?” Brian said as he grabbed both their beer bottles to put them out of harm’s way. He then wrapped his arms around Justin. “I have everything I could possibly want and I have you to thank for it.” Brian squeezed Justin then held him to his chest.


“Are you really all right?” Justin whispered some time later.


“I will be. I’m still angry at the gods for only giving me a few short years with the old bat but I’m grateful for them too.”


“I know. Joan became such an important part of our family. I’m going to miss her. She became one of our staunchest supporters.”


“That she did. Makes me believe that there really is a god.” Justin gave Brian a look. “Well, some sort of god,” Brian smirked.


“For a minute I thought you found religion.”


“The only religion I’ve found is fucking. I will worship your ass until my last breath.”


“Which won’t be for a very, very long time.”


“Amen, Sunshine.”


“Blasphemer.”


“Damn straight.”


“If you’re up to it, I could use a little worshiping right now.”


“I’m always up, Sunshine,” Brian quipped as he stood up and extended his hand to Justin. Justin took the proffered hand and stood.


“Why don’t you start the shower while I clean up? I’ll be in in a few minutes,” Justin said as he reached up on his toes to peck Brian’s lips. Brian nodded then turned to go.


“I love you,” Justin called after him.


“I know,” Brian said as he nonchalantly sauntered to their room.



*****



“Dada, do I hafta go to school today?” Bree asked her elder father at breakfast. She was understandably a little clingy.


“Yes, you have to go to school,” Brian replied with an arch of his brow. Her sad little pout and batting eyelashes were not working this morning.


“Okay,” she said with a put upon sigh.


“I’ll pick you guys up this afternoon,” Brian said by way of compromise.


“Yay!” Bree shouted then threw her arms around her father.


“Go get your bag. The bus will be here soon,” Brian said.


“Coffee,” Justin mumbled as he stumbled out of their room and into the kitchen which was alive with morning traffic.


“Good morning, Sunshine!” Brian grinned as he handed his partner a cup of liquid life.


“How come you’re so wide awake?” Justin grumbled as he took a sip of the piping hot nectar of the gods.


“Oh, maybe because I slept like a baby in my own bed after a night of hot passionate sex,” Brian said as his grin got wider. He chuckled as Justin batted away his roaming hands and lips.


“I’ve got morning breath. Worse, I’ve got morning and coffee breath,” Justin grumbled.


“I love your morning coffee breath. I love your rumpled bed head and your sleep creased face.”


“Thanks, I think,” Justin sat at the table and nibbled on a piece of toast. He and Brian tore up the sheets last night. For a man approaching fifty, Brian had more than enough energy to wear Justin out.


“Bye, Daddy!” Bree shouted as she ran past her father toward the front door. The school bus was just buzzed onto the lane.


“Bye, Uncle Bri, Uncle Jus!” Patrick called out as he was hot on her trail.


Brian watched the kids get on the bus, waved and then went back in the kitchen to buzz them out the gate.


“What’s his problem?” John asked Brian as John came into the kitchen and headed straight for the coffeepot.


“Youth, quick out of the gate but no staying power,” Brian teased. Justin flipped him the bird as he tried to find a comfortable position on his chair.


“Ah, the reunion,” John surmised. “Don’t feel bad, Justin. I got a bit of a workout myself,” John said with a satisfied grin. He and Brian clinked coffee mugs.


“Anymore coffee?” Bobby asked as he bounced into the room. He was dressed to the nines in his ‘court’ suit. He passed out kisses as John handed him a mug.


“Am I the only one that feels like shit warmed over?” Justin asked as he watched his peppy in-laws and spouse.


They all giggled making Justin glare his best attempt at a Kinney death glare.


“Aw, Sunshine,” Brian said gently as he put his arms around his exhausted Sunshine. “Justin, what have you been doing while John and I were in Pittsburgh?”


“I don’t know. Painting, looking after the kids, shopping, raking leaves, cooking.”


“I’m sorry Justin. I’ve been in court for most of this week,” Bobby admitted.


“It’s no wonder you’re tired,” John said. “You’ve been chief cook and bottle washer for almost a week.”


“Not to mention, worrying about me,” Brian said as he tilted Justin’s weary face up to look in the sleepy blue eyes. “Come on, back to bed,” Brian commanded. “I’m home now and there’s no reason for you to be awake at this time.”


“I gotta go,” Bobby said as he looked at his watch. “I might be late,” he added as he ran out after he kissed John.


“Bri, I’ll be up in my office today, if you need me,” John said to Brian. “You take care of Justin.” Brian nodded as he led Justin back to their room.



*****



“How is he?” John asked as Brian rounded the spiral stairs and came into John’s attic office.


“Still sleeping,” Brian answered as he handed his brother a sandwich and tall glass of milk. It was lunchtime and John was still hard at work at his drafting table. “How did I not notice how tired he was?”


“Don’t beat yourself up about it. Justin’s a big boy. If he wanted help he could have said something. He wasn’t completely abandoned, you know,” John assured his brother. “Besides, you’ve been a little preoccupied. He’s young, he’ll bounce back fast. How are you doing?”


“Better now that I’m home. I love the loft but it’s not me anymore. This is me.” Brian waved his hand around.


“Then it’s a good thing that you’re home, isn’t it,” John teased. “But you have no intention of giving up the loft.”


“Nope, it’s mine until I tear down the building. But if Gus wants to live there, he can, when he’s ready.”


“If he does decide to take over Kinnetik, the loft will be convenient for him.”


Brian nodded. “What about you?”


“What about me?”


“John, we’re a lot alike and I don’t mean our looks. I know you’re worried about Claire.”


“Yeah, that terrible thought did cross my mind more than once but since I can’t do a damn thing about it, life goes on,” John said with a shrug.


“Life goes on,” Brian repeated.


“You going to pick up the kids this afternoon?”


“Yes, I promised.”


“Good. Why don’t we peruse the pantries, make a list then do some shopping before we get them. We can cook up a feast for our hard working spouses,” John suggested.

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Brian agreed. He stood to leave his brother to his work and went to take inventory of the refrigerator.