- Text Size +

Wild Child


Chapter 13


Gus awoke Wednesday morning full of expectation. Justin would call today. Gus was sure he would. He had to.


Gus lay on his bed staring at the ceiling and thinking for a few minutes. Yesterday had been such a weird day. When Mrs. Hadley had first answered the phone, Gus had been holding his breath. He had prayed it might be Justin even if it was a day earlier than expected. It was rare to get calls on the mansion phone. Most of the time his father used his cell phone to communicate with the outside world. Neither he nor his father seemed to have any friends that called them at home. Gus emitted a long sigh as he realized that.


But then to be called to the phone and actually get to talk to his mom had been … strange. He had been so excited to hear Lindsay's voice. He had thought at first that they might have called to ask him to come home. Maybe they were missing him as much as he was missing them. But that hadn't been the case.


They didn't even really seem that thrilled to talk to him. He had been painfully aware of the reserve in their voices and the carefully worded questions. What the fuck was wrong with him? Why didn't anyone really care about him?


And then there had been that chat with his father. He'd have to thank Mrs. Hadley for making his father come down and talk to him. She had actually threatened Brian Kinney and she had not only got away with it, but she had made him do what she wanted. She had even made Brian come down without Greg. Wow! That had been something.


Brian had taken Gus into the library and they had talked a bit. Brian tried to reassure Gus that he wasn't going to send him away. Gus had tried to get his father to see how Greg was pushing them apart, but Brian was having none of that. At first Brian had tried to change the subject and then he simply told Gus that discussing Greg was off limits. Even though nothing had been settled, Gus felt a little safer about his status in the house. It didn't seem likely that he was going to be sent away any time soon, but Greg was still there standing firmly between him and his father.


Gus threw off his sheet and headed for the shower. He was hungry. He hoped Greg wouldn't be up yet, but if that was the case, his father wouldn't be up either.


Gus had breakfast with Mrs. Hadley. They quietly discussed when Justin might call. Mrs. Hadley tried to keep Gus from getting his hopes up too much. She said if Justin was arriving all the way from Europe he might get there late at night or might be too tired to call. Gus was adamant that Justin would call on Wednesday.


After breakfast, with no sign of Brian or Greg, Gus decided to work on the last of his assignments for Bramley Hall. He thought they had turned out pretty well, but he wanted his father to look them over before they had to be turned in on Friday. There was only a little over a week until school started.


Gus went into the master bedroom and through to the study where he curled up in the bay window that he had learned to love. He had to write an essay on the importance of mathematics in everyday life. What a stupid topic! That's why he had left it as one of his last assignments. He tried to think of ways that you needed math to get things done every day. He was lost in thought when he heard a noise from the bedroom.


Gus jumped. He always felt guilty when he was in there. His father had found him that one time and he hadn't been exactly mad at him, but he hadn't been pleased either. Gus held his breath as he heard someone moving around in the main bedroom. Suddenly a figure filled the doorway to the study and Gus looked up to see Greg glaring at him.


"So this is where you hide out all the time," Greg said with a sneer. "You'll have to find a new place to disappear." The intent that Gus should disappear altogether was very clear in Greg's words and voice.


"I like it here," Gus countered.


"Too bad. Your father and I need more room and this will do very nicely." Greg waved his hand around in what appeared to be a grand manner. "Looks like you'll have to find somewhere else to play."


"I wasn't playing. I was working," Gus said indignantly.


"Oh right," Greg laughed. "You flunked the last grade and you're trying to make it up in time for the new school year. Like that's about to happen!"


Gus felt tears of anger and frustration well up inside of him. He was about to scream something foul at this idiot, but he remembered that Justin was going to call. He had to stay calm until he could tell Justin what was going on, and then Justin would help him fix it.


Grabbing up his books and papers, Gus quickly got up and headed for his room. Fuck Greg Fernley! Fuck him to Hell!


"Gus?" Brian said as he came out of his bedroom and saw Gus stomping down the hall.


Gus swept past his father and went into his room. He slammed the door hard enough to make the wood shiver and then immediately locked it.


"Gus?" Brian's voice came through the door. "Gus, what's wrong? Gus, talk to me!"


Silently Gus sat on his bed staring at the door. He heard Brian try the handle and then all was quiet outside. Gus threw himself down on the bed and the tears came. He couldn't have anything of his own, even that one little place in the bay window. Greg was taking everything away from him including his father.


Brian saw the open door to the master suite. When Gus refused to answer, he walked down the hall and looked inside. The room was empty. He stepped in always reluctant to enter without the person for whom the room was intended. Brian gave himself a shake and said, "Greg."


Greg came out of the bathroom with a big smile on his face. "Oh Brian," he gushed, "this room is wonderful. What the fuck are we doing in that dinky room of yours when we could spread out in here?"


"This room is … off limits," Brian said haltingly. He didn't want to have to explain why he could never sleep in this room, especially with Greg.


"What the hell for?"


"I don't have to explain to you … or to anybody. It just is."


"But we're so cramped in your bedroom. We need more space."


"I haven't heard you complaining before," Brian sighed.


"I didn't realize we had this option."


