- Text Size +

Wild Child


Chapter 26


Brian spent a night unlike any he'd had in a long time. He slept peacefully and fully. He awoke early the next morning and stretched luxuriously. He looked at the other side of the bed noting that it was empty. He smiled to himself realizing that the previous night he had had his first date with Justin Taylor. It had gone pretty well. Brian's smile widened. They had talked and laughed and even sorted out a few things. There had been that one kiss and no sex, but Brian had to admit to himself that it was the best date he had ever had. Not that he had much to compare it to.


Brian went into the bathroom and showered. His mind kept conjuring up visions of Justin that had long been seared into his brain. He remembered Justin straddling him on the chaise in the loft. Ice cream kisses that were so sweet! Brian licked his lips as the water cascaded over him. His hand sought his cock.


He thought about the first time he had let Justin fuck him. It had been after the whole Saperstein fiasco and Justin's attempt at being independent. Brian felt his ass clench at the memory, and his hand worked faster.


Then there was Britin and that first day that Brian had brought Justin here. They had fucked on the floor in front of the fireplace. Then they had made love, long and slow. Brian gasped as he shot against the shower wall. After a deep breath Brian steadied himself against the cool tiles of the shower. He cleaned off and climbed out of the shower remembering their ill-fated attempt at going all hetero. The marriage proposal had been all wrong for both of them. But at the time, Brian had thought it was what Justin wanted and he had been willing to do whatever he thought Justin desired.


Wrapping the towel around his hips, Brian went back into his bedroom. His cell phone was lying on the nightstand. It was still early but he picked it up and hit Justin's number. After a few rings, Brian was about to hang up thinking that Justin must still be asleep. Suddenly a sleepy voice answered.


"Hello."


"Hey," Brian said softly, his grin all across his face.


"You're calling early."


"Not all of us are sleepyheads," Brian smirked.


"I was tired from my big date last night," Justin replied stretching and rolling onto his back.


"You had a date?" Brian grinned.


"I did."


"How was it?"


"Not bad."


"Is that all?"


"It was actually pretty damn good," Justin amended not wanting to offend Brian. The date had been wonderful and so unlike anything they had ever done.


"Was the guy hot?"


"Very!"


Brian smiled. "Are you up for another one?"


"Maybe, what did you have in mind?"


"Hm, I don't know. I'm kind of new at this dating thing."


"No kidding?"


"No kidding."


"I have to go to the gallery today. A few pieces have sold and Sidney wants me on display this afternoon."


"How about I pick you up at seven again and we'll have dinner? Maybe I can think of another nice restaurant or something."


Justin smiled. "That sounds great." And it did. He could hardly believe Brian was doing this, and without any sex in return. Justin wasn't sure how long he could continue that. He wanted it as bad as Brian did.


"Do you put out on the second date?" Brian asked suddenly.


Justin almost laughed out loud. "Great minds think alike," he giggled.


"Huh?"


"I was just debating that very issue with myself."


"Then … there's a chance?"


"We'll see."


"Okay," Brian said hoping that this meant what he thought it did.


"I'm looking forward to our second date," Justin said. This whole experience was interesting and fun and … different.


"So am I," Brian admitted. "Later."


"Later," Justin replied before cutting the connection.


Brian dressed and made his way downstairs. He headed for the kitchen looking for coffee. Mrs. Hadley handed him a cup immediately and he smiled gratefully before he noticed that Lindsay and Gus were seated at the kitchen table staring at him.


"What?" he demanded.


"So how did it go?" Lindsay asked.


"How did what go?" Brian asked, knowing full well what she meant, but unwilling to discuss the date.


"You know, Dad," Gus put in his two cents. "Are you and Justin back together?"


Nothing like the young to get right to the point. "It was a … date. That's all."


"Did you have a good time?" Lindsay pursued the point.


"Surprisingly, I did."


Gus grinned. "I knew you would."


"You knew, huh?"


"We have a very intelligent son," Lindsay said looking at Gus fondly.


Brian wondered if they'd had their discussion yet. Lindsay was leaving to go back to Toronto the following day and there were still a lot of loose ends that needed to be worked out. No matter how much he was thinking about his date with Justin, there were some other issues that he really had to deal with.


"Have you two made any plans for today?" Brian asked.


"Not really," Lindsay said.


"Gus, isn't today the day that they have the uniforms on sale at Bramley Hall?"


Gus blanched. Since his mother had been there, he had almost managed to forget that school was looming large in just two days. He shrugged. "I don't remember."


"I do," Brian stated. "Last weekend and this weekend were the two times that the uniforms were being offered. You were kind of out of it last weekend. You can't start school without a uniform."


"That's okay," Gus said hopefully, implying that he would be happy to miss the opportunity of attending Bramley.


