- Text Size +

Wild Child


Chapter 7


When Gus awoke the next morning, he could hear Brian making coffee in the kitchen. Rubbing his eyes, he called out, "No fair if you have already showered."


"I've been waiting for you to wake up," Brian said walking over to Gus' futon.


Gus looked up. His father had a case of bed head, but not nearly as bad as the day before.


"You win today," Brian laughed. "Yours is much worse than mine."


"How do I know you haven't been up for hours taming yours?" Gus asked with a smirk.


"You think your poor old Dad would waste his valuable time doing that?"


"Yeah, I think you would."


"Hm," Brian said. "Dueling bed heads. All's fair in love and, you know… You could be right about me taming my hair, but I promise I didn't do it this time."


Gus looked quizzically up at his father. "You always keep your promises, don't you?"


"Yes, I do, at least I do my very best to do that. Why do you ask?"


"Um … no reason."


"People respect you if you keep your promises."


"I keep mine," Gus said defensively, "when I want to."


"I don't think that's the same as always keeping your promises," Brian said feeling this was a lesson that Gus needed to learn.


Gus merely shrugged.


"I'm going to take a shower and then I'll make breakfast."


"I can hardly wait to see you cook," Gus laughed, some of his equanimity seeming to return.


"You'll eat it and you'll like it," Brian stated as he went upstairs and into the bathroom.


In the shower Brian had time to think about yesterday and how he had gotten along with Gus. Things had been going pretty well so far. Brian and Gus had managed to get through the day. They had made sandwiches for lunch and went to see a matinee movie. Brian tried to keep things light. He knew the serious stuff was yet to come.


Brian had made several phone calls during the day, always going out onto the landing before talking so that Gus wouldn't hear. He was making arrangements for where they were going to live. He hoped Gus would like it, but he imagined that Gus must be having some misgivings about what his father was cooking up.


At one point Brian had placed a call to Greg Fernley explaining the situation he now found himself in. Brian didn't want to leave Gus alone, but he really needed to see Greg … and soon. They had agreed to meet as soon as Brian could find an appropriate time. Brian had been happy that Greg seemed as eager to see him as Brian was to see Greg. They were both looking forward to their next encounter.


Brian turned off the water and stepped out of the shower. He toweled off, deciding how he was going to explain things to Gus. He knew it wouldn't be easy for him, but he knew his son was entitled to a satisfactory explanation.


"Ready for breakfast?" Brian asked as he came out of the bathroom.


"Can I shower first?"


"Sure, I'll get dressed and start the eggs. Don't be too long."


Gus disappeared into the bathroom and Brian threw on his well worn jeans that he had retrieved from the laundry the day before. He loved the feel of them, loved the way they cradled his cock. He could hardly wait until Greg freed his dick and he could sink it into that willing ass.


"Stop it, Kinney," he muttered to himself as he went down to the kitchen.


He whipped up some eggs ready to scramble them as soon as Gus came out of the bathroom. In another fry pan he put about half of the pound of bacon they had bought at the supermarket. He started it cooking. He set four slices of bread in the toaster ready to be toasted. He poured himself a mug of coffee and stood by the counter thinking.


Brian knew that he had not solved all of Gus' problems by any stretch of the imagination. They needed to talk and that was going to be when the tough stuff would start. Gus had been caught up with exploring new things … and old memories on his trip back to Pittsburgh, but pretty soon, they would have to face the reality that Gus was staying there. School would be starting in a few weeks. He'd have to look into appropriate schools. How did someone select a good one? There was so much he had to learn.


As he flipped the bacon, he heard Gus come out of the bathroom. He turned the eggs on and pushed down the button on the toaster. After a minute Gus appeared at the counter.


"The toast is going to pop, butter it for me."


"Sure," Gus said joining his father on the other side of the counter. Brian lifted the bacon out of the pan and laid it on a paper towel to drain. Gus buttered the toast. Brian stirred the eggs making sure they weren't too sloppy. Then he dished everything up. He set the plates on the counter poured some more coffee for himself and set the jug of orange juice out for Gus.


"This looks good," Gus said climbing onto one of the stools.