"What … what happened with Gus?" Brian asked remembering why he had come there in the first place, and also hoping to change the subject.


"Oh, he was playing some game, sitting in the bay window in there."


"And…?"


"And I told him he better go to his room."


"That's all?"


"Yeah, he gave me some real attitude."


Brian frowned. He knew Gus could do attitude with the best of them, but he hadn't seen much of that until Greg had come into the picture. "Did you tell him you were taking over this room?" Brian asked the light beginning to dawn.


"Not in so many words," Greg said.


"Don't order Gus around," Brian warned. "He's had a hard time and he needs to be handled gently."


Greg almost snorted, but he caught himself in time. "He seems to enjoy ordering me around," Greg said petulantly.


"He doesn't have the right to do that either."


"Maybe you should make that clear to him."


"I will, but I don't want you and him fighting."


"Sometimes it's bloody hard not to."


"Look," Brian began running his hand through his bed hair. "We've been going to go look at furniture. Why don't we do that today? Let's go get ready."


"Sure, sweetness," Greg said advancing on Brian and rubbing himself against Brian's groin. He could feel the desired result almost immediately. "Why don't we take a shower? The shower in here is huge. Come on." Greg took Brian's hand and tried to pull him towards the bathroom.


"No," Brian said pulling his hand away. "I'm going back to my own shower."


"This is your shower," Greg said looking at Brian like he had two heads.


"No, no, it's not." Brian turned away and had almost reached the hall when he felt Greg's arms come around him.


"Let's not fight," Greg said with a bat of his eyelashes. "I want you."


"I … I want you too."


"Then let's go get that shower," Greg said tugging Brian along behind him down the hall. Greg took one look back at Brian's none too happy face and then at the open door to the master suite which he knew would be his before long. He also knew that in a few minutes he would make Brian very happy. Brian would forget all about his bitchy son. Then they would shop for dining furniture, and maybe some things for the master bedroom. Greg yanked Brian inside their temporary bedroom and slammed the door behind them. Brian let out a long moan as Greg's hand found his cock and his lips welded onto his lover.


"Fuck!" Gus muttered as he heard the door across the hall slam shut. He had a pretty good idea of what Greg Fernley was doing to his father. He shuddered at the thought, but he knew enough about human nature to know that Greg had his father under his spell. Gus really needed Justin to call … and soon.


Deciding it was safe to come out of his room for a while, since his father and Greg would be otherwise occupied, Gus made his way down to the kitchen. He looked hopefully at Mrs. Hadley as he entered. She shook her head with a sad smile. Justin hadn't called yet.


"Did you get your assignments finished?" she asked.


Gus shook his head. "HE interrupted me."


There was no question as to who the HE might be. Mrs. Hadley tried to keep her face neutral. She knew she was already overstepping the bounds by helping Gus contact Justin Taylor. She knew, however, that she loathed Greg Fernley as much as the boy did.


"Shouldn't you try to get your work finished in case we hear something?"


"I guess so, but I think Dad and him are going out later. That is, if he lets Dad out of the bedroom."


"Gus," Mrs. Hadley admonished gently.


"He wants to move into the master bedroom," Gus said with a sigh. "He kicked me out of there."


"Did you tell your father?"


"No, what good would it do? He'll make it sound like I was wrong to be in there."


"Why don't you go for a walk or a swim, and then you can get back to work when you're done?"


"Maybe I will," Gus said.


"Take this with you," Mrs. Hadley said tossing him an apple.


Gus smiled as he caught it. He went out the patio door not sure where he would walk to but he needed some time alone away from you know who. Maybe Justin would have called by the time he came back.


Gus walked around the house looking at the plants in the gardens. There must be some gardener who came and looked after them. He had never seen anyone though, but he was sure his father or Mrs. Hadley didn't do it. He watched a butterfly flit from flower to flower, and marveled that he was there. He remembered his life in Toronto and felt a pang of guilt. His mothers and JR were still there. He did miss them, and he knew a lot of his anger towards them had gone. He'd really like to see them again, but he also knew he didn't want to go back to Toronto. He was glad to be out of that life.


Coming around the corner of the house, Gus saw the garage and went over to it. He opened the door the way he had seen his father do it when they had gone for the ride in the Corvette. The door swung up revealing the classic car inside. Gus approached the 'Vette and opened the driver's door. He saw the key hanging on the wall. It would be fun to take the car for a ride. He was sure he could drive it. He had watched his father carefully. Gus walked over to the key and reached for it. Something told him it would be a big mistake. If he did anything to the car, he knew his father would be furious with him. And he wasn't exactly on the best of terms with Brian at the moment. Gus left the key hanging there and went back to the car. He climbed into the driver's seat and imagined himself whizzing along the open highway, free as a bird and not a care in the world.


While Gus was dreaming in the Corvette, Brian and Greg finally appeared grabbing some fruit and toast before going on their shopping spree. They set off on their jaunt deciding to take the Mercedes.


Some time later Gus reappeared looking for lunch. Mrs. Hadley's face told him that Justin had not called. They ate together with Mrs. Hadley trying once again to keep Gus from getting his hopes too high. Gus spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and completing his assignments for Bramley. He was beginning to fear that Justin wouldn't call when they had heard nothing from him by dinner time.