"Gus, what happened? I don't understand this attitude about school. You worked so hard to get in."


"I … I'm worried that the same things will happen to me at Bramley as what happened in Toronto," Gus admitted reluctantly. He just couldn't bring himself to admit that it was already in progress.


"It's a different school, and you have, or rather had, a good attitude," Brian stated. "That should make all the difference.


Gus shrugged and slouched in his chair. How could he possibly explain to his father what seemed to be happening to him? It was going to be just like Toronto; he knew it was. And it had to be all his fault. Somehow he brought these things on himself. He wished he knew what it was that caused people like that prefect to know that he was susceptible to their scheming, that he could be pushed around, that the guy could make him do whatever he wanted. Gus could already feel the noose tightening around him, and he didn't like it at all.


Brian decided to take a different tack with the situation. "Gus, go up to your room and see what things you might need for school. Make a list. You know, pens, paper, binders, shoes, and we'll all go shopping and then stop at Bramley for your uniform before we come home."


Gus looked at his mother. He hoped she might object but she merely smiled at him. Reluctantly he left the table and headed upstairs.


"What is going on with him?" Brian said to no one in particular.


"What do you mean?" Lindsay asked.


"I don't understand this sudden fear of school. He seemed fine with going to Bramley back when we started the process."


"This is good, Brian. In Toronto, he would throw a fit and refuse to go to school altogether. I don't think you realize how cooperative Gus is actually being."


Brian thought about that. What Lindsay said was true, but Gus had been at least interested in making a fresh start, enthusiastic being too strong a word. Now he was dragging his feet and looking for a way out. "I just don't get the change in attitude."


"Maybe he didn't think about school before. Now it's two days away."


Brian shook his head. He knew it was something more than that. "Has Gus had a real talk with you about what went on in Toronto before I came to get him?"


"No, why?"


"I told him he needed to apologize and set things straight with you."


"He doesn't need to do that. He's so much better now that he's here."


"I'm glad you think he's better, but he does need to apologize."


"Brian, don't rock the boat," Lindsay said simply.


"Is that how things got to be the way they were? You never rocked the boat, never called him on any of his shit?"


Lindsay let out a long sigh. "I just want everything to be all right."


"And you think I don't?"


"I'm sure you do, but he has this temper…"


"That's something else I have to do. I need to find him an anger management class, or a counselor or something."


"Oh Brian, he'll never do that." Lindsay shook her head.


"Since when does he get to make those kinds of decisions?"


Lindsay opened her mouth to reply but did not have any kind of reasonable answer. She remembered just how fucked up everything had been before Brian had taken their son away. She vowed never to let their lives get into that state again. "I'll go see if Gus needs any help," Lindsay said and left the kitchen.


Brian stared at her back as she left. There was no fucking way Gus was going to dictate the rules in this house. Brian needed to take some action about this immediately. After thinking for a few minutes, Brian took a new cup of coffee and walked to the library. He scrolled through his old Roladex. It was somewhat of an antique, but he had always kept it and updated it ever since he had first started working. Sometimes he just liked watching all the names of people past and present spin in front of him. He stopped the wheel at the "W's". He flipped through the cards looking for Wilder, Alex. When he found it, he dialed the number and leaned back in the big chair behind the desk.


"Hello, doc," Brian said when the phone was answered. "It's Brian Kinney."


"No shit! You finally going to let me inside that beautiful head of yours?"


Brian smiled. "'Fraid not. I'm calling about something else."


"Not Justin again, is it?" Alex asked remembering how Brian had come to him for help in dealing with Justin's post traumatic condition following the bashing.


"No, no, it's not Justin. It's my son, Gus."


"Oh?" The surprise was evident in Alex's voice.


"Gus is living with me now and he has some … anger problems," Brian said hesitantly.


"I see."


"If you don't handle this kind of therapy, could you suggest someone that I might take him to?"


"I have several suggestions. Got a pen?"


Brian jotted down Alex's contact information and asked which one he would recommend as the best. Having done all that, they took a few minutes to catch up on old times and then Brian hung up. He looked at the list knowing that this might cause a major showdown with his son, but it still had to be done.


He dialed the first name on the list thinking he would not connect with anyone on a Saturday morning. He was correct and left a message asking to be contacted as soon as possible. He looked at the other names, but decided he would wait for the first person to contact him. That was the one that Alex had recommended as the best.


With some hesitation, he dialed another number. "Steve?" he asked when the phone was answered. "It's Brian Kinney. How's our baby?"


"Baby's looking good."


"You mean it?"


"I'm looking at her right now, and her resurrection is almost complete."


"No shit!"


"Nope. I managed to get parts from someone I often use, all original, and we're making good progress. I should have her good as new by the end of next week."