"Don't sound so surprised. And you haven't tasted it yet."


"It is good," Gus said with his mouth full.


"I'm a man of many talents," Brian joked.


"I'm beginning to realize that," Gus said with a frown.


"Gus, can we make a pact?"


"What kind of pact?"


"I'm going to do everything to help you be happy and successful at school … and in life. Can you promise to try your best in return?"


"I … I guess so."


"That's not a very ringing commitment."


"I'll try," Gus agreed. He did want a new start. Maybe things would be different here.


"Then we have a deal." Brian held out his hand and they shook.


"I … I hope I can do it."


"I know you can," Brian replied trying to instill confidence in his son.


"I hope you're right," Gus said guardedly.


Brian didn't like the sound of that. He knew that Gus would have to suck it up and really work if he wanted to catch up to where he should be in school, that was, if he could get Gus into a good school. "You done?" Brian asked seeing the empty plate in front of his son.


Gus nodded taking the last gulp of his orange juice. "You're not a bad cook."


Brian smiled. He was good at a lot of things, but cooking wasn't one of them. "Then we're going for a ride."


"We are?"


"You'll see when we get there," Brian said as he loaded the dishwasher. He was glad to see Gus hand him the dishes and then throw the paper napkins in the waste can. He wanted Gus to start taking some responsibility for chores, for his behavior, for himself.


A little over an hour later Brian pulled his Mercedes into the driveway that led up to the mansion he had bought for Justin as a wedding present, only there had been no wedding.


"What's this place?" Gus asked looking around.


"This is where we're going to live."


"You own this place?" Gus asked in awe as they came to a stop. "It's huge."


"Yeah," was all Brian could think to say.


When they climbed out of the car, the front door of the house opened. A middle aged lady came out. She smiled at Brian and looked Gus up and down.


"Mrs. Hadley," Brian said, "I'd like you to meet my son, Gus."


"Hello, Gus," the woman said with a warm smile.


"Is everything ready?" Brian asked.


Gus was looking from his father to this woman wondering who she was and what was going to happen. Was his father going to leave him here with this woman that he didn't know?


Mrs. Hadley made a funny noise and said, "It's as ready as you requested."


"Come on in, Gus," Brian said striding up to the door. "Grab your suitcase from the back."


Brian had told Gus to load up his suitcase with everything he had brought from Toronto, and they had stowed the futon away in the storage unit before they had left the loft. Gus lugged the heavy suitcase into the house. He set it down once they were inside the door. Mrs. Hadley closed the door behind them.


"Gus, Mrs. Hadley is the housekeeper here. She lives in her quarters on that side of the house. Bring your suitcase and I'll show you your room." Brian started up the stairs.


Hauling the heavy suitcase, Gus made his way up the stairs after his father. He noticed how empty the hallway was and the front foyer had been too. He frowned wondering what kind of place this was. Maybe his father was going to torture him or lock him up out here in the middle of nowhere.


"This is your room," Brian said opening one of many doors.


Gus and his suitcase went inside. He noted that the room was much bigger than his one in Toronto had been but it was very bare. There was a double bed all made up and a dresser and nightstand, but nothing else.


"I ordered the furniture before we left Toronto. That's why we had to stay at the loft until it was delivered. We can go pick out some more things to decorate the room later."


"Okay," Gus said slowly. "Where's your room?" He had gotten used to sleeping so close to his father. It made him feel safe. "You're not going back to the loft and leaving me here, are you?" Gus asked suddenly feeling like he was being abandoned.


"It's across the hall," Brian said calmly.


"Can I see?"


Brian sighed, but nodded. He walked across the hall and opened the door. He stood back allowing Gus to enter. Gus looked around noting a room that was much the same size as his. There was a large bed with a leather headboard and a sleek dresser and chest of drawers. They looked like Brian. There were a few pictures on the dresser and nightstand. Gus recognized himself from a few years ago. There was also one of Brian and Justin together. Against one wall was a desk with a computer on top. This room looked like someone actually lived there … his father.


"Do you stay here often?" Gus asked.


"When the mood hits me."


"Are … are we going to live here all the time now?" Gus asked uncertainly.