After dinner Gus went up to his room and read Harry Potter. His assignments were done and he needed to show them to his father. They were supposed to take them to Bramley on Friday and he knew Brian wanted to check them first. He wondered when Greg would let his father come home.


As Mrs. Hadley was getting ready for bed, her personal phone rang. She looked at it with some trepidation. It was after eleven at night. Mr. Kinney wasn't home yet, and she never got calls this late at night. Carefully she picked it up praying that it wasn't something bad about her daughter or granddaughter.


"Hello?"


"Um, is this Mrs. Hadley?"


"Yes, who's this?" she asked with a frown. It couldn't be anything good.


"This is Justin Taylor. I had a message saying that Gus Marcus-Peterson was trying to get in touch with me. This number was on the note."


"Yes, Mr. Taylor," Mrs. Hadley said with a sigh of relief. "Gus does want to meet with you."


"I'd love to see Gus again. How old is he now?"


"He's twelve, almost thirteen."


"Wow, that last time I saw him he was four," Justin said shaking his head. He couldn't believe that much time had passed. "I know it's late, but could I speak to Gus?"


"I'm afraid he's asleep already. I just checked on him."


"Um, may I ask who you are? Are you his nanny?"


Mrs. Hadley chuckled. Justin liked the sound of it. "Goodness no," she said. "Gus is a little old for a nanny. I'm Mr. Kinney's housekeeper."


"Housekeeper?"


"Yes, is that a problem?"


"No, but I'm a little confused."


"I thought Gus lived with his mothers and when did Brian get a housekeeper?"


"I've been his housekeeper for several years now."


"And Gus lives with you?"


"Yes, but that is a recent development."


"Oh?" Justin was confused by this whole scenario, but he decided it was time to get to the crunch. "I'd love to see Gus again," Justin repeated. "But do you know why he is calling me now?"


"I … I really shouldn't comment," Mrs. Hadley said thinking that she should stay out of this as much as possible.


"I need to know if this is something about Brian," Justin said honestly. "Please tell me."


"Yes, it is," Mrs. Hadley admitted. She could hear the pain in the man's voice.


"I was afraid of that. Maybe Gus and I shouldn't meet."


"Oh, he will be so disappointed," Mrs. Hadley said. She really did want Gus to enlist Mr. Taylor's help in getting rid of Mr. Fernley.


"I know, and I'll be disappointed not to see Gus, but maybe that would be for the best."


"Mr. Kinney has a new boyfriend that Gus hates, and he seems to hate Gus," Mrs. Hadley blurted out. She had to do something to help both Gus and her employer. Greg Fernley was not the answer they needed in their lives. Mr. Taylor sounded like he might be.


There was a long pause. Mrs. Hadley was about to ask if Justin was still there when she heard his voice again. "Brian has a boyfriend?"


"Yes, he does, and he's not a very nice man," she sighed. She shouldn't be saying any of this, but her philosophy had always been 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. And she was now all the way in.


"I'm sorry to hear that … that he's not a very nice man," Justin added quickly. "But I don't see what any of this has to do with me. I haven't seen Brian … in years."


"I realize that, but Gus saw the write-up for your show in the paper and thought you might be able to help him."


"Is Brian there?" Justin asked. He really didn't want to talk to the man but maybe they could settle something if he did.


"Mr. Kinney isn't home at the moment."


"Oh."


"I'm not sure when he'll be in."


"Out with his boyfriend," Justin muttered and Mrs. Hadley thought she heard a tinge of something in his voice. Was it jealousy or regret?


"I really can't say," she replied.


"Oh, yeah, that's okay. Look, I think it's best if I stay out of this whole mess."


"I see."


"I don't think anything I could do or say would make any difference."


"As you wish, Mr. Taylor." Mrs. Hadley knew how disappointed Gus was going to be.


"Can you explain it to Gus for me?"


"I can try."


"Thanks."


"It was interesting talking to you, Mr. Taylor. It's too bad that you can't help Gus."


Justin wondered what he was hearing in her voice. It was almost like she was pleading with him to do something. "I'm sorry to disappoint him, but try to explain why. Brian wouldn't want to see me again, and he certainly wouldn't want me interfering in his love life."


"I understand."


"Try to make Gus understand too. Um, if things get too much for him, here's my cell phone number." Mrs. Hadley wrote it down as Justin dictated the numbers. "Maybe it would be best if you didn't give him that right away. Just use it if there's an emergency or something."


"Okay."


"Again, I'm sorry I can't help."


"Thanks for calling," Mrs. Hadley said and the line went dead. She replaced the receiver and glanced at the number she had written on the pad by the bed. There would be no help from that quarter.

 

It was a long time before Mrs. Hadley could get to sleep. Somewhere in that interval, she heard voices in the kitchen and knew that Mr. Kinney had returned. That man must have come back with him. With a deep sigh, Mrs. Hadley tried to find sleep amid thoughts of how she was going to break the bad news to Gus that there would be no help from Justin Taylor.