"You're a fucking genius."


"Thanks," Steve laughed. "But I love that Corvette almost as much as you do. I couldn't let her be scrapped."


"I owe you," Brian said.


"Oh, you're going to owe me big time. I'll be afraid to show you the bill."


"It'll be worth it," Brian said with a smile. "Give me a call as soon as she's ready."


"Will do."


Brian sat at his desk for a long time lost in thought. His life had been so much simpler only a few weeks ago. He had been footloose and fancy free, hardly a responsibility in the world, at least not of the human kind. And now he had a son with problems, and an old friend and mother of said son with financial problems, and now his lover had returned after such a long time. And there was no guarantee that they were going to work things out. His life might have been simpler, but it had been so much lonelier. He thought maybe he'd accept the complications in return for knowing that he had people to love and people who loved him back.


"Mr. Kinney?" Mrs. Hadley's voice followed a gentle knock on the open library door.


"Yes," he said looking up and trying to focus. He had been miles away.


"I wanted to speak to you about Labor Day."


"Yes, that's coming soon, isn't it?"


"In two days."


"What about Labor Day?"


"My daughter is having a barbecue at her house and I'd really like to attend, but I wasn't sure since you have so many people at the house now, if I'd be needed here or not."


"You're always needed here," Brian said graciously. He watched the smile spread across Mrs. Hadley's face. "But, of course you want to be with your daughter and granddaughter." Mrs. Hadley nodded. "Please, take the day off. Maybe we'll have a barbecue of our own. I could pick up some steaks while I'm out this afternoon."


"Oh, that would be wonderful, and I'm sure Gus and Ms Lindsay will both enjoy that too."


"I want to thank you again for your role in helping Gus. He starts school on Tuesday and I think he's quite apprehensive about it."


"I'll help him in any way that I can."


"I appreciate that."


Mrs. Hadley left the room and Brian allowed his thoughts to wander once again. He needed to make some plans for tonight's date with Justin. It was Saturday and most restaurants and other venues would already be booked. He let out a long breath wondering what he could do that would be new and interesting.


He picked up the phone and hit one on speed dial.


"Hello?" A woman's voice responded.


"Hey, Cynthia."


"Boss? Why are you calling on a Saturday? Is something wrong?"


"No, but I need some help."


"You do?" Cynthia's interest was now really peaked. She rarely heard Brian Kinney ask for help about anything.


"Um … what would you do if you were going out tonight?"


"Huh?" Cynthia responded, not at all sure what Brian meant. "Going out where?"


"Um … like on a date."


"A date?"


"Yeah … a fucking date!" Brian's limited patience was fast being eroded.


"Okay, okay," Cynthia said. "I don't know. We might go to a movie and dinner or a concert. There's a jazz program on down at Riverview Park. We had thought about going, but we have a dinner date with another couple, so we won't be there."


"Would I need tickets?"


"No, it's pay as you enter the park. The Sheer Silk Band is supposed to be quite interesting. That's who is playing."


"Okay, thanks, Cynthia."


"See ya Monday."


Brian hung up the phone. He now had a plan for the day. All he needed was his son and Lindsay and they could get the show on the road.


Several hours later they returned to Britin, laden down with school supplies, Gus' school uniform, two new pair of shoes and lots of underwear for Gus. They had stopped at Bramley Hall where Gus had got his blazer and two pairs of trousers to go with it. Gus had seen the prefect who was tormenting him, but he had managed to send his mother to get his shirts at the table where this prefect was in charge. Gus had seen the smirk on the guy's face and it had sent a chill up his spine. He couldn't let Bramley become just like school in Toronto had been, but he was helpless to know how to stop it.


They had also bought steaks and fixings for a Labor Day barbecue. They had even ordered a computer for Gus, which would be delivered next week. It had been a most successful outing.


They all helped to carry the purchases up to Gus' room. Lindsay stayed to help him organize and put away all the new items. Brian went to his room to shower and get ready for his date.


"Do you think Dad and Justin will get back together?" Gus asked as they worked at opening the packages of underwear and socks and storing them in the dresser.


"I think it would be great if they did."


"Me too."


"Don't get your hopes too high, Gus. Nothing may come of this dating."


Gus made a face at his mother. "Mom," he said softly. "Do you think I'm a better person than I was in Toronto?"


"You seem … better," Lindsay said slowly.


"I … I didn't mean…" Gus started to apologize and then hesitated. He didn't know what to say and his mother might not accept his apology. Maybe it was better if he just said nothing.


"What didn't you mean, Gus?" Lindsay asked gently.


"Um … nothing, Mom. Help me make a space for my new computer."


Lindsay sighed and helped Gus clear his desk.