"Most of the time. I work in Pittsburgh so I may have to stay over at the loft occasionally."


Gus looked at his father. He suspected he knew why his father would stay in town. "Okay," was all he said.


"There's a pool out back," Brian said. "We could go for a swim." It was a hot summer day.


"Okay."


"Go unpack your things. Have you got a swimsuit?" Gus shook his head. "You can wear a pair of shorts until we get you one."


Gus went to his room to unpack and Brian changed into swimming trunks and slipped on some shorts over them. He needed to talk to Mrs. Hadley before Gus came downstairs. Brian found Mrs. Hadley in the kitchen.


"Mr. Kinney, would you like some lunch out by the pool?"


"That would be nice," Brian replied. "I wanted to talk to you for a minute."


"Certainly, sir."


"Gus is going to be living here permanently, and I will be here much more often."


"Does that mean we'll be getting some more furniture?"


"Perhaps," Brian said with a smirk. That had been a long standing bone of contention between them. "I … I have to go out later tonight, likely after Gus is asleep, but you'll keep an eye on him for me, won't you?"


"Of course I will, but do you think it's wise to leave him alone the first night?"


"He's a big boy."


"Yes, he is, but still a boy."


"You think he'll be … afraid?"


"I think he'd feel much better if you were here. He doesn't know me at all."


"Okay, maybe I can put this off until tomorrow night."


"I think that would be better."


With a sigh Brian went out to sit by the pool and soak up the sunshine of the middle of summer. Before long Gus joined him.


"Is your room okay?"


"There's a few things I need."


"Like what?"


"A lamp by the bed."


Brian smacked his forehead. "Never even thought of that."


"Could I get some kind of CD player?"


"I think that could be arranged. We'll go into town after lunch."


Gus turned and dove into the pool. Brian watched him swim up and down a couple of times.


"Where did you learn to swim?"


"The Moms had me in swimming classes before I could walk. I haven't swum in a long time."


"You can swim every day here."


"Until winter."


"Until winter," Brian agreed before he executed a perfect dive into the pool.


They had fun horsing around in the pool. Gus wanted Brian to cup his hands so Gus could put his foot in them and have his father throw him backwards into the pool. They did that over and over and over again. Brian knew he was going to pay for that the next day. Mrs. Hadley brought them lunch and they dined on chicken salad with fresh vegetables and hot bread. Gus' opinion of Mrs. Hadley went up several degrees after the delicious lunch.


Brian drove them into Colchester which was the closest town and Gus got all the things that would help to make his room his own. Brian forked over for a compact stereo system, a lamp, several posters and some new clothes including a swimsuit.


When they got back to the house, Gus wanted Brian to show him around. Somewhat reluctantly Brian agreed. Going through the first floor of the house Gus quickly discovered that all the rooms were unfurnished except for Mrs. Hadley's apartment and one room downstairs. That room was off the front foyer and had a large fireplace. It had a leather sofa and chair and one end table. They were oriented towards the fireplace or the plasma TV on the wall next to the fireplace. There was a sideboard with an extensive liquor supply. The whole room was dominated by a large dynamic painting over the fireplace.


Gus was immediately drawn to the painting. It was powerful with bold strokes and colors. "Wow!" he said. "What's it supposed to be?"


Brian shrugged his shoulders. He knew what it was supposed to represent but he wasn't about to share that with his son.


Gus walked over to the painting and read the name scrawled at the bottom. "J. Taylor," he read aloud. "I never heard of him."


"Yes you have." Gus looked at his father. "It's Justin's work."


"Wow!" Gus repeated.


"His work does have power."


"Did he give this to you?"


"Yes."


"Dad, what happened with you and Justin?"


Brian hesitated, not sure that he could actually talk about it. Finally he mustered his voice and said, "He had to go away to pursue his art."


"Is he coming back?"


"I … I don't know. I don't think so."


"But why?" Gus asked puzzled. "If he gave you something like this…?" Gus made a gesture towards the painting.


"I have something else to show you," Brian said not wanting to answer that question. He led the way out a side door. They went outside to the building that was obviously a garage with doors to accommodate four cars. Brian shoved up the nearest door revealing the old green Corvette. "I told you I kept it."


"Can we go for a ride?" Gus smiled. He liked the look of the car even if it was old.


Brian grabbed the keys off a hook and they climbed in. Brian took them for a drive around the neighborhood helping Gus get oriented to his new surroundings. They passed the local high school where Gus could be enrolled in a few weeks if Brian could get him in. Brian pulled into the parking lot.


"Do you like the look of this school?" Brian asked.


"Why?"


"It's one of the choices for you to go to."


"Do I have to?"


"Of course, you have to go to school."


"Couldn't I study at home?"


"I don't really think that's an option."


"Why not?"


"I have to work, Gus. I can't be here every day to oversee your studies."


"Couldn't Mrs. Hadley do that?"


"That was never part of her job description."


Gus' face fell. "You said this was one of the choices. What are the others?"


"There's a private school the other way from the house."


"Can we see it?"


Brian drove them to the school that he had researched on the internet while Gus had watched a movie the other night. They drove through the gate and stopped near the front of the school. It had the appearance of an Ivy League college even though it was a prep school.


"How do you like it?" Brian asked thinking of St. James and how Justin had fared there.


"I … I don't know. Looks kind of snooty."


"Yeah, I guess it does. They have an open house in a couple of weeks. I thought we could come by and tour the place, talk to the teachers."


"I guess," Gus agreed uncertainly. He didn't think this was the right kind of place for him, but neither was the public high school. He didn't want to go to school. That was where all his troubles had begun.


"Gus, you didn't actually pass last year from what your mothers told me. We may have trouble getting you into either of these schools. You don't want to go back to elementary school, do you?"


"God, no," Gus reacted.


"Then you're going to have to work with me." Brian thought he saw the shiny texture of tears in Gus' eyes but he didn't say anything about them. He started the car and they drove away.


When they got home, Brian put the Corvette back in the garage. Gus said he wanted to have another swim. Brian said he had some phone calls to make and went up to his bedroom. Gus heard him talking as he came out of his room after changing into his swim trunks.


"Maybe tomorrow. I should be in Pittsburgh during the day, so maybe we can hook up after work," Brian was saying.


Gus wondered who his father was talking to, but he headed out for his swim. Mrs. Hadley made them a delicious dinner which they ate in the breakfast nook off the kitchen. Brian had never invested in any kind of dining room furniture. Maybe he would have to do that now.


After dinner Gus wanted to swim again. Brian wondered if he could get Gus on a school swim team. That would give him a positive interest and something to use up teenage energy. Brian called Ted and told him he was planning on being at Kinnetik tomorrow afternoon. Ted would arrange to have anything that needed his attention ready. Brian and Gus watched a bit of TV and then Gus said he was going up to his room. He'd listen to some music and then go to bed. Brian stayed put in the large chair facing the fireplace.


Gus got ready for bed and listened to his favorite CD for a while. He was tired from all the swimming he had done that day and finally fell asleep. Some time later he awoke with a start wondering where he was. Finally it all came back to him. Switching on his new lamp, he looked at his watch. It was 3:35. He wondered if his father was asleep. It felt kind of creepy being in this big empty house.


Gus slid out of bed and went across the hall. Brian's bedroom was empty. He looked out the window of his father's bedroom and saw that the Mercedes was parked out front. His father must still be there unless he took the Corvette. Quietly Gus made his way down the stairs. He could see flickering light coming from the furnished room off the foyer. Gus wasn't sure what he should call it. He crept up to the door and saw Brian sitting in front of a burning fire. It was the middle of summer and Gus wondered why his father would have started a fire in the fireplace. Brian seemed to be lost in thought staring at the painting that hung above the mantle. Instinctively Gus knew he should not interrupt. He went quietly back to his room.

 

Brian stared at Justin's painting reflected in the firelight. He was seeing himself and Justin in the abstract painting and on the floor in front of the fire … making love. That was what he always saw when he sat in front of a fire in here. His heart ached with a longing that didn't seem to ever stop. He took a long drink from his glass of Beam. He didn't think he'd be getting much sleep that